Is this Blasphemy?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well your probably confused because there are christians here with various views on it.

Going by what the bible says its blasphemy when you use it in a non-christian way. For example when someone swears they Jesus name in vain. But in your case of how your saying, theres nothing wrong with it. Just like if you were in a bad accident and medics were working on you and you cried out "Dear Lord give me peace!". Nothing wrong with it.

Some people take any form of it offensive for some reason. There are some that won't even accept people saying things that are not using His name like "Oh my gosh!" Which I think its weird to tell people they can't say that because "gosh" is replacing His name.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So then is it saying his name in a negative way that's blasphemy, or just using his name without any purpose?

I modified my last sentence because it is possible to say "Oh Lord" in a way the lowers God's reputation in the eyes of others, but my point was that it was not primarily about that. However, blasphemy refers to reviling God and can refer to cursing the name of God, but I would not consider saying "Oh Lord" when you are in pain to be reviling God, and in the Bible curses had a lot more weight to them than an expletive. Blasphemy comes from the heart, so I don't think it is possible to unintentionally commit blasphemy, so I wouldn't consider saying "Oh Lord" as blasphemy, though it is possible to say it in a way that takes God's name in vain. The Bible also has much to say about the importance of guarding our tongue, so it would be best to avoid using expletives, but quoting a song is less of a problem.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Conker
Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need help determining if it is Blasphemy to say "Oh Lord" in the context of express pain

"I got to the river so lonesome I wanted to die...oh Lord! And then I jumped..."

This passage if from a song, and well Im not sure if that would be using his name in vain, because would it not be the same as in saying "Oh Lord, Im in Pain".

But if its a sin, I want to give it up to please the Lord-- to live in sin no more.

first you must ask yourself what does it meant to use the lord's name in "vain"
i myself never really understand it, when someone says (and please excuse me)
god damn, they are expressly saying " its so bad, that god damns it" and if you think about it in that context, its not as bad, i believe.
but no, its not bad to say " oh lord" in the expression of pain, god has a name and he needs to be addressed by it after all.

• Useful
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Okay so if I'm saying his name when I don't need to, its blasphemy?

I believe it would be decided by one's intention behind speaking His name. We should not speak His name carelessly either.

So in the context of singing a song about pain and suffering would it be a sin?

That would be up to you to decide. If it is within the context of a hymn, then I would say "no"

However, if our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts. If this issue is causing you deep distress due to habitual use, it might be okay to take a deep breathe and pray about it and rest knowing that God understands where your heart is at and that you are honestly trying as best as you can to follow his commands. 1 John 3:18-24

• Useful
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I need help determining if it is Blasphemy to say "Oh Lord" in the context of express pain

"I got to the river so lonesome I wanted to die...oh Lord! And then I jumped..."

This passage if from a song, and well Im not sure if that would be using his name in vain, because would it not be the same as in saying "Oh Lord, Im in Pain".

But if its a sin, I want to give it up to please the Lord-- to live in sin no more.

The only time when we should say LORD is when we are talking to God or talking about God...

• Useful
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I heard a person one time say "Jesus" after we witnessed an accident. He later told me that in his culture that simply calling on the name of Jesus for help, essentially Jesus help me or Jesus help them.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only time when we should say LORD is when we are talking to God or talking about God...

If you don't call the judge in an English courtroom "My lord", you will be jailed for contempt until you do.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you don't call the judge in an English courtroom "My lord", you will be jailed for contempt until you do.

I fail to see the relevance of your comment? We are talking about God not about human judges..

What happens with human judges is up to the worldly authorities and any penalty for not using the right terms when addressing them is up to the worldly Authority.. But that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread ..

• Useful
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I fail to see the relevance of your comment? We are talking about God not about human judges..

What happens with human judges is up to the worldly authorities and any penalty for not using the right terms when addressing them is up to the worldly Authority.. But that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread ..

It has directly to do with what you said. You said that nobody should say "Lord" except when talking to or about God.

I pointed to a direct example in which you must call another human being "Lord" or face severe legal consequences.

"Lord" doesn't mean "God". It means "Leader". The Father is Jesus' God, Jesus is the Leader - the lord - who leads us to God.

"Lord" does not mean God. Even when referring to Jesus, or to God, it's referring to his role as leader, not a name of God.

The difference between lord, Lord and LORD is a matter of which type of miniscules or majuscules one chooses to lose.

Let's not make an idol out of the old English word for "leader".

• Useful
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay so if I'm saying his name when I don't need to, its blasphemy?
I think 'blasphemy' is a little strong.
One can say "Lord" or "Oh Lord" too often i guess, but i don't see a real problem with that.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It has directly to do with what you said. You said that nobody should say "Lord" except when talking to or about God.

I pointed to a direct example in which you must call another human being "Lord" or face severe legal consequences.

"Lord" doesn't mean "God". It means "Leader". The Father is Jesus' God, Jesus is the Leader - the lord - who leads us to God.

"Lord" does not mean God. Even when referring to Jesus, or to God, it's referring to his role as leader, not a name of God.

The difference between lord, Lord and LORD is a matter of which type of miniscules or majuscules one chooses to lose.

Let's not make an idol out of the old English word for "leader".

Ok when people say LORD in a cursing way they are using the name of God in vain.. People don't use the the name LORD in their cursing and they are talking about or thinking about their local human judge..

LORD in al, caps is the acceptable title of God in the Bible.. Just because other people seek to use it does not make it now defunct.. We do not change the title for God simply because some human organisation decided to adopt it for their own use..

• Useful
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I heard a person one time say "Jesus" after we witnessed an accident. He later told me that in his culture that simply calling on the name of Jesus for help, essentially Jesus help me or Jesus help them.

Yes, and I see nothing wrong with this personally. It brings a person's mind and focus back to God in a lot of situations, especially shocking ones. With pain, a lot of times people do cry out "God" without planning to, but I don't think that's blasphemy. I think it only crosses into irreverence when it's used as a habitual term that has no meaning to the Christian.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
There is a song that I liked since I was little, and consider it one of my favorites. It's called Ebony and Ivory, sung by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder, and it deals with the topic of racial harmony. One line says "...side by side on my piano keyboard, oh Lord, why don't we". Listening to the song in context, the black and white keys that lie side by side on a piano is symbolizing the racial unity, and posing the probably rhetorical question of "Oh Lord, why don't we". Now, I don't know as it was originally meant as anything more than a "filler" to fit the meter of the tune. However, my perspective is that this line could be used as a prayer to the Lord for unity. It all depends on the individual and how they hear/see things. I think it is a good, wholesome song (to the point where some would consider it sappy). However, I understand that there are others who may not look at it from this view, especially among those who listen only to Christian music recorded by Christian artists (that is, artists who are Christian and record under known "Christian" labels). Such people think that a secular song of any kind, despite promoting morals, is sinful to listen to, so this song, undoubtedly, would be out of the question. But, that's a topic for another time.

Here are the lyrics to E & I, for anyone interested.

Paul McCartney Lyrics - Ebony And Ivory

Just my opinion.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible states that: "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
The bible DOES NOT state: whosoever shall call upon the name "Lord" shall be saved.

Lord is not a name or "the name." In fact, the word Baal translates as "Lord, The Lord." So who do you think you are blaspheming when you use it as a name.

But this was predict by God:
Jeremiah 23:27
Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

• Useful
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are convicted that it is sinful, treat it as sin. From the lyrics you gave it doesnt sreally show the context of the lines. If its about someone who found God I would say its ok, if its about suicide I would say not.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

From the Large Catechism of Martin Luther, The Ten Commandments, The Second Commandment:

66] The explanation is briefly this: We are not to swear in support of evil, that is, of falsehood, and where there is no need or use; but for the support of good and the advantage of our neighbor we should swear. For it is a truly good work, by which God is praised, truth and right are established, falsehood is refuted, peace is made among men, obedience is rendered, and quarrels are settled. For in this way God Himself interposes and separates between right and wrong, good and evil. 67] If one part swears falsely, he has his sentence that he shall not escape punishment, and though it be deferred a long time, he shall not succeed; so that all that he may gain thereby will slip out of his hands, and he will never enjoy it; 68] as I have seen in the case of many who perjured themselves in their marriage-vows, that they have never had a happy hour or a healthful day, and thus perished miserably in body, soul, and possessions.

69] Therefore I advise and exhort as before that by means of warning and threatening, restraint and punishment, the children be trained betimes to shun falsehood, and especially to avoid the use of God's name in its support. For where they are allowed to do as they please, no good will result, as is even now evident that the world is worse than it has ever been, and that there is no government, no obedience, no fidelity, no faith, but only daring, unbridled men, whom no teaching or reproof helps; all of which is God's wrath and punishment for such wanton contempt of this commandment.

70] On the other hand, they should be constantly urged and incited to honor God's name, and to have it always upon their lips in everything that may happen to them or come to their notice. For that is the true honor of His name, to look to it and implore it for all consolation, so that (as we have heard above) first the heart by faith gives God the honor due Him, and afterwards the lips by confession.

71] This is also a blessed and useful habit and very effectual against the devil, who is ever about us, and lies in wait to bring us into sin and shame, calamity and trouble, but who is very loath to hear God's name, and cannot remain long where it is uttered and called upon from the heart. And, indeed, many a terrible and shocking calamity would befall us if, by our calling upon His name, God did not preserve us. 72] I have myself tried it, and learned by experience that often sudden great calamity was immediately averted and removed during such invocation. To vex the devil, I say, we should always have this holy name in our mouth, so that he may not be able to injure us as he wishes.

73] For this end it is also of service that we form the habit of daily commending ourselves to God, with soul and body, wife, children, servants, and all that we have, against every need that may occur; whence also the blessing and thanksgiving at meals, and other prayers, morning and evening, have originated and remain in use. 74] Likewise the practice of children to cross themselves when anything monstrous or terrible is seen or heard, and to exclaim: "Lord God, protect us!" "Help, dear Lord Jesus!" etc. Thus, too, if any one meets with unexpected good fortune, however trivial, that he say: "God be praised and thanked; this God has bestowed on me!" etc., as formerly the children were accustomed to fast and pray to St. Nicholas and other saints. This would be more pleasing and acceptable to God than all monasticism and Carthusian sanctity.

75] Behold, thus we might train our youth, in a childlike way and playfully in the fear and honor of God, so that the First and Second Commandments might be well observed and in constant practise, Then some good might take root, spring up and bear fruit, and men grow up whom 76] an entire land might relish and enjoy. Moreover, this would be the true way to bring up children well as long as they can become trained with kindness and delight. For what must be enforced with rods and blows only will not develop into a good breed, and at best they will remain godly under such treatment no longer than while the rod is upon their back.

77] But this [manner of training] so spreads its roots in the heart that they fear God more than rods and clubs. This I say with such simplicity for the sake of the young, that it may penetrate their minds. For since we are preaching to children, we must also prattle with them. Thus we have prevented the abuse and have taught the right use of the divine name, which should consist not only in words, but also in practice and life, so that we may know that God is well pleased with this, and will as richly reward it as He will terribly punish the abuse.

• Useful
Upvote 0