Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is it really that you don't agree with what he said (which really isn't very contraversial if you strip away the extra connotations one might assume it has) or is it really that he has not said what you would like him to have said? Or is it that any hint that God might actually use something we do in his plan for salvation is taken as a challenge to the idea that salvation comes from him alone, when those two ideas are not actually incompatible at all?

If we draw false dichotomies and make people choose between things that should - indeed must- be both/ands not either/ors then we are creating disagreements where they should be mutual learning.

See post 79...

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I agree with the text from Isaiah 55 that was put up in response to Staples statement. It is scripture - what Staples says isn't.
Sorry, but I can't find the quote in question. What in Isaiah 55 do you think is incontradiction with his quote and why?

His point being that striving to be like Christ and observing moral law in an effort to gain salvation or merit favor with God - is a waste of time. We do these things as a result of salvation - not a means to it. Hence the difference between us.
It seems that part of your problem might be in seeing salvation as entirely a past event, loosing the scriptural tension of both now and not-yet.

Reactions: Secundulus
Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry - I meant Isaiah 52. Here is the text -

Isa 52:13–53:11

““Look, my servant will succeed! He will be elevated, lifted high, and greatly exalted– (14) (just as many were horrified by the sight of you) he was so disfigured he no longer looked like a man; (15) his form was so marred he no longer looked human– so now he will startle many nations. Kings will be shocked by his exaltation, for they will witness something unannounced to them, and they will understand something they had not heard about. (1) Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the LORD’s power revealed through him? (2) He sprouted up like a twig before God, like a root out of parched soil; he had no stately form or majesty that might catch our attention, no special appearance that we should want to follow him. (3) He was despised and rejected by people, one who experienced pain and was acquainted with illness; people hid their faces from him; he was despised, and we considered him insignificant. (4) But he lifted up our illnesses, he carried our pain; even though we thought he was being punished, attacked by God, and afflicted for something he had done. (5) He was wounded because of our rebellious deeds, crushed because of our sins; he endured punishment that made us well; because of his wounds we have been healed. (6) All of us had wandered off like sheep; each of us had strayed off on his own path, but the LORD caused the sin of all of us to attack him. (7) He was treated harshly and afflicted, but he did not even open his mouth. Like a lamb led to the slaughtering block, like a sheep silent before her shearers, he did not even open his mouth. (8) He was led away after an unjust trial– but who even cared? Indeed, he was cut off from the land of the living; because of the rebellion of his own people he was wounded. (9) They intended to bury him with criminals, but he ended up in a rich man’s tomb, because he had committed no violent deeds, nor had he spoken deceitfully. (10) Though the LORD desired to crush him and make him ill, once restitution is made, he will see descendants and enjoy long life, and the LORD’s purpose will be accomplished through him. (11) Having suffered, he will reflect on his work, he will be satisfied when he understands what he has done. “My servant will acquit many, for he carried their sins.” —New English Translation​

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Sorry - I meant Isaiah 52. Here is the text -

Isa 52:13–53:11
““Look, my servant will succeed! He will be elevated, lifted high, and greatly exalted– (14) (just as many were horrified by the sight of you) he was so disfigured he no longer looked like a man; (15) his form was so marred he no longer looked human– so now he will startle many nations. Kings will be shocked by his exaltation, for they will witness something unannounced to them, and they will understand something they had not heard about. (1) Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the LORD’s power revealed through him? (2) He sprouted up like a twig before God, like a root out of parched soil; he had no stately form or majesty that might catch our attention, no special appearance that we should want to follow him. (3) He was despised and rejected by people, one who experienced pain and was acquainted with illness; people hid their faces from him; he was despised, and we considered him insignificant. (4) But he lifted up our illnesses, he carried our pain; even though we thought he was being punished, attacked by God, and afflicted for something he had done. (5) He was wounded because of our rebellious deeds, crushed because of our sins; he endured punishment that made us well; because of his wounds we have been healed. (6) All of us had wandered off like sheep; each of us had strayed off on his own path, but the LORD caused the sin of all of us to attack him. (7) He was treated harshly and afflicted, but he did not even open his mouth. Like a lamb led to the slaughtering block, like a sheep silent before her shearers, he did not even open his mouth. (8) He was led away after an unjust trial– but who even cared? Indeed, he was cut off from the land of the living; because of the rebellion of his own people he was wounded. (9) They intended to bury him with criminals, but he ended up in a rich man’s tomb, because he had committed no violent deeds, nor had he spoken deceitfully. (10) Though the LORD desired to crush him and make him ill, once restitution is made, he will see descendants and enjoy long life, and the LORD’s purpose will be accomplished through him. (11) Having suffered, he will reflect on his work, he will be satisfied when he understands what he has done. “My servant will acquit many, for he carried their sins.” —New English Translation
And why do you think what he said contradicts that?

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
As Rush Limbauh would say, for those in Rio Linda Ca.

we are still on the hook for our life, our sins, our detours from the faith....

Jesus bought our ticket....punched the clock on the way in....we have been given potential, what we do with it, is up to us, and will be evaluated in the last days, like the parable of the talents...

it ain't all downhill....carte blanch....thing....

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

As Rush Limbauh would say, for those in Rio Linda Ca.

we are still on the hook for our life, our sins, our detours from the faith....

Jesus bought our ticket....punched the clock on the way in....we have been given potential, what we do with it, is up to us, and will be evaluated in the last days, like the parable of the talents...

it ain't all downhill....carte blanch....thing....

So how many of your sins did Jesus die for and how many do you need to die for?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So how many of your sins did Jesus die for and how many do you need to die for?

Jesus died for our sin .

the root of our multitude of sins

so in the same way love fulfills the many laws

and covers over a multitude of sins

so does addressing the root heal the whole tree .

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope, that seems to be his position. That's why it is a good idea to quote stuff from official sources rather than folks on the interwebs.
I'm still wondering how you get away with not having to identify yourself with a faith icon that identifies you as a Roman Catholic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm still wondering how you get away with not having to identify yourself with a faith icon that identifies you as a Roman Catholic.

I didn't know that faith icons were required. Many people use the generic "Christian" or "Non-Denominational" icon anyway.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't know that faith icons were required. Many people use the generic "Christian" or "Non-Denominational" icon anyway.

Um, they aren't. As like me, a lot of people probably aren't sure when it is appropriate to switch faith icons anyways, and so we get to use the generic one. You are not at all required to use a specific one. It is purely an optional thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.