South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I recall reading about a young female wrestler whose tapes and photos have been stolen. They contained graphic information, so I don't wish to get a warning. Anyways, there are people who often say that people whose graphic information doesn't wish to get stolen should not have photos or tapes made in the first place. I don't think it is fair way to judge a situation. I understand the "buyer beware", "be careful", or "not to put yourself in a situation", but would all of those situations also constitute victim blaming? While it doesn't happen to the sexes equally, should young men also be cautioned of this if they were victimized by anyone wishing to expose their most private moments?

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If someone does something you described, both parties are equally to blame.

For example, say I'm thoughtless and leave an iPad to get stolen at the cafe. A thief steals it. The thief should be the only one to get prosecuted, but it was also my fault - I deserve some verbal blame.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think both parties are to blame. Take the recent leak no intimate pics of two female celebs again. If your a super famous world wide celeb then you value your privacy. So you shouldn't be taking those kind of photos of yourself and then uploading them to places like "The Cloud". I mean I don't even use the Cloud or anything online storage wise because its dangerous. An Cloud like services are VERY vulnerable to hackers since they are a newer technology. If you want to take such photos put them on a flashdrive or use a polaroid camera.

Now, I always ask the better question "Why even take intimate photos anyways?". Are they just so you can look at them? Why? Seems weird. Especially as a christian. Theres nothing wrong with nudity to some degree, God made us naked. But taking a picture means it will never go away, its there forever to be accidently found/hacked. Though I don't think its a sin to take such photos. I will say the one exception is if you are taking them for medical purposes. Like you had a surgery and want to see the before/after results. Or if your a married couple who lets say the one spouse is overseas for a few months and...well you know.

Now who should be punished? Well if those photos gets out then thats punishment enough feeling embarrassed and upset. But the person finding the photos should for sure be punished for an actual crime. Stealing. And more if that person shared them. If its a christian who stole them (and shared them) then theres going to be some really heavy praying for repentance for them.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Before blaming the victim for carelessness I'd want it confirmed that she was careless. There is a world of difference between making a video and making the video, talking about it and then leaving it out on the coffee table.

Do we even think of blaming a car owner for their car getting stolen? Pretty much no unless they leave the keys in the car.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I understand the "buyer beware", "be careful", or "not to put yourself in a situation", but would all of those situations also constitute victim blaming?

Yes. People trust people, and it's kind of necessary and normal.

It can seem like some people dislike sex, like this dislike rapists.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If someone does something you described, both parties are equally to blame.

For example, say I'm thoughtless and leave an iPad to get stolen at the cafe. A thief steals it. The thief should be the only one to get prosecuted, but it was also my fault - I deserve some verbal blame.

Often it isn't a random person. If I put my phone down and my 'boyfriend' steals it... that's not my fault. If everyone suspects everyone, everyone will get a stress illness.

In my opinion it's good to trust others and be human.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think both parties are to blame.

Good old rapists... keeping in the moderate ground.

Take the recent leak no intimate pics of two female celebs again. If your a super famous world wide celeb then you value your privacy. So you shouldn't be taking those kind of photos of yourself and then uploading them to places like "The Cloud". I mean I don't even use the Cloud or anything online storage wise because its dangerous. An Cloud like services are VERY vulnerable to hackers since they are a newer technology. If you want to take such photos put them on a flashdrive or use a polaroid camera.

So... if most people say it's fine to walk through the park, the park is great... and I get raped in the park, that's equally my fault. My slightly optimism is just as bad as being a rapist?

Morality; optimism and rape are the same.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Before blaming the victim for carelessness I'd want it confirmed that she was careless. There is a world of difference between making a video and making the video, talking about it and then leaving it out on the coffee table.

Do we even think of blaming a car owner for their car getting stolen? Pretty much no unless they leave the keys in the car.

Can we say this thread is awful so far? It's not her fault. We NEVER blame old people for being manipulated through the internet. It's just the 'hippies'. Violated? It's okay 'hippy'. Raped... maybe drink less or cover up 'hippy'. A women is taken and killed by a man, what is the state of women's morality?

(I would use a word other than hippy if I was allowed).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I recall reading about a young female wrestler whose tapes and photos have been stolen. They contained graphic information, so I don't wish to get a warning. Anyways, there are people who often say that people whose graphic information doesn't wish to get stolen should not have photos or tapes made in the first place. I don't think it is fair way to judge a situation. I understand the "buyer beware", "be careful", or "not to put yourself in a situation", but would all of those situations also constitute victim blaming? While it doesn't happen to the sexes equally, should young men also be cautioned of this if they were victimized by anyone wishing to expose their most private moments?
What do you mean, "tapes and photos?" Are they tapes and photos of competition matches that she was in? Or tapes and photos of her changing? Or were these tapes and photos that she took herself on her phone that somehow got copied and leaked without her consent?

Upvote 0

Shard

The Echelon
Oct 19, 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
✟18,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do you mean, "tapes and photos?" Are they tapes and photos of competition matches that she was in? Or tapes and photos of her changing? Or were these tapes and photos that she took herself on her phone that somehow got copied and leaked without her consent?

They are videos of sexual acts with other pro wrestlers. They were on her phone which allegedly got stolen by a fan. Then the videos and photos were leaked online. According to sources most of the stuff is 3 or 4 years old.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

When I wrote graphic, I was referring to personal, graphic sexual content that is not safe for work. They were tapes were there were graphic sex acts that took place. She knew about her being videotaped. She claims her tapes were stolen and she and her mother are now taking legal action.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I wrote graphic, I was referring to personal, graphic sexual content that is not safe for work. They were tapes were there were graphic sex acts that took place. She knew about her being videotaped. She claims her tapes were stolen and she and her mother are now taking legal action.
Oh. I wonder what her legal options are.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So... if most people say it's fine to walk through the park, the park is great... and I get raped in the park, that's equally my fault. My slightly optimism is just as bad as being a rapist?

Morality; optimism and rape are the same.
Feel free to twist my words as a SJW. Not even sure how the silly example you brought up is the same as a sex tape/photo. A sex tape is a private thing that no one should see. Walking through the park is nothing private. Its just walking through the park. If you get raped then obviously its not your fault. I mean I seriously hope no one really believes it would be the rape victims fault.

Now back to the sex tapes. If the person didn't know about the recording. Then obviously only the thief is to blame. But if you knew/wanted it to be filmed, then you put your trust in someone elses hands. So your half to blame. And putting it on the Cloud for example is just really silly. I mean any computer geek can tell you using things like the Cloud is not advisable with personal info.

I will say I seen an article at a website that talked about the celeb photos that were leaked (that the celebs took of themselves) and one woman was saying the thief should be charged as a rapists. And anyone looking at the pictures was also a rapist. I mean... we can agree the guy (assuming it was a guy) who hacked the cloud for them is a terrible person. But a rapist?!? Talk to someone whos actually been raped and they will be hurt and insulted that the word rape is being used in something that didn't involve any rape. Ask my mother. When I told her she was furious. She was molested, raped and beaten by her father for the first 16 years of her life. Almost every day. You CANNOT compare that and say looking at a leaked celeb photo is the same exact thing.

BTW not saying you should look of course. Just saying theres a very big difference. Its like saying spam and steak are the same exact thing. Or McDonalds is the same as a 5 star world renown restaurant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shard

The Echelon
Oct 19, 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
✟18,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Was it her intent to keep the information private? Did she take measures to keep it private? Was the information away from the public when it was stolen? These are things to consider imo

From everything I have seen they were stored on her phone. Apparently her phone was set down while interacting with fans and someone swiped it and it was gone.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's change the scenario. So, let's say a man is walking through the parking lot to his car after work, in broad daylight. This man is fully clothed, wearing a business suit. A mugger runs up to him with gun drawn and says "Give me your wallet and cell phone". The man hands over his wallet and cell phone. The mugger runs off.

The man then returns to his office and calls the police. While questioning him, the police say "What were you wearing during the mugging?" The man says "I fail to see how that is relevant." The officer says "Were you wearing this business suit?" The man confirms that he was. The officer then says "Well, then you were asking for it. If you didn't want to get mugged, you shouldn't have looked so rich in that flashy suit."

So there you go. You can blame anyone for anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Well, then you were asking for it. If you didn't want to get mugged, you shouldn't have looked so rich in that flashy suit."
I have heard such comments. Even ones like having the wrong color of skin to be in that part of town. (white guy in a business suit walking thru the ghetto)

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's change the scenario. So, let's say a man is walking through the parking lot to his car after work, in broad daylight. This man is fully clothed, wearing a business suit. A mugger runs up to him with gun drawn and says "Give me your wallet and cell phone". The man hands over his wallet and cell phone. The mugger runs off.

The man then returns to his office and calls the police. While questioning him, the police say "What were you wearing during the mugging?" The man says "I fail to see how that is relevant." The officer says "Were you wearing this business suit?" The man confirms that he was. The officer then says "Well, then you were asking for it. If you didn't want to get mugged, you shouldn't have looked so rich in that flashy suit."

So there you go. You can blame anyone for anything.
That makes no sense for a comparison. Though depends on what your compraing to. Someone secretly recording someone having sex, in which case the comparison makes sense. But if you are comparing it to a celeb taking nude pics and uploading it to the cloud where it gets stolen, then the comparison makes no sense.

Upvote 0