• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this an eating disorder?

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟8,053.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last February I became very ill and couldn't get food down. I went two weeks without eating and haven't gotten my appetite back a year later. I have very little interest in food and have lost over (#) pounds and (#) inches off my waist. I used to love to cook and bake and lost interest in that. I did make a homemade coconut, custard pie last night and am enjoying that. I plan on making a sweet potato, ham casserole if I can find the energy to do that. My problem is the lack of energy and motivation. Walking and standing have become very difficult. Other than my lack of interest in food, I can't say I have an eating disorder. Not eating properly has allowed me to lose the weight I've always wanted to lose, but I've also lost muscle tone and strength. I fall a lot because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think it's an eating disorder, I just think something changed in you after the bout with that illness. I think you should be sure to take vitamins and meal replacement drinks if you have no appetite to at least get the nutrients you need, and go to the gym to do some light weight lifting to keep your muscle tone. Do some leg weight lifts, nothing too heavy like 10 or (#) pounds just to keep your muscles and same thing for your arms, just (#) or (#) nothing too strenuous. It seems like whatever that was that made you sick took a lot out of you and your body still has to recover from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

sparkle123

Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't sound like an eating disorder, but I don't know. I skip meals out of lack of motivation, but I am prone to depression and anxiety which make eating difficult. I would get the lack of physical strength checked out though and talk to a doctor. Falling a lot definitely isn't an indicator of health...

Upvote 0

cant_think_of_a_name

Jan 8, 2017
USA
✟10,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Grandpa4,

I honestly can't say whether it is or isn't ED, but I recommend seeing a doctor about it. Just be honest about all your symptoms and they may have a recommendation.

I once lost a ton of weight from a combination of lack of interest in food and gastro problems. I heartily denied I had anorexia, but I didn't get better until I accepted ED treatment and learned to eat when I didn't want to. Whether I had ED or not, the treatment helped. If you have really poor appetite, it takes a lot of strength to go against the common message of high calorie foods being "bad."

Also (and I am NOT a professional and don't know all your medical conditions, so insert all the proper disclaimers), but generally it isn't good to rely on just a high protein/high fat diet. I didn't restore weight until I learned to embrace carbs and sugar. (Of course, balance is key.)

Hope you get better soon!!

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last February I became very ill and couldn't get food down. I went two weeks without eating and haven't gotten my appetite back a year later. I have very little interest in food and have lost over (#) pounds and (#) inches off my waist. I used to love to cook and bake and lost interest in that. I did make a homemade coconut, custard pie last night and am enjoying that. I plan on making a sweet potato, ham casserole if I can find the energy to do that. My problem is the lack of energy and motivation. Walking and standing have become very difficult. Other than my lack of interest in food, I can't say I have an eating disorder. Not eating properly has allowed me to lose the weight I've always wanted to lose, but I've also lost muscle tone and strength. I fall a lot because of it.

Interesting.
How old are you? How active have you been in your life? Did you take antibiotics during your illness? What is your BMI (body-mass-index)? What other age-related illnesses or disorders have you had in recent years (only if you care to reveal them)? Have you considered depression as a possible cause? What does your doctor say?
Not a doctor, just curious.

Upvote 0