Is this acceptable as an Orthodox catechumen?

Melily

Feb 3, 2021
Noblesville
✟33,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
*Orthodox Topic*
I had a situation at a home visit for one of my patients yesterday and wanted to get some insight from people here if possible.
As I was preparing to leave my patient’s home she asked if she could pray for me so I said yes. She is a very kind and devout Protestant and held my hand prayed for me to be protected in my work helping others. It wasn’t until later in the day that I started to wonder if as a catechumen there might be an issue with this. Forgive me if it’s an ignorant question as I still have a lot to learn. All I said was Amen at the end of the prayer. I appreciated her caring for me in that manner and it would have felt rude to refuse. I also think it was her way of showing appreciation for my help.

Melily

Feb 3, 2021
Noblesville
✟33,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
no, nothing wrong as a catechumen. usually when that happens to me, I pray on my own or afterwards if someone else is praying.
Thank you! May I ask if you pray an Orthodox prayer with the other person or just one on your own after leaving their company? It was an interesting experience. Although I’m very familiar with the Protestant free flowing way of praying I feel I’m already becoming more accustomed to the Orthodox prayer and it seems better for me.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! May I ask if you pray an Orthodox prayer with the other person or just one on your own after leaving their company? It was an interesting experience. Although I’m very familiar with the Protestant free flowing way of praying I feel I’m already becoming more accustomed to the Orthodox prayer and it seems better for me.

if I can pray I do. if someone else prays I will stand respectfully, but I won't bow my head or anything like that.

Reactions: Melily
Upvote 0