• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this abnormal?

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I cannot stand to give blood.Whenever I go for my checkup at the doctor,when I give blood,I always get lightheaded and faint sometimes.If I have a really bad stomach ache,I start to feel lightheaded.I am a little thin so my blood pressure tends to be lower than most,but it is not at an abnormal number.Whenever my blood results come back, it comes back clear.But I just think this is abnormal.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I cannot stand to give blood.Whenever I go for my checkup at the doctor,when I give blood,I always get lightheaded and faint sometimes.If I have a really bad stomach ache,I start to feel lightheaded.I am a little thin so my blood pressure tends to be lower than most,but it is not at an abnormal number.Whenever my blood results come back, it comes back clear.But I just think this is abnormal.
I have had the same problem sometimes...

I don't know if we instinctively know about about our blood, and blood somehow as believers, but/and/because/also some might say that is all in your head though and you should be able to change it or something...

God Bless!

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hated getting shots and blood tests from childhood . The only reason I didn’t collapse in hysterics was because I had super strict parents who would have beaten me for doing that and I was already afraid of the pain from the shot. The worst one was that glucose test they give you when you’re pregnant. Getting blood taken every half hour for 3 hours. I got sick to my stomach the first time they did it and the nurse thought I was going to pass out. I have to get flu shots for my job and the only reason I get them is because I hate getting the flu more.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's definitely not abnormal, for several reasons. When you have your blood taken, it can cause a vasovagal reaction, which is a physical response from your nervous system. It can be triggered by anxiety, which sometimes can be subconscious and unexpected. It's not just those who have needle phobias or a fear of blood who can have anxiety percolating in them over a blood draw. With vasovagal reactions, some people feel nauseated, dizzy, start sweating, look pale, or have a temporary drop in heart rate or blood pressure. It can even cause fainting. I almost always faint after blood tests because my blood pressure and sugar levels drop rapidly. It's why I carry salty and sugary snacks with me to have immediately afterwards, and do not plan anything important within a two hour time window. I always lie down for the test, and stay put there until after my BP has risen. I also find it helpful to be mindful about my breathing, making sure it's steady.

I'm not sure how old you are, but vasovagal reactions are the most common in teens and young adults, most of whom are perfectly healthy.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I hated getting shots and blood tests from childhood . The only reason I didn’t collapse in hysterics was because I had super strict parents who would have beaten me for doing that and I was already afraid of the pain from the shot. The worst one was that glucose test they give you when you’re pregnant. Getting blood taken every half hour for 3 hours. I got sick to my stomach the first time they did it and the nurse thought I was going to pass out. I have to get flu shots for my job and the only reason I get them is because I hate getting the flu more.
For me it's not shots so much, (though I hate needles, and getting poked with needles) but it is the drawing and taking blood from me...? I feel drained almost immediately a lot of the time... Sometimes pass out, then come to in a minute...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have had the same problem sometimes...

I don't know if we instinctively know about about our blood, and blood somehow as believers, but/and/because/also some might say that is all in your head though and you should be able to change it or something...

God Bless!
Yeah I think maybe I have low pain tolerance or I pysche myself up too much and pass out

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can do shots,but I cannot stand seeing blood leave my body.It was not always like this,I just recently started a few years ago,I just do not know why.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's definitely not abnormal, for several reasons. When you have your blood taken, it can cause a vasovagal reaction, which is a physical response from your nervous system. It can be triggered by anxiety, which sometimes can be subconscious and unexpected. It's not just those who have needle phobias or a fear of blood who can have anxiety percolating in them over a blood draw. With vasovagal reactions, some people feel nauseated, dizzy, start sweating, look pale, or have a temporary drop in heart rate or blood pressure. It can even cause fainting. I almost always faint after blood tests because my blood pressure and sugar levels drop rapidly. It's why I carry salty and sugary snacks with me to have immediately afterwards, and do not plan anything important within a two hour time window. I always lie down for the test, and stay put there until after my BP has risen. I also find it helpful to be mindful about my breathing, making sure it's steady.

I'm not sure how old you are, but vasovagal reactions are the most common in teens and young adults, most of whom are perfectly healthy.
I am in my 20's.I am going to try that, keeping a snack with me,and making sure I eat before I get my blood taken,maybe it will help.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do you think when a nurse takes your blood just a couple of small vials that it might just be a psychological impact it has on one's mind that you think they're going to drain all of your blood and one goes into a panic? When I get blood work done I don't look at it being done by somewhat turn my head and just envision I'm on a sail boat looking at a beautiful sunset. Seems to work for me every time. I do the same if I"m put in an MRI machine.

I've known so many which get very stressed and have to take medicine before going into an MRI. It's never really bothered me for I practice the same thing imaging I'm on a boat looking at scenery. Or I've found this helpful....when put in a machine I close my eyes and just focus on counting very slowly to say a number like 1000. When I get up to 853 the test is done. If these things bother you it just helps the mind to continually calm down to know it's not going to last forever. I find it tends to push panic away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you think when a nurse takes your blood just a couple of small vials that it might just be a psychological impact it has on one's mind that you think they're going to drain all of your blood and one goes into a panic? When I get blood work done I don't look at it being done by somewhat turn my head and just envision I'm on a sail boat looking at a beautiful sunset. Seems to work for me every time. I do the same if I"m put in an MRI machine.

I've known so many which get very stressed and have to take medicine before going into an MRI. It's never really bothered me for I practice the same thing imaging I'm on a boat looking at scenery. Or I've found this helpful....when put in a machine I close my eyes and just focus on counting very slowly to say a number like 1000. When I get up to 853 the test is done. If these things bother you it just helps the mind to continually calm down to know it's not going to last forever. I find it tends to push panic away.
I think that may be it.I just get anxiety over the needle being in my arm and possibly causing more damage then intended.I will try that method.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to donate blood frequently. (O neg) That stopped back in the late 1980s when the Red Cross said they found something wrong. At that point I had donated over 3 gallons, maybe 4, they lost their records and had to start over.

But almost every time I donated, there were people who were light headed and some even fainted. I even got light headed a couple of times.

So that is not strange at all.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am in my 20's.I am going to try that, keeping a snack with me,and making sure I eat before I get my blood taken,maybe it will help.
Not only eat, but drink liquids before going, like fruit juice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
They make you fast before doing a blood test?
Yeah, they don't with you...? Night before and morning after, your not supposed to eat after a certain time the night before or before the appointment the next day...? That's the way it is with almost everyone here I know of in my area, it's not that way where your from...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, they don't with you...? Night before and morning after, your not supposed to eat after a certain time the night before or before the appointment the next day...? That's the way it is with almost everyone here I know of in my area, it's not that way where your from...?

God Bless!
No they have never told me that before.At least I don't think so.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That seems quite common,
but it may be best to find another way, another doctor, if possible, who can test you in different less intrusive ways.
If you mean that you donate blood, stop. It looks like it may hurt your health knowingly or unknowingly as it has many others.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It depends what they’re testing as to whether or not they get you to fast here. Some glucose tests and some cholesterol tests I know they make you fast for but as much of the time as possible they don’t.

I feel awful after blood tests. My veins are as busted as anything. In A&E they have to get ultrasound and anaesthetists to get cannulas into me. When I go for blood, they aren’t as nice. They just stab me a dozen times trying to find veins. The worst was 14! I’ve always felt a bit dizzy and disoriented at best after blood tests when I was a kid but it’s much worse for me after multiple stabbings. I have to plan someone else to drive me and take water and chocolate. Or I have to wait around ages to drive myself home. I don’t like that.

When I was younger I was quite embarrassed by my reaction but as I got older and had tests more frequently I realised it’s much more common than I thought.

Upvote 0