• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this a sin?

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was curious...

Me and my friends mess with each other a lot during school... No we don't pull mean, nasty tricks on each other, but here is what I was wondering if it is a sin...

Sometimes we'll greet each other with a punch to the shoulder,

Sometimes we'll just punch each other in the gut or shoulder for fun or have small punching matches till the other gives up...

We never punch each other hard, but we don't punch each other easy either...

We also will throw stuff at each other like bottle caps (which we can actually get to fly faster than a rubber band) and rubber bands...

So I was wondering if it is a sin to mess with other ppl like that, even when both people are doing it for fun...

I know it's a strange thing to ask, but sometimes I don't feel right doing it...

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
88Devin07 said:
I was curious...

Me and my friends mess with each other a lot during school... No we don't pull mean, nasty tricks on each other, but here is what I was wondering if it is a sin...

Sometimes we'll just punch each other in the gut or shoulder for fun or have small punching matches till the other gives up...

We also will throw stuff at each other like bottle caps (which we can actually get to fly faster than a rubber band) and rubber bands...

So I was wondering if it is a sin to mess with other ppl like that, even when both people are doing it for fun...

I know it's a strange thing to ask, but sometimes I don't feel right doing it...

I don't think that's a sin...that's just a guys way of showing affection lol

Upvote 0

searchingforGodlyanswers

Jul 7, 2004
somewhere ;)
✟2,601.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you asked your friends that participate in this how they feel about it?
By the way, most girls do not participate in this behaviour; we like candy handed to us(especially chocolate if we're not allergic to it), and other stuff!
There is a place in the Bible that talks about causing your brother to stumble and about not eating meat for the brother who does not eat meat (because it is a sin to him), but if your friends like rough-housing, maybe you could form a club where you do martial arts or football or something if that's what you're into as well.
If it is causing you to feel uncomfortable doing it, then stop until you figure out if it is a sin/stumbling block for you. What about it makes you feel wrong or uncomfortable for you. Some people do not like to participate in certain actions like that, even if it is considered the acceptable typical male response.
My husband used to practice a game which I felt so wrong about, that it was sin and it seemed very satanic to me, so when I resisted, he quit.
If this is the case for you, it is an easy way to find out how your friends react or respond to your borders and how accepting of the real you they are.

Upvote 0

chilibowl

Mar 9, 2005
at home
✟352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
There sure alot of girl perspectives on this. I think one of the first posts hit it on the head when she said this was a males way of showing affection. It would be like saying a hug or a hand shake was a sin if what your doing is in the spirit of friendship.. "Just because something is fun doesn't make it a sin!"

Just remember there is a time for everything and don't let this "Freedom" get you into trouble!

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
chilibowl said:
There sure alot of girl perspectives on this. I think one of the first posts hit it on the head when she said this was a males way of showing affection. It would be like saying a hug or a hand shake was a sin if what your doing is in the spirit of friendship.. "Just because something is fun doesn't make it a sin!"

Just remember there is a time for everything and don't let this "Freedom" get you into trouble!

Simular to how guys like to hit each on the but after a touchdown in a football game....I'll never understand...but then again, I am not of the male kind....

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
searchingforGodlyanswers, does not eating meat in front of someone b/c it's a sin include if I sit with a Hindu and Jew at school? Sometimes I don't feel right doing it, even though the Jewish kid doesn't practice his religion and even though the Hindu kid never says anything to anyone about beef.

Sometimes we'll try to trip each other in the halls, poke each other with the tips of the pencils (one of my friends does that if I do something to him, he pokes me in the back after he sharpens his pencil). Or take chalk from the boards and slam the chalk on each other's backs... Sometimes of course, we'll throw paper wads at each other.
I try only to do it to those who do it back.

Sometimes i'll come home and have to take a nap b/c i'm aching in my shoulders and stuff... vbmenu_register("postmenu_15382830", true);

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesuslovesdabears

Apr 13, 2005
Wisconsin
✟298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I dont think it is, just as long as people dont go overboard and one guy who is having a bad day throws a little more into it.
Fights start very easy that way, I know they did for me and my friends, a simple slap fight became punches with a couple of drinks in us.
See how alcohol ruins everything LOL, now you know why I dont drink.

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anti Existance said:
Everything that isn't love is sin. Its that simple. I don't see how punching someone is love, and i wouldn't care much if someone is disturbed by you eating meat in front of them. You have your own customs and they have to adjust to that.

haha...you missed the first comment on this....punching each other is their way of showing love. Come on...this can't be a sin...all parties are involved and no one is objective to it....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

forgivenmuch

christ is the answer
Aug 21, 2004
✟8,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i have 4 brothers ... and they all done this .. we were not shown love growing up ..but i think they related love to this also.. and really ..it can be painful. i think when you are raised a certain way ..you dont show love in a normal way .. you do things like this.
i was raised around this and i know what it is .. its not healthy. and some may not see anything wrong with it ..but really there is .. you should not be hitting no one. i remember my brothers would wrestle around in the yard ..( play fighting) and they looked so crazy .. i would simply be imbarrassed about it .. the law made them stop one day ..he thought they were really fighting until ..he seen what was going on ..
it dont look good .. bottom line... and if you dont feel right about it ..then you should know not to do it. there is nothing wrong with 2 guys showing love in a handshake/hug there is painless ways of showing love ..other than this.

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We don't punch each other hard though, and the thing is, we don't show affection or friendship other than that. You know how strange it can be to see two guys hugging in school? Not that I stereotype those people, but others do. And while I don't care if people hate me b/c i'm a Christian, I do care if they stereotype me into being a sinner. (As in a sinner who doesn't ask forgiveness, I'm already a sinner but not the type i'm referring to)
I show my brother affection by hugging him, but I don't do it with my friends at school. It wasn't cause we were raised that way, it's just that it's our way of a handshake. Plus we throw stuff when we are bored. Most of my friends are in sports like football, and so they can take pain, I am easily hurt (not bruised) since I don't play sports and have no meat or muscle on my bones (I used to weightlift everyday, but that has been almost 9 months ago.)

Upvote 0

Chavez

May 4, 2005
Ireland
✟16,215.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yep..I know it though
Even though we're girls...we sometimes have done things like this...
not as bad as punching [although one mate used to be EXTREME!!!]lol
like tripping people up and knocking their books off the desk.
it's funny..and we all laugh...but sometimes peeps can take it the wrong way which sucks.
so all in all i wouldn't live by it

Upvote 0

searchingforGodlyanswers

Jul 7, 2004
somewhere ;)
✟2,601.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
88Devin07 said:
searchingforGodlyanswers, does not eating meat in front of someone b/c it's a sin include if I sit with a Hindu and Jew at school? Sometimes I don't feel right doing it, even though the Jewish kid doesn't practice his religion and even though the Hindu kid never says anything to anyone about beef.

Sometimes we'll try to trip each other in the halls, poke each other with the tips of the pencils (one of my friends does that if I do something to him, he pokes me in the back after he sharpens his pencil). Or take chalk from the boards and slam the chalk on each other's backs... Sometimes of course, we'll throw paper wads at each other.
I try only to do it to those who do it back.

Sometimes i'll come home and have to take a nap b/c i'm aching in my shoulders and stuff... vbmenu_register("postmenu_15382830", true);

I was referring to such books as Romans 14-15 and 1 Corinthians 8-11. :)

But on a personal note, I think it is not just about meat, one day being above the other, and women's hair length alone, but also the bigger picture as well.

What does this mean to you about jesting and talking mentioned in Ephesians 5:3-4?

Here's a question for those who want to answer it: When the phrase "Greet one another with a holy kiss..." or greet the brethren with a (holy) kiss
is in the Bible repeatedly, are we sinning when we don't do that? Or was that just something meant for that particular time and now it has changed with the times? :scratch:

I can actually understand about men not wanting to kiss other men in this day and time, but didn't they have people going after strange flesh (Romans 1:26-27 and Jude 1:7) in those days too, because if they did and people could stumble from making false conclusions from seeing that, why would they say to greet the brethren with a holy kiss? How do women apply to this? Are we supposed to kiss our brethren too, which could also lead to false conclusions, such as lasciviousness?
:scratch:

Upvote 0

Astronaut

Jul 1, 2004
✟795.00
Faith
Christian
88Devin07 said:
I was curious...

No it's not a sin!!! It's fun. I think if you guys are having fun doing it, it would be a sin to stop. So lighten up a little bit and enjoy your life, that's what it's for!

Upvote 0