Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know. I'm assuming they found out the details of long term comfort during its development. Without being crass, my current wallet kind of conforms to my butt. A metal wallet just sounds uncomfortable.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the last few years I have been using a an rfid blocking sleeve covered in camo ducktape for my wallet. It is even thinner than the Ridge wallet and much cheaper. I like the smaller size, and I can carry it in the front pocket so that I do not worry so much about theft.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The Ridge is a slim, RFID-blocking wallet designed to streamline how you carry your cash and cards. It comes in 3 materials and 12+ colors and styles.

comparison
Where do you put the coins?

Also.. I've just turned of all RFID stuff on my cards, so I don't need to block anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't the main purpose of the wallet to carry everything so it doesn't bounce around loosely in your pocket?

Not where I come from. I would estimate that the vast majority of American men keep any loose change in their pocket. We use wallets for paper money, credit cards and business cards. I have never had a man's wallet with a change compartment though I have seen separate change pouches or purses from time to time. Keys and change comingle in my pockets.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not where I come from. I would estimate that the vast majority of American men keep any loose change in their pocket. We use wallets for paper money, credit cards and business cards. I have never had a man's wallet with a change compartment though I have seen separate change pouches or purses from time to time. Keys and change comingle in my pockets.
Over here in germany, the wallet holds spare change too. But then again, we have coins with higher value than in the USA. Our paper money starts at 5 euro, yours at 1 dollar.

Also, it's seen as good manners to be able to pay small amounts of change with your own coins. So if you have to pay 8.04 Euro at checkout, it's customary to give the cashier a 10 euro note and 4 cents and get 2 euros back. I guess that would be a bit harder if the change was flitting around in your pocket.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've owned a Ridge wallet for a year or so. I couldn't care less about the RFID paranoia, it's small and handy. Also, I live in an advanced country, not a backwater like Europe or the USA. I haven't needed coins or paper cash for so many years I forget what either look like. I can tap at the 7-11 for a single stick of gum. Which was first card, then phone, now watch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Over here in germany, the wallet holds spare change too. But then again, we have coins with higher value than in the USA. Our paper money starts at 5 euro, yours at 1 dollar.

Also, it's seen as good manners to be able to pay small amounts of change with your own coins. So if you have to pay 8.04 Euro at checkout, it's customary to give the cashier a 10 euro note and 4 cents and get 2 euros back. I guess that would be a bit harder if the change was flitting around in your pocket.

I don't see how change in one's pocket is any harder to pull out than change in a wallet. It is seen as somewhat rude in my area to hold up the line while the customer fishes out change from pocket or purse. That usually only occurs here when it is an elderly woman that is doing the shopping. Mores change with time I guess. Credit cards as are the preferred medium of exchange for most shoppers here. They significantly speed up the process.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't see how change in one's pocket is any harder to pull out than change in a wallet. It is seen as somewhat rude in my area to hold up the line while the customer fishes out change from pocket or purse. That usually only occurs here when it is an elderly woman that is doing the shopping. Mores change with time I guess. Credit cards as are the preferred medium of exchange for most shoppers here. They significantly speed up the process.
I remember reading an article that showed that paying with card takes about 10 seconds longer than paying with cash in average, mostly because sometimes people get their number wrong, pull the card out too early or otherwise make mistakes.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I guess I should have spent my bag of 50 Pfenning coins when I had the chance the last time I was in Germany.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember reading an article that showed that paying with card takes about 10 seconds longer than paying with cash in average, mostly because sometimes people get their number wrong, pull the card out too early or otherwise make mistakes.

That article might be outdated. Even though using a card with a chip is even now becoming outdated technology, I put my card in the device as the cashier is beginning to scan the items. The device tells me when to remove the card , it would take a concerted effort on my part to make a mistake. By the time the cashier has finished scanning the items , the financial transaction is already done. I only have to wait for the receipt to be printed. Cash transactions do not even begin until the entire order has been scanned. The till must then be opened and, if necessary, change given which often only occurs after the elder woman has searched through the multitude of coins in her change purse, after searching through her purse to find the change purse among the multitude of other items she has stored there, to find the correct coins. If I have a small order, I will go to the self checkout and avoid waiting for others to be serviced first. By using a credit card, I not only do not have to deal with loose change at all but I also get the 1 to 5 % kickback from the credit card company. A win/win situation for me.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It is good to see that people have gotten over all that nonsense about being able to buy or sell unless they had the mark or the number.

Now go forth and buy, buy I tell you, and use your cards! And if you shop online, don’t forget your special 3 digit number that identifies your card, to protect you from fraud of course…

• Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That article might be outdated. Even though using a card with a chip is even now becoming outdated technology, I put my card in the device as the cashier is beginning to scan the items. The device tells me when to remove the card , it would take a concerted effort on my part to make a mistake. By the time the cashier has finished scanning the items , the financial transaction is already done. I only have to wait for the receipt to be printed. Cash transactions do not even begin until the entire order has been scanned. The till must then be opened and, if necessary, change given which often only occurs after the elder woman has searched through the multitude of coins in her change purse, after searching through her purse to find the change purse among the multitude of other items she has stored there, to find the correct coins. If I have a small order, I will go to the self checkout and avoid waiting for others to be serviced first. By using a credit card, I not only do not have to deal with loose change at all but I also get the 1 to 5 % kickback from the credit card company. A win/win situation for me.
Over here in germany you have to ask for the device to be activated after all items have been scanned. Then it's activated, you put in your card or scan it over the device and enter your pin or you have to sign a waiver. And credit cards aren't so prevalent over here, it's either electronic cash or hard cash.

I guess it's just a different way of doing things. I can't remember the last time I was behind the stereotypical elderly lady that held everything up. If the line gets held up, it's mostly because someone is complaining about stuff or has card problems. I've been that once, myself, because my card broke once. Just refused to be scanned.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Over here in germany you have to ask for the device to be activated after all items have been scanned. Then it's activated, you put in your card or scan it over the device and enter your pin or you have to sign a waiver. And credit cards aren't so prevalent over here, it's either electronic cash or hard cash.

I guess it's just a different way of doing things. I can't remember the last time I was behind the stereotypical elderly lady that held everything up. If the line gets held up, it's mostly because someone is complaining about stuff or has card problems. I've been that once, myself, because my card broke once. Just refused to be scanned.

I always tell people that one size does not fit all.

• Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0