Is there such a thing as decent contemporary Christian music?

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I've really struggled to find anything consistently solid theologically lately and have actually resorted to rap music, which I don't really care for though the lyrics are fantastic. I prefer stuff along the more pop/alternative genre for music though. Any suggestions? Thx. Hubby is more about music and I'm more about lyrics and we're trying to find that seemingly impossible balance between the two.

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I've really struggled to find anything consistently solid theologically lately and have actually resorted to rap music, which I don't really care for though the lyrics are fantastic. I prefer stuff along the more pop/alternative genre for music though. Any suggestions? Thx. Hubby is more about music and I'm more about lyrics and we're trying to find that seemingly impossible balance between the two.

Which rap artist are you listening to?

For the genre of music you like I highly recommend the David Crowder Band - who is very sound theologically. Jars of Clay are presbyterian and have really put out some good alternative stuff over the years. I would also recommend Kutless - who are solid theologically as well. My all time favorite in this genre is Rebecca St. James. If you haven't done so - you MUST check out her album "God" - which was released back in the 90s. Here other stuff is good - but that one is her best.

All I can think of off the top of my head. If any others come to mind I'll post em...

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Behe's Boy on those choices. I realize I'm out of my denominational area, so I'm treading lightly.....
oops.gif
but I wanted to say that the best way to find good music these days is by searching around on the internet. Christian book stores and Christian radio stations for the most part seem to play really washed out stuff. I have a wide range of musical taste, so this list is going to be pretty eclectic, though in one way or another all could be considered "alternative". Like you, I am more selective with lyrics.

• Godfrey Birtill
  • Day of Fire
  • Kevin Prosch (especially later work such as Palanquin)
  • Michael Gungor (especially Beautiful Things)
  • and actually I'm finding myself listening to Sinead O'Connor's Theology. Really beautiful stuff, though I am not sure whether or not she would say she is a Christian.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
i fought through this for a long time. You certainly have my sympathy.

i reached the conclusion that finding good 'contemporary Christian' music was a lost cause. Some groups are good musically, some have good lyrical content.

None of them would i want to perform in a worship service.

i'm an old folkie. i can remember Peter, Paul & Mary (RIP) coming out with their cover of Dylan's Blowin in the Wind on free form AM radio back in 1962...got a great YouTube video of them performing the song on the BBC back in 65, well worth listening to and watching.

As i got older, i got into more variety in music, but eventually ended up back in folk music. Always wondered why the Christian Community couldn't come up with music that moved people in the same manner.

Then it occurred to me: "Idiot. They're not operating on the same paradigm."

Music in the secular area tries to play on the emotions in order to get you to accept a message.

Christian music is supposed to present a message and rely on God to move hearts, same as preaching. Emotion is supposed to be an outflow of response to truth, not a means of getting you to accept a message that may or may not be correct.

So i've given up. It just isn't going to happen.

i recently told this tale to a woman who was once HUGE in the contemporary Christian music field. She was and remains one of the best writers i've ever seen. i won't mention her name here, so as to protect her privacy, but people my age (mid 50's) would know the name almost immediately.

i managed to make contact with her...Pray for this un-named person, she really needs encouragement. We reached the conclusion that she should just make good music, and don't worry about what it's called.

Soooo, she's beginning a comeback, and is staying out of the cesspool that is contemporary Christian music.

Upvote 0

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Which rap artist are you listening to?

Mostly Shai Linne right now.

For the genre of music you like I highly recommend the David Crowder Band - who is very sound theologically. Jars of Clay are presbyterian and have really put out some good alternative stuff over the years. I would also recommend Kutless - who are solid theologically as well. My all time favorite in this genre is Rebecca St. James. If you haven't done so - you MUST check out her album "God" - which was released back in the 90s. Here other stuff is good - but that one is her best.

All I can think of off the top of my head. If any others come to mind I'll post em...
Thanks for that. I am familiar with all of those bands, and some of their stuff is good. I've always liked Jars of Clay, but I think they might be a little too mellow for my husband.

i fought through this for a long time. You certainly have my sympathy.

i reached the conclusion that finding good 'contemporary Christian' music was a lost cause. Some groups are good musically, some have good lyrical content.

That's generally what I've found as well

None of them would i want to perform in a worship service.

No, that's definitely a different thing. Though sadly the churches here tend to use what they hear on the radio for most of the worship music. Very frustrating at times.

So i've given up. It just isn't going to happen.

Bummer. :(

i recently told this tale to a woman who was once HUGE in the contemporary Christian music field. She was and remains one of the best writers i've ever seen. i won't mention her name here, so as to protect her privacy, but people my age (mid 50's) would know the name almost immediately.

i managed to make contact with her...Pray for this un-named person, she really needs encouragement. We reached the conclusion that she should just make good music, and don't worry about what it's called.

Soooo, she's beginning a comeback, and is staying out of the cesspool that is contemporary Christian music.
:prayer:

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Thanks for that. I am familiar with all of those bands, and some of their stuff is good. I've always liked Jars of Clay, but I think they might be a little too mellow for my husband.

If your husband likes metal have him check out "Becoming The Archetype." They are solidly reformed - and make no bones or apologies about it either - even gave a lecture on Reformed theology at the Cornerstone festival last summer. They are quite an intense band - but lyrically they are spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F00f7NgzS80

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Try Caedmon's Call. I got into an interesting discussion on a different board about whether the band was Calvinist or not. Someone said she went to the same church they did and assured us they were not Calvinists. I said "Then how do you explain lyrics like this..."

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You know I ran across an old box of letters
While I was bagging up some clothes for Goodwill
But you Know I had to laugh at the same old struggles
That plagued me then are plaguing me still
I know the road is long from the ground to glory
But a boy can hope he's getting some place
But you see, I'm running from the very clothes I'm wearing
And dressed like this I'm fit for the chase
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'Cause no, there is none righteous
Not one who understands
There is none who seek God
No not one, I said no not one
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So I am thankful that I'm incapable
Of doing any good on my own
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'Cause we're all stillborn and dead in our transgressions
We're shackled up to the sin we hold so dear
So what part can I play in the work of redemption
I can't refuse, I cannot add a thing
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'Cause I am just like Lazarus and I can hear your voice
I stand and rub my eyes and walk to You
Because I have no choice
[/FONT]

This is the song 'Thankful' from the album 40 Acres.

I've read interviews with the band, and they are indeed Reformed. Especially Derek Webb.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

My wife likes more mellow music, I like edgier music -- but we seem to meet in the middle with groups/artists like Third Day, Jars of Clay, Casting Crowns, MercyMe, et al. My list would include Starfield, Sanctus Real, Day of Fire, The Robbie Seay Band, Fireflight, Kutless, et al. Disciple speaks about CCM in the following short interview:

YouTube - Disciple - "Horseshoes & Handgrenades" Album Interview

Artists like Switchfoot, Lifehouse and a few others seem to have found a following in both the secular and CCM world.

Music samples from YouTube:

YouTube - WOW Christian Top Ten 2010 Songs

YouTube - TOP 15 CHRISTIAN ARTISTS/BANDS OF 2010!

YouTube - Top 25 Best Christian Songs

Upvote 0
J

John_Galt

I can't find any. If the music is good, the theology is awful. If the theology is good, the music is awful.

Ironically, the Christian rap music that's coming out right now is amazing, theologically speaking. Some of these guys preach better than some preachers in the pulpit (and that's coming from someone who hates rap music).

Upvote 0

Osage Bluestem

Galatians 5:1
Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The big benefit to the old hymns is the theological impact behind them. They really drive home a message. However the tunes to them are generally awful.

We have a music director that takes those old hymns and puts them to good music. It is refreshing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
Hubby is more about music and I'm more about lyrics and we're trying to find that seemingly impossible balance between the two.

There is a New Zealand Maori artist by the name of Steve Apirana who has three albums which can be found on ITunes....which came as a pleasant surprise to me.

1st album is entitled Steve Apirana...The opening track Something Beautiful is something beautiful, as are the rest of his interpretations of the Psalm's.

2nd album is entitled No Turning Back...The opening track That Same Old Road is a very nice blues expression of his experience of being in the world, yet not of the world.

3rd album is currently unknown to me.

The brother has a nice sense of musicality....I do believe you will enjoy.

:)

Upvote 0

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I can't find any. If the music is good, the theology is awful. If the theology is good, the music is awful.

Ironically, the Christian rap music that's coming out right now is amazing, theologically speaking. Some of these guys preach better than some preachers in the pulpit (and that's coming from someone who hates rap music).

That is exactly my experience thus far. As much as I really do not care for rap, I can't get enough of some of these guys (see my siggy, lol). It's poetry to a beat. And it's solid doctrine. I'm loving memorizing some of Shai Linne's stuff right now. It's really hard to listen to CCM at all after hearing such fantastic lyrics from some of the current rap artists.

However, I really appreciate all the suggestions that have been made here, and I plan to spend some time going through as many as possible to see what I can find. Some artists do have some good stuff, but it's a lot of wading through the crap to get to it sometimes.

The big benefit to the old hymns is the theological impact behind them. They really drive home a message. However the tunes to them are generally awful.

We have a music director that takes those old hymns and puts them to good music. It is refreshing.

That is really cool. There are so many wonderful rich old hymns that could just use a bit of dusting off and sprucing up to bring them back into the church. I did see a very bad example of that on Reformation Sunday, unfortunately. They took "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" and started with the traditional singing. Then they tried a newer more contemporary feel and it totally lost the worshipful quality. It was nasty and quite unfortunate. But I suspect there are better ways to attempt such an upgrade.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

I keep hearing that when many of the classic hymns came out, some of them were written in the style that was considered contemporary in that era (I guess one could say it was the "rock-and-roll" of its time) and that there were many ultra-strict people back in those days who raised a stink about it because of that. I'm not sure how true it really is, but this line (or variations of it) seems to pop out a lot in many discussions of this nature. However, I have no reason to doubt it, seeing as how the music styles have evolved over the years, and sometimes have been known to overlap, leaving room for a lot of creative (and sometimes fun) new sounds in the realm of music. I have even found (through some casual experimentation on my own) that there are some styles that one wouldn't think would be compatible with one another that actually make for a pretty nice sound, perhaps like bluegrass with a touch of Latin influences. Hey, Desi Arnaz made it work when he performed with Tennessee Ernie Ford (on an episode of "I Love Lucy"!)

Anyway, I don't want to drift too far off topic. I just find it interesting, that's all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

file13

A wild boar has entered in the vineyard
Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear ya. I really don't like most music CCM. There are a few exceptions though. Neal Morse (progressive rock/metal) is absolutely brilliant.

Neal Morse is great! Being a Dream Theater fan, I first saw Neal when he was still with Spock's Beard and they opened for DT on the Metropolis 2000 tour. I was also able to catch his acoustic solo tour after Testimony came out.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I've listened to a ton of CCM, most of it, doesn't do much for me. Like secular mainstream music, with most bands and artists, there are a couple of good songs on an album and the rest is filler. But over the years I've been introduced to a few artists that have appealed to me musically and lyrically. My music tastes are broad, so lyrics have always been slightly more important to me in looking for music from a Christian perspective.

One of the first bands I was introduced to, some time before I came to be Reformed, was PETRA. They started doing Christian music in the 70's, and the founder of the band (Bob Hartman) stuck with the band up until a few years ago (he basically retired). The styles of their music changed over the years, though they would be considered a rock band, though they did many ballads, and some of the rock is "softer" while some songs are "harder". My favorite time period for the band would probably be between 1981-1983, they released 3 albums, 3 very good albums one after another. Theologically, the lyrics are not always perfect, and though they may not come from a Reformed perspective I consider them mostly solid from a biblical perspective. PETRA was not a band to veil their commitment to Christ, they were bold and open with their faith even in the lyrics. This song below was written as kind of a rebuke to worldly Christians...and as old as it is, still rocks:

PETRA - Chameleon

Here is another hard rocking rebuke song...

PETRA - Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows

And a ballad off my favorite album by them..

PETRA - Not of this World

Next, a CCM artist, I will always appreciate, even though he never really had a chance to write many songs as a Reformed believer (most of his CCM songs were written with a non-Reformed understanding of Scripture), his journey in the faith was leading him to the Reformed faith, as evidenced by the following song...

Keith Green - Grace By Which I Stand

"Lord, the feelings are not the same,
I guess I'm older, I guess I've changed.
And how I wish it had been explained,
that as you're growing you must remember,
That nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.
I know that I would surely fall away, except for grace, by which I'm saved.

Lord, I remember that special way,
I vowed to serve you, when it was brand new.
But like Peter, I can't even watch and pray, one hour with you,
And I bet, I could deny you too.
But nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.
I'm sure that my whole life would waste away,
except for grace, by which I'm saved.
But nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.
I know that I would surely fall away, except for grace, by which I'm saved."

Most of Keith and Melody Green's work is not from a Reformed perspective, but there is an genuineness to it, you rarely hear these days, even in CCM. What I mean is, to Keith, it was much more than about the music, it was his ministry, the vehicle he shared the gospel (as he understood) to people. One of the things I greatly admire about the Green's was their generosity in helping real people with real needs. Anyway, here is a beautiful worship song...

Keith Green - There is a Redeemer

Another CCM artist, dear to me, is the late Rich Mullins. How would I describe his music...hmm...kind of a pop folk sound...done with much humility...and often lyrics that will make you think. He is the original artist of the popular "Awesome God" song found in many Churches these days. I couldn't find the song on Youtube, but here are the words to a favorite of mine from his first album...

"Both Feet on the Ground

Rich Mullins and Niles Borop
First John 4:16

They pass two by two star-dazed
They gaze at the lights on the avenue
Just like when love is new
It's Saturday night and I know that they think I'm alone
Oh but I'm alright
I got You by my side

[Chorus]
And I'm not head over heels, and I'm not on cloud nine
And I don't think love is blind
'Cause I know that You see me and yet
You still choose to be mine
With a love that will stand even when I fall down
I know You'll pick me up somehow
And You say that to love is to love
With both feet on the ground

Passing by they glide on the music
As free as two birds in flight
At least they are tonight
But I'm just out of reach of the lights
And the music the silence out
On the beach
I know that's where we'll meet

[repeat Chorus x2]"

"Yet you still choose to be mine...with a love that will stand...even when I fall down..." Rich had a good understanding of the grace and mercy of God.

One of mine, and my mom's favorite by Rich is...

Rich Mullins - Creed

Basically, the Apostle's Creed with a little personalization in song format.

I greatly admire Rich Mullins, for not only what he brought to CCM, but how he lived his life. He loved God and it was evident by the way he lived his life.

I have some others to share, but I need to take a break, this post has taken some time to put together. :)

Reactions: Faith.Man
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As i got older, i got into more variety in music, but eventually ended up back in folk music. Always wondered why the Christian Community couldn't come up with music that moved people in the same manner.

Have you tried listening to any of Rich Mullins albums?

Then it occurred to me: "Idiot. They're not operating on the same paradigm."

Music in the secular area tries to play on the emotions in order to get you to accept a message.

You have a good point, though I think secular songs about relationships between and man and a woman do have a place, though not so much in Church.

Christian music is supposed to present a message and rely on God to move hearts, same as preaching. Emotion is supposed to be an outflow of response to truth, not a means of getting you to accept a message that may or may not be correct.

In my mind, it's perspective and balance, to not be led or controlled by emotions, and keeping in mind, these are just songs afterall, everything should be measured by the word of God. Sometimes I listen to a song, not for a source of truth, but just to kind of let go and have some fun.

Let me guess....Amy Grant?

I couldn't imagine all of the temptations and struggles that come with the limelight, I wouldn't want them personally. On this, I am reminded of where Jesus say's "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?"

And the secular music scene is not a "cesspool"? I would like to see a generation, like Reach Records, clean and Reform the cesspool, rather than looking at it, saying "this stinks" and turn therefore to the secular cesspool as though the grass were greener on the other side...

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've never really been what you might call a "metalhead" or "headbanger" but I did like quite a few Metallica songs growing up as a teenager. But after God changed me, even though I liked the sound, I stopped listening to them because of of all the depressing words and such. Fast forward many years later, I wanted to find a Christian alternative to Metallica, a group that sounded like them, but with Christian lyrics. I knew of no mainstream CCM band that sounded even remotely like them. Through another Christian messageboard, hooked me up with a Christian garage band that produced an album, sounding so close to Metallica in sound, even Metallica fans have mistaken their songs for Metallica song. The name of the band is "Eternal Decision" and the name of the album is "Eternal Decision". This was one of my favorite albums for a long time, it still is, just others I like more now. Here are a couple of songs from the album...

Eternal Decision - Overflow

"Overflow

The day of atonement has come and gone
Christ sacrifice sufficient for all
The only son of my God above is my scapegoat
His love for us it overflows

Overflow, God fills me
Overflow, God fills me

When I was in a pit, God lift me up
When I'm least deserving, He shows his love
Jesus took my place on the cross
He came looking for me when I was lost

Overflow, God fills me
Overflow, God fills me"

The lyrics are a bit simple, but the music is complex. The lyrics in their songs do not come from a Reformed perspective, but they are Christian in the broader sense.

Eternal Decision - Rise

The words "You, you too can rise
Renew, renew your mind through Christ" could be controversial, but can be taken in more than one way. If the intended audience is the "backslidden" or worldly Christian, I would call it solid.

To this day, I think their self-titled debt album deserves a place in Christian book/gift stores, that it never made it big is a shame considering alot of what is found in Christian book/gift stores.

It's been awhile, but years ago, I think I was told that the band "Plankeye" is/was a Reformed group. Their music would probably be best described as "alternative". To be honest, I couldn't get into most of their music, but I really did enjoy one album entitled "Spill". A song I really like on the album is called "Free Me". The words...

"Without you, I am nothing.
Oh Lord I am nothing.
And I will serve until your coming."

...touch me every time. Overall though, I couldn't find too many Plankeye songs that were distinctly Reformed, I mean where are theological bias is clearly evident, which is kind of sad I think.

However, not long ago, I cannot remember if it was through this forum or the Puritanboard, I learned about "Reformed rap". Years ago I used to listen to "Grits" and got into some of their stuff, but I have to say Christian hip hop has come a long way and leading the way are Reformed rappers such as Lecrae, Trip Lee, and Tedashii. Praise God for these guys, what they are doing is incredible. Bringing the gospel to folks who might not otherwise give it a hearing, and they're not watering it down, they're boldly proclaiming the gospel of Christ. The sound production is so good, you almost have to not have a pulse to not bounce with it. Here's a few links to some favorites of mine...

Lecrae - Crossover

Lecrae - Fanatic

Tedashii - Born Again

Tedashii - Unconditional

Trip Lee - Superstar

Trip Lee - Inexhaustible

God is still sovereign, even over CCM, and these Reformed rappers (even if you don't like the genre, which I do) should at least give us some hope of reform in CCM.

Upvote 0