Is there room for comedy in Christianity?

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there any humor in the Bible?

I dont mean documentation of laughter or other people finding things funny. I mean stuff meant to make the reader laugh.

I guess a *true* bible fundamentalist would have to disagree that there is ever any need for humor in life. Since Christ did not advocate humor or ever laugh in the scriptures. Likewise, the scriptures are never funny.

• Informative
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟265,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our laughter should certainly not be frivolous, nor should we forget there are serious issues. Still we who are believers should have joy, with things we find joy in, if they are consistent with living with godliness. So laughter is not excluded from that.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Our laughter should certainly not be frivolous, nor should we forget there are serious issues. Still we who are believers should have joy, with things we find joy in, if they are consistent with living with godliness. So laughter is not excluded from that.
What's frivolous laughter?

I would think that watching a funny useless TV show is frivolous.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟265,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
durangodawood said:
What's frivolous laughter?

I would think that watching a funny useless TV show is frivolous.

Right, watching a useless TV show is frivolous, it means not having serious value. God warns in the Bible against idle humor and laughter when there are serious issues. We should praise Yahweh our God and enjoy the great works shown for us, from God. There can be joy, and it can be with laughter. Laughter should still not be frivolous. Laughter with knowing others are hurting is not right. Where issues are serious we should not ignore those, where we have responsibilities we should be responsible. We can enjoy things while we do not forget the serious things we should address. Addressing those things is the way for us to enjoy what God gives us for our life.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is there any humor in the Bible?

I dont mean documentation of laughter or other people finding things funny. I mean stuff meant to make the reader laugh.
I think the closest the bible got to humour was when Jesus talked about a man complaining about a mote in another man's eye when he had a beam sticking out of his own.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the closest the bible got to humour was when Jesus talked about a man complaining about a mote in another man's eye when he had a beam sticking out of his own.

The Elijah on Mount Carmel story has a humorous quote... "Maybe your God Baal is non the toilet!"

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right, watching a useless TV show is frivolous, it means not having serious value. God warns in the Bible against idle humor and laughter when there are serious issues. We should praise Yahweh our God and enjoy the great works shown for us, from God. There can be joy, and it can be with laughter. Laughter should still not be frivolous. Laughter with knowing others are hurting is not right. Where issues are serious we should not ignore those, where we have responsibilities we should be responsible. We can enjoy things while we do not forget the serious things we should address. Addressing those things is the way for us to enjoy what God gives us for our life.

but it is not sinful to watch a comedy show as a bit of a tension reliever when we having some down time to relax. We need a bit of me time . We are not to endlessly be at work even for God's kingdom. We honour God by pacing ourselves and allowing our minds to relax a s chill

poor mental health is an epidemic even amongst us Christians. What looks like frivolity can be good self care

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I
Yes, I think as long as l the humour is my dishonour God, it is fine

Veggietales is a very silly TV show but as wholesome as they come

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess a *true* bible fundamentalist would have to disagree that there is ever any need for humor in life. Since Christ did not advocate humor or ever laugh in the scriptures. Likewise, the scriptures are never funny.

Am not that kind of believer

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟265,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
WrappedUpinHisLove3 said:
but it is not sinful to watch a comedy show as a bit of a tension reliever when we having some down time to relax. We need a bit of me time . We are not to endlessly be at work even for God's kingdom. We honour God by pacing ourselves and allowing our minds to relax a s chill

poor mental health is an epidemic even amongst us Christians. What looks like frivolity can be good self care

Of course it is not wrong to watch anything humorous, under the circumstances that it is not dishonoring God, is not humor about hurt or harm any others suffer, or are portrayed as suffering, is not cheapening or demeaning any, and is not enjoyed while it takes one watching away from responsible action for others needing that from us. The Bible does say something about that and laughter at inappropriate times. We can enjoy things while watching out that what we watch for that is appropriate.

I think as long as l the humour is my dishonour God, it is fine

Veggietales is a very silly TV show but as wholesome as they come

You know, you can edit a post after you submit it. As I said above, there are parameters we would be responsible for, including to not dishonor God. I would not say silly humor would be wrong, I don't know of anything wrong with VeggieTales, myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟265,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ophiolite said:
Life is too important to take seriously.
Oscar Wilde

Interesting quote. Life is important, ours and that of others. We should not be so serious that we make our life useless. But we should not be dismissive of the value of others, and their lives. This would be why humor would not be appropiate when value of lives are dismissed with that humor.

Upvote 0