Is there room for comedy in Christianity?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul was pretty snarky at times wishing the circumcisers would slip and take it all off.
For humor that cuts below the belt ...

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's right, it's night time.....now say your prayers

iu

Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Paul was pretty snarky at times wishing the circumcisers would slip and take it all off.
Even the covenant of circumcision is kinda funny to me (although serious also). A part that we men are often secretly proud of, but had to snip the tip off the end as part of the covenant - humorous example of pride becomming humility (at least for a short while, until the pain ends).

Also, how its often referred to in the bible - for example, Gen 34:25, after the circumcision of the men of Shechem - "when they were sore" - like, understatement of the century! Also in Joshua 5, what the Israelites named the place where they did the mass circumcision of all the Israelite men "hill of foreskins". Kinda gross, but funny also - was there really so many circumcisions that the pile of foreskins made a small hill? With a name like that, not somewhere you'd later take your girlfriend on a first date!

• Haha
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gen 34:25, after the circumcision of the men of Shechem - "when they were sore" - like, understatement of the century!
The encounter between Abraham and the 3 angels on their way to Sodom (Gen 18) occurred right after father Abe was circ'd.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also in Joshua 5, what the Israelites named the place where they did the mass circumcision of all the Israelite men "hill of foreskins". Kinda gross, but funny also - was there really so many circumcisions that the pile of foreskins made a small hill? With a name like that, not somewhere you'd later take your girlfriend on a first date!
I dunno - it may be something that turns her on ...... The ancient Jews had HUGE respect for female sexuality.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh dear, I get ads on this forum like a slim girl wiring plastic foil around her belly to get even slimmer... if She would have had some fat it might have been a fun ad but that girl was simply not in need of getting slimmer. I wonder where I have surfed...

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dunno - it may be something that turns her on ...... The ancient Jews had HUGE respect for female sexuality.

Evidently some men do just about anything for some women. Still I think if God created Adam and said He was fine that way, why did He later change His mind and want circumcision, and then again when christianity spread not bother. I did hear a funny story about the part that is thrown away during circumcision. A guy from Wales said it was called a schmuck and everytime the ladies in Germany bragged about their jewellery ( their schmuck ) He could barely keep Himself from laughing out load. I still wonder who perhaps mislead that poor fellow.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. A guy from Wales said it was called a schmuck and everytime the ladies in Germany bragged about their jewellery ( their schmuck ) He could barely keep Himself from laughing out load. I still wonder who perhaps mislead that poor fellow.
"Schmuck" is a Yiddish word that figuratively means an idiot. It literally means "penis." Not the foreskin - but what was left.

The German word for jewelry is spelled differently: schmock.

I do catch the humor in the close spellings and pronunciations.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Schmuck" is a Yiddish word that figuratively means an idiot. It literally means "penis." Not the foreskin - but what was left.

The German word for jewelry is spelled differently: schmock.

I do catch the humor in the close spellings and pronunciations.

Oh no there is over half a million Schmuck on de.davanda.com that You can buy. It is jewellery. Try google it. You find no schmock that is jewellery. In swedish the word is smycke in german Schmuck. In swedish You can get a smocka that means that someone could hit You in the face. Not intended as a threat but it is the closest I have heard to schmock. But I have never heard of the word Schmock in german.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh no there is over half a million Schmuck on de.davanda.com that You can buy. It is jewellery. Try google it. You find no schmock that is jewellery. In swedish the word is smycke in german Schmuck. In swedish You can get a smocka that means that someone could hit You in the face. Not intended as a threat but it is the closest I have heard to schmock. But I have never heard of the word Schmock in german.
OK I will take your word for it. Even though my family is German I do not speak it. The site I looked up may have listed a regional variant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have lived and travelled in Germany a few years but my family is not German and I do not live there now. Well, I always found it hilarious when women started to talk about their jewellery when He was around. I gently tried to guide them away from Him but it was not so easy.

Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Evidently some men do just about anything for some women. Still I think if God created Adam and said He was fine that way, why did He later change His mind and want circumcision, and then again when christianity spread not bother. I did hear a funny story about the part that is thrown away during circumcision. A guy from Wales said it was called a schmuck and everytime the ladies in Germany bragged about their jewellery ( their schmuck ) He could barely keep Himself from laughing out load. I still wonder who perhaps mislead that poor fellow.
I remember seeing this scene in a movie, where a lady explained to a guy at a party that a schmuck is the useless skin from a circumcision. So even if incorrect, certainly a common misunderstanding popularised by Hollywood - possibly popular enough to actually become a slang meaning.

This reminded me of another funny bible story, where the poor princess Michelle was sold by King Saul for 100 schmucks. Don't ask me what he wanted them for. David went out and paid 200 for her, but still - doesn't say a lot for the value Saul placed on her. So whoever thinks foreskins are completely useless - collect enough, find the right seller, and you may even be able to afford a princess! (Disclaimer to those desperate enough to try: be sure to wear gloves and ensure your vaccination status is up to date!).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Lol. Whether avoided by people because of the... peculiar name, or visited frequently by young people on dates 'cause popular with the ladies, still kind of a funny name for a place. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Even the covenant of circumcision is kinda funny to me (although serious also). A part that we men are often secretly proud of, but had to snip the tip off the end as part of the covenant - humorous example of pride becomming humility (at least for a short while, until the pain ends).

Also, how its often referred to in the bible - for example, Gen 34:25, after the circumcision of the men of Shechem - "when they were sore" - like, understatement of the century! Also in Joshua 5, what the Israelites named the place where they did the mass circumcision of all the Israelite men "hill of foreskins". Kinda gross, but funny also - was there really so many circumcisions that the pile of foreskins made a small hill? With a name like that, not somewhere you'd later take your girlfriend on a first date!
Funny. ^_^

Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I did hear a funny story about the part that is thrown away during circumcision. A guy from Wales said it was called a schmuck and everytime the ladies in Germany bragged about their jewellery ( their schmuck ) He could barely keep Himself from laughing out load. I still wonder who perhaps mislead that poor fellow.
The movie is The Life of David Gale, and it likely misled more than a few on that definition.

"Berlin: Did I tell you that when you were circumcised they threw away the wrong part?
David Gale: Yes, I believe you mentioned it. It's called schmuck.
Berlin: What?
David Gale: Part of the foreskin they throw away after circumcision, I believe it is called schmuck."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh dear people, I see where the walesian guy got it from. Oh, and Speaking of human hair, did You know that when You brush Your long hair It sticks on the brush and then You can scrape it off and roll it to a ball. Then You can collect those balls and after a year or so You can sow or knit them together and make something to put a kettle on. If Your friends help out You get different colours hairballs and it get faster. I know of a collector, some laugh at her but we will see what She creates.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh dear people, I see where the walesian guy got it from. Oh, and Speaking of human hair, did You know that when You brush Your long hair It sticks on the brush and then You can scrape it off and roll it to a ball. Then You can collect those balls and after a year or so You can sow or knit them together and make something to put a kettle on. If Your friends help out You get different colours hairballs and it get faster. I know of a collector, some laugh at her but we will see what She creates.
So Solomon wrote some poetry to impress his girl - in the bible also. Here's what he had to say about her hair:

Song of Solomon 4:1 "Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes within thy locks: they hair is as a flock of goats, that appear from mount Gilead."

Reading today, I'd think that girl had some messy hair! More bible humor, even if unintentional.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I once learned that if a church has to perform outside in the city, one of the funniest ways to keep the microphones safe from beeing stolen is to put an old clean toilet seat on stage and hide them in that, then put a brown long wig on the top of the seat and paint a smiley under and write on the top seat. Jesus saves. People wont even think there are microphones there, they smile at the message. Everything valuable ought to be in paperboxes or bags, not in toilets. Toilets protect against rain too. And noone takes a poo on stage.

• Haha
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0