Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hello guys,
Pls advise.
I'm avoiding someone I used to be cool with because he's knowingly or unknowingly getting on my nerves.. He's actions come across as teasing.. And I just want to pretend I'm not offended by not talking to him.
Now the problem is the devil is trying to make me feel guilty, condemned and unable to pray.. He keeps lieing to me that I'm not worthy to pray or or anything from God bcos of that dude I'm ignoring ...I need peace of mind to seek my God in prayer
How do. I shut him up..

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟28,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Approach him nicely and tell him that he is annoying you? Maybe he does not realise that he is bothering you so much, if he is doing it on purpose then just avoid him?

Either way, I hope that it goes okay between you two :)

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What if God placed him in your life in order to teach you patience, long suffering, meekness, humility...? See how many good things suffering wrong brings along?

Galatians 6:1-3
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.​

If I were you I would say to my thoughts, "Listen Pal (self), for all the sins you have committed so far, you certainly deserve worst treatment than the teasing of your friend, so shut up and bear it up."

Your friend is not your enemy. The enemy is primarily our ego.

Upvote 0

vlisco

May 17, 2017
london
✟22,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
He's not
What if God placed him in your life in order to teach you patience, long suffering, meekness, humility...? See how many good things suffering wrong brings along?

Galatians 6:1-3
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.​

If I were you I would say to my thoughts, "Listen Pal (self), for all the sins you have committed so far, you certainly deserve worst treatment than the teasing of your friend, so shut up and bear it up."

Your friend is not your enemy. The enemy is primarily our ego.
He's not Talking to me either.. And does things to show he doesn't care

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By not responding to him or acting back..

Christ tells us to "First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift."

You are having a hard time praying because of an issue between you and someone else... perhaps this is the Spirit prompting you not the enemy. May I suggest reconciling with him and then return to prayer.

Don't say "I forgive you" because that's condescending. The fact you are annoyed with him is your problem not his, so don't tell him he's annoying or any fault you may be projecting on him, that part will be clear enough if it is done with intention. Instead, say, "will you forgive me because I have wronged you". his fault in the matter is his problem and for him to deal with, don't try and fix him just work on fixing yourself.

Reactions: icxn
Upvote 0

vlisco

May 17, 2017
london
✟22,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I've
Christ tells us to "First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift."

You are having a hard time praying because of an issue between you and someone else... perhaps this is the Spirit prompting you not the enemy. May I suggest reconciling with him and then return to prayer.

Don't say "I forgive you" because that's condescending. The fact you are annoyed with him is your problem not his, so don't tell him he's annoying or any fault you may be projecting on him, that part will be clear enough if it is done with intention. Instead, say, "will you forgive me because I have wronged you". his fault in the matter is his problem and for him to deal with, don't try and fix him just work on fixing yourself.
I've decided to forgive him.. But keep my distance.. This is just to avoid getting myself into any thing if that sort again... I see it happening again if I allow it..
Is that okay

• Agree
Reactions: icxn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is that okay
It's not for me to say. The HS is already calling you into something greater, you've recognized it, you've explored it's meaning, not you just need to take those steps. Forgiveness of course is never the wrong move.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

When someone is being deliberately annoying or just plain insensitive why are they NOT at fault but rather blame those they annoy?

It's a strange logic not supported by biblical teachings. Even Jesus got angry at people at times. Jesus even avoided people who are likely to ridicule or make folly of His teachings.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ephesians 4:15

15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

This usually works for me. Tell him one to one whats going on with a spirit of honesty and a mature person will act in kind. As you can see being passive aggressive isn't working. If that doesn't work then I walk away feeling I handled my end responsibly.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any voice or feeling you have that is telling you that you are not good enough is not of God. If you are feeling guilty about how you are treating (or ignoring) someone, now that could be from God.

I don't usually quote scripture, but these two are like your problem; very familiar to me.

Romans 8:1
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

Psalm 139:14
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. "

The evil one has no power over you. Listen to the Holy Spirit and ignore any ideas you have that God won't hear you. Accept that the truth is, outside of Jesus Christ, you aren't worthy. That's the grain of truth in the Devil's lie. But if you are saved and you are repentant of your sin, then there is no separation between you and Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: Ken C.
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello guys,
Pls advise.
I'm avoiding someone I used to be cool with because he's knowingly or unknowingly getting on my nerves.. He's actions come across as teasing.. And I just want to pretend I'm not offended by not talking to him.
Now the problem is the devil is trying to make me feel guilty, condemned and unable to pray.. He keeps lieing to me that I'm not worthy to pray or or anything from God bcos of that dude I'm ignoring ...I need peace of mind to seek my God in prayer
How do. I shut him up..

I prefer the confrontational method.

"Hey, could you lay off me a bit? You are starting to come across as insulting".

And then you'll find out if he's really a buddy, or an abuser. Because a friend accepts the response of a friend... and will learn to adapt. An abuser will keep doing it, because that's what makes them happy.

So he will either be a friend, and stop doing what is bothering you.... or he'll be an abuser, and you'll know to move on.

The direct confrontation method is harder for you, but it also deals with the problem decisively. The reason you are being bothered by this right now, is not because the 'devil is trying' something... it's because you have an unresolved problem. Unresolved problems always bother us.

It's like having a mental splinter. When you have a splinter, you have to remove it. Removing it can hurt, and be bothersome to deal with. But if you just put a band aid on it, and take some aspirin, you might dampen the pain, but it never really goes away.

You have to deal with the problem, and the faster you deal with it, the faster you can move on.

If this guy is going to change his ways, better you find out now, rather than later. Equally if he's going to be a prick, better you find that out now, rather than later.

So that's my advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When someone is being deliberately annoying or just plain insensitive why are they NOT at fault but rather blame those they annoy?

It's a strange logic not supported by biblical teachings. Even Jesus got angry at people at times. Jesus even avoided people who are likely to ridicule or make folly of His teachings.
there's no such teaching, only inference. we have our own planks in our eyes to deal with to worry about specs in others

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
there's no such teaching, only inference. we have our own planks in our eyes to deal with to worry about specs in others

Make sure you understand this verse very clearly. It doesn't say we should ignore the spec in a brother's eye.

Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

I could quote a few more verses what a Christian should really be doing.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Make sure you understand this verse very clearly. It doesn't say we should ignore the spec in a brother's eye.

Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

I could quote a few more verses what a Christian should really be doing.
right, let's worry about what's in our eye first

Upvote 0