Is there goodness in culture's definition of men and women even if the Bible remains silent on it?

sccs

Jan 8, 2010
✟23,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How should a Christian parent think about cultural or societal differences between men and women in parenting their children? What I mean is this: suppose my five-year old son wants to wear a dress to school or my teenage daughter wants to go topless at the beach because "boys can do that." What reasons (if any) should I give for why that would not be appropriate?

Now, I'm sure that outside of the U.S. or even historically, there would be nothing wrong with boys/men wearing dresses or women going topless. In fact, I can think of several countries, tribes, or time periods in which that would have been culturally acceptable. Since Scripture is silent on many of these matters, then we shouldn't seek to impose restrictions if not needed.

However, in the context of the 21st century United States, such behaviors would indeed raise eyebrows not only in society at large but even more so in the context of the church. On what basis do I have to stand on to say that men and women should act, behave, or dress in a certain way because that is the acceptable view of the dominant culture while Scripture remains silent? Is there a way to affirm any goodness in the culture that God has ordained that we live in?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How should a Christian parent think about cultural or societal differences between men and women in parenting their children? What I mean is this: suppose my five-year old son wants to wear a dress to school or my teenage daughter wants to go topless at the beach because "boys can do that." What reasons (if any) should I give for why that would not be appropriate?

Now, I'm sure that outside of the U.S. or even historically, there would be nothing wrong with boys/men wearing dresses or women going topless. In fact, I can think of several countries, tribes, or time periods in which that would have been culturally acceptable. Since Scripture is silent on many of these matters, then we shouldn't seek to impose restrictions if not needed.

However, in the context of the 21st century United States, such behaviors would indeed raise eyebrows not only in society at large but even more so in the context of the church. On what basis do I have to stand on to say that men and women should act, behave, or dress in a certain way because that is the acceptable view of the dominant culture while Scripture remains silent? Is there a way to affirm any goodness in the culture that God has ordained that we live in?

Christianity has always taught that people should dress modestly. Both men and women. That teaching is most clearly spelled out in the Didascalia. Chapter II is addressed to men while chapter III is addressed to women. A synopsis of chapter II goes:

Teaching every man that he should please his wife alone; and that he should not adorn himself and become a cause of stumbling to women; and that he should not love idleness; and that he should occupy himself with the Scriptures of life, and avoid profane writings and the bonds of the Second Legislation; and that he should not bathe in a bath with women; and that he should not give himself to the vice of harlots.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I dont believe scripture is silent.
Deuteronomy 22
“A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Romans 14:21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble

Upvote 0

sccs

Jan 8, 2010
✟23,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont believe scripture is silent.
Deuteronomy 22
“A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God.
I'm not entirely convinced by simply using this passage in particular. It does not define what is men's clothing and what is women's clothing. What may be men's clothing in one culture may be women's clothing in another or in another time period. The Bible nowhere defines "Men shall wear T-shirts, collared shirts, and slacks and women must wear dresses but not too short and cover up certain parts of the body."

I'm looking for a defense of culture's definition of men and women (including typical dress) and why that would be Biblical. In other words, why is it good for men to dress that way and women to dress a certain way? How do I convince my unbelieving neighbor or a child that one should dress or act that way if the Bible does not explicitly condone nor forbid certain things?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most of this really is cultural, so as a parent I'd give advice about the culture. If you conform to the culture, then you'll blend in and people mostly won't give you a hard time. If you dress in a way that's different from cultural expectations, then you may get teased or bullied, or people may laugh at you, or you may be penalized more harshly (e.g., you may not get the job if you showed up to your interview in a pumpkin costume). It's useful to know when to be your gloriously individualistic self, and when to quietly conform to cultural expectations, and it's useful to be aware of which forms of dress do the first, and which do the second.

Upvote 0