Is there evidence for answered prayer? A Christian response.

Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A short article at Is there evidence for answered prayer? Does God answer prayer? considers the question: is there evidence for answered prayer?

I'd like to share some excerpts, with some thoughts I had when reading it, in blue. If you want to see the full article, you can click on the link above.

There are plenty of passages in the Bible that clearly state that God answers prayer (James 5:16–18; John 15:7; 1 John 3:22) and countless stories about God answering prayer—sometimes in dramatic fashion.
A very important point to note here is this: these stories which the article is talking about are all from the Bible. In other words, we do not know that they all happened; we only know that the Bible says they happened. Keep that in mind, we'll come back to it in a moment.

In 1 Samuel 1 we see Hannah pray for a child; God granted her request and gave her Samuel. In one of the most stunning accounts in the Bible, Elijah calls upon God to consume, with fire, a water soaked and flooded sacrifice he has built before the priests of a false god. God answers Elijah (1 Kings 18).

Answers to Jesus' prayers are given as well, such as the time He prayed for His friend Lazarus to come back from the dead (John 11:1–44), when He prayed before feeding the 4,000 and the 5,000 (Matthew 14:13–21; 15:29–39), and others.

In Acts 12 Peter was imprisoned and miraculously released; we are told that the other believers were gathered together praying (Acts 12:6–19). It was as Paul and Silas were "praying and singing hymns to God" that an earthquake came and opened the prison doors where they had been jailed. The prisoners remained, the jailer and his family came to salvation in Jesus, and Paul and Silas were released from prison the next day (Acts. 16:16–40).

Of course, there are many other accounts in the Bible of answered prayer.
There are indeed. But again, these are nothing but stories in the Bible. A story can be as impressive and amazing as the writer wants it. But do we see miracles like this happening in real life?

Today we have the accounts of millions of Christians who will testify to God's goodness in answering prayer. It could be argued that some of these are false accounts or even "coincidence." But the sheer volume of anecdotal evidence for answered prayer, from Bible-believing Christians who faithfully walk with God, is not easily dismissed.
Are you sure about that? Because it seems to me that the millions of accounts of answered prayers seem of a rather different sort to the examples you gave us from the Bible. Those stories of answered prayers seemed to be of genuinely miraculous occurrences; the type of prayers that Christians say have been answered (not that I've heard all of them by any means, but I've heard plenty) seem of a different order altogether; generally, it seems that they could have been the result of coincidence.

It should be noted that God does not always answer our prayers the way we would like. His own Word puts qualifications to God's willingness to answer prayer at times. Psalm 66:18 says God won't hear prayers from those who are wicked. First John 5:14–15 says that the prayers we ask according to God's will are granted. James 4:3 says we sometimes don't receive what we pray for because of wrong motives. James 1:6–8 and Hebrews 11:6 indicate that a lack of faith may hinder our prayers.
This seems to be a variation on the popular saying that God always answers prayers, it's just that sometimes he answers "yes", sometimes "no", and sometimes "maybe later". But if we think about it, these three responses cover every single outcome of a prayer. And therefore, they mean nothing, because the responses you get are indistinguishable from pure chance. If I roll a dice and pray to get a 6, then I might get lucky, or I might not, or I might be lucky at a later date. The same with praying to get a job, or recover from sickness, or anything else that I might pray about.
Anything? Actually, no. Because it turns out that if you pray for something actually impossible, God's answer will always be no. That is actually something you can test. Try it for yourself! Pray for Jesus to appear to you in the flesh. He won't. Pray to levitate. You won't. Pray for a die to roll a seven. It won't.

So what we've seen is this: there are plenty of accounts of answered prayers that we can be sure were actually answers from God Himself, proof positive that God exists. But you know what? They all took place in stories. None of them took place in real life. None of them ever do.

Why is this?
Because it's not true that God always answers our prayers and gives us what we want. It's not even true that God always answers our prayers with yes, maybe later, or no.
Quite simply, God never answers prayers at all.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A short article at Is there evidence for answered prayer? Does God answer prayer? considers the question: is there evidence for answered prayer?

I'd like to share some excerpts, with some thoughts I had when reading it, in blue. If you want to see the full article, you can click on the link above.

There are plenty of passages in the Bible that clearly state that God answers prayer (James 5:16–18; John 15:7; 1 John 3:22) and countless stories about God answering prayer—sometimes in dramatic fashion.
A very important point to note here is this: these stories which the article is talking about are all from the Bible. In other words, we do not know that they all happened; we only know that the Bible says they happened. Keep that in mind, we'll come back to it in a moment.

In 1 Samuel 1 we see Hannah pray for a child; God granted her request and gave her Samuel. In one of the most stunning accounts in the Bible, Elijah calls upon God to consume, with fire, a water soaked and flooded sacrifice he has built before the priests of a false god. God answers Elijah (1 Kings 18).

Answers to Jesus' prayers are given as well, such as the time He prayed for His friend Lazarus to come back from the dead (John 11:1–44), when He prayed before feeding the 4,000 and the 5,000 (Matthew 14:13–21; 15:29–39), and others.

In Acts 12 Peter was imprisoned and miraculously released; we are told that the other believers were gathered together praying (Acts 12:6–19). It was as Paul and Silas were "praying and singing hymns to God" that an earthquake came and opened the prison doors where they had been jailed. The prisoners remained, the jailer and his family came to salvation in Jesus, and Paul and Silas were released from prison the next day (Acts. 16:16–40).

Of course, there are many other accounts in the Bible of answered prayer.
There are indeed. But again, these are nothing but stories in the Bible. A story can be as impressive and amazing as the writer wants it. But do we see miracles like this happening in real life?

Today we have the accounts of millions of Christians who will testify to God's goodness in answering prayer. It could be argued that some of these are false accounts or even "coincidence." But the sheer volume of anecdotal evidence for answered prayer, from Bible-believing Christians who faithfully walk with God, is not easily dismissed.
Are you sure about that? Because it seems to me that the millions of accounts of answered prayers seem of a rather different sort to the examples you gave us from the Bible. Those stories of answered prayers seemed to be of genuinely miraculous occurrences; the type of prayers that Christians say have been answered (not that I've heard all of them by any means, but I've heard plenty) seem of a different order altogether; generally, it seems that they could have been the result of coincidence.

It should be noted that God does not always answer our prayers the way we would like. His own Word puts qualifications to God's willingness to answer prayer at times. Psalm 66:18 says God won't hear prayers from those who are wicked. First John 5:14–15 says that the prayers we ask according to God's will are granted. James 4:3 says we sometimes don't receive what we pray for because of wrong motives. James 1:6–8 and Hebrews 11:6 indicate that a lack of faith may hinder our prayers.
This seems to be a variation on the popular saying that God always answers prayers, it's just that sometimes he answers "yes", sometimes "no", and sometimes "maybe later". But if we think about it, these three responses cover every single outcome of a prayer. And therefore, they mean nothing, because the responses you get are indistinguishable from pure chance. If I roll a dice and pray to get a 6, then I might get lucky, or I might not, or I might be lucky at a later date. The same with praying to get a job, or recover from sickness, or anything else that I might pray about.
Anything? Actually, no. Because it turns out that if you pray for something actually impossible, God's answer will always be no. That is actually something you can test. Try it for yourself! Pray for Jesus to appear to you in the flesh. He won't. Pray to levitate. You won't. Pray for a die to roll a seven. It won't.

So what we've seen is this: there are plenty of accounts of answered prayers that we can be sure were actually answers from God Himself, proof positive that God exists. But you know what? They all took place in stories. None of them took place in real life. None of them ever do.

Why is this?
Because it's not true that God always answers our prayers and gives us what we want. It's not even true that God always answers our prayers with yes, maybe later, or no.
Quite simply, God never answers prayers at all.
Are not all accounts of God answering a prayer always considered a story? Afterall, until one personally experiences an answered prayer, it will remain just a story. Unless, they believe it to be true.
Thanks for sharing the wonderful work of God. Be blessed.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Does this summarize your argument? How would you phrase it?

Time and chance can account for everything natural.
It's coincidence [time and chance] that answered prayer appears to happen.
Therefore prayer is not being answered by God.

That's not a bad summary. I think I'd put it like this:

It is claimed that God answers prayers. Proof for this (offered in the article) is the stories of the Bible.
However, these are just stories. In real life, God never answers prayers miraculously, and all the instances of "answered prayers" that are offered for inspection could have been produced by natural causes.

Therefore, if they could have been produced by natural causes, maybe they were. It certainly seems strange that a being like God never answers prayers miraculously, when - according to the stories about Him - He has both the inclination and ability to do so.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What are the hypothesis of praying for intervention?

I'm not a Christian, I don't pray, I don't go to church, so I only have a rudimentary understanding of prayer.
But my perception is that people can pray in multiple ways.
1. A prayer wish, kinda like asking Santa for a gift. People might pray that a pandemic goes away, they might pray that a loved one recovers from an illness, they might pray for sunshine on their wedding day, they might pray to win a contest or to win a job or to find their keys.
2. A prayer to say thanks to god. Perhaps they reflect on what they are grateful for and use prayer to thank god for it.
3. A prayer for inner strength. They might pray for inner strength to get through tough times, or in order to collect themselves when they are about to do something that they are nervous about.

I think this thread is more about item 1.
If a god delivered on prayer, wouldn't we find that people who pray to that particular god have a statistical advantage in things, e.g. if the Christian god was the real one and intervened during prayer, wouldn't we find that Christians are less likely to die of cancer, less likely to die of Covid 19, more likely to win contests, more likely to find lost items.
Surely this bias would show up in general statistics.
It would be a remarkable finding to discover that Christians once diagnosed with cancer have a significantly improved prognosis in comparison to non Christians.

We could also do some experiments.
We could hide items, get various people of different religions to pray for finding those items and get atheists too. And time how long it takes for people to find the items. You would expect that those that pray to the real god would have some measurable advantages.
Thank you very much, Stevil. You're quite right! If Christians are indeed correct about God answering prayers, we should be seeing statistical data on this. As Marshall Brain said in his book, How "God" works. He considers a similar question: is smoking harmful? How do you find out? There may be some people who smoke and yet who live healthy lives for many years. And he says that:

"The key to answering questions like these is to do a statistical study on people who have already been smoking for thirty years. This type of study is typically called a retrospective study, which is defined by Mosby’s Medical Dictionary as:
A study in which a search is made for a relationship between one (usually current) phenomenon or condition and another that occurred in the past.
How might a critical thinker apply these statistical techniques to God? It turns out that it’s easy to test whether or not prayer works using the same statistical methods that scientists used to decide that smoking is harmful. If prayer actually works, there are a number of things we would expect to see happening, on a statistical basis, in the real world. If God really answers prayers in the way that He promises in the Bible, we would expect Christians who pray to experience measurable effects. Yet it turns out that this is not the case at all.
So, as critical thinkers, we look out at the evidence available, searching for the statistical effects of prayer. For example, if prayer works as God describes it in His Bible, what would we expect to happen with the lottery? We would expect faithful, prayerful Christians to consistently win the lottery. In fact, we would expect that, in every lottery, we would see thousands of devout, prayerful Christians splitting the winning pot. They would all pray, and “Nothing would be impossible for them,” and since there are many devout Christians, they would necessarily have to split the pot when they all picked the winning number. In addition, when they prayed repeatedly they would win repeatedly. This is a necessary outcome of what the Bible says about prayer if the Bible is true. Recall that more than half the adult population in the United States believes that the Bible is literally true. If these adults would simply look statistically at lottery results, they would easily see that something is amiss.
Do thousands of devout Christians repeatedly split winning pots in every lottery? It’s easy to run the statistics. We see nothing of the sort in the real world. The people who win the lottery follow the normal statistical patterns we would expect to see. We do not see the same devout Christians winning the lottery repeatedly. We do not see Christians winning more often than nonbelievers based on demographics. Instead of what we expect to see after reading about prayer in the Bible, the statistics that we see in real world lotteries exactly reflect what we would expect if the effects of prayer are imaginary."

Upvote 0