• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is there any way to quit inappropriate contentography?

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I had this problem from years and I am losing the fight, It has taken over so bad to where I watch it almost every day and I watch more than 1 video in under 3 hours. I need help and I will gladly take any advice
[Staff edit].

Let me share my strategies with you as someone who once struggled with the same and hope it can be of help:
-Acknowledge that inappropriate contentography is a sin before your God and ask Him to forgive you with a sincere heart.
-Avoid any stimuli (audio and visual) that will lead you to inappropriate content.The bible tells us to 'Flee sexual immorality' 1 Cor 6;18. The word flee means immediate action. Don't negotiate with sin.
Pay attention to your hobbies and friends. Laziness, idleness and being alone most of the time can fuel the vice. If you are the type that likes being on the computer or phone, start by restricting access time. Replace your free time with STUDYING the Word of God.Fight all things leading to lust.
Titus 2:14 'be zealous for good works'. Find new hobbies, start a project, mow the lawn, etc

-Open your eyes, open your eyes wide open to the Word of God. Meditate on what Christ did and stop taking His sacrifice for granted. This is serious and Hebrews 12:15-17says If we continue deliberately in sin, God hardens our hearts to where we cannot genuinely repent like Esau. That's a fearful thing.This scripture shook my core till i surrendered to God.

-Manage your thoughts. When the desire kicks in thoughtfully, forcefully switch your mind to think of the promises of Christ.The mind is like a muscle, stretch it until it subdues to the word of God. Don't try and then give up. Proverbs tells us 'only fools yield to sin'. You are not a slave to your eyes, mind and hands but ONLY to CHRIST.

-Delight in the Lord and pray , pray , pray with a steadfast spirit.

Shalom.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin always begins in the imagination and thought realm. If you can stop it at the temptation stage it cannot become a sin.

This is what I do to walk in the Spirit.

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.” (2 Corinthians 10:5–6)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.

And we replace it with:

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. So Jesus is lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.

Reactions: Choose Wisely
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,100.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I had this problem from years and I am losing the fight, It has taken over so bad to where I watch it almost every day and I watch more than 1 video in under 3 hours. I need help and I will gladly take any advice

You need to join a support group [Staff edit].
It helped me a lot to overcome my addictions, including inappropriate content.

If you are alone and feel isolated, a support group helps a lot. This is part of necessary Christian fellowship. It is one of the practical aspects of trusting God to help you overcome.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Working the 12 steps might help you.

I don't know if there's a inappropriate content addicts anonymous group, however.

• Agree
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Working the 12 steps might help you.

I don't know if there's a inappropriate content addicts anonymous group, however.

There are 3 main groups that I am aware of, SLAA, SAA and SA. SA I believe was the first and is the closest to Christian ideals. Where AA admits powerlessness over alchohol in their 1st step before seeking help from God, SA admits powerlessness over lust and proceeds from there.

Their literature and the spirit of the group is excellent and very compatible with christianity. Someone in that recovery group can find a lot of support for inappropriate contentography or any kind of sexual addiction and it really deals with the root cause. I've been a member for about 3 years and it has helped me to be and stay clean of inappropriate contentography for over a year now. Took awhile to get traction, I had been an addict for 20 years, but no reason or desire to go back now.

[Staff edit].

Upvote 0

mafugma

Fisherman
Dec 28, 2007
California
✟7,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure, everything feels like there's no way out when you're in the midst of it. I used to have a problem with inappropriate content but it went away when it was no longer the center of my focus. I wish I could give advice from my experience, but my experience is that one day it disappeared. I know one thing for sure, I didn't get rid of the addiction by my own will. The crazy thing is I'm no longer married so there's no one for me to have an outlet with, and yet I rarely think about it anymore. I also don't have any interest in being in a romantic relationship anymore. I'm still attracted to women, but now I acknowledge they're attractive and my mind (usually) doesn't take it any further. If it does, I dismiss it and it's gone.

When I think of my freedom and on the rare occasion ponder it. I'm reminded that the sacrifice of Jesus wasn't just to forgive sin, but take away it's remembrance as well.

I'm sorry that this may not give you immediate relief from your struggle. My hope is that it gives you hope, that in time it will pass. If your still young then it's probably not just a spiritual battle but a battle with your hormones as well that are driving you to find a mate. Paul talked about it clearly, some can be single while others burn with desire. It not as easy a fix nowadays because our marriages are not set up for us and we have to brave the dating pool. Which is treacherous for those trying to be chaste. Especially when society doesn't care about sex as long as it's "safe sex".

You can get through this brother. Hang in there. Fight the good fight. God will get you through it. I believe it for you.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has been moved to the Struggles With Sexuality forum.
Struggles with Sexuality Statement of Purpose
Struggles with Sexuality (SWS) is a moderated forum that the recovery team members must approve before they are live for viewing. This forum is for members who want to stop a sexual activity or change a sexual orientation in some way. It is for those wishing to make a positive change in their lives because for one reason or another the choices that have been made are impacting negatively either physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually.
Christians and non-Christians may start threads, but only Christians may reply.
This forum provides support as well as encouragement from others going through similar issues or who have possibly been successful at making those changes.
Examples of some of the reasons a member may choose to post in SWS is the desire to stop masturbation, or to stop masturbating so much, to stop premarital sex in the relationship currently in or to prevent it in the next relationship, wanting to no longer be gay, or to learn to be celibate because of being gay. Being a family member, partner, or girlfriend/boyfriend of someone with a sexual issue that is creating issues in the relationship, and so the list goes on.
Please review our Recovery Guidelines before posting in the recovery forums.

OFF Topic Posts/Threads
Preaching or theological teaching or debating as this part of the forum is not for theological discussions, but for support and spiritual encouragement.
Posts that are not supportive of the Original Poster’s desire for change will be removed.
Posters that are only seeking to know if something related to a sexual behavior or lifestyle is a sin but not desiring to make a change in their lives will be asked to post in Ask A Chaplain where the Chaplains can address those types of questions.

Example of acceptable posts in SWS: “I need help stopping my sexual addiction. Any suggestions to help me? Do you think God will still love me?”

Example of unacceptable posts in SWS: “I’m addicted to sex. Is that a sin? Will I go to hell?”
Spiritual warfare including instructions and linking to preachers who discuss/provide instructions on spiritual warfare is not permitted as this is against both Site Wide rules and recovery guidelines.
No self-promotion of books, recordings, YouTube videos or websites/blogs to gain advertising. If you have one of these to be considered as an applicable resource, please contact Kristen.NewCreation.

Support
We encourage you to seek support here and if there are appropriate resources presented in reply, we’ll check them out. If you need or can be an accountability partner on CF, please add your name to the list and participate as part of the accountability group. Please choose your gender Specific Accountability thread.
Ladies
Gentlemen

Links and Resources of Interest (more to be added):
Crisis Hotlines
Christian inappropriate content Addiction Recovery » Blazing Grace

Distraction Ideas for Masturbation/Sexual Fantasy

Home (Pure Life Ministries)
12 Steps for Sexual Addiction
X3groups - Freedom From inappropriate content
Overcoming inappropriate content: The 40 Day Challenge A Bible Study

Live Free: Breaking out of the Prison of inappropriate content

MOD HAT OFF