Is there any reason to Bible only reason for a 6,000 year old earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is the mark of the beast? Please be specific.
According to basic doctrine, it is the number 666.

Revelation 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

And in anticipation of what you (or someone else) is going to say, please remember that I am KJVO.

Upvote 0

FrenchyBearpaw

Take time for granite.
Jun 13, 2011
✟4,283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
According to basic doctrine, it is the number 666.

Revelation 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

And in anticipation of what you (or someone else) is going to say, please remember that I am KJVO.

That's it? 666? Ok.

Upvote 0

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That's it? 666? Ok.

Ayup.

That alone spawned the heavy metal band album cover industry.

Of course the number that has to be taken in order for people to purchase goods etc that some evangelicals fears has taken any number of forms from a tattoo on the head to the current "number du jour" of implanted chips.

My beasts at home currently have such things. But I don't know if this will put them in good stead with the Antichrist when he takes over. At least someone in our house will be able to get goods and services.

And if the Antichrist gives out treats he will have the undying affection of my two beasts, no questions asked.

Boil mom and dad alive in the belly of a brass calf? Why not? Got some treats? Hey, that nasty headwound looks pretty bad...we'd be glad to go get you some help if you give us treats...

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟734,603.00
Faith
Humanist
The mark of the beast?

GOD-666.jpg

Upvote 0

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The mark of the beast?

GOD-666.jpg

"There are only two types of people in the world that I hate: people who are intolerant of other people's culture...and the Dutch!"
(From Austin Powers: "Goldmember")

Actually I quite like the Dutch. The Netherlands is one of my favorite countries since I started travelling there for work occasionally!

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟734,603.00
Faith
Humanist
"There are only two types of people in the world that I hate: people who are intolerant of other people's culture...and the Dutch!"

Actually I quite like the Dutch. The Netherlands is one of my favorite countries since I started travelling there for work occasionally!

Cool! Though the car with the mark is from Hungary. But maybe it was driven to the Netherlands at some point.

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
How do I do that?

You can send a PM to (I think) any of the people under the "moderators" tag at the top of the message board, just asking them to shut it down. It's kind of hard to describe things like this, but it's up there between the links to the two subforums and the actual threads here.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Maybe that plate is indicative of why the Pilgrims left the Netherlands, eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is there any reason to Bible only reason for a 6,000 year old earth?
Is there any reason to conclude that the earth is 6,000 years old, other than the bible? I've often said here that no one has ever examined the earth and concluded from that examination that the earth is so young.

Not that I know of............

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟734,603.00
Faith
Humanist
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are all foreigners.

You are unique just like everyone else.

In the US we have a written constitution that we all agree
to follow.

Christians also have a written book that we agree to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
To my understanding the only way one could reasonably infer a 6000 year old earth is if one only references Bishop Ussher's calculations based on the Biblical Generations.

There is no reason to even estimate the earth to be so young based on the actual earth.

This would be a serious problem for me if I wanted to be a Fundamentalist of that stripe. Why on earth would God make the earth to give every bit of information indicating a deep age only to have it not be so.

Everytime I talk to YEC and then go outside and look around I feel kind of sad for the YEC. Such a shallow and meaningless world YEC results in. It is a potemkin village they inhabit.

And somehow it brings them peace and joy.

Like people who would rather visit Epcot than the real world.

Just sad.

The fact is those who base their worldview on the Bible must rely on the Bible above all. If the Bible seems to indicate somthing then that is how it must be. This is the very definition of faith. If the Bible is allegorical or wrong then all claims it makes are thus. So if the Bible and what we see, or what lientists discover do not line up them I defer to the Bible. I mean who should we trust Almighty God or some dude who wants to deny Him. If the earth is older than six thousand years old God in his infinate wisdom has not provided us with that information, but the information given by modern science certainly makes no sense it is all predicated on the suspension of physical laws without the intervention of an all powerful creator, this is the epitome of illogical, flawed thinking.

Upvote 0
In the US we have a written constitution that we all agree
to follow.

Christians also have a written book that we agree to.

Amen, as christians we have a much higher authority than a flawed constitution written by men with no inspiration from God. ( Although the claim that all americans agree to follow the constitution is a bit dubious.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Amen, as christians we have a much higher authority than a flawed constitution written by men with no inspiration from God. ( Although the claim that all americans agree to follow the constitution is a bit dubious.)
Are you a Jehovah's Witness?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.