• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is there any real way to stop drinking if the person just will not admit it?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll make this real short, my moms had drank her whole life. She downs about 2 bottles of wine a night. In her early years it was about 2-4 (the 24oz kind) cans of beer. Since she has a weak tolerance for alcohol, she gets plastered easily. So she goes from an angry woman to a enraged woman who will scream for hours.

Tried everything to get her to get help and at most she will admit she drinks, but says its the only thing that her calms her down. Which obviously it does not and is an excuse. Our last step is this week we will let her hear audio of what she sounds like when drunk. It's so bad I can't even listen to it because I panic.

If this doesn't work then I am out of options to help her. I don't know if my dad could force her to get help. Not sure how that works. What sad is she has no real friends or family anymore, just how her parents ended up.

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How old is she? And no, typically, it is nearly impossible to get someone help if they won’t admit that they have a problem. I am very sorry for you guys. Will keep you and your mom in my prayers. Is she a Christian of any kind? Does she have a pastor?

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How old is she? And no, typically, it is nearly impossible to get someone help if they won’t admit that they have a problem. I am very sorry for you guys. Will keep you and your mom in my prayers. Is she a Christian of any kind? Does she have a pastor?
Just turned 60 this year. I realize at this age its near impossible to change of course.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just turned 60 this year. I realize at this age its near impossible to change of course.
Anything is possible. It’s tough, but it’s possible, and God will have to work on her. There’s a Catholic man named Matt Talbot who has been declared Venerable. Alcoholic for years. Overcame drink. Awesome man. His story may give you hope, and encouragement.

God bless you, and your mom. It’s tough, but it’s possible. Keep praying, friend.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A certain preacher once said that, usually when a habit has developed into an addiction or has spiralled out of control, a foul spirit will have now also made its way into that person's life such that, they will end up needing to be prayed for inorder for God to intervene. He gave examples like, alcohol & substance abusers, gamblers and debtors, especially those owing huge sums of money to mention just a few. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The same goes for humans unless you coerce or threaten them:
"You can lead a horse to water BUT you can't make him drink."

You are dealing with an addiction. The only way you can help is prayer and let her suffer all of the consequences of her problem and NOT step in and take them for her or excuse her or bail her out or... all of that behavior enables an addict to continue and not even desire change. Telling them you don't like it and that it is bad for them in so many ways is spitting into the wind if one does not let the addict suffer all of the consequences of their behavior, no matter what.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟236,715.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The best way for you to help her is to take care of yourself. I STRONGLY suggest that you join your local Al-Anon fellowship.
Yes, I alluded to this earlier but I did not know the acronym. I just briefly searched and there is also now another program, ACA, which was developed through experienced problems by some of the AL-Anaon. See differences layed out here: An Overview of Al-Anon and Adult Children of Alcoholics

Reactions: chilehed
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟236,715.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I alluded to this earlier but I did not know the acronym. I just briefly searched and there is also now another program, ACA, which was developed through experienced problems by some of the AL-Anaon. See differences layed out here: An Overview of Al-Anon and Adult Children of Alcoholics
Thanks, I ought to have mentioned ACA as well. My experience (but it's been quite a while) is that it can be a lot easier to find an Al-Anon meeting nearby, depending on where you live. Either fellowship will be helpful.

Upvote 0