Is there any name equivalent of "Mohammad" in western/aramic/hebrew/christian word?

Martin T.

Apr 29, 2019
East Java
✟7,731.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We have parallels of names in both Christianity and Islamic teaching. For example, we have Abraham in the Bible, by which he's called Ibrahim in Quran. Or, we have Jerusalem in the Bible and Darussalam in Quran. We have Jesus (Iesos) in the Bible and Isa in Quran. I'm curious, is there any 'translation' of the name "Mohammad" *if* anyone with the name Mohammad was mentioned in the Bible? Just out of curiosity, as these things fascinate me.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It means "praised, commendable" in Arabic, derived from the root حَمِدَ (hamida) meaning "to praise". I would imagine that there are related names in other semitic languages, but I'm not expert.

Reactions: Martin T.
Upvote 0

Martin T.

Apr 29, 2019
East Java
✟7,731.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It means "praised, commendable" in Arabic, derived from the root حَمِدَ (hamida) meaning "to praise".
Oh, interesting. Yea, I think there's probably similar words with the meaning "Praise" in Aramaic language. None of them sounded similar like "Mohammad" though. But that's interesting. :)

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have parallels of names in both Christianity and Islamic teaching. For example, we have Abraham in the Bible, by which he's called Ibrahim in Quran. Or, we have Jerusalem in the Bible and Darussalam in Quran. We have Jesus (Iesos) in the Bible and Isa in Quran. I'm curious, is there any 'translation' of the name "Mohammad" *if* anyone with the name Mohammad was mentioned in the Bible? Just out of curiosity, as these things fascinate me.

The word Mohamed is nowhere in the Scriptures. He lived 500 years after the Scriptures were finished.

Upvote 0