Is there any fundamental difference in doctrine....

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
.... between Southern Baptist and North American Baptist? All I can find online is the difference between Southern and Northern, but Northern and North American aren't the same convention either. Then there is also American Baptist, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

The immediately visible differences at the North American Baptist church I just attended:

1. They serve communion every week, whereas the Southern Baptist church I've been attending for the past 12 years serves it once a month. I kind of like the every week setup.
2. They recite the Apostles' Creed, including the word "catholic," which with a lower case c I understand to mean simply "universal" or "worldwide." It does not mean they are part of a system of beliefs that includes popes, priests, monks, and nuns. Even so, I would be more comfortable with that if they said "universal" or "worldwide."

Other than that, is there anything glaringly different in the doctrine? They do baptize by immersion, and they do believe in salvation by faith in Christ. What do the different Baptist conventions have in common that makes them all Baptist? And what basic doctrinal differences do they have that makes it necessary to split into Southern, Northern, American, North American, etc.?

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The cartoon your husband drew is interesting. The cartoon tells me you have a sense of humor, a kindly nature and a thoughtful opinion.
That is what I would surmise from the cartoon. He did a very good job of capturing "essence."
As for Baptist, I like the singing, the music and I have enjoyed their services but, doctrines, don't know much.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
For a number of years I attended a Fellowship Baptist Church. I found the people friendly and good hearted but very narrow. The theology matched the people. I moved on. You might be interested to know that the World Christian Encyclopedia lists some 600 distinct Baptist denominations.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Further research (read: Wikipedia) tells me that Northern and American are not two distinct Baptist conventions, but are one and the same. Northern changed its name to American. North American, however, is a separate group. Extends into Canada as well as the US. Hubby and I are Canadaphiles. We might be able to live with that.

I also learned that Southern and Northern divided over slavery (surprise!) and that Southern officially apologized for embracing slavery in 1995.

Over 600? Wow.

Makes me wonder even more what the real differences are.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Generally Southern Baptists are more conservative (or were, their organization has fought over that for a few decades now).

I suspect individual assembly differences are more substantial than "official" organization standards. I would recommend getting to know a few of the mature Christians there, and carefully bring up the subjects of Bible reliability and the gospel of grace.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Makes me wonder even more what the real differences are.

In some cases these might be national denominations like the Baptist Church of Uganda which might be affiliated with an American parent Baptist church and perhaps one or two other national Baptist churches.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Generally Southern Baptists are more conservative (or were, their organization has fought over that for a few decades now).

I suspect individual assembly differences are more substantial than "official" organization standards. I would recommend getting to know a few of the mature Christians there, and carefully bring up the subjects of Bible reliability and the gospel of grace.

The most liberal/progressive Christian I have ever met was a Southern Baptist. She used to chat under "christianskeptic".

Upvote 0