Is there any Biblical example of anyone living underground?

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe not completely underground but digging down several feet so your floor is much warmer in the winter than outside and much cooler in the summer than outside. While underground housing has its many problems (radon and moisture) for temperature control its hard to beat if no energy is being consumed. So I was wondering if there are any examples of people doing this in the Bible. The only one I can think of is when Jesus counselled the people to "build their house on a rock". But this was an example of foundational living and beliefs. Now Israel doesn't get very cold in the winter but its still uncomfortable without heating in the coldest months. And its pretty hot in the summer. So it looks like this would be a smart way to live there. And most everywhere. Most people do this by using a hillside so the house is not really underground but merely bermed so the rear is against the hillside and the front is facing the sun. But now with cheaper excavation techniques and machinery its possible to have all 4 sides surrounded by earth maximizing insulation with natural light pouring in from skylights on the ceiling. This would be an interesting way to live in urban environments as it would be very quiet with a well designed ventilation system. The main advantage to this is almost no energy is used to keep the place at a comfortable temperature.

The real aim for prepping is to be able to have the skills to live simply. Sure you can buy all kinds of equipment but in a catastrophic situation, the best armed people will simply take what they want. And you can't "take" an underground house and not many people can live in one house so its less likely they'll take it over. The smaller it is the less likely they'll toss you out! Another advantage of an underground house is it can be concealed very well so people will need to be right on top of it to notice it if you've lived "quietly" and not clear cut everything around it. Basically you melt into the forest/jungle.

Reactions: Tobyjoe

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Lot lived in a cave after the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, (fairly catastrophic).
Otherwise, people living in caves are hiding out for their lives.
Genesis 19:30 Then Lot went up out of Zoar and dwelt in the mountains, and his two daughters
were with him; for he was afraid to dwell in Zoar. And he and his two daughters dwelt in a cave.

1 Samuel 22:
David therefore departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam. So when his brothers
and all his father’s house heard it, they went down there to him.
2 And everyone who was in distress, everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was discontented gathered to him. So he became captain over them. And there were about four hundred men with him.

1 Kings 18:4 For so it was, while Jezebel massacred the prophets of the Lord, that Obadiah had taken one hundred prophets and hidden them, fifty to a cave, and had fed them with bread and water.)

Are you a suspicious observer? Safe, 5 minute daily report

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes!
I have looked into the idea of a house in the side of a mountain. You essentially dig a cave into the shear side of a hill and built into the cave. The heating/cooling benefits are obvious. The deeper you good the more the benefit... especially in the summer. I think I read how that 6 feet down you get to 55 degrees year-round. Don't quote me on that. :grimacing:
I think the environment would benefit from doing away with a lot of the housing footprint if our towns and cities tried to go underground on a large scale. Just a dream.

Reactions: Tobyjoe
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes!
I have looked into the idea of a house in the side of a mountain. You essentially dig a cave into the shear side of a hill and built into the cave. The heating/cooling benefits are obvious. The deeper you good the more the benefit... especially in the summer. I think I read how that 6 feet down you get to 55 degrees year-round. Don't quote me on that. :grimacing:
I think the environment would benefit from doing away with a lot of the housing footprint if our towns and cities tried to go underground on a large scale. Just a dream.

Well one advantage is you could park right on top of your house! Both cars! You better select those steel I-Beams for the roof carefully though.

If you look at photos of windowless rooms that just use the ceiling for light, it seems very natural. Almost like you're outside. Its almost eerie how peaceful it is having light pour in from above. You can do similar things with very high windows. Say you live on a busy street, ground level. Say you've got an 8' ceiling. Imagine the whole top of the wall is glass and that comes down 12" - 18". You have privacy all the time (except from taller buildings close by) and the light pours in from above. Not the same as a clear ceiling but its still very nice. Yet you almost never see this done in congested urban areas. Instead they put the windows at normal height forcing people to use drapes. Makes no sense. Examples:

CoeLux skylights shed "sunlight" on windowless spaces - Green Prophet

11 baños abiertos para convertir tu casa en un oasis - Baños

• Informative
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well one advantage is you could park right on top of your house! Both cars! You better select those steel I-Beams for the roof carefully though.

If you look at photos of windowless rooms that just use the ceiling for light, it seems very natural. Almost like you're outside. Its almost eerie how peaceful it is having light pour in from above. You can do similar things with very high windows. Say you live on a busy street, ground level. Say you've got an 8' ceiling. Imagine the whole top of the wall is glass and that comes down 12" - 18". You have privacy all the time (except from taller buildings close by) and the light pours in from above. Not the same as a clear ceiling but its still very nice. Yet you almost never see this done in congested urban areas. Instead they put the windows at normal height forcing people to use drapes. Makes no sense. Examples:

CoeLux skylights shed "sunlight" on windowless spaces - Green Prophet

11 baños abiertos para convertir tu casa en un oasis - Baños
Great post. I would hope that during the Millenium this approach would prevail. We live in the earth and not on it.

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Humidity is a very difficult problem with underground homes/finished basements. Flooding is a problem if you're not in a hillside. Ventilation ducts and fans with dehumidifiers are a good idea. It can be done. But just digging a hole in a hillside will be problematic if you don't do it right. And be careful to support the ceiling from cave-ins.

• Informative
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Humidity is a very difficult problem with underground homes/finished basements. Flooding is a problem if you're not in a hillside. Ventilation ducts and fans with dehumidifiers are a good idea. It can be done. But just digging a hole in a hillside will be problematic if you don't do it right. And be careful to support the ceiling from cave-ins.
Thanks for the ideas. Valid ideas indeed.

Upvote 0