• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is there an unforgivable sin

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
he fact is the cross covers all of a person's sins. The only thing that can stop it from being applied is unbelief. Sin is "deceitful", it causes us to believe lies. In the end, sin prevents us from believing in the cross, even though it is available to us.

Yes

Upvote 0

TedT

Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so afraid that I'm lost and going to die and be apart from Jesus. I want to be with Him.
Yes....I finally gave up my striving and accepted that as a sinner GOD could do with me whatever HE wanted, that I would accept it all, good or bad, because I knew I had earned all the bad that could come my way.

I basically ignored my fears and kept working for HIM as I felt called and gave myself over to His judgement of me as probably less than I do deserve. If hell would stop me hurting others, I was ready to go.

It's been better, now.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

TedT

Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but what about the Scriptures about blaspheming the Holy Spirit and never being forgiven? That terrifies me.
For me , the doctrine of election was a Godsend. If I was elect, my salvation was in HIS hands, not mine. And if I was not elect, when I fell away I would probably not be bothered as I turned to the lie to justify my sin: Rom 1.

Saved by grace alone means that if HE wants me to be saved, HE must have to keep me from sinning the unforgivable sin; HIS will be done. Period.

Of course, coming to accept that the rejection of YHWH as GOD in the Satanic rebellion was the unforgivable sin and the sins of the sheep gone astray into sin were forgivable as they were already His sheep, was a great comfort.

It is not the disvalue of the sin that condemns us to hell since the slightest sin, rebellion, has an ultimate disvalue with GOD. Rather it is our relationship with GOD that saves or condemns us:

If an elect sins, Christ dies.
If a non-elect sins, they go to hell as they are not under Christ's promise and so are unforgivable.

So, are you elect or non-elect? IF you found out you were non-elect would you hate Christ or still try to serve Him because of His majesty, glory and wisdom?

Realizing it was out of my hands altogether, I quit worrying and set myself to serve Christ no matter where I might end up.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read almost everything I can find about it and everyone has different interpretations of what it is and how it's committed. I didn't even know that it was a thing until a few weeks before I said what I said that sent me into this mess.

May I ask what the sin was that you thought was unpardonable?

I am so afraid that I'm lost and going to die and be apart from Jesus. I want to be with Him.

It's the scriptures in the gospels about the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and the scary verses in Hebrews 6.

It's said if you fear it, you haven't done it. What we are to fear more than blaspheming the Holy Spirit is to be condemned because we don't follow Jesus as our Lord (not saying you don't). I haven't met anyone as far as I know that has blasphemed the Holy Spirit. There was a time I wrongly "knew" I had. As long as we still want a relationship with Christ, it's a good indicator we haven't done it. Another thing is, you can't do it by a mistake. It's something done from the heart of hearts.

Reactions: TedT
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟398,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
On of the main problems for people <edit> is the condemnation that they have comitted an unpardonable sin, that God will not forgive you. The case is that God will forgive any sin, and I have cut and pasted the case for this from my website.

From time to time a person may think that they have committed a sin that is unpardonable, but is it actually scriptural. First I will the most common reason people feel they have committed it, and show that really there is no basis for this for a person who desires repentance.

So what are the scary verses? Hebrew 6 is the most feared.

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. - Heb 6:4-6

So that sounds quite scary to a genuine Christian who may have fallen into a sin, or gone back to an old sin. They may well think I have fallen away, I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit and it is as Hebrews says now &#8220;Impossible&#8221;, to be &#8220;bought back to repentance&#8221;. However the actual problem with this thinking comes from the idea that the verse is actually meaning that they are currently &#8220;crucifying the Son of God all over again&#8221;. This thinking would mean that in order for the person to have out sinned God, Jesus sacrifice is no longer there. But how far does it stretch? Only one sin, two sins, no sins, only sins before receiving the Holy Spirit? The latter is often peoples fear, i.e. &#8220;I have once been enlightened&#8221;, now they feel cut off. But we will actually start with Hebrews to show that the idea that Jesus sacrifice is limited to a few sins or one almighty sin is flawed. Note the following verse:

Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; Heb 9:27-28

So what did that just say, man dies once, so in like manner Jesus dies once. So from my rendering that is a life for a life, one life time of sins for one sacrifice. We don&#8217;t face judgment until after we die.

But is this scriptural how forgivable is sin, and once we receive the Holy Spirit are we a super being incapable of sinning? First we must go to a verse directed to those who HAD received the Holy Spirit and it says:

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. - 1Jn 1:7-9

So firstly he said &#8220;if we claim to be with out sin&#8221;, or the devil tells you were 100% with out sin, and have now stuffed up, we should quote that verse, &#8220;If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us&#8221; but what else does it say God is &#8220;is faithful and just and will forgive&#8221;. And furthermore what of the verse below:

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense&#8212;Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. - 1Jn 2:1-2

But if anyone does sin, we have one who speaks in our defence, so Jesus is actually defending you. Remember what Jesus said to his disciples when they asked how many times their brother could sin and still be forgiven.

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times&#8221;. As we know meaning infinitely. Mat 18:21-22

And what about the book of James:
My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. - Jas 5:19-20

Also the bible says in Ezekiel

Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live! - Eze 18:31-32

What God, does not delight in the death of anyone, so he is not delighting in sinners perishing.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. - 2Pe 3:9

So if we confess our sin, it is pardonable, why well the sacrifice of Jesus is available today. Why well God is &#8220;faithful and just&#8221;, &#8220;not willing that anyone perish&#8221;, taking &#8220;no pleasure in the death of anyone&#8221;. But remember it is a life for a life, once for all sin, in the same way it is appointed for man to die once and face the judgment. But hey don&#8217;t be scared if you are alive and reading this there is no problem. The only sin that will kill you is totally unrepentant sin, not willing to come back for forgiveness no matter what God says, and if you have that sort you are probably not even interested in reading this page. God is not unjust, he is faithful
Right away I have to say that blasphemy of The Holly Spirit is basically the rejection of Jesus until death, which cannot be forgiven. The reason I say this is because The Holy Spirit nudges us to turn to Christ, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion." Hebrews 3:15 So unless someone rejects Christ completely and stubbornly until passing on no I don't think they've blasphemed The Holy Spirit.

As far as salt losing it's saltiness which you mentioned actual table salt which has impurities like iodine for flavor takes 5 years to go bad so if someone purposely turns away from God for "five years" so to speak (no Im not actually putting an expiration date on faith) then maybe they could lose saltiness but actual natural salt will not lose it's saltiness and Jesus knew this when saying this because He made it. Remember the verse where Jesus talked about the leaven of the Pharisees getting into the whole batch of dough well impurities in the salt makes you lose your saltiness so just try not to have impurities.

In short the only unforgivable sin to be concerned with as a Christian is the mark of the beast which no one has that I know of yet. If you're a Christian already then you haven't rejected The Holy Spirit's call on your life :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KisKatte

Jesus, send us your Holy Spirit.
Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟52,837.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
???? If a person with weak psychotic inner life says or thinks something wrong it is enough to ask God sorry for that. Believe me guys the real unforgivable sin is killing somebody. Very rarely you then succeed in true repentance and there will follow punishment. If you hurt others it is forgivable but if it is extreme it is hardly forgivable. Anyway you are free after the punishment. God wants to save everybody. There are not elected or non-elected. Someday everybody will be saved. The ones earlier the others later. Stop making yourself crazy. If you sincerely think what a perfect being (=God) would really want from you. Do you think an almighty perfect being wants you to make yourself crazy about it? If you lose your mind how are you of service for yourself and other people? You can not help anybody anymore and are ill of fear. That is not what God wants for you. Think logically. God is logic.

• Haha
Reactions: TedT
Upvote 0