Is there an Orthodox hatred of Protestants?

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My intention is not to offend anyone, but so far, the biggest hurdle for me in joining the Orthodox faith is an apparent dislike for "Protestant" Christians.
I would like to share a letter that I wrote to a friend of mine who is a recent (Australian) inquirer in the Orthodox Church.
"I want to share some thoughts with you and I hope you won't take offense. The Australian priest's words have stuck with me, as well as a cartoon I saw on Facebook mocking protestants...and other bits I've picked up here and there. I've developed a rule over the past year, that if a Christian displays hatred for others, especially other Christians, they are someone who I should assume is not walking with God.
I find it ironic that the priest seemed concerned that I might be taking advice from a "crazy American Ascetic", as I have received most of my information so far from the Australian Father Kosmas. Father Seraphim Rose is the closest I've come to taking advice from an American Orthodox ascetic....and I respect him very much.

I have also noticed an attitude from many of the Orthodox people I've observed of an intense dislike, even hatred toward protestants, and an overwhelming attitude that they can't possibly know Christ.
This truly concerns me, especially when I see leaders with these attitudes.

I realize that America is very corrupt and worldly, my understanding is that the same is true of Australia as well as other countries.
I realize that protestant churches house many "cultural christians" and false converts. Of course, the Orthodox nations like Russia have a terrible problem with this also.
Some of the Orthodox I've seen condemning protestants appear to have worldly and even anti-christ interests.

I know that no person and no church is perfect. I know there are major problems with the protestant churches. But I also know several (Protestant)precious souls who love Jesus with their whole heart and share that love with those around them. These people are living testimonies to Christ's transformation of lives and His miracles. To deny that is, as far as I'm concerned, a denial of Christ Himself.

At this point, I am concerned that I may not be able to move past this issue with the Church. I truly hope that I have gotten the wrong impression or that there are enough people who don't share these views that this issue won't be a stumbling block for me."...
I'd like to hear your opinion and experience on this issue.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My intention is not to offend anyone, but so far, the biggest hurdle for me in joining the Orthodox faith is an apparent dislike for "Protestant" Christians.
I would like to share a letter that I wrote to a friend of mine who is a recent (Australian) inquirer in the Orthodox Church.
"I want to share some thoughts with you and I hope you won't take offense. The Australian priest's words have stuck with me, as well as a cartoon I saw on Facebook mocking protestants...and other bits I've picked up here and there. I've developed a rule over the past year, that if a Christian displays hatred for others, especially other Christians, they are someone who I should assume is not walking with God.
I find it ironic that the priest seemed concerned that I might be taking advice from a "crazy American Ascetic", as I have received most of my information so far from the Australian Father Kosmas. Father Seraphim Rose is the closest I've come to taking advice from an American Orthodox ascetic....and I respect him very much.

I have also noticed an attitude from many of the Orthodox people I've observed of an intense dislike, even hatred toward protestants, and an overwhelming attitude that they can't possibly know Christ.

I realize that America is very corrupt and worldly, my understanding is that the same is true of Australia as well as other countries.
I realize that protestant churches house many "cultural christians" and false converts. Of course, the Orthodox nations like Russia have a terrible problem with this also.
Some of the Orthodox I've seen condemning protestants appear to have worldly and even anti-christ interests.

I know that no person and no church is perfect. I know there are major problems with the protestant churches. But I also know several (Protestant)precious souls who love Jesus with their whole heart and share that love with those around them. These people are living testimonies to Christ's transformation of lives and His miracles. To deny that is, as far as I'm concerned, a denial of Christ Himself.

At this point, I am concerned that I may not be able to move past this issue with the Church. I truly hope that I have gotten the wrong impression or that there are enough people who don't share these views that this issue won't be a stumbling block for me."...

You find a mishmash of all of those feelings among the Orthodox. Some of them are just rotten people you're likely to find anywhere.

But a lot of it they came by honestly. When I became Orthodox I was looked on with suspicion because those people I loved thought I was a protestant "plant" sent to convert them. And that they often leave Church on Sunday to find those disgusting Chick tracts stuck to their windshields didn't help.

When I think of devout protestants I think of my late grandmother. She rarely ever went to Church but lived her life in a way that would make any saint envious because she believed "the Lord Jesus" expected her to and she didn't want to let him down.

So where does that leave us?

• Friendly
Reactions: Brighid
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

None that I've noticed.

church-exterior.jpg

houston-greek-fest-houston-tx.jpg

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In my state of Pennsylvania in the US, I have never witnessed or experienced of the sorts. Though a convert, my ancestries are paternal Syrian Orthodox & maternal Anglo/Celtic Protestant. I think a few bad attitudes get over represented on the web.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that they hate them.

But there are some who are snarky about Protestantism. I understand why they feel that way but sometimes it's a little too harsh.

It's not always easy trying to debate and teach someone when they keep calling you a pagan / idolater . I've experienced this even on youtube comments. Or they automatically think that I'm Roman Catholic and don't even know what Eastern Orthodoxy is etc.

Once they find out about the councils and church history they usually start to understand why we have and do certain things in The Church. It's mostly out of ignorance that they have particular views.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can only speak for myself.

If I dislike someone, it won't be because they're Protestant, or Catholic, or Mormon or what have you.

However, I take strong issue with the Protestant system (or systems) and can sometimes have strong words for it.

Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that they hate them.

But there are some who are snarky about Protestantism. I understand why they feel that way but sometimes it's a little too harsh.

It's not always easy trying to debate and teach someone when they keep calling you a pagan / idolater . I've experienced this even on youtube comments. Or they automatically think that I'm Roman Catholic and don't even know what Eastern Orthodoxy is etc.

Once they find out about the councils and church history they usually start to understand why we have and do certain things in The Church. It's mostly out of ignorance that they have particular views.

That makes sense.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I can say that the people I know n my parish aren’t like that. Anytime any of my family members comes to visit our parish, they welcome them with open arms. Most of us have family, or at minimum friends, that aren’t Orthodox as well.

Like @HTacianas, my grandmother is an excellent example of a non-Orthodox Christian who I want to emulate in her devotion and faith to God. She had pure love for God, and shows it in all she does, even now when she has dementia. I can’t imagine any of the Orthodox people I know having a dislike towards her. I’m not saying that dislike isn’t out there by some - but I do think my experience is different.

Also, it is important to note that disagreeing with Protestant beliefs - even really strong disagreements - isn’t the same as dislike of Protestants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ILiekCatz

Jan 31, 2020
Leipzig
✟17,446.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

i don't "hate" anyone, but i admit that i have a good degree of dislike for american protestants. from them you hear cringeworthy things such as flat earth theories, or that europeans stem from the 10 lost tribes of israel, or their tendency to think that arrogance is also included among their god-given rights. it's not really a good thing, and i admit it's something that i get from the internet. IRL, americans are just like everyone else. I have to remind myself that the internet is not quite a real place

Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Brighid,

Christian sects of all kinds have some kind of a bias in what they believe. The difference is how an individual expresses those differences or not. I keep reading the word they which implies people that may or may not act or believe that way and therefore it implies judgement on all Orthodox.

I came from a protestant church that was seeking what the first church was and find it to be the Orthodox Church ☦️.
I was told once I became Orthodox that the Orthodox Church has the fullness of the Christian faith. This is truth for this is the church that God started and appointed Saint Peter to be the first Patriarch. However, I know that when I was apart of that protestant church I loved God just the same as I did when I first became an Orthodox Christian. The reason I became an Orthodox Christian is because I was seeking the truth and wanted to live the truth to the best of my ability. I did not find that in the RC because they changed the creed from what it was when the creed was first formed and it doesn't match the scriptures at a specific point.

The Orthodox Church knows God is the judge and He will determine the final say of a person's salvation.

I think it's important to say that I have run into Protestants that do the same thing and go after the EO and RC churches and say they are not legitimate. What is sounds like to me the satan is trying to influence Christians against Christians to disrupt the flow of love for one another.

In the Orthodox Church we are allowed to married a Christian that is not Orthodox as long as they are baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and that they allow their Orthodox spouse to practice their Orthodox faith. So what does that say about us accepting Protestants into our faith. We also accept their baptism from their Protestant church.

So the best thing I can say to you is to take courage in seeking your heart and if you find that the Orthodox Church is what you want to convert to then go ahead.

Here are a couple of testimonies about actors that were Protestant and converted to Orthodoxy and why.

Jonathan Jackson "How I became Orthodox"

My favorite on of Jonathan is this one, but it's long.
Clergy-Laity 2016: Jonathan Jackson: The Mystery of Art - Becoming An Artist in the Image of God

Shawnee Smith. She is really sweet.
Shawnee Smith, actress, USA: Orthodox, A Love Story - How I became Eastern Orthodox Christian

May God bless you as you seek your answers and hopefully let the things that some say (not all) that concerns you not keep you away from what God is calling you too.

Love in Christ, ☦️
Donna Marie
Thank you for this. I didn't know that the Orthodox church recognizes Protestant baptisms. All of these comments are helpful. I think that I allowed a few comments on the internet to overshadow the love of the Church. It didn't occur to me that the Orthodox Church might be hurt and reacting because of that, but of course it must be true. I am reminded of some terrible things I have said to and about Catholics and now I see the other side of that and my own faults.

Thank you for the video links and thanks to you and the other commenters for taking the time to help me with your honest and compassionate replies.

This forum is a blessing and I thank God for all of you!

Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i don't "hate" anyone, but i admit that i have a good degree of dislike for american protestants. from them you hear cringeworthy things such as flat earth theories, or that europeans stem from the 10 lost tribes of israel, or their tendency to think that arrogance is also included among their god-given rights. it's not really a good thing, and i admit it's something that i get from the internet. IRL, americans are just like everyone else. I have to remind myself that the internet is not quite a real place
Yes, the internet causes so much division and many wrong ideas and tends to bring out the worst in people so often. I appreciate your honest reply. I have made wrong assumptions, but I am glad that you all have shown that I was wrong and that Christ's love is alive in His Church.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The only times I've had the misfortune of meeting those sorts of misguided individuals, they've either 1) just been the sort who would likely be a jerk no matter what religion or 2) ex-Protestants who became Orthodox and now feel they have to compensate for not having been Orthodox their whole lives.

Fortunately, they've been very few and far between. In my thirty years of living, about half of it being Orthodox, I've probably met only four.

The only other thing I'd like to add:
Fr Seraphim Rose has a semi mixed reputation. Personally, I think he is an underappreciated modern American saint. He held some controversial views on the afterlife, and was a strict ascetic, both of which lead many to call him crazy. Thankfully, we're allowed to have theological opinions because, at least when it comes to the afterlife, we won't know until we get there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I find it ironic that the priest seemed concerned that I might be taking advice from a "crazy American Ascetic", as I have received most of my information so far from the Australian Father Kosmas.
Father Kosmas is a bit of a controversial figure in Australia. He has gotten himself in trouble with the archdiocese on a few occasions.

• Useful
Upvote 0