Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was just wondering if the Orthodox Church had a document that acts like the Catechism does for the Catholic Church.
It's called the Divine Liturgy :)
The hymns and prayers of the liturgy are the primary means of learning the Orthodox faith. There is a saying that goes, "We pray what we believe, and we believe what we pray,"

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's called the Divine Liturgy :)
The hymns and prayers of the liturgy are the primary means of learning the Orthodox faith. There is a saying that goes, "We pray what we believe, and we believe what we pray,"

you beat me to it. especially the anaphora prayers and the canon during Matins.

Upvote 0

SalemsConcordance

Oct 5, 2020
Westcoast
✟36,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing there is at least a collection of common questions with answers out there?
Because there is no one single institution, you won't find black and white 'answers' on many things outside of strict dogma, whereas many other answers will depend on you and the Priest!

This is the OCA free online version of Fr Thomas Hopko's "The Orthodox Faith" books which was a great help for me in trying to understand basic theology:
The Orthodox Faith

I am 8 ish months into Catechism, and I found this lack of easily-searchable answers frustrating at first - sign of our culture of the need for immediacy. My local parish does a weekly class, and I attend Divine Liturgy and any other services I can, I try to grab my Parish priest when he is free for a 1:1 meeting, and I read a lot, and then when I'm confused, I ask the Priest.

I go back to Fr Seraphims warnings for Catechumens quite a bit, and very slowly peck at St John Chrysostom's advise for Catechumens.

Fr Seraphim Rose: Convertitis or Convert Pitfalls
Convertitis according to Father Seraphim Rose (about the beginners' problems) - The Ascetic Experience

Fr Seraphim Rose: A bit more text on beginner and convert / Catechumen pitfalls
Converts - Chapter 88 from Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works

St John Chrysostom
CHURCH FATHERS: Instructions to Catechumens (St. John Chrysostom)

• Informative
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you beat me to it. especially the anaphora prayers and the canon during Matins.
I think it is an important distinction that the Orthodox faith is meant to be experienced and cannot truly be learned in an academic manner.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Danbuter, your profile says you are from Harrisburg, ( Pennsylvania?). If so, I know of St. John Chrysostom Orthodox Church in fairly nearby York, Pa. If possible, that may be a good parish to visit. It is less than 30 years old & ( from what I have heard), a good blend of traditional & convert. I live near Wilkes-Barre, Pa. & have not actually been to St. John Chrysostom but did live in York, Pa. for a few years back in the 1980s.

Here is a link to St. John Chrysostom, they seem to have some registered approach to attending DL ( cause of COVID, of course). Obviously there should be other possible parishes nearby also like Holy Trinity Cathedral in Camp Hill, Pa.

Anyway here are links (if this can be helpful):

St. John Chrysostom Orthodox Church

Home | Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A question from an outsider, please? How does the Orthodox Church view the Didache and The Great Catechism by Gregory of Nyssa?

I would think positively; our parish priest had me read the Didache when I was being catechized. I continue to refer to it often on CF. I have not read St. Gregory’s catechism but it should be considered important ( I would think).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I wholeheartedly agree about the catechism involved in the liturgy, some people from Catholicism mean a catechism more in the form of what we believe regarding specific issues.

The Catholic catechism spells out positions on abortion, euthanasia, contraception, birth control, Islam, you name it...

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Danbuter, your profile says you are from Harrisburg, ( Pennsylvania?). If so, I know of St. John Chrysostom Orthodox Church in fairly nearby York, Pa. If possible, that may be a good parish to visit. It is less than 30 years old & ( from what I have heard), a good blend of traditional & convert. I live near Wilkes-Barre, Pa. & have not actually been to St. John Chrysostom but did live in York, Pa. for a few years back in the 1980s.

Here is a link to St. John Chrysostom, they seem to have some registered approach to attending DL ( cause of COVID, of course). Obviously there should be other possible parishes nearby also like Holy Trinity Cathedral in Camp Hill, Pa.

Anyway here are links (if this can be helpful):

St. John Chrysostom Orthodox Church

Home | Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral.
Holy Apostles and Christ the Savior (Mechanicsburg and Harrisburg - both OCA) are also excellent. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it is an important distinction that the Orthodox faith is meant to be experienced and cannot truly be learned in an academic manner.

yep, you live it to learn it

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A question from an outsider, please? How does the Orthodox Church view the Didache and The Great Catechism by Gregory of Nyssa?

they should be read

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do recommend Fr Thomas Hopko's series that was named in an earlier post.

I also recommend "The Orthodox Church" by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware (usually published as Timothy Ware from when he was a layman) as a good Orthodoxy 101 type of book.

Another one that sometimes gets forgotten is "The Law of God" by Fr Seraphim Slobodskoy

But the best thing to do is attend Divine Liturgy and speak with the priest! :)

Upvote 0

Ezana

Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά
Oct 22, 2020
British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think there ought to be a standard catechism. When I look at the approval of divorce and sexual anarchy among churched Christians, I can see that they are plainly not being catechized.

Upvote 0