Is there an organized system of persecution in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm thinking it does and heres why. The scripture is specific "all that live Godly in Christ Jesus, shall suffer persecution". Look around, how many want to have a show of hands. Who do you know that fits that criteria?

In Christ,
Lee

Nonsense. I am a Christian, I live a Godly life and I am not being persecuted for my faith.

This does not mean my faith is not genuine, merely that I am living in the 21st century, not the first.

The text you quote does not prove that all Christians are being persecuted. What it does is to provide a justification for a persecution complex which is completely separated from reality.

In my opinion it is a gross insult to our brothers and sisters in faith in other parts of the world who are being persecuted, and even killed, such as Christians in Palestine, to claim that a casual remark to a Christian in the US is on the same level. Sometimes Christians behave obnoxiously; it is not persecution to say so. It is true.

Upvote 0
E

everready

Your sharing Christ while in a wheel chair, the hearer doesn't like what their hearing, they all of a sudden haul off and throw a punch.
Would you consider that being persecuted or just a disturbed listener, wanting to give you his opinion?

Would you call that nonsense or better still, has it ever happened to you? because it happened to me. The hatred for Christ in his eyes was a an inferno, foam was drooling out his mouth. Is that still nonsense? You should have been there, this is the same kind of treatment our brothers and sisters endure but its a crowd in their case not just one individual, as it was with me.

In Christ,
Lee

Nonsense. I am a Christian, I live a Godly life and I am not being persecuted for my faith.

This does not mean my faith is not genuine, merely that I am living in the 21st century, not the first.

The text you quote does not prove that all Christians are being persecuted. What it does is to provide a justification for a persecution complex which is completely separated from reality.

In my opinion it is a gross insult to our brothers and sisters in faith in other parts of the world who are being persecuted, and even killed, such as Christians in Palestine, to claim that a casual remark to a Christian in the US is on the same level. Sometimes Christians behave obnoxiously; it is not persecution to say so. It is true.

Upvote 0
M

maelstrom

There is indeed an organized system of persecution in America: it's called the mental healthcare system. If you go to a psychiatrist and tell them you believe the things in the Bible and that you believe you're in communication with God, you'll be labelled mentally ill. This label could carry ramifications affecting the rest of your life. If they find that you have been fasting more than they consider healthy, you'll be involuntary committed to a mental institution. I'm not joking, I've heard about this happening and seen it firsthand--a guy who was fasting got locked up for fasting without permission from a doctor, and they took away his Bible and locked him up and drugged him.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is indeed an organized system of persecution in America: it's called the mental healthcare system. If you go to a psychiatrist and tell them you believe the things in the Bible and that you believe you're in communication with God, you'll be labelled mentally ill. This label could carry ramifications affecting the rest of your life. If they find that you have been fasting more than they consider healthy, you'll be involuntary committed to a mental institution. I'm not joking, I've heard about this happening and seen it firsthand--a guy who was fasting got locked up for fasting without permission from a doctor, and they took away his Bible and locked him up and drugged him.
Oh please. That is utter nonsense! If you're going to talk about persecution, talk about real persecution that happens around the globe. Not unbelievable, 'well, my neighbor told me so it must be true' stories.

Ridiculous! The more y'all whine about these fairy tale claims to persecution, the more American Christians sound like spoiled people who don't appreciate the freedom they have in this country. Grow up!
Ringo

Upvote 0

Unbroken

Jan 18, 2007
Michigan
✟8,024.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh please. That is utter nonsense! If you're going to talk about persecution, talk about real persecution that happens around the globe. Not unbelievable, 'well, my neighbor told me so it must be true' stories.

Ridiculous! The more y'all whine about these fairy tale claims to persecution, the more American Christians sound like spoiled people who don't appreciate the freedom they have in this country. Grow up!
Ringo
You mock your fellow Christians without actually taking a look at what is going on. That doesn't appear very Christian to me. The government is not out to get us, most certainly not. However, powerful organizations like the ACLU continually attack Christianity, with help from government supporters.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You mock your fellow Christians without actually taking a look at what is going on. That doesn't appear very Christian to me. The government is not out to get us, most certainly not. However, powerful organizations like the ACLU continually attack Christianity, with help from government supporters.
What I mock is ridiculous claims of persecution that have no basis in reality and that make Christians look ridiculous. We have Christians in China dying because they simply own a Bible, and some American Christian who doesn't appreciate their freedom is whining about some fairy tale about being considered unhinged because you believe the Bible?

The Bible tells us to expect persecution towards the end of the world, but it doesn't say to look for persecution around every corner and to whine whenever things don't go our way. I wish my fellow American Christians would grow beyond this kind of pettiness and learn to appreciate what they have. The Christians in the Bible who were truly persecuted did not act like this when they were suffering from real persecution. They worked for the betterment of society by spreading the gospel - not by whining about "persecution" where there is no persecution.

No matter how persecuted you may feel here in the US, I am completely sure that there are Christians across the world who have experienced far worse.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Unbroken

Jan 18, 2007
Michigan
✟8,024.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
What I mock is ridiculous claims of persecution that have no basis in reality and that make Christians look ridiculous. We have Christians in China dying because they simply own a Bible, and some American Christian who doesn't appreciate their freedom is whining about some fairy tale about being considered unhinged because you believe the Bible?

The Bible tells us to expect persecution towards the end of the world, but it doesn't say to look for persecution around every corner and to whine whenever things don't go our way. I wish my fellow American Christians would grow beyond this kind of pettiness and learn to appreciate what they have. The Christians in the Bible who were truly persecuted did not act like this when they were suffering from real persecution. They worked for the betterment of society by spreading the gospel - not by whining about "persecution" where there is no persecution.

No matter how persecuted you may feel here in the US, I am completely sure that there are Christians across the world who have experienced far worse.
Ringo
While I don't disagree with what you're saying. The reason I stated what I stated how I did, is because you [as well as many other people here] seem to talk down to each other in such a poor manner.

I realize other countries have it MUCH worse, but in sticking to what this thread is about, persecution in America, I stated that the politically connected and well financed anti-Christian orginizations have infact begun persecuting us.

In my opinion, it begins with this, then becomes worse. I'm not looking for persecution, but it's kind of obvious when they press it down our throats daily how "inferior" we are. They make constant attempts to take our religious freedom, and it's really not hard to see.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I don't disagree with what you're saying. The reason I stated what I stated how I did, is because you [as well as many other people here] seem to talk down to each other in such a poor manner.

I realize other countries have it MUCH worse, but in sticking to what this thread is about, persecution in America, I stated that the politically connected and well financed anti-Christian orginizations have infact begun persecuting us.

In my opinion, it begins with this, then becomes worse. I'm not looking for persecution, but it's kind of obvious when they press it down our throats daily how "inferior" we are. They make constant attempts to take our religious freedom, and it's really not hard to see.
While I try to be respectful of the varying viewpoints found on this board, I have little respect for the 'Americans are being persecuted in America' viewpoint, admittedly.

I don't believe for an instant that any organization is out to "get" Christians, but you are free to believe whatever you wish. The reason we have no persecution in this country is because of the existence of the separation of church and state (which other countries do not have). It has protected religious freedom in this country for two hundred years, and will continue to do so as long as this country is devoted to religious freedom.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Unbroken

Jan 18, 2007
Michigan
✟8,024.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
While I try to be respectful of the varying viewpoints found on this board, I have little respect for the 'Americans are being persecuted in America' viewpoint, admittedly.

I don't believe for an instant that any organization is out to "get" Christians, but you are free to believe whatever you wish. The reason we have no persecution in this country is because of the existence of the separation of church and state (which other countries do not have). It has protected religious freedom in this country for two hundred years, and will continue to do so as long as this country is devoted to religious freedom.
Ringo
The ACLU has openly admitted to being out to get Christians. They've openly said they will try to humiliate us infront of our children, discredit us, make us appear foolish, disgrace and destroy us. They fully intend to fulfill those words too. They've already begun within our school systems. The evidence is easy to dig up, if you must dig at all.

"All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Upvote 0
M

maelstrom

It's no fairytale, I've seen it with my own eyes, I've been locked up in the psych ward *in America* with other Christians, I've had the doctor prescribe me to anti-psycho meds, then once he saw that I was still reading the Bible, he told me he was going to FORCE me to take additional medications because I was "religiously preoccupied" (in his own words). At least I got to keep my Bible--the other guy in there was dragged into an isolated cell, stabbed with sedatives, and they took away his Bible because he was singing from it.

This is going to be a reality in America under nationalized healthcare--when the government takes over healthcare, as they are currently in the process of doing, it will be mandatory for all Americans to receive mental health screenings, and those who take the Bible seriously will be deemed mentally ill, and if they don't take their meds they will be in trouble... Mandatory mental health "treatment" for all Americans WILL happen under socialized medicine a la Hillary Clinton.

People who think America is still a free country need to wake up, it is getting worse year by year, and Christians aren't doing anything about it because they're too lazy and stupid from pigging out at their fancy restaurants after church. All the other nations laugh because Americans like to talk and talk about freedom but, in practice, don't place any value on it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's no fairytale, I've seen it with my own eyes, I've been locked up in the psych ward *in America* with other Christians, I've had the doctor prescribe me to anti-psycho meds, then once he saw that I was still reading the Bible, he told me he was going to FORCE me to take additional medications because I was "religiously preoccupied" (in his own words). At least I got to keep my Bible--the other guy in there was dragged into an isolated cell, stabbed with sedatives, and they took away his Bible because he was singing from it.

This is going to be a reality in America under nationalized healthcare--when the government takes over healthcare, as they are currently in the process of doing, it will be mandatory for all Americans to receive mental health screenings, and those who take the Bible seriously will be deemed mentally ill, and if they don't take their meds they will be in trouble... Mandatory mental health "treatment" for all Americans WILL happen under socialized medicine a la Hillary Clinton.

People who think America is still a free country need to wake up, it is getting worse year by year, and Christians aren't doing anything about it because they're too lazy and stupid from pigging out at their fancy restaurants after church. All the other nations laugh because Americans like to talk and talk about freedom but, in practice, don't place any value on it.
You were locked up in a psycho ward because you were, in the words of the psychiatrist, "religious preoccupied". I don't know you so I can't comment on your mental fitness, but it seems to me that this story is all about you - not about America in general.
Ringo

Upvote 0

hogndog

Saved by grace and grace alone
Apr 24, 2007
On The Battlefield
Visit site
✟8,814.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Granted, this didn't happen here but after reading your post I'll share it. In Bulgaria a Pastor was taken for mental evauluation. They found him guilty of reading the bible as you stated, once that was done they injected him with turpintine to see whether that would make him normal. The book its tittled Toutured For Christ. I'm an evangelist, what do you suppose they would inject me with? Jet Fuel? :eek:

Upvote 0

hogndog

Apr 24, 2007
On The Battlefield
Visit site
✟8,814.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You were locked up in a psycho ward because you were, in the words of the psychiatrist, "religious preoccupied". I don't know you so I can't comment on your mental fitness, but it seems to me that this story is all about you - not about America in general.
Ringo

If he was "religious preoccupied" how would they classify you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOKvonLrH8

Maybe?

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Your sharing Christ while in a wheel chair, the hearer doesn't like what their hearing, they all of a sudden haul off and throw a punch.
Would you consider that being persecuted or just a disturbed listener, wanting to give you his opinion?

This is not religious persecution. This is assault, and it could have happened for any of a thousand reasons. Clearly it is unlawful, but it is not persecution for your faith.

What happened to you is not nonsense. What is nonsense is to claim that Christians in the US are routinely suffering persecution. They are not.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

This is a complete misrepresentation of the truth.

To quote from House, if you talk to God you are normal, if he answers you back, you are psychotic. This is a trite, but useful, saying. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hogndog

Apr 24, 2007
On The Battlefield
Visit site
✟8,814.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This is not religious persecution. This is assault, and it could have happened for any of a thousand reasons. Clearly it is unlawful, but it is not persecution for your faith.

What happened to you is not nonsense. What is nonsense is to claim that Christians in the US are routinely suffering persecution. They are not.

Not 5 minutes earlier we were the best of friends and then I brought my Savior to the table to share in our conversation. Once he found I had invited Jesus he went into a rage that was of the devil. You see people aren't rejecting you there despising Christ.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Nobody is prescribed anti psychotics for reading the Bible. They are prescribed because people are psychotic. In English, this means that they have lost touch with reality, and can no longer discern real from imaginary or false.

From which we can see that it is very easy for a psychotic person to believe that it is the Bible reading that is being targetted. If they 'confirm' this by reading about persecution to come, then that is taken as QED. But this is not the case.

In terms of what is normal and what is pathological, this was explained to me some time ago, when I was asked if I see angels, and I hesitated, but then said yes. I said I do not see them as I see people, but as I see memories.

The psychologist said that because angels are an accepted part of our culture, then it is not a sign of pathology (mental ill health) to see them. If I saw little green men it might be a worry, but angels are fine. Similarly, in a world where many people read the Bible, it cannot ever become pathology to read the Bible. However, it is very possible for that reading to become obsessive, or compulsive, or life limiting in some way, and to therefore indicate an underlying condition.

None of this equates to persecution of Christians. What it equates to is care for disadvantaged members of our community, carried out with care and dignity.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Granted, this didn't happen here but after reading your post I'll share it. In Bulgaria a Pastor was taken for mental evauluation. They found him guilty of reading the bible as you stated, once that was done they injected him with turpintine to see whether that would make him normal. The book its tittled Toutured For Christ. I'm an evangelist, what do you suppose they would inject me with? Jet Fuel? :eek:

I see nothing to be gained from such speculation. Whatever is good, whatever is true, whatever is holy, think on these things.

The future for any one of us is in God's hands. Best leave it there, imo.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Not 5 minutes earlier we were the best of friends and then I brought my Savior to the table to share in our conversation. Once he found I had invited Jesus he went into a rage that was of the devil. You see people aren't rejecting you there despising Christ.

This proves nothing about persecution of Christians in the US. All it does is indicate that you have problems with boundaries, and this person has problems with anger.

If I were having a normal conversation with anyone, and he started talking as if Christ were joining in, I would find it impossible to continue the conversation as well. I would not hit you, but I would close politely and walk away. Such behaviour does not, imo, fit within my own experience of what is normal and acceptable. This is not a rejection of Christ. It is a rejection of weird behaviour.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.