Is there a reason why I don't understand salvation?

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why doesn't anyone preach the good news about Jesus in its COMPLETE and CORRECT form? I have heard and read too many half-gospels and clearly incorrect versions of it.

Is God preventing me from getting to the saving knowledge? Is something restricting my access to the true gospel?

And most importantly, WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?????

The day is soon over and I have again spent my few hours of free time in this endless process of finding the gospel!!!

The gospel of salvation is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 ( sounds familiar to me i don't know why :p ) .

If you still don't know if it's true gospel for today read this : Galatians 1:8.
Every human or angel preaching other gospel than that one is cursed .

If somebody preach to you that what is in 1 Cor 15:1-4 and say that you need to be baptised , he has wrong gospel .
If somebody preach to you that what is in 1 Cor 15:1-4 and say that you need to repent , he has wrong gospel .
If somebody preach to you that what is in 1 Cor 15:1-4 and say that you need to speak in tongues , he has wrong one.
If somebody preach to you that what is in 1 Cor 15:1-4 and say that you need to do good deeds , wrong one .
If somebody preach to you that what is in 1 Cor 15:1-4 and say that you need to call on name of Lord , wrong one .
If somebody preach to you that what is in 1 Cor 15:1-4 and say that you need to believe and do nothing else , good one .

You get baptised after you are saved to declare that you belong to Body of Christ , you do good deeds after you are saved for treasure in heaven , you call on name of Lord after you are saved as prayer .

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why doesn't anyone preach the good news about Jesus in its COMPLETE and CORRECT form? I have heard and read too many half-gospels and clearly incorrect versions of it.

Is God preventing me from getting to the saving knowledge? Is something restricting my access to the true gospel?

The day is soon over and I have again spent my few hours of free time in this endless process of finding the gospel!!!

1 Corinthians 15Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

The Good News About Jesus Christ
15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want you to remember the Good News I told you. You received that Good News message, and you continue to base your life on it. 2 That Good News, the message you heard from me, is God’s way to save you. But you must continue believing it. If you don’t, you believed for nothing.

3 I gave you the message that I received. I told you the most important truths: that Christ died for our sins, as the Scriptures say; 4 that he was buried and was raised to life on the third day, as the Scriptures say; 5 and that he appeared to Peter and then to the twelve apostles. 6 After that Christ appeared to more than 500 other believers at the same time. Most of them are still living today, but some have died. 7 Then he appeared to James and later to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, he appeared to me. I was different, like a baby born before the normal time.

9 All the other apostles are greater than I am. I say this because I persecuted the church of God. That is why I am not even good enough to be called an apostle. 10 But, because of God’s grace, that is what I am. And his grace that he gave me was not wasted. I worked harder than all the other apostles. (But I was not really the one working. It was God’s grace that was with me.) 11 So then it is not important if I told you God’s message or if it was the other apostles who told you—we all tell people the same message, and this is what you believed.

Upvote 0

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 15Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

The Good News About Jesus Christ
15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want you to remember the Good News I told you. You received that Good News message, and you continue to base your life on it. 2 That Good News, the message you heard from me, is God’s way to save you. But you must continue believing it. If you don’t, you believed for nothing.

3 I gave you the message that I received. I told you the most important truths: that Christ died for our sins, as the Scriptures say; 4 that he was buried and was raised to life on the third day, as the Scriptures say; 5 and that he appeared to Peter and then to the twelve apostles. 6 After that Christ appeared to more than 500 other believers at the same time. Most of them are still living today, but some have died. 7 Then he appeared to James and later to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, he appeared to me. I was different, like a baby born before the normal time.

9 All the other apostles are greater than I am. I say this because I persecuted the church of God. That is why I am not even good enough to be called an apostle. 10 But, because of God’s grace, that is what I am. And his grace that he gave me was not wasted. I worked harder than all the other apostles. (But I was not really the one working. It was God’s grace that was with me.) 11 So then it is not important if I told you God’s message or if it was the other apostles who told you—we all tell people the same message, and this is what you believed.

Good news were to Jews , Jesus was Jew , he come to Jews with good news that Messiah has arrived and kingdom of heaven is near Matthew 15:24 , it was good news for them , because that was thier whole point as nation , to wait for Messiah to come and die for thier sins according to Scriptures and then declare that to the world , but they reject him .

Then God took the gospel of salvation as free gift to gentiles to provoke Jews Romans 11:11.

If you don't rightly divide , you will not understand this .

And if you preach different gospel you will pay for it .

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Summary of the "gospel"?:

Jesus the Christ, the God-Man, Son of God, Son of Man, THE Divine Messiah, TRUE Man, TRUE God, (many names/titles) etc...

has come down / was sent down from the heavenly realms to earth to SAVE Man from eternal spiritual death (separation from God).

GOOD NEWS! GLAD TIDINGS!

"the gospel" >used only in the NT!<...Greek 2098...euaggelion...
as the Messianic rank of Jesus was proved by his words, his deeds, and his death,
the narrative of the sayings, deeds, death, and resurrection of Jesus the Christ
came to be called the "gospel" or "glad tidings".

Mark 1:14-15 (NASB)...Jesus Preaches in Galilee
Now after John (the Baptizer) had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the "gospel of God",and saying,
“The time (prophecy) is fulfilled, and
the "kingdom of God" (Jesus) is AT HAND; (Jesus the Divine Messaiah has COME!)
Repent (turn to God) AND BELIEVE in the (this?) "gospel".”

Jesus was the personification of the "Kingdom of God".

Luke 17:21...nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’ For behold, the "kingdom of God" is (standing) in your midst.”

GOSPEL of the KINGDOM / GOSPEL of GOD

Matthew 4:23 (NASB) (see also Matthew 9:15; Matthew 24:14)
... [ Ministry in Galilee /synagogues + Prophecy of the end of the ages]
Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming "the gospel of the kingdom", and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Ephesians 1:13..In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth,
"the gospel of your salvation" — having also believed,
you were sealed in Him with (God) the Holy Spirit of promise,

1 Timothy 1:11...according to the glorious "gospel of the blessed God", with which I have been entrusted.

Matthew 24:14
This "gospel of the kingdom" shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the Nations, and then the end (of Tribulations) will come.

Upvote 0

pius463

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2016
Indonesia
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Good question.
There are at least four things required to understand salvation: (1) know who we are, (2) know why we are here, (3) know how salvation works, (4) know the threads for being a Christian.

Jesus did not write a Gospel, neither He ordered the disciples to write the Gospels. Jesus is the Gospel. It means we need to follow His sayings.
The Church now has the Bible. The Bible gives some guidance, it gives some background, but, it also brings complexities, i.e. I find some verses in the Bible are in controversy with the Gospel. For example, John 10:30 vs Acts 2:24, Acts 2:36.
It doesn't mean the Bible is wrong, no, it means we have to work harder to find the ultimate truth.
The problems, many discussion prefer to quot wisdom from outside the Gospels; you cannot find the truth based on the half-truth. I find it is easier to understand salvation through what did Jesus say.

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good question.
There are at least four things required to understand salvation: (1) know who we are, (2) know why we are here, (3) know how salvation works, (4) know the threads for being a Christian.

Jesus did not write a Gospel, neither He ordered the disciples to write the Gospels. Jesus is the Gospel. It means we need to follow His sayings.
The Church now has the Bible. The Bible gives some guidance, it gives some background, but, it also brings complexities, i.e. I find some verses in the Bible are in controversy with the Gospel. For example, John 10:30 vs Acts 2:24, Acts 2:36.
It doesn't mean the Bible is wrong, no, it means we have to work harder to find the ultimate truth.
The problems, many discussion prefer to quot wisdom from outside the Gospels; you cannot find the truth based on the half-truth. I find it is easier to understand salvation through what did Jesus say.
If "I and the Father are one" meant that Jesus is the Father, Acts 2:24 and 2:36 would be in controversy with John 10:30. However it doesn't. It means that Jesus is of equal power with God the Father.
What did Jesus mean when He said, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30)?

Upvote 0

pius463

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2016
Indonesia
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If "I and the Father are one" meant that Jesus is the Father, Acts 2:24 and 2:36 would be in controversy with John 10:30. However it doesn't. It means that Jesus is of equal power with God the Father.

I don't think that it means "of equal power",

John 14:7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.
John 14:9 .... Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.

Mark 12:29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one."
If Jesus is not the Father than Jesus is not God. If Jesus is not God then Christianity is in question. However, Christianity is like stepping up the staircase of coming to know the only true God ( John 17:3 ). If Jesus is other than the Father, if Jesus is other than the only true God, then we will come only to know "our perceived true God", I mean what we know about God might not the same with what Jesus have taught, and we will never come to John 17:3.

For me, it means Jesus is also the Father. No explanation is needed, just accept it. Then, based on the acceptance (the truth of John 10:30) we try to understand Acts 2:24, Acts 2:36, John 14:28, etc. John 10:30 is the highest step of the staircase, the later verses are at the lower steps of the staircase; this what I meant "It doesn't mean the Bible is wrong".

I've tried to elaborate in other discussion. Please read
The only true God #58 and #59

Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CObondservant

Aug 26, 2017
Colorado
✟16,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

-----------------------------
The bible is by design, written so that we're drawn into it. It's easiest to learn about a topic by gathering ALL the passages about that topic and coming to a conclusion based on the evidence. 2 Thessalonians 1:8 says the gospel is something that must be *obeyed*.

1. One must be taught correctly (Romans 10:17, Matt 7:24-27)
  2. One must then believe correctly based on what he's been taught (Heb 11:6, Mark 16:15-16)
  3. One must develop correct faith from the believing (Heb 11:6)
  4. One must repent (develop Godly sorrow for his sin, and promise to fight sin for the rest of his life) (2 Corinthians 7:10, Acts 2:38, 17:30, Luke 13:3)
  5. One must confess, also called making your good confession right before being immersed. (Matt 10:32-33, Acts 8:36-37, Romans 10:9)
  6. One must be Baptized (Immersed)- as an adult - for EXACTLY what the Bible says to be Baptized for, which is for remission of sin, to receive the Holy Spirit, required to be saved. Thats right! Only baptism in Jesus' name forgives sin. ***There is no forgiveness outside baptism for the exactly correct reason! If you've only believed, or been baptized as an outward sign of an inward change, or just because Christ did it, then sadly you are not Scripturally "Born Again". Statements you may have heard from the pulpit at your church regarding "Jesus died for you and me", ""Jesus loves you!", and "God shed his blood that all can be saved", and the like are INCOMPLETE SCRIPTURAL IDEAS and are meaningless unless you understand the rest of the section you are reading!! (Acts 2:38, Mark 16:15-16, Acts 22:16, 1 Peter 3:20-21, Acts 10:48, John 3:5, Luke 7:30, Read 2 Cor. 5:17 along with Gal. 3:27. Romans 6:3-5, Acts 8:36-38, Mark 1:9-10, John 3:23. Matt 28:19, Isaiah 28:9, not for infants: Matt 18:3, Mark 10:13-15, Ezekiel 18:20, Romans 14:12).
  7. One must live the rest of his life a Christian and cannot "fall away" like Demas did. (Demas listed as Fellow Worker with Paul - Philemon 24, listed with the Christians in Col. 4:14, but then leaves the faith in 2 Tim. 4:10. Must remain faithful: Rev. 2:10) Also see Galatians 5:4, Romans 11. That also means obeying Hebrews 10:25 which states we must be in good standing at the Lord's church - the church of Christ and be in attendance at all times. The Head (Jesus) cannot be separated from the Body (the church which is YOU!) and survive! If you love Him, you will always desire to be near His Flock! Do NOT forsake the assembling of yourselves!

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Adam, in his foolishness, separated himself from his Creator by disobeying Him, by denying His authority as God. This is the state we’re born into now, whether we realize it or not, disassociated from God, not knowing Him and so also not knowing where we came from, if anywhere, what we’re here for, if for anything, and where we’re going, if anywhere; man is lost. And Adam’s descendants don’t start out with any advantage in terms of their own wills vis a vis God. Here we experiment with our own freedom, with our own autonomy from a superior Being, with our own preference for that autonomy. We need something we don’t have, something that comes with struggle- we need to gain the wisdom to acknowledge God’s existence and of our need for Him, we need the wisdom to acknowledge the supremacy of His wisdom, of His goodness and trustworthiness and rightful and deserving place as God. God needs to be enthroned again as the God of man or else man remains lost, and incapable of refraining from the sin and the misery that ultimately entangles us when man becomes his own god, when man’s will reigns in his world.

God, from the beginning, had a plan of salvation for man, already in place and initiated at the Fall. Humankind corporately would have to mature, with His help, before it was ripe to begin its harvest. And so He led a small group of chosen people through a history that involved gradually revealing His will –of revealing Himself-to them, as they were ready to receive it. And of course they were stubborn, straying away into disobedience more often than not, obeying mechanically and legalistically at best, which was perhaps the most many could do by that time anyway. This is when Jesus came. The world was then ready, just barely, to receive the full revelation of God, the whole light, even as most would continue in darkness at least to begin with.

What did man, more often than not contentious, competitive, struggling to survive, jealous, angry, afraid, covetous, sinful, and maybe road-weary after his centuries-old sojourn from his Father, need? He needed to find and to know God directly, personally, the true God whom Jesus came to reveal, in the same way he now knew sin and death which are the consequences of being estranged from God, who’s the source of justice and life for man. So Jesus came to reveal God, and to reconcile man with Him so they may commune again, a relationship which, itself, constitutes justice and right order for man.

“Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” John 17:3

So by word and deed Jesus reveals the Father, because when we’ve seen Jesus we’ve seen the Father, and the ultimate deed He performed was to willingly suffer an excruciatingly humiliating and painful death at the hands of His own creation in order to prove just how much He loves it, in spite of its sin, just how far He, God, would go to demonstrate that love to us. And then He resurrects so that we can witness eternal life for ourselves, and see that this love indeed triumphs over all, over sin and death.

Jesus’ life and death is witness to a different God, having the purpose of erasing the “distorted image” of God that, according to a teaching I’m familiar with, man conceived of at the Fall, the image of a distant and often angry God, aloof in His superiority, the god we play whenever we abuse power or authority over others. But our Christian God, hanging on a cross, is a stark contrast to the gods of this world, to the fame and pride and power-hungry, selfish, covetous, values we inherit here. The true God is actually gentle and humble, amazingly, while He could squash us all like a bug of course. The cross, Christ’s death proclaimed by the church, always stands on the horizon beckoning us, so that, as we finally become jaded with the values of this world we may be able to navigate to this very different God who hung on it, to the true God. And as we do He gives us the grace to believe, and He begins to reveal Himself beyond mere intellectual knowledge. And while that new, direct, knowledge, itself an aspect of faith, remains relatively dim in this world (unless He decides to give us intense “glimpses” of it at times), it’s a supernatural knowledge nonetheless, a dimmer foretaste of the full knowledge or vision to come that produces sheer unbridled peace and happiness within man, the happiness we all desire and were created for. We’re asked to pursue increasingly more of that knowledge here, orienting ourselves with it, aligning ourselves with God’s will, choosing life over death, good over evil, the ultimate good being Himself. This faith/knowledge that opens the door to and establishes communion with God is referred to in the New Covenant prophecy of Jer 31:34: “No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest”

God came to teach and help man love as He does as He transforms us into His image, and to receive the reward within ourselves of doing so. This is His work of transforming us, a work we only need to cooperate with. It’s referred to in Jer 31:33: “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.”

Love is how that law is fulfilled. Love itself, the heart of the gospel, the focus of the greatest commandments, the image of God and the direct result of His indwelling of man, is what our justice/righteousness consists of and how God makes us worthy of eternal life. To truly know God is to love Him, and love of neighbor coincides.

A lot of the biblical language surrounding the atonement involves the use of literary devices IMO, reflecting the truth as best they could using analogies to human conventions and concepts in general. And in any case God could’ve accomplished this atonement any way He wished. But the way He did it, forgiving and turning the cheek throughout His passion and death, gives us a choice to accept His offer- or not- and to do the same in our own lives, loving and forgiving others as He loves and forgives us. Self-sacrificial love now becomes the sacrifice to end all other sacrifices, those sacrifices having never pleased Him anyway because they can’t accomplish what love can:

“You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
My sacrifice, O God, is
a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.”
Ps 51:15-17

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.
Hosea 6:6

“But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy [also translated “compassion”], not sacrifice.'” Matt 9:13

As we come to love, we are just. Grace is the doorway to faith, and faith the doorway to love, to God, who is love.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0