Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
im Episcopalian and we have the book of common prayer which has the order for the eucharist, daily prayers for individuals or families , the liturgy for baptist , marriage etc ... is there a Lutheran equivalent of this ?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While not quite to the extense as the Book of Common Prayer, there are three that I know of. The Lutheran Book of Worship is published by Augsburg Press (ELCA) and the Lutheran Book of Prayer as well as Lutheran Worship are published by Concordia (LCMS). Lutheran Worship is more of a hymnal, but it includes prayers and services for Baptism, Communion, etc.
Lutheran Book of Worship: https://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/product/2423/Lutheran-Book-of-Worship-Pew-Edition
Lutheran Worship: Lutheran Worship: Pew Edition
Lutheran Book of Prayer: Lutheran Book of Prayer, 5th Edition

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I'm "up" on any new editions, but the Lutheran books always appealed to me because the sung responses are built right into the liturgy unlike the style of the BCP...and the hymnal is included.

But as steve said, these books are not as comprehensive as the BCP which was created to be just about everything that a layman could want and need (except for the hymnal).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No, there really isn't. Lutherans use lots of different liturgies and prayer books now days. We use the Lutheran Book of Worship from the late 90's, but sometimes we will use even older worship materials. On occasion we even use the King James Bible.

Lutherans traditionally based their worship off the Roman Rite, with some modifications. Whereas the Anglicans used the Saurum Rite. That's why confession and absolution tends to happen first at the beginning of the service, for us.

There is even a Byzantine-Rite Lutheranism, though its quite small in the US, which uses Byzantine style liturgy, vestments, etc. So there is really no particular one rite or liturgy that is exclusively Lutheran.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I probably should have said that I was referring to the only jurisdictions that I have had any association with, and they would be the LCMS and the predecessor to the ELCA. I like both of the books they used then, although I think there's nothing that compares to the BCP overall.

Upvote 0

Theatreguy18

The Episcopal avenger
Jun 15, 2015
Charleston S.C.
✟13,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, there really isn't. Lutherans use lots of different liturgies and prayer books now days. We use the Lutheran Book of Worship from the late 90's, but sometimes we will use even older worship materials. On occasion we even use the King James Bible.

Lutherans traditionally based their worship off the Roman Rite, with some modifications. Whereas the Anglicans used the Saurum Rite. That's why confession and absolution tends to happen first at the beginning of the service, for us.

There is even a Byzantine-Rite Lutheranism, though its quite small in the US, which uses Byzantine style liturgy, vestments, etc. So there is really no particular one rite or liturgy that is exclusively Lutheran.
That's awesome about the Byzantine rite Lutheranism I'm actually a member of the society for eastern rite Anglicanism.my best bud wants to be a ELCA priest and I a episcopal one so we actually wanna go to seminary together. We're gonna try and transfer to the same college next year for a New Testament major.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There are some ex-orthodox like myself out there but I think its a question of numbers. I would love to attend a Byzantine-Rite service: to worship God in a way that feels like home but have the evangelical faith proclaimed in word and deed.

Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very cool, I had not idea that there was a Lutheran Byzantine Rite. As you said, I think it is the numbers. I would think that it would have to be quite high in a particular parish though. I had a conversation with a Catholic Priest once about why he didn't have a Tridentine Mass at his parish. He said that while it was an interesting mass, he saw little need to learn how to offer it as the parish did not have enough people interested. Although, sometimes I think it is a chicken and the egg scenario. If it were offered more, more people would attend.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
A couple Lutheran prayer books jump to mind; I'm not sure that any of them are exactly like the BCP, but they're similar.

EmmanuelPress sells "The Brotherhood Prayer Book." I don't have a copy of it (but I have used the online version), but I believe it has the canonical offices for each day of the year in Gregorian chant. I really want a copy of it, but I would prefer them to use ESV instead of KJV since that's what the LCMS tends to use, so that's why I've held off.

Concordia Publishing House also sells a few different prayer books:
The Treasury of Daily Prayer is a phenomenal resource. It contains daily lectionary readings, psalms, chant tones, daily prayers, and a meditation/sermon excerpt/etc. for each day (usually from a Church Father or Old Lutheran)
Lutheran Book of Prayer is pretty good. It has morning and evening prayers for each day of the week on a 4 week cycle (so 28 morning and 28 evening prayers total), as well as prayers for various occasions: preparation before the liturgy, in times of struggle or sickness, for family members, etc.
Starck's Prayer Book is supposed to be great as well. I have never used it, but it has been recommended to me by a few people. I'm not sure how it compares to BCP.

My bet is that the closest equivalent to BCP for Lutherans would be the Brotherhood Prayer Book or the Treasury of Daily Prayer.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A couple Lutheran prayer books jump to mind; I'm not sure that any of them are exactly like the BCP, but they're similar.

EmmanuelPress sells "The Brotherhood Prayer Book." I don't have a copy of it (but I have used the online version), but I believe it has the canonical offices for each day of the year in Gregorian chant. I really want a copy of it, but I would prefer them to use ESV instead of KJV since that's what the LCMS tends to use, so that's why I've held off.

Concordia Publishing House also sells a few different prayer books:
The Treasury of Daily Prayer is a phenomenal resource. It contains daily lectionary readings, psalms, chant tones, daily prayers, and a meditation/sermon excerpt/etc. for each day (usually from a Church Father or Old Lutheran)
Lutheran Book of Prayer is pretty good. It has morning and evening prayers for each day of the week on a 4 week cycle (so 28 morning and 28 evening prayers total), as well as prayers for various occasions: preparation before the liturgy, in times of struggle or sickness, for family members, etc.
Starck's Prayer Book is supposed to be great as well. I have never used it, but it has been recommended to me by a few people. I'm not sure how it compares to BCP.

My bet is that the closest equivalent to BCP for Lutherans would be the Brotherhood Prayer Book or the Treasury of Daily Prayer.

I have the Lutheran Book of Prayer and I quite like it. I mainly use it for thanksgiving and the daily prayers.

I'm sold on your recommendation on the Treasury of Daily Prayer; I just ordered it! :)
I could find a compact leatherbound version on Amazon, which is cool. Cheers man.

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There is also Evangelical Lutheran Worship which is the most recent and probably most comprehensive resource the ELCA has. But it's also worth pointing out that worship isn't normative in the ELCA at least. While the ELW is commended for use, there is no requirement to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0