Is there a historian on here who could tell me about Queen Mary of Scots?

May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
(I am dead serious so please don't laugh at my post, I don't want it to be taken that way.)

So my grandmother says that Queen Mary of Scots ("Bloody Mary") is one of my ancestors and yet I don't really know a thing about her, I think she lived a long time ago. Yup...she's definitely dead today.

Could somebody tell me something historical about her?

https://www.google.com/search?q=que...K3iwKjp4HwDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=815

Last edited:

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
(I am dead serious so please don't laugh at my post, I don't want it to be taken that way.)

So my grandmother says that Queen Mary of Scots ("Bloody Mary") is one of my ancestors and yet I don't really know a thing about her, I think she lived a long time ago. Yup...she's definitely dead today.

https://www.google.com/search?q=que...K3iwKjp4HwDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=815

I'm no historian but she was Queen of Scotland and bride of the Dauphin in France, he died a year later making her Queen of France as well. She was by rights entitled to the throne in England but had some pretty serious competition from Elizabeth I. She had every means of being the most powerful ruler in Europe controlling half of Europe. Her son James became King James, the king that authorized the King James Bible in 1611 that still bears his name.

Bloody Mary they called her and for good reason, blood shed around her was horrible. Bloody wars and assassination plagued her reign and she ended up beheaded in 1587.

The Protestant/Catholic political divide is a part of the controversy surrounding her reign, she was a devout and political Catholic.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lavender1275

May 4, 2013
✟15,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Y'all are getting some Mary's confused here. "Bloody Mary", Queen of England, was the elder half-sister of Queen Elizabeth I. She was the daughter of King Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon.

Mary, Queen of Scots, was not "Bloody Mary." It is she who was married to the Dauphin, Francis.

So which one is your ancestor?

Upvote 0

Lavender1275

May 4, 2013
✟15,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Y'all are getting some Mary's confused here. "Bloody Mary", Queen of England, was the elder half-sister of Queen Elizabeth I. She was the daughter of King Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon.

Mary, Queen of Scots, was not "Bloody Mary." It is she who was married to the Dauphin, Francis.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Thanks for that, your right

Mary, Queen of Scots (7/8 December 1542 – 8 February 1587),
Queen Mary I ‘Bloody Mary’ (18 February 1516 – 17 November 1558)

Nice catch

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So my grandmother says that Queen Mary of Scots ("Bloody Mary") is one of my ancestors and yet I don't really know a thing about her, I think she lived a long time ago.
Are you interested in trying to verify this? :) It's not as hard as it sounds, since family trees of nobility are readily available. It's possible that you would only have to get back to the 18th century to figure it out.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Queen "bloody" Mary Tudor had no children, so you can't be descended from her.

Mary, Queen of Scots had only one child: James I of England (and VI of Scotland), so if you are descended from her, you're descended from him as well.

He had 7 children, but only two of them managed to reproduce, so you'd have to be descended from either Elizabeth Stuart, Electress Palatine (Bohemia's Winter Queen) or from HRM Charles I of England.

Reactions: Christel33
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Queen "bloody" Mary Tudor had no children, so you can't be descended from her.

Mary, Queen of Scots had only one child: James I of England (and VI of Scotland), so if you are descended from her, you're descended from him as well.

He had 7 children, but only two of them managed to reproduce, so you'd have to be descended from either Elizabeth Stuart, Electress Palatine (Bohemia's Winter Queen) or from HRM Charles I of England.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Mary Queen of Scots was a great lady, an admirable monarch. It seems unlikely she would have descendants in the United States, there wouldn't be very many in England either. It could be that you are from the same line, now that's a lot more likely and more common then most people realize. If your Grandmother is trying to say your related to Mary Queen of Scots I think I would be intrigued enough to do a genealogy search.

My Father always told me we are French Indian, when I traced it back I found we go back to the Huguenots. At any rate, I think you should pursue it.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Mary Queen of Scots is not Bloody Mary. Mary Tudor is Bloody Mary, and she had no children. They were distant cousins; Mary QoS's great grandmother was sister to Mary Tudor's Father, Henry VIII. Mary QoS was mother to James VI of Scotland and I of England.

If you read this book it will tell you all that you could ever wish to know. Very tragic lady.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Heart-Ow...2&sr=8-1&keywords=my+heart+is+my+own+John+Guy

It is unlikely that you are a descendant specifically of Mary QoS, although it is thought that up to 1/3rd of the UK population is related to royalty in some way, so if you have UK roots some kind of link may just be possible. Not surprising when the royal dynasties go back over a thousand years. However, I have to say, my daughter is a genealogist and this kind of story is very common in families but is rarely true. If it were true there would be some kind of evidence lying around; family silver with coats of arms, photographs or paintings; something other than a story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Kate94

Nov 4, 2015
East Coast USA
✟7,764.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There are Americans descended from Mary, Queen of Scots, but probably under a thousand. One family that comes to mind is the lords Baltimore and their descendants, via an illegitimate daughter of Charles II.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Swingate_Calvert
If you are, then we're distant cousins. I'm a documented descendant of Prince Rupert's illegitimate daughter, Ruperta.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert_of_the_Rhine

Most of us with no recent connections to the royal family that are descendants of Queen Mary and King James are through someone's love child. :) Queen Mary's half-brother also has a multitude of descendants and they are probably more numerous among non-royals.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are Americans descended from Mary, Queen of Scots, but probably under a thousand. One family that comes to mind is the lords Baltimore and their descendants, via an illegitimate daughter of Charles II.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Swingate_Calvert
If you are, then we're distant cousins. I'm a documented descendant of Prince Rupert's illegitimate daughter, Ruperta.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert_of_the_Rhine

Most of us with no recent connections to the royal family that are descendants of Queen Mary and King James are through someone's love child. :) Queen Mary's half-brother also has a multitude of descendants and they are probably more numerous among non-royals.
Canada is a monarchy, you know! :) and Nova Scotia even has its own aristocracy dating from the Scottish monarchs (although it tends to keep relatively quiet)...

Reactions: Kate94
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kate94

Nov 4, 2015
East Coast USA
✟7,764.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk