California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Between the "Churches of Christ", "Congregational" and "United Church of Christ" or are those just three different names for same Church?
The latter two are basically identical, with the last being the new name for the groups that merged to form it.
Church of Christ is a Fundamentalist group with a free-will theology in opposition to the Calvinism from which it sprang around 1800.

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In spite of being (or at least claiming) to be so New Testament in their nature, they overlook the Predestinarian (but not Calvinistic) nature of Paul's teaching and instead insert 1800 US frontier-culture American agrarian individualism. Like anybody else, they believe what they want to believe. They're only "New Testament only" to the extent it fits early 19th Century Border State mentality.

Upvote 0

RevTellez

My Nephew Graduation 2013
Aug 17, 2015
Van Nuys, CA
✟7,614.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The United Church of Christ was formed when two Protestant churches, the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the General Council of the Congregational Christian Churches united in 1957. This union adopted an earlier general statement of unity between the two denominations, the 1943 "Basis of Union". At this time, the UCC claimed about two million members. In 1959, in its General Synod, the UCC adopted a broad "Statement of Faith". The UCC adopted its constitution and by-laws in 1961.

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Waiting for the other shoe to drop....
Namely how many UCC adherents are there now. Mainline denominations have been in retreat for decades. The UCC is the most liberal "mainline" denomination, so how bad are the numbers?
I'm not gloating. As a Higher Critic and anti-Calvinist I'm the ultimate apologist for Mainline Christianity. Except now Mainline has gone too liberal for even me. I'm ELCA, but looking for something more conservative.

Upvote 0

RevTellez

My Nephew Graduation 2013
Aug 17, 2015
Van Nuys, CA
✟7,614.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
At the end of 2012, there were 5,154 active congregations of the United Church of Christ with a total of 998,906 members. Churches and members were concentrated largely in the Midwestern / Northern states of Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin and the New England states of Connecticut and Massachusetts with 53% of membership in these six states alone

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you.
Do you happen to know whether any UCC "parishes" (er, "congregations", right?) in the Sacramento-Fairfield axis of the Central Valley in California happen to be enough less liberal that I might want to check them out? I do know that one in Sacramento is ministered by a lesbian, so presumably not that one. (Theoretically I would not object to a "non-practicing" lesbian if she is sufficiently Creedal and "neo-Biblical" for me. I just now invented that term to mean someone taking the Bible seriously, but non-Calvinist and in the light of Higher Criticism bracketing some of the Old Testament.)

Upvote 0