• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a Christian equivalent to a mitzvot school?

Discussion in 'Married Couples' started by Balia Pait, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM.

1. Balia Pait

Balia Pait New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Our daughter loves learning about the bible and loves Sunday school but her teacher,my husband and I are staying to think she may need something a little more advanced. The Sunday school at our church is great but the types of questions or daughter are asking go a little beyond what is taught about Jesus's parables.
    She seems to have a keen interest in the old testament.
    My husband who was raised Jewish (he us Christian now) suggested that maybe it would be a good idea to put her into mitzvot since the Torah is the old testament. He says that she would be with children her age and that those lessons are designed to teach those complex theological ideas to children in preparation for their Bar or Bat Mitzvahs at the age of 13. Does this idea merit some consideration? Ideally I would like to find a Christian equivalent but baring that would this be a good idea?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Ken Rank

Ken Rank Well-Known Member

+4,360
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Most Christians will say no, warning you about how that would be putting her (and you) under the law. Nonsense, there is no NT without the OT and context is NOT reading the verses before and after... it is familiarizing yourself with ANYTHING that influences what is being said. So, if the NT is about 1/3 OT directly quoted or inferred, then that effects context GREATLY. Thus, to truly understand the NT and the fullness of what Jesus did and will do for us all... we need to read the Scriptures that Paul would have had in mind when he said this:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." (2 Tim 3:16)

There was no NT when he said that, and he wrote that prior to 60 AD or thereabouts. Most of the NT hadn't even been written and it wouldn't be compiled for another 140 years. Paul was referencing the Torah, the Prophets and the Writings, the Tanach... or what we call the OT. So yes, it would be a good idea for your daughter, and you, and all of us... to learn the OT well. Balance it out with NT readings, but studying the foundation for messiah's work and all the prophecies that go with it, is imperative for us to fully understand who and what he really is.

IMHO :)

3. Balia Pait

Balia Pait New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So is there a Christian equivalent or is mitzvot the way to go? The Sunday school teacher says go for it as long as we are sure we can keep our daughter's heart on Jesus. This whole thing came up during a Sunday school lesson about witchcraft.
    When or daughter got home she said teacher taught them about witches and fortune tellers and read from I Samuel. She asked why would the witch of endor have the power to conjure up Samuel if Samuel was with God. Neither my husband nor myself really had a good answer so we would like to put our daughter into a place where she could learn these things which she clearly has an interest in learning.

4. Ken Rank

+4,360
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Not really (a Christian version).... that is a problem in the faith I believe. The Jews teach toward a bar or bat mitzvah, even the Catholics do studying toward confirmation (catechism/CCD) but the Protestants do not. The kids learn about the cross, and hit on some of the major OT stories, but don't dig into any depth nor really teach kids how to learn on their own. We SHOULD be teaching adults and children how to study, find time period sources, have a basic understanding of Greek and Hebrew or at least the ability to learn how to look words up properly, and more. We just don't have that in the protestant world.

5. Balia Pait

Balia Pait New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    In that case would Catholic confirmation study be better or worse than mitzvot?

6. Dave-W

Dave-W Grandparent of six grandchildren, #7 on the way! Supporter

+11,645
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I think you are talking about a yeshiva.

I would get ahold of the different Messianic organizations** to see what they have.

20 years ago here locally (northern suburbs of DC) there was Ets Chaim (Tree of Life) which was the first Messianic day school in the US. The congregation that ran it (Beth Messiah) pretty much collapsed and so did the school. So I do not know what is out there now.

Union of Messianic Congregations umjc.org
    Messianic Jewish Alliance of America mjaa.org
    Chosen People Ministries chosenpeople.com
    Association of Messianic Congregations messianicassociation.org
    Tikkun America tikkunamerica.org

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,480
    Anglican
    Married
    I appreciate your problem, but I cannot imagine how being in a Jewish school would not lead to confusion on the daughters part. Obviously, I would say, there would be more coming her way than just the overview of the Torah.

The other children and the teachers would naturally be working towards and talking about their futures as Jewish people, and it would be impossible that she would be taught about the God of the OT with the Trinitarian perspective that would be taught in a Christian school, for example.

8. Ken Rank

+4,360
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I would study the Torah. Why not? Jesus did... and by studying it and methodology, it isn't some denomination or group teaching their bias (we all have them), instead, it is a child learning how to find answers on her own. Isn't that what we want? We're not trying to clone ourselves, we are trying to equip our children with the ability to reasonably deal with issues as they go through life.

9. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,480
    Anglican
    Married
    Would it be possible for someone to enroll in a Catholic confirmation class who is not a Catholic and is not preparing for a Catholic confirmation?

10. Ken Rank

+4,360
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The problem is, the Christian world doesn't teach methodology.... unless you go to seminary and even then most of them now are just teaching their understanding of facts. We should be teaching our children how to find the facts on their own, otherwise, we are assuming everything we believe is 100% perfectly correct and we are filling their heads with our understanding.... we are cloning ourselves, theologically speaking.

11. Dave-W

Dave-W Grandparent of six grandchildren, #7 on the way! Supporter

+11,645
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Very true - which is why a yeshiva setting would be a better fit.

12. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,002
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I would suggest that you and your husband find a good Messianic Christian church. Many of them are led by Jewish rabbis that were raised Jewish.
    They see Jesus in the OT scriptures which a practicing Jew, in Judaism, will not.

The witch didn't have the power to conjure up Samuel, that is evident from her own shock. She was expecting her familiar spirit to appear. Familiar spirits merely attempt to copy cat, to deceive the inquirer, they have no knowledge of God's future actions. The witch knew that this wasn't her familiar spirit.
    In this extremely unusual case God sent Samuel, the prophet, to speak to Saul. To explain to Saul why God had turned against him and to tell him what would happen in the future.

13. Balia Pait

Balia Pait New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Here was the follow up question that made us think mitzvot may be a good idea. ...
    Samuel said that at the end of the day Saul will be with him. .. so does that mean Saul who lost the favor of God would get the same reward as Samuel who died righteous?

14. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,002
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, Saul and three of his sons were killed by the Philistines. One of them was Jonathan, friend of David who was faithful to God, he was a righteous man unlike his father Saul.
    Either Samuel meant that they would be dead as he was or that God in His mercy would save Saul. The Jewish view is that God was merciful to Saul, I'm inclined to take that view myself.

Your daughter and you need to realize that there are some things that no one can be absolutely sure of because the scriptures don't tell us plainly. That is why when you read the Talmud there are different views from different rabbis, they don't all agree on all things. It's OK to tell your daughter that we just don't know for sure about somethings.

Messianic rabbi would be able to help with the Jewish view while keeping Jesus always present in the OT.
    Was your husband raised in Judaism?

15. Balia Pait

Balia Pait New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes my husband was raised Jewish till the age of 11 when him and his family converted.
    Anyways there aren't really any messianic organizations here so we did enroll or daughter at the local synagogue's mitzvot and she went to her first session already and LOVES IT. The people there were so nice and they are just as happy to have her.
    I am curious about something that was brought up by some one else in this thread, why don't baptists do this? I know we have our Sunday school and all but how come our Sunday school curricula is not near as scholarly as the one the Jews and the catholics have for their children. The simple answer I always get from most people at church is that such young children aren't "ready" for it. Then how come Jewish children are "ready" for theirs?