Is There A Bible In Chronological Order?

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quick question.
I am not challenging any of the Books in the Bible. But I am wondering about the order in which they are presented.

I was thinking about this when reading Jeremiah today. I believe it was Chapter 26. Jeremiah is threatened with death. What saves him ... some of the elders quote verses from Micah. Clearly, they were aware of Micah's prophecies.

But in the Bible, Micah comes after Jeremiah.

It would be helpful if there was a Bible that is compiled in chronological order ... when God spoke to the people.

Any thoughts on this??

Blessings!!

• Winner
Reactions: drjean

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
https://ichthys.com/mail-Bible chrono.htm

Old Testament: (n.b., this is a "higher chronology" than you will find elsewhere = dates are earlier than in many liberal sources; numbers in bold represent the traditional English order):

1440 - 1400 B.C.

Genesis #1
Exodus #2
Leviticus #3
Numbers #4
Deuteronomy #5

1400 - 1000

Joshua #6
Judges #7

1000 - 586 B.C. (pre-exile - mid-exile)

Period of David and Solomon (ca. 1000 - 931):

Psalms #19
Ruth #8
1st Samuel #9
2nd Samuel #10
Job #18
Proverbs #20
Ecclesiastes #21
Song of Solomon #22

Period of Rehoboam to Hezekiah (931 - 686):

Isaiah #23
Hosea #28
Joel #29
Amos #30
Obadiah #31
Jonah #32
Micah #33

Period of Hezekiah to the exile (686 - 586):

Nahum #34
Habakkuk #35
Zephaniah #36

1st Kings #11
2nd Kings #12
1st Chronicles #13
2nd Chronicles #14

Jeremiah #24
Lamentations #25
Ezekiel #26
Daniel #27

516 - 400 B.C. (post-exilic)

Ezra #15
Nehemiah #16
Esther #17

Haggai #37
Zechariah #38
Malachi #39

New Testament
(n.b., this is a "higher chronology" than you will find elsewhere = dates are earlier; numbers in bold represent the traditional New Testament English order; parenthetical bold numbers are the traditional order in the Bible overall):

40 - 45. A.D.

Matthew: #1 (#40 )

45 - 50 A.D.

1st Thessalonians #13 (#52)
2nd Thessalonians #14 (#53)
1 Corinthians #7 (#46)
2 Corinthians #8 (#47)
Romans #6 (#45)
Luke #3 (#42)

50 - 55 A.D.

Galatians #9 (#48)
Ephesians #10 (#49)
Philippians #11 (#50)
Colossians #12 (#51)
Philemon #18 (#57)
Acts #5 (#44)

1st Timothy #15 (#54)
2nd Timothy #16 (#55)
Titus #17 (#56)
Hebrews #19 (#58)

55 - 60 A.D.

James #20 (#59)
Jude #26 (#65)

60 - 68 A.D.

1st Peter #21 (#60)
2nd Peter #22 (#61)
Mark #2 (#41)

John #4 (#43)
1st John #23 (#62)
2nd John #24 (#63)
3rd John #25 (#64)
Revelation #27 (#66)

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Quick question.
I am not challenging any of the Books in the Bible. But I am wondering about the order in which they are presented.

I was thinking about this when reading Jeremiah today. I believe it was Chapter 26. Jeremiah is threatened with death. What saves him ... some of the elders quote verses from Micah. Clearly, they were aware of Micah's prophecies.

It would be helpful if there was a Bible that is compiled in chronological order ... when God spoke to the people.

Any thoughts on this??

Blessings!!

The ordering of the books of the Christian bible varies from the Jewish bible but I honestly forget exactly how. None of them are in precise chronological order. Google Stone's Tanakh. That might help.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Quick question.

Any thoughts on this??

Blessings!!
Yes (example)

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if this is what the OP is asking for, but there are a few Bibles that present the text in chronological order. One is "The Narrated Bible" by F. LaGard Smith (editor). It's NIV. There is another one which is KJV, but I don't know its title or author/editor.

I highly recommend "The Narrated Bible" and have read it through many times.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
For the Christian Scriptures:

John Dominic Crossan has provided a detailed classification of our sources for the historical Jesus according to the chronological stratification of the traditions. For a brief discussion of each source, including the reasons for its proposed dating, see John Dominic Crossan, The Historical Jesus (HarperCollins, 1991) Appendix 1, pp. 427-50. All dates shown are C.E. (Common Era).

First Stratum [30 to 60 C.E.]

1. First Letter of Paul to the Thessalonians (late 40s)

2. Letter of Paul to the Galatians (winter of 52/53)

3. First Letter of Paul to the Corinthians (winter of 53/54.)

4. Letter of Paul to the Romans (winter of 55/56)

5. Gospel of Thomas I (earliest layer of Thomas, composed in 50s)

6. Egerton Gospel (50s)

7. P. Vienna G. 2325 (50s)

8. P. Oxyrhynchus 1224 (50s)

9. Gospel of the Hebrews (Egypt, 50s)

10. Sayings Gospel Q (50s)

11. Miracles Collection (50s)

12. Apocalyptic Scenario (50s)

13. Cross Gospel (50s)

Second Stratum [60 to 80 C.E.]

14. Gospel of the Egyptians (60s)

15. Secret Gospel of Mark (early 70s)

16. Gospel of Mark (late 70s)

17. P. Oxyrhynchus 840 (?80s)

18. Gospel of Thomas II (later layers, 70s)

19. Dialogue Collection (70s)

20. Signs Gospel, or Book of Signs (70s)

21. Letter to the Colossians (70s)

Third Stratum [80 to 120 C.E.]

22. Gospel of Matthew (90)

23. Gospel of Luke (90s)

24. Revelation/Apocalypse of John (late 90s)

25. First Letter of Clement (late 90s)

26. Epistle of Barnabas (end first century)

27. Didache (other than 1:3b2:1, 16:35) (end first century)

28. Shepherd of Hermas (100)

29. Letter of James (100)

30. Gospel of John I (early second century)

31. Letter of Ignatius, To the Ephesians (110)

32. Letter of Ignatius, To the Magnesians (110)

33. Letter of Ignatius, To the Trallians (110)

34. Letter of Ignatius, To the Romans (110)

35. Letter of Ignatius, To the Philadelphians (110)

36. Letter of Ignatius, To the Smyrneans (110)

37. Letter of Ignatius, To Polycarp (110)

38. First Letter of Peter (112)

39. Letter of Polycarp, To the Philippians, 1314 (115)

40. First Letter of John (115)

Fourth Stratum [120 to 150 C.E.]

41. Gospel of John II (after 120)

42. Acts of the Apostles (after 120)

43. Apocryphon of James (before 150)

44. First Letter to Timothy (after 120)

45. Second Letter to Timothy (after 120)

46. Letter to Titus (after 120)

47. Second Letter of Peter (between 125 and 150)

48. Letter of Polycarp to the Philippians, 112 (140)

49. Second Letter of Clement (150)

50. Gospel of the Nazoreans (middle second century)

51. Gospel of the Ebionites (middle second century)

52. Didache, 1:3b2:1 (middle second century)

53. Gospel of Peter (middle second century)

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Quick question.

Any thoughts on this??

Blessings!!

Do a search for 'chronological bible' on Ebay. They've got pre-owned ones there for as low as $4.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Quick question.

Any thoughts on this??

Blessings!!

There are different chronological Bibles, but this gets tricky quickly:

1) Do we list the books in the chronological order they were written or do we list the books chronologically in the order of their contents?

2) There are many cases where there is no clear answer about when certain books were written.

So let's imagine we are going to make a chronological Bible, and so our first book is going to be...well that's a good question. Genesis would seem to make the most sense, after all it opens up by talking about the creation. That said, Genesis wasn't the first book of the Bible that was written. Sure, some people believe that Moses wrote Genesis, but the general consensus among scholars is that Genesis is a redaction of earlier sources, and doesn't date until sometime around the time of the Exile. So if we are doing a chronology of contents rather than when the book was written, Genesis would come first. But then we run into another issue, what about Job? The story of Job supposedly takes place sometime vaguely in the era of the patriarchs, but Job definitely wasn't written that long ago, and in fact really probably shouldn't be taken as historical at all since it's not a work of history, but is categorized as wisdom literature (it's in the same genre as Proverbs, the Song of Songs, and Ecclesiastes). Do we place Job after Genesis because the story takes place before Moses? Or where do we place it at all since the the book isn't a work of history at all?

As I said, this all gets pretty complicated, because pretty much any attempt to make some sort of chronological Bible is going get something wrong or be wrong in some way.

As it stands, the books of the Christian Bible are categorized not by chronology, but rather by broad categories (Deuterocanonical books listed in square brackets):

The Books of the Law (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy)
The Books of the Histories (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, 1&2 Chronicles, Ezra-Nehemiah, [Tobit, Judith,] Esther, [1&2 Maccabees])
The Books of Wisdom (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, [Wisdom, Sirach])
The Major Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah with Lamentations [and Baruch], Ezekiel, Daniel)
The Minor Prophets (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi)

The Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John)
The Acts (Acts of the Apostles)
The Epistles of St. Paul (Romans, 1&2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1&2 Thessalonians, 1&2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews*)
The Catholic Epistles (Hebrews*, James, 1&2 Peter, 1,2&3 John, Jude)
The Apocalypse (The Apocalypse/Revelation of John)

*Hebrews has a turbulent history, it has on-again, off-again throughout history been attributed to Paul, as such it is sometimes counted as the 14th epistle of Paul, but is generally regarded as non-Pauline, thus making it part of the Catholic Epistles, rather than the Pauline Epistles)

It's also worth adding that the list above is not totally complete, I have generally kept the books as they are found in the Septuagint and most Christian Bibles, but have generally restricted the listed books to the Western Canon (Catholic and Protestant), there are slight differences in Eastern Biblical Canons, such as the acceptance of 3 Maccabees or the Epistle of Baruch.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks very much for the replies to my question. There are many excellent replies here. I am greatly encouraged.

Yes ... i will investigate both the chronological bible and the Narrated Bible.

BTW, I understand why Genesis could have issues. But i agree with its placement as Book #1. I was just taken aback when I discovered that Micah should be before Jeremiah. Sometimes when you are trying to look at the 'development' of the thoughts that God gives to Man, it is helpful to see them in chronological order.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The ordering of the books of the Christian bible varies from the Jewish bible but I honestly forget exactly how. None of them are in precise chronological order. Google Stone's Tanakh. That might help.

The Tanakh is organized into three sections, Torah, Nevi'im (Prophets), and Ketuvim (Writings). In fact Tanakh is an abbreviation, TaNaKh. The chief difference between the Tanakh and the Christian Old Testament is that the Old Testament is based on the Septuagint, whereas the Tanakh follows the three divisions of Scripture generally accepted within the rabbinic tradition of Judaism (i.e. Pharisaism).

Torah - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy

Prophets
- Major Prophets (Joshua, Judges, Samuel (1&2), Kings (1&2), Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel)
- Twelve Minor Prophets (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi)

Writings
- Poetic Books (Psalms, Proverbs, Job)
- The Five Scrolls (Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther)
- Other (Daniel, Ezra-Nehemiah, Chronicles (1&2))

The order somewhat, but not completely, also tends to demonstrate levels of importance. The Torah are the most important books of the Tanakh. The Prophets are second in importance to Torah. Of the Writings there were disputes in ancient Judaism, the Psalms and Proverbs for example were never disputed, but books like Daniel and the Song of Songs were regarded at least occasionally with suspicion.

This three-fold division was fairly well established by Jesus' time, we can even see it in the New Testament when it mentions "The Law, the Prophets, and the Psalms". But the Jewish Canon was not yet established, and wouldn't be until after both the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD and the Bar Kochba revolt around 135 AD, with Jerusalem and the Temple gone, the Jews expelled, the center of Jewish learning and religion moved east from Judea to Persia, and a strengthening of Jewish identity under the rabbinical sages, the writing down of the Mishna and Gemara to produce the Babylonian Talmud, and within this context a consensus on the Jewish Canon of the Bible.

As such the Jewish Canon and the Christian Canon were developing at the same time, largely independent of one another.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes when you are trying to look at the 'development' of the thoughts that God gives to Man, it is helpful to see them in chronological order.
That's certainly true with me. Reading the Bible in order also helps me to remember it better because it reads like a story. (And what's neat about the Narrated Bible is that passages are interspersed where they "belong". So, for example, you might be reading about King David and all of a sudden you'll come to a Psalm that he wrote for that particular situation that he's currently going through.)

Good luck as you get deeper into the Word.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Micah come after Jeremiah because the major prophets were selected to come first due to their size. Chronology had nothing to do with it. Historic narratives do come in order but prophetic, poetic and epistles were organized another way. Micah was an eighth century prophet, Jeremiah was around as the predicted judgment was unleashed on Judea.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Quick question.

Any thoughts on this??

Blessings!!

Psalms aswell not in order , would be really hard because most are prophetic , to fit them in order with other events .

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Quick question.

Any thoughts on this??

Blessings!!
There are many differing opinions on Bible chronology, and it may depend on what kind of chronology you want. Book order is mainly the one presented, as it seems to be the easiest. Another possible order, which you will hardly find, is order of writings. IOW, some books are overlapping chronologically, such as 2 Sam with 1 Chron, and 1/2 Kings with 1/2 Chron, and some epistles with Acts, etc. There is another book that combines the 4 gospels and puts the verses in chronological order. There are problems with all of them, since they fundamentally include assumptions about chronology based on the editors' opinions.

Another order would be order of events. For example, the Reese Chronological Bible attempts to do this. However, sometimes he arbitrarily mixes order of events with order of writing, and he puts Job before Genesis, which I don't agree with. What is good about Reese is that the history of Israel is in order, and he splits the North and South nations with their corresponding history, and that makes the reading of the history much easier. I have yet to find a chronological account of the writings themselves which is agreed to by most respected Bible scholars. I think the reason is that the chronology of when the books were written has been generally lost, and all we have is evidence in the texts and style of writing, and many of these are still debated.

The reason why Micah comes after Jeremiah is because Micah is part of the book of the "Minor Prophets", that is, the shorter books of prophecy. Isaiah - Daniel are called Major Prophets because of the size of the books. The only reason Lamentations is in this group is because the author was Jeremiah, and there are scrolls that contain both Jeremiah and Lamentations. The 12 "minor prophets" books ended up in a single scroll called "The Book of the Twelve." This is how we get Hosea - Malachi; it follows the order in that scroll.

Also, Psalms is a compilation of songs written over hundreds of years, and the scroll of the ones we have in our Bible was completed in the post-exilic era (during the 400 years after the Babylonian exile and before Christ). It is also very mixed chronologically.
TD:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarleneJ

Aug 16, 2016
British Columbia
✟18,935.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Rather than getting a new Bible, you may just want to access some chronological reading plans. I did that for a few years, and it was excellent. The only drawback, is sometimes you have to go to quite a few places. For instance, in the Synoptic gospels, they often say the same thing. So, you may have to turn to three or even four places, if John also says the same thing.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/chronological.html

https://www.rolcc.net/engministry/images/chronological_bible reading_plan.pdf

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...f0d64e/1467323167459/RBL+Chron+Start+Here.pdf

I used the last one, when I was doing the chronological plan, because that is what our pastor was using, and the whole church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums