Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The reason I ask is because whenever I converse with USA Anglos they seem hell bent on tutoring me concerning the unique freedoms which are part of the USA. It appears that they feel that the USA is the Paragon of freedom in the world. Is that really so? I mean, after all, there are other democracies on all continents. Is indeed the USA democracy superior to all these so that people perceived to be from another part of the world needs to be lectured on the virtues of USA democracy in order to enlighten the on just how unique the USA is among the world community?

I mean, granted. The freedom of speech which is typically mentioned is true. But it isn't unique to the USA.'
The constant boasting can't be based on history since human rights violations run as a very prominent theme in USA history books. One might even get the impression that most of USA history consisted of human rights violations with USA democracy's approval. So why the boasting?

Why the assumption that a person tagged as an immigrants here because he lacks FREEDOMS from the country of origin. After all, many persons are in the USA not as politically persecuted refuges but simply because of economic reasons which have nothing to do with freedoms of speech other democratic liberties.

Is this politically chauvinistic perspective taught in USA public schools as a way to engender a patriotic appreciation in the lower socio economic stratum of society whose pride in living in the USA will somehow compensate for their otherwise miserable existence?

What ever the case might be it comes across as grossly ignorant and boorish.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The USA is the country with the highest number of imprisoned individuals per capita.

Yeah right, freedom.
Please keep in mind that the imprisonment of some individuals is necessary in order to preserve the basic freedoms or rights of the rest. Such individuals would deprive others of their right to property via theft or to life via murder. So they are imprisoned for the safety of society and conservation of basic freedoms. The alternative would be anarchy in which the strong enslave and oppress the weak.

Upvote 0

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟29,536.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Please keep in mind that the imprisonment of some individuals is necessary in order to preserve the basic freedoms or rights of the rest. Such individuals would deprive others of their right to property via theft or to life via murder. So they are imprisoned for the safety of society and conservation of basic freedoms. The alternative would be anarchy in which the strong enslave and oppress the weak.
Some individuals, yes. But as high a number as that country has? If that is necessary then why aren't the European Democratic countries descending into anarchy?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,924.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The majority of prisoners in the USA (nearly half of them) are imprisoned for drug related offenses. That's the reason you have such a huge prison population, your war on drugs.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It depends what kind of freedom you're talking about. The freedom to do what? Some people say freedom is a free market: unchecked capitalism. Others say it's a meritocracy with a high level of social mobility. Still others would say that they just want to own a piece of land, own the house on it, and be left to their devices.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The majority of prisoners in the USA (nearly half of them) are imprisoned for drug related offenses. That's the reason you have such a huge prison population, your war on drugs.
Really? Drug related could involve murder, assault, or any other crime which is related to drug trafficking-right?

The statistical sleight of hand that makes the U.S. crime rate seem lower than it really is.
By Josh Voorhees
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...crime_rate_is_falling_partly_because_the.html

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,924.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some individuals, yes. But as high a number as that country has? If that is necessary then why aren't the European Democratic countries descending into anarchy?
Descent into anarchy has a threshold beyond which descent into anarchy occurs when laws are lax and the elements of civil order disruption predominate to the extent of tilting the nation into lawless anarchy.

No self-respecting nation would allow such a social condition to develop under normal conditions. However, some are farther and some closer to that crucial threshold depending on the efficiency of their law-enforcement policies which are design to keep that anarchy stage at bay.

BTW
Even within such societies which might be exemplary in law enforcement the threshold of total anarchy varies with geographical location and socio-economic status.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, drug-related means either consuming or trading the drugs.

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

The reason I mention murder and other violence is because these things are notoriously involved in drug trafficking as can be seen in the Mexican Drug cartels and the incessant violence between drug trafficking organizations who use violence in order to protect what they call their turf. Do you have a statistical source that you can please refer me to in order to verify that Incarceration of people in the USA is predominantly due to selling and buying illegal drugs? That would remove the claim from just being an opinion. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It depends what kind of freedom you're talking about. The freedom to do what? Some people say freedom is a free market: unchecked capitalism. Others say it's a meritocracy with a high level of social mobility. Still others would say that they just want to own a piece of land, own the house on it, and be left to their devices.
Well, the freedom I am immediately, gratuitously and pompously lectured and tutored on by USA Anglos whenever the subject of freedom arises in any discussion unrelated to freedom in the USA in which I might be merely present or perhaps slightly involved, is freedom of speech and freedom to generally attain one's goals in life within the USA. Just recently I was lectured on it during a Bible study at a Catholic Church where the subject was freedom attained via Christ 'Ransom Sacrifice and after I had explained the meaning of freedom one attains via that Ransom Sacrifice,. Although immediately perceived the discrepancy I refrained from pointing out the absurdity of brining that up from left field because I had not gone there to debate politics. But since it is a common occurrence involving USA Anglos I ask the question on this thread since the constant and prideful harping on it by USA Anglos has piqued my curiosity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,924.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The reason I mention murder and other violence is because these things are notoriously involved in drug trafficking as can be seen in the Mexican Drug cartels and the incessant violence between drug trafficking organizations who use violence in order to protect what they call their turf. Do you have a statistical source that you can please refer me to in order to verify that Incarceration of people in the USA is predominantly due to selling and buying illegal drugs? That would remove the claim from just being an opinion. Thanks!
...I just linked that source. You even quoted it. It's from the BOP.

What more do you want?

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the
...I just linked that source. You even quoted it. It's from the BOP.

What more do you want?
I quoted your source where it provides the stats? Sorry. Then I either misread or missed something. I will go back and checked what I missed. Not trying to be difficult.

OK! Got it! My apologies. I should have immediately gone to your link. Thanks.

BTW
The control of this illegal activity is instituted to reduce the effects that drug usage has on the user and therefore on society in general. Drug usage lowers inhibitions and often leads to crimes that would not have been committed had the person been sober. So it also contributes in keeping the anarchy threshold at a respectable distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,924.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I quoted your source where it provides the stats? Sorry. Then I either misread or missed something. I will go back and checked what I missed. Not trying to be difficult.

OK! Got it! My apologies. I should have immediately gone to your link. Thanks.
You're welcome.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because they do enough law enforcement to keep anarchy at bay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟29,536.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why excessive? Criminal behavior has to be controlled and the level of control is dictated by the level of criminal behavior.
And why does that particular country have such a high crime rate, compared to other Western democracies? Perhaps the way criminals are treated breeds more criminals? Rehabilitation seems to work better than punishment.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,924.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Because they do enough law enforcement to keep anarchy at bay.
What's so anarchic about someone smoking weed (which is currently getting legalised all over the USA), and why does it need to be kept at bay.

Why does anarchy have to be kept at bay, anyway? Are you scared that people start to eat each other the second they don't have a gun pointed at them? Do you have such a dire view of humanity?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What's so anarchic about someone smoking weed (which is currently getting legalised all over the USA), and why does it need to be kept at bay.

Why does anarchy have to be kept at bay, anyway? Are you scared that people start to eat each other the second they don't have a gun pointed at them? Do you have such a dire view of humanity?

No, my response isn't based on the irrational emotions or negative opinions concerning all mankind that you list. Actually, my response in general is based on my study of Social Science which teaches that the human race needs to keep anarchy at bay as part of enhancing survival potential via law enforcement.

Am I afraid of being eaten in the USA? No, what more often happens is getting mugged and murdered as my uncle was for a miserable sum of fifteen dollars, getting physically attacked on the street or on a public vehicle, as I was on a public Miami Florida bus because of my perceived race and ethnicity, or, as is becoming increasingly popular today, getting sucker-punched in the knock-out game by young USA men of lower socio economic persuasion who are politically-correctly described as being bored and therefore simply seeking excitement. That does concern me. But getting eaten? Never crossed my mind.

Upvote 0