Is the Tree of Life necessary for Eternal Life?

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil." Genesis 2:9 King James Version (KJV)

Is the tree of life what allows man the gift eternal life, and what Adam and Eve lost at the Garden of Eden?

"26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." Genesis 1:26 King James Version (KJV)

Man was made in the image of the Godhead but was not made immortal, but given a avenue, in which man could "take also of the tree of life, and eat and live for ever."

"22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" Genesis 3:22 King James Version (KJV)

Adam and Eve were mortal but had access to the tree of life. When Adam sinned, he and Eve were barred from the Garden of Eden and the tree of life. From that moment on they began to feel the wages of sin:

"27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27 King James Version (KJV)

Through Christ, the saint have been restored to what Adam had and given access to the gift of eternal life:

"14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14 King James Version (KJV)

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a difference between living forever and eternal life.

Living forever has a definite start point and goes on without end. Eternal life has no start point.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil." Genesis 2:9 King James Version (KJV)

Is the tree of life what allows man the gift eternal life, and what Adam and Eve lost at the Garden of Eden?

"26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." Genesis 1:26 King James Version (KJV)

Man was made in the image of the Godhead but was not made immortal, but given a avenue, in which man could "take also of the tree of life, and eat and live for ever."

"22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" Genesis 3:22 King James Version (KJV)

Adam and Eve were mortal but had access to the tree of life. When Adam sinned, he and Eve were barred from the Garden of Eden and the tree of life. From that moment on they began to feel the wages of sin:

"27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27 King James Version (KJV)

Through Christ, the saint have been restored to what Adam had and given access to the gift of eternal life:

"14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14 King James Version (KJV)

I think that since all of us will be eating from the tree of life that eating from it isn't really necessary for eternal life. Why? Because Jesus himself promised eternal life to all who would believe in him. In other words it is Jesus who resurrects us from the dead and provides us with new bodies capable of living forever. Not the tree of life. It would be kind of lame if we have to eat from a tree to live forever and ever. Thats also like saying that God cannot do it on his own when God can do anything. No God promised that all who believe in him will never see death so that means that we will live in the spirit after we die and when we are given our perfect bodies THEN we will live forever. Notice it doesn't say that we will be eating from the tree of life during the melinium. It says we will AFTER the 1,000 years are over. If we need the tree of life to live forever than what's keeping us alive for the 1,000 years?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Living forever has a definite start point and goes on without end. Eternal life has no start point.

Where do you find any definition for the phrase "eternal life" that requires that there be no start of it??

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Is the Tree of Life necessary for Eternal Life? YES!

2 Tree(s) of Life & Some other things to ponder about

Two different types of trees of life. And there will be two on the new earth.

Currently while we are here on earth.

By accepting Christ we partake of the tree of life through His Holy Word (Holy Bible), through His Holy Spirit and by accepting Him as our Lord and Savior (i.e. saved). All Spiritual food while we are here on earth.

Just as when Jesus said He is the bread of life. (spiritual food)

John 6

35 Jesus answered, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never hunger, and whoever believes in Me will never thirst.
In heaven and the new earth.

Also, Romans 11 talks about all being grafted into a tree ... and that tree is Christ.

Gods eternal church in (all the saved) (at first in heaven and then later on the new earth when He moves the kingdom there) The tree(s) of life in the kingdom.

Revelation 2 (spiritual food)

7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches (*the whole body of Christian believers). To the one who is victorious, I will grant the right to eat from the tree of life in the paradise of God.

* Represents the eternal church (all the saved) and God’s authority. Jesus had 12 disciples, and there were 12 tribes of Israel. In Revelation 12:1, the 24 elders and 144,000 are multiples of 12. The New Jerusalem city has 12 foundations, 12 gates 12 thousand furlongs, a tree with 12 kinds of fruit 12 times a year eaten by 12 times 12,000 or the 144,000. (See Revelation 21.)

Other interesting things.

We will have physical bodies.

2nd Corinthians 5

3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies

There will Sabbath(s) kept

Isaiah 66:23

23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come to worship before Me,” says the LORD.

There will be at least a monthly Sabbath to eat real food (from the tree of life) and receive spiritual food (Christ tree of life) - and to worship our creator.

Revelation 22:2

2 ... down the middle of the main street of the city. On either side of the river stood a tree of life, producing twelve kinds of fruit and yielding a fresh crop for each month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.
3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be within the city, and His servants will worship Him.

Ezekiel 47

12 And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither, nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing.”

We will build our own houses & have vineyards on the new earth.

Isaiah 21

21 They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit. 22 No longer will they build houses for others to inhabit, nor plant for others to eat. For as is the lifetime of a tree, so will be the days of My people, and My chosen ones will fully enjoy the work of their hands.

Just some things I ponder about ;o)

Looking forward to a wonderful life with the Lord. Amen!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So you would separate it as just eating of the tree which kept you alive?

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is the Tree of Life necessary for Eternal Life? YES!

2 Tree(s) of Life & Some other things to ponder about

Two different types of trees of life. And there will be two on the new earth.

Currently while we are here on earth.

By accepting Christ we partake of the tree of life through His Holy Word (Holy Bible), through His Holy Spirit and by accepting Him as our Lord and Savior (i.e. saved). All Spiritual food while we are here on earth.

Just as when Jesus said He is the bread of life. (spiritual food)

John 6

35 Jesus answered, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never hunger, and whoever believes in Me will never thirst.
In heaven and the new earth.

Also, Romans 11 talks about all being grafted into a tree ... and that tree is Christ.

Gods eternal church in (all the saved) (at first in heaven and then later on the new earth when He moves the kingdom there) The tree(s) of life in the kingdom.

Revelation 2 (spiritual food)

7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches (*the whole body of Christian believers). To the one who is victorious, I will grant the right to eat from the tree of life in the paradise of God.

* Represents the eternal church (all the saved) and God’s authority. Jesus had 12 disciples, and there were 12 tribes of Israel. In Revelation 12:1, the 24 elders and 144,000 are multiples of 12. The New Jerusalem city has 12 foundations, 12 gates 12 thousand furlongs, a tree with 12 kinds of fruit 12 times a year eaten by 12 times 12,000 or the 144,000. (See Revelation 21.)

Other interesting things.

We will have physical bodies.

2nd Corinthians 5

3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies

There will Sabbath(s) kept

Isaiah 66:23

23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come to worship before Me,” says the LORD.

There will be at least a monthly Sabbath to eat real food (from the tree of life) and receive spiritual food (Christ tree of life) - and to worship our creator.

Revelation 22:2

2 ... down the middle of the main street of the city. On either side of the river stood a tree of life, producing twelve kinds of fruit and yielding a fresh crop for each month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.
3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be within the city, and His servants will worship Him.

Ezekiel 47

12 And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither, nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing.”

We will build our own houses & have vineyards on the new earth.

Isaiah 21

21 They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit. 22 No longer will they build houses for others to inhabit, nor plant for others to eat. For as is the lifetime of a tree, so will be the days of My people, and My chosen ones will fully enjoy the work of their hands.

Just some things I ponder about ;o)

Looking forward to a wonderful life with the Lord. Amen!
These seems more correct, let me research more.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you would separate it as just eating of the tree which kept you alive?
Yes. Had Adam & Eve eaten of that tree, they would have lived forever in their sinful state.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes. Had Adam & Eve eaten of that tree, they would have lived forever in their sinful state.
If they continuously ate from the tree, now we have to understand how it gave life and what caused the tree to be taken away. From what I found it gave them life and we see it in Christ:

John 6:51
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

So with respect to the tree of life, we have access to it now as those who receive into their heart the words of Christ knows what it means to eat the leaves of the tree of life The true tree of life, Jesus Christ, will heal us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums