Is the title of "royal priesthood" in 1 Peter 2:9 an honorary title or is it an actual title?

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR [God’s] OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; (1 Peter 2:9)

I can't seem to find anyone with a satisfactory answer. It is meant for all believers in Jesus Christ, given by God. But how can women be priests?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR [God’s] OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; (1 Peter 2:9)

I can't seem to find anyone with a satisfactory answer. It is meant for all believers in Jesus Christ, given by God. But how can women be priests?
I'd say it's not a title. (perhaps description?) unless 'disciple' is a title too... ?
I'd also say men and women cannot be priests, when they don't want to be and are not set apart (holy).

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'd say it's not a title. (perhaps description?) unless 'disciple' is a title too... ?
I'd also say men and women cannot be priests, when they don't want to be and are not set apart (holy).
But we are 'set apart', chosen by God, as a peculiar people. As New Creations in the Spirit, we are in the process of "becoming" holy.

i'm beginning to think its not a title, but a description. Everyone keeps telling me that women cannot hold the position of priest according to the bible, despite this verse. So it must mean something else. What?

Upvote 0