I respect the Bible but religion is damaging
Jun 29, 2016
Plymouth, UK
✟24,208.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
“1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: ….. 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.” (John 17:1 and 5, KJV).

At John 17:5 we read; “the glory which I had with you before the world was.” We understand here that the Son had glory together with his Father, (Greek para alongside) or literally ‘By the side of thyself.’ And was even loved by the Father (in eternity past), before the world’s creation. Notice that the context for this passage in verse 1, is the word “Son,” of whom we read; “Father the hour has come glorify your Son.” So God the Father had glory with the Son before the creation of the world. The context for this passage is a dialogue between the very literal Son and his very literal Father. Jesus then prays for full restoration to the pre-incarnate glory and fellowship (Re John 1:1), which he enjoyed before the Incarnation (John 1:14) and he uses the imperative, which is a command in Greek to address his Father: ‘O Father glorify me.’ It’s difficult to explain how the Son can command the Father as a mere man who is not God!

This is not just an ideal pre-existence in the Father’s mind. But an actual, real and conscious existence at the Father’s side ‘para soi’ (with thee). ‘Which I had’ (heôi eichon) the imperfect active of echoô, I used to have, with attraction of case of heôn to heôi because of doxeôi). "Before the world was" (pro tou ton kosmon einai).” (This is a quote from: A.T. Robertsons’ Word Pictures of the New Testament taken from John 17).

The fact that the Son possesses this divine glory, is yet a further proof of his deity. For God (YHWH) says in the Old Testament that “My glory I will not give his glory to another” Isaiah 42:8. The obvious conclusion from these verses is that the Son is himself fully and cpompletely Yahweh God. The standard Oneness reply would be to claim that “Jesus’” glory is here being spoken of. This Jesus however is not the “Son of God,” who alone is the true Jesus of the Bible (2nd John 3). But the Jesus of Oneness Pentecostalism, who can, and sometimes does, exist as Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Essentially Oneness people will usually claim that (in their words), “Jesus the Father” had glory all alone with himself before the world was.

A second interpretation would be to claim that the Son did indeed possess this divine glory, even though he did not actually exist at that moment in time. This is because (this glory), was planned to be given to him as an act of God’s foreknowledge, just as the Son then existed, only in God’s mind in his foreknowledge. The main problem with this second explanation is that you can’t possess something if you don’t even yet exist yourself. For at Romans 8:29 God’s elect (the saved), are also said to have been foreknown, in God’s mind.

Apostolics might claim that the Son is indeed God, but only because he was foreknown in God’s mind before his actual creation at Bethlehem. The trouble with this claim is that it makes the Son a created being, who is foreknown just as we human beings also are in God’s mind. But this is not the Biblical account of the eternal Son of God, who exists before the creation (Hebrews 1:2), and is himself unchanging (Hebrews 13:8) and eternal (1st John 1:2). Furthermore the Son is addressed by masculine pronouns “he,” and masculine personal pronouns “him,” before his birth (John 1:2-3), and so he is not described as some mere thought existing in God’s mind would be; that is as an impersonal “it.”

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Or.... could he be BOTH?

John the Baptist was an individual who lived to be about thirty years of age or so.

Elijah the Prophet was an individual who lived out his life and then was taken up into heaven by a chariot.

Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus lived to be thirty three years of age or so.....

I believe that the member of the Elohim known as the Logos /Word so closely manifested through Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus that...... if Messiah Yeshua - Jesus meets with somebody like Howard Storm during a near death experience......
the statements of Baruch 6:6 are being fulfilled........

the G-d of Abraham is assisting people to "give an account of the souls" through the glorified Messiah Yeshua - Jesus.

Little Colton Burpo met with King David, and Samson and John the Baptist in heaven......
could Colton have met with Elijah if he had been taught more about him by three years of age?

i think so.

So..... in heaven..... these humans these individuals are all there.... and can be met by friends, family and students ........

This is a huge topic... I shall try to dig up some more information on this......

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, Prophecy Of Baruch Chapter 6

"[6] For my angel is with you: And I myself will demand an account of your souls."

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: ….. 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.” (John 17:1 and 5, KJV).

At John 17:5 we read; “the glory which I had with you before the world was.” We understand here that the Son had glory together with his Father, (Greek para alongside) or literally ‘By the side of thyself.’ And was even loved by the Father (in eternity past), before the world’s creation. Notice that the context for this passage in verse 1, is the word “Son,” of whom we read; “Father the hour has come glorify your Son.” So God the Father had glory with the Son before the creation of the world. The context for this passage is a dialogue between the very literal Son and his very literal Father. Jesus then prays for full restoration to the pre-incarnate glory and fellowship (Re John 1:1), which he enjoyed before the Incarnation (John 1:14) and he uses the imperative, which is a command in Greek to address his Father: ‘O Father glorify me.’ It’s difficult to explain how the Son can command the Father as a mere man who is not God!

This is not just an ideal pre-existence in the Father’s mind. But an actual, real and conscious existence at the Father’s side ‘para soi’ (with thee). ‘Which I had’ (heôi eichon) the imperfect active of echoô, I used to have, with attraction of case of heôn to heôi because of doxeôi). "Before the world was" (pro tou ton kosmon einai).” (This is a quote from: A.T. Robertsons’ Word Pictures of the New Testament taken from John 17).

The fact that the Son possesses this divine glory, is yet a further proof of his deity. For God (YHWH) says in the Old Testament that “My glory I will not give his glory to another” Isaiah 42:8. The obvious conclusion from these verses is that the Son is himself fully and cpompletely Yahweh God. The standard Oneness reply would be to claim that “Jesus’” glory is here being spoken of. This Jesus however is not the “Son of God,” who alone is the true Jesus of the Bible (2nd John 3). But the Jesus of Oneness Pentecostalism, who can, and sometimes does, exist as Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Essentially Oneness people will usually claim that (in their words), “Jesus the Father” had glory all alone with himself before the world was.

A second interpretation would be to claim that the Son did indeed possess this divine glory, even though he did not actually exist at that moment in time. This is because (this glory), was planned to be given to him as an act of God’s foreknowledge, just as the Son then existed, only in God’s mind in his foreknowledge. The main problem with this second explanation is that you can’t possess something if you don’t even yet exist yourself. For at Romans 8:29 God’s elect (the saved), are also said to have been foreknown, in God’s mind.

Apostolics might claim that the Son is indeed God, but only because he was foreknown in God’s mind before his actual creation at Bethlehem. The trouble with this claim is that it makes the Son a created being, who is foreknown just as we human beings also are in God’s mind. But this is not the Biblical account of the eternal Son of God, who exists before the creation (Hebrews 1:2), and is himself unchanging (Hebrews 13:8) and eternal (1st John 1:2). Furthermore the Son is addressed by masculine pronouns “he,” and masculine personal pronouns “him,” before his birth (John 1:2-3), and so he is not described as some mere thought existing in God’s mind would be; that is as an impersonal “it.”

What was your question?

Upvote 0

robert skynner

Jun 29, 2016
Plymouth, UK
✟24,208.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
What was your question?

John 17:1 the context is God the Father and the Son of God, this context still remains at verse 5 where the Son of God says of God the Father: "the glory I had with you before the world was" thereby proving that the Son is eternal, which all modalists (Oneness Apostolics) deny.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 17:1 the context is God the Father and the Son of God, this context still remains at verse 5 where the Son of God says of God the Father: "the glory I had with you before the world was" thereby proving that the Son is eternal, which all modalists (Oneness Apostolics) deny.

What was your question?

:preach:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God exists outside of and is not affected by time as humans are.
"Eternal" is as close to that idea as humans can imagine.

Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Apostolics might claim that the Son is indeed God, but only because he was foreknown in God’s mind before his actual creation at Bethlehem. The trouble with this claim is that it makes the Son a created being, who is foreknown just as we human beings also are in God’s mind.
I am from Australia, so my terminology is different to your American speaking.
I have been a born again Pentecostal Christian for 20 years now. We talk of Pentecost and the FULL gospel of salvation.
Apostolic is not really a term we use here downunder to refer to Pentecostal churches. But I have learned to use it more when blogging in various U.S. Christian forums.

I have only just recently discovered the doctrine of 'Oneness' - God existing in modules that can express themselves in different
ways as need requires in our universe. Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I think it is another peculiarity of American Christian life as generally [apart from a small oneness pentecostal church in Australia] Trinitarian models of God are the dominant and accepted doctrines of who God the Father and who Jesus is - God the Son.
I think the original Apostles and Nicene Creeds speak to this quite well.

I used to blog on an Apostolic / Pentecostal Forum and was savagely attacked by Oneness fanatics who tried to convince me that Oneness was actually a salvation issue. And yet the more they explained it to me, the more I was troubled in reconciling their proof with the scriptures about Jesus pre-existing, and Jesus being the LORD of the Old Testament, and what Jesus claimed about himself - especially as he who came down from Heaven.
I believe that Jesus is the first born of all creation - the alpha and omega - the beginning and the end.
Oneness shares some funny suss ideas that has more in common with Mormonism and their view of how a born man became a God.

Upvote 0

Waggles

Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
I remember in one of the voice gifts operated by our Church in our formal assembly meetings - a prophecy given by the Holy Spirit to us- actually I felt it was more of a personal message for my edification given my onslaught by the Oneness is salvation mob that had beset me.
Anyway the message was about how we had Jesus who is our God and Saviour previously in the world, and now by the indwelling Holy Spirit. Jesus in us, and us in Jesus. Connected. Interactive. And we are to learn from Jesus by reading his Word and by walking in the Spirit.

The prophecy went on to say that as yet our Father God was not yet in this universe, our world of space and time but when He did interact with us the Holy Spirit was His operative power working in this physical dimension.

So Jesus as God left His heavenly glory to come into this physical world to become flesh and to bring about atonement for the sinsof the world, and then to establish His Spirit-filled Church on Earth. From this comes Christianity in its myriad forms.
The Word is God is printed and collated and humankind now also has the Bible to read and live to.

But God the Father is not in this world as Jesus was. Hence he works through spiritual power, the miraculous, to interact and bring about His purpose from Creation to salvation. The Father and Jesus are partners working together in the creation and a plan for salvation put into place before the world was made.
There are mysteries here that we cannot fathom until we are converted and become like angels with our Lord Jesus.
When we enter the eternity with Jesus then we will know more about all of this.

But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth:
for the Father seeks such to worship him.
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
John 4:23-24

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Waggles

Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Here is another little verse tucked away in a chapter that I find very interesting...

For through him [Jesus] we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
Ephesians 2:18
2:18 For through him, both of us have access to the Father by one Spirit.
ISV

Upvote 0

robert skynner

Jun 29, 2016
Plymouth, UK
✟24,208.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I am from Australia, so my terminology is different to your American speaking.
I have been a born again Pentecostal Christian for 20 years now. We talk of Pentecost and the FULL gospel of salvation.
Apostolic is not really a term we use here downunder to refer to Pentecostal churches. But I have learned to use it more when blogging in various U.S. Christian forums.

I have only just recently discovered the doctrine of 'Oneness' - God existing in modules that can express themselves in different
ways as need requires in our universe. Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I think it is another peculiarity of American Christian life as generally [apart from a small oneness pentecostal church in Australia] Trinitarian models of God are the dominant and accepted doctrines of who God the Father and who Jesus is - God the Son.
I think the original Apostles and Nicene Creeds speak to this quite well.

I used to blog on an Apostolic / Pentecostal Forum and was savagely attacked by Oneness fanatics who tried to convince me that Oneness was actually a salvation issue. And yet the more they explained it to me, the more I was troubled in reconciling their proof with the scriptures about Jesus pre-existing, and Jesus being the LORD of the Old Testament, and what Jesus claimed about himself - especially as he who came down from Heaven.
I believe that Jesus is the first born of all creation - the alpha and omega - the beginning and the end.
Oneness shares some funny suss ideas that has more in common with Mormonism and their view of how a born man became a God.

I am neither an American nor an Evangelical Christian, I'm a British humanist. Your post is full of undefined jargon, so much so that without defining what you mean by your jargon such as "full gospel" and "God existing in modules" oh and "first-born from the dead" (does that mean preeminent in which case I'd agree with you, or are you using that to mean created first of all, in which case I would not agree with you) etc, so discussion would be simply me not understanding this jargon of yours. As for the Trinity, here in the UK many evangelicals pay lip service to the doctrine of the Trinity, however, very few Christians understand the Trinity or the New Covenant, I'd say that most people make up their theology on the hoof with little thought.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am neither an American nor an Evangelical Christian, I'm a British humanist. Your post is full of undefined jargon, so much so that without defining what you mean by your jargon such as "full gospel" and "God existing in modules" oh and "first-born from the dead" (does that mean preeminent in which case I'd agree with you, or are you using that to mean created first of all, in which case I would not agree with you) etc, so discussion would be simply me not understanding this jargon of yours. As for the Trinity, here in the UK many evangelicals pay lip service to the doctrine of the Trinity, however, very few Christians understand the Trinity or the New Covenant, I'd say that most people make up their theology on the hoof with little thought.

Becasue of the nature of the Trinity, there is nothing to compare it to.
This is why it is indescribable.

Upvote 0

robert skynner

Jun 29, 2016
Plymouth, UK
✟24,208.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Becasue of the nature of the Trinity, there is nothing to compare it to.
This is why it is indescribable.

If it is indescribible, then why was it defined in the ancient creeds such as the Athanasian Creed and in doctrinal statements of faith such as the Westminster Confession?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Considering that the majority of Christians are Trinitarians and there are only a handful of "Apostolics," it's likely that the former have a much sounder argument than the latter. :) As for the comprehension factor you mentioned, the triune nature of God cannot really be understood. As with other characteristics of God, we believe them because the word of God has verified them, but that's not to say any of us understands how such things work while we are still in this life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it is indescribible, then why was it defined in the ancient creeds such as the Athanasian Creed and in doctrinal statements of faith such as the Westminster Confession?

It hardly says anything at all. If the Trinity was walking in a row, it would describe which was in front.

III. In the unity of the Godhead there be three Persons of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.[38] The Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; [39] the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son. [40]

The other creed only makes one general statement:
So too there are not three uncreated or immeasurable beings;
there is but one uncreated and immeasurable being.

Out side of this one sentence, the rest is details about the seperate entities..that we can read in various books in scripture.

Only this one sentence describes the Trinity as a group.
And it is clear that it is immeasurable...or un-comparable to anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the majority of Christians are Trinitarians and there are only a handful of "Apostolics," it's likely that the former have a much sounder argument than the latter. :) As for the comprehension factor you mentioned, the triune nature of God cannot really be understood. As with other characteristics of God, we believe them because the word of God has verified them, but that's not to say any of us understands how such things work while we are still in this life.
What is an apostolic position?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What is an apostolic position?
I take it that the word is being used in this thread to refer to those Pentecostal churches that use the word in their legal names, and not to the churches that claim an origin during the so-called Apostolic Age or which have retained Apostolic Succession.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take it that the word is being used in this thread to refer to those Pentecostal churches that use the word in their legal names, and not to the churches that claim an origin during the so-called Apostolic Age or which have retained Apostolic Succession.
Do they change or add to the apostles teachings

There's only 12 "foundations" (signifying the Apostles teachings) upon THE FOUNDATION

See revelation 21

Upvote 0