✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Avid,

This software upgrade won't allow me to back quote what you wrote at #19.

However, in essence what you and I have written indicates from Rev 19 and 20 is that the "bride of Christ" refers to those believers who are married to the Lamb. It seems to me that the presumption is that this 'bride' is all those believers throughout human history who know the Lamb through being married to Him.

Do you understand the New Jerusalem as synonymous with the bride of Christ or do you have a different perspective?

In Christ,
Oz

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Avid,

This software upgrade won't allow me to back quote what you wrote at #19.

However, in essence what you and I have written indicates from Rev 19 and 20 is that the "bride of Christ" refers to those believers who are married to the Lamb. It seems to me that the presumption is that this 'bride' is all those believers throughout human history who know the Lamb through being married to Him.

Do you understand the New Jerusalem as synonymous with the bride of Christ or do you have a different perspective?

In Christ,
Oz
I guess there was an upgrade, because I cannot quote some things, and cannot edit some things. Others on the same page do not cause the same issue. Thought is was something I did...

You are not far from what I am saying, and that is why I wanted to encourage you to stay with it. Very few ever look at the scripture. It is time for us to give the Word of God the level of honor God Himself gives to it:
Psalm 138
2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
There is an actual City. It is so magnificent, it will take a long time for it to be revealed. That is what the Revelation is saying is the Bride. THE CITY. It is about 1,500 miles long, wide and high. It is made of the best materials imaginable. It will sit on the New Earth, after it comes down from God out of the New Heaven.

Now, I know this causes terrible upheaval for people who heard otherwise in Church. They have their heart completely convinced of a certain truth, and bend scripture to fit it. If it does not fit, they must say there is a SPIRITUAL meaning we are not told. It is spiritual, but we are being told.

My pastor thought I was crazy, but began to realize what I was showing him from scripture. The Holy City, New Jerusalem, with its gates of Pearl, streets of Gold, walls of Jasper, etc., is the Bride. Question to help you is, "What is any city without its inhabitants?" We are not told exactly who those inhabitants are, so everyone makes the guess that they are sure includes themselves!

One bunch says it is the Church, and the Church is a visible body, so if you are not accepted in a Church, and maintain your membership, you are just a run-of-the-mill Christian, and not part of the Bride.

Another bunch says it is all of the NEW TESTAMENT saints, as the old testament saints were not following Christ. Others say it is ALL SAINTS, but who is to really say who here is saved. Some think WE are only saved if we give up our religion, and join theirs. (They call us separated brethren.)

There is a bunch that have taken a number they read in the scriptures, say they are of that number that will be in Heaven with God the Father, and the rest of us will just roam the Earth with whoever God allows.

The answer is, TRULY, the people inhabiting that city are the ones who will be with Jesus. It truly is a great city, it will be the best place in the universe for people to be, and Jesus Christ will reign there, be the light of the place, and have His chosen ones to reign with Him as Priests and Kings forever.

This is the place that is made to honor the Son of God, a glorified human, and the humans He has chosen to be with Him in that city forever. Jesus has stated many times the things that make someone here to be fit for His Kingdom. People here think that if they are SAVED, they have it made, and all will be just great for them. Let us do as Jesus Christ has commanded, stop taking all this in a way that glorifies US and not Christ, and be about fulfilling His will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the Lord is coming back in the twinkling of an eye, but i'm not sure that it will be a secret. The Bible says that the Lord is going to return at the Last Trump. It also states that He is coming with His angels. The picture is set up for us in the first few verses of Matthew 25. His return is pictured as a Jewish wedding. The Bride is waiting for the Groom to return. The Groom has gone to be with His Father and the rest of the family. As soon as the father tells him when the wedding will be he will go and get His bride. He will go the edge of the Bride's town or village will his friends (angels) and they will sound their trumpets. At that point the bride and her maids (the ones who's lamps are ready) will go out and meet the Groom and His party. They will then go to the Father's House. Before they get there there is going to be a judgment (after all that is why Jesus is coming back). The sheep and goats will be separated and the sheep will go to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. After that it could be the Millennium or Heaven (or both).

Yes, we will be changed. When does that happen. I'm not sure, but it could be as I Thess 4:16 tells us. The Lord comes back and there will be a resurrection. We will be snatched up to meet Him in the air, but then its off to the judgment (as I said above). Nothing is said in Thess that we are going directly to Heaven. I'm not dogmatic about prophecy, but this is how I see it.

Ken :bow:
I liked your post. My wife seemed to pickup on the fact that the scriptures distinctly state that, "Immediately after the tribulation of those days..." She had heard the same things I had heard. I was in my early twenties, and someone at work gave me a bunch of info showing this idea of a Pre-Trib. Rapture.

It sounds real nice! It sounds like I'll be glorified and have a wonderful time with Christ in Heaven. Some years later, a good preacher was showing what the scriptures have as requirements and conditions to salvation, and stated that, if Christ does not know you, "When the rapture comes you won't get this high!"
Matthew 24
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
We should be sober, and vigilant. Let us stop playing "Church," and seek the LORD in sincerity.

The scriptures indicate the LORD will be HERE after He comes, and we will be here with Him. That is called the Thousand Year Reign of Christ. There will be a short season afterward when Satan is loosed, and THEN the LORD stops the attack upon Israel where He reigns.

We see the Great White Throne Judgment comes after that, and the Earth and Heaven are renovated by fire. Once this is complete, we have the restitution of all things. Once the Heaven and Earth are New, New Jerusalem will descend from God, and we will have our Eternal State established.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pilgrim42

Oct 2, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,036.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure that the Lord gave us all the prophecies in chronological order. Our first order of business needs to be our death. It won't be of much help to be ready for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb when we aren't even ready for a deadly car accident, or a heart attack. If we are ready to meet the Lord then I am sure that we will be ready for a rapture, or the millennium, or just a direct move to Heaven. It won't really matter what happens, we will just be glad that we are on the Lord's side and we will be the victors.
Prophecy is interesting, but our salvation and hope of the resurrection is what really matters.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
One example of the Dispensational hermeneutic would be the insistence of a what they call a “literal, grammatical, historical” method. This ideal functions in reality as a “literalistic” method that will often ignore the grammatical or historical context. A good illustration of this “literalistic” underpinning is in the restoring of the Tabernacle of David (Amos 9) being applied to the church (Acts 15.13-19) which is ignored by Dispensationalists because they believe a future Temple will be built. We are told many times directly and indirectly that we, the church, are the Temple but the literalistic hermeneutic is not able to understand the grammatical or historical context of these passages.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure that the Lord gave us all the prophecies in chronological order. Our first order of business needs to be our death. It won't be of much help to be ready for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb when we aren't even ready for a deadly car accident, or a heart attack. If we are ready to meet the Lord then I am sure that we will be ready for a rapture, or the millennium, or just a direct move to Heaven. It won't really matter what happens, we will just be glad that we are on the Lord's side and we will be the victors.
Prophecy is interesting, but our salvation and hope of the resurrection is what really matters.

This is true, and part of why I posted here. I know of people who might not seek understanding of anything spiritual or mundane, because of their belief in a Pre-Trib. Rapture. A Deacon had the suggestion from a family member to stock up on some basic food supplies. The family member suggested that the elderly man and his wife buy some rice, because of so much concern of a food shortage.

The Deacon said, "Famine is something that will happen in the tribulation, and I'll be taken away from here in the Rapture before that happens!" Simple prudence is out the window because of a dubious doctrine that may or may not happen the way he sees it.
Luke 19
13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

I Timothy 5
8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The Lord says He will come for His Bride "...in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye", so that is very sudden. There will be no announcement for the world, for God wants all to come now by faith and not by command, or just looking for a safe course to escape judgment.

No argument here, but just noting Scripture, which we all should do.

:thumbsup: :amen:

Nail-on-the-head correct.

The Thread starter & the Thread Title is using terminology that reeks of Amill / Postmill ( and some Post-Trib /Pre-millers ) mindset.

I could be wrong , but I doubt it. --- ( I've been around long enough to remember 3 cent Purple Postage stamps , and I had a Gunsmoke Lunchbox :) ) so I can smell an Amiller/Post-miller a mile away... even on the internet :D.

For years I was an attender then a member of a 1689 R.B. with a VERY amill/ no "Catching away" Pastor. He would avoid any verses or section of Scripture that alluded to or directly mentioned "The Catching Away" of Christ's people to meet Him in the air. I cringed at all the deliberate obfuscations he ( and 95% of the other Elders in that group ) made all the time per eschatology. It is a terrible thing to be more an adherent to a man-made eschatology ( following Augustin(e) ) than to just read - heed - believe the blessings , & promises & prophecies of the Lord Jesus , and Paul & Peter.

To the O.P. writer: There are many things to read and look for on this subject. If you are an honest seeker then get a book titled: "Things to Come" by J. Dwight Pentecost , Zondervan Pubs. Lots of information & scriptures. He covers much territory, not just about 'The Catching away" , but about all 'Eschatology' .

Btw - There is no such wording as 'secret rapture' used in scripture { a-millers & other wrongheaded folks make up phrases } --- the Bible uses terms such as : "The Catching away",,, ".... in the twinkling of an eye "...

"Then shall two be in the field; the one taken and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken , the other left. Watch therefore : for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come."

Look at these verses of Holy Writ and do some thinking upon them ---> Luke 21: 36 is certainly a verse that I have always thought teaches " in the twinkling of an eye" . Look at Matthew 25: 13 . 1 Thessalonians 4: 13-18. Matthew 24: 36 - 44.

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... Btw - There is no such wording as 'secret rapture' used in scripture { a-millers & other wrongheaded folks make up phrases } --- the Bible uses terms such as : "The Catching away",,, ".... in the twinkling of an eye "...
It is true that people make up terminology to fit anything they put together from bits around the Bible. The scripture is clear these things will happen. Too many wish to make up something that fits what they believe, rather than believe the Bible.

Upvote 0

AFPJ

Apr 4, 2014
North Carolina
✟7,678.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Thread starter & the Thread Title is using terminology that reeks of Amill / Postmill ( and some Post-Trib /Pre-millers ) mindset.

Sorry that's just the terminology I'm used to, I wasn't that exposed to Pre-trib ideologies when I was younger other than the Left Behind books. I appreciate the book suggestion as well and I'll try to get my hands on a copy when I can find time.

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry that's just the terminology I'm used to, I wasn't that exposed to Pre-trib ideologies when I was younger other than the Left Behind books. I appreciate the book suggestion as well and I'll try to get my hands on a copy when I can find time.

Hello --- Good to see that a Thread starter actually replied on the internet ! :) Seems like many folks start stuff and then disappear.

First: - Let me say up front that I do NOT know when The Lord will return --- NO human does. People make stupid statements and prophecies far too often.

There have been 'Date-setters' since the 1840's ; known as the Millerites and they were wrong back then. ( Now called the Seventh Day Adventists , with Ellen G. Harmon White and her pals. ) . About the same time period the 'Mormons' ( followers of Joseph Smith ) were teaching that The Lord was going to come back very soon - so everybody should join their group... blah, blah , blah, yakkity-yak. Then the 'Dawn Bible Students' ( Rutherford & Russell )-( which became the Watch Tower / J.W.s ) said for sure that The Return would be in 1914 ... ( It is now 2014 A.D. :p ) .

Lots --- and I mean bunches of Prophecy / End-times teachers/authors were 99% sure that the Lord Jesus would return in 1988 ... He did not. The 'Catching Away" ( aka; The Rapture ) did not happen in 1981. { Can you see it: " Prophecy books on the Discount bargain table - .10 cents each , fill up you bags! " :D }

Now ---> Just because people got dates and event times wrong does NOT mean that the Scriptures are wrong ! ( Can I get an 'amen!" ? ) The Lord God is still on The Throne and He knows what He is doing !

As for myself - I got saved in Jan. 1979 - and I did mucho End Times reading... I read all the famous Eschatology Passages, and scripture portions over and over. { Neglected lots of other good scripture though. }

When I started out as a young/new Christian - I was a Post-tribber because I listened to Dr. Walter Martin ( The real Bible Answer Man ) , and he was a Post-trib man. I listened to Keith Green and got his 'Last Days Newsletter' --- and liked him and his teachings. He was Post-trib .

Later I switched to being a Pre-trib guy after listening to a very good tape series by Pastor Joe Magliato (spelling ?), and He gave a great lesson about the Jewish Wedding/engagement/courting ritual-custom. { Bridegroom returning for the Bride. } Then I started listening to Pastor Chuck Smith and Dr. J. Vernon McGee on the daily radio bible teaching broadcasts. They made much sense to my mind. Their basic idea was that if it was a Post-trib 'Catching away' , then we would Know when the Lord was going to return to Earth... { Right then. } If a 'Mid-trib' --- then we would know when the 'catching away' would take place: 3 1/2 years after the Beast/Antichrist showed up.

Thus ... only the idea of an unknown time ( "When You Think Not" ) which would be a surprise to everyone... made the most sense to me... and still does. "Watch and Pray!"

{[ Sub- note : I was married in a WELS Lutheran Church and they are A-mill. I NEVER bought that nonsense ! Not then , not 3+ decades later. Never bought the Post-Mills idea either - for the same reason as Dr. J. Vernon McGee shot down the Post-Mill idea: The world we live in/on is getting WORSE , NOT better. ]}

My advise to you AFPJ is to toss those 'Rapture Fiction' books ( The Left Behind series ) in the fireplace . Read good Biblical study books. Get Halley's Bible Handbook & a Bible Dictionary ! Get familiar with the whole Bible , all 66 Books , do not just read the just the "End Times" sections. Some folks spend years dissecting the book of Daniel , and/or 3 chapters in Ezekiel , Matt. 24 , and never read Exodus or James.

Here are some links I found for you to look at. I am not a member of or a merchandizer for any of these websites/links. Just trying to give you information to digest. I do not hold to standard Scofieldism / Dispensationalism / but I do think that the "Charts" done by Clarence Larkin ( a Baptist Pastor ) are well done. He spent long hours matching Bible passages up with the drawings ... I kinda-sorta think he is correct on much of his thinking about what has happened , and what will happen.

[[ I think Larkin is probably (?) correct,,, --- but after the fiasco of 1981 / 1988 I'm not totally agreeing with any man on Eschatology! :cry: ]]

{[ Because I am under 50 posts , I can't post live web links , so I'll post scrambled links and you will have to put them back together and then point & click. ]}

h t t p : // clarencelarkincharts dot com / Clarence_Larkin_7 dot html

h t t p: / / w w w dot lamblion dot com / articles_rapture7 dot php

h t t p : / / w w w dot raptureready dot com /rr-pre-trib-rapture dot html

h t t p : / / w w w dot the-truth-ministries dot us/ PreTrib dot the-truth-mininstries.us/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The Thread starter & the Thread Title is using terminology that reeks of Amill / Postmill ( and some Post-Trib /Pre-millers ) mindset....

To the O.P. writer: There are many things to read and look for on this subject. If you are an honest seeker then get a book titled: "Things to Come" by J. Dwight Pentecost , Zondervan Pubs. Lots of information & scriptures. He covers much territory, not just about 'The Catching away" , but about all 'Eschatology' .

You don't like what you think is an OP mindset with the OP and instead promote a clearly pretrib-premill view of eschatology with Dwight Pentecost (he was the recommended text in the first Bible College I attended).

A better idea on the Rapture would to recommend something like Three Views on the Rapture (Zondervan 1996). But that also has a BIG limitation as it only presents the pre-, mid-, and post-tribulational views in debate among Gleason Archer Jr, Paul Feinberg, Douglas Moo and Richard Reiter. These are all premillennial. The a-mill and post-mill views are not included (censored?).

There is an older book that covers 4 views of the millennium, edited by Robert G Clouse 1977. The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views. Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press. It covers historic premillennialism (George Eldon Ladd), dispensational premillennialism (Herman A Hoyt), postmillennialism (Loraine Boettner), and amillennialism (Anthony A Hoekema). This is an excellent format in that one scholar presents his view and then the other 3 respond to him.

I urge you to not to cut off fellowship from those who are genuinely Christian but who adopt a different eschatology to that which you advocate. In my view, eschatology should not be a fellowship breaker among evangelical Christians.

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Per the book by J. Dwight Pentecost, I suggested that book because it covers all Eschatology , not just Pre-trib / Pre-mill. I picked up my copy and looked again in the Table of Contents , the Bibliography , the index , and he covers all those things. The Bibliography has authors that are Pre-mill , A-mill , and Post-mill.

BTW - I am not now , nor have ever advocated people & programs that only talk about the Second Coming. There are people that only focus on Eschatology and that is wrong. As Bible-believing Christians we should do like Dr. J. Vernon McGee and Pastor Chuck Smith ( and others such as Dr. John MacArthur ) did for decades of fine Christian service: Go through the Bible book-by-book , chapter by chapter , and read , teach , examine and learn from God's Inspired Bible. We are NOT to pick and choose the parts we do not like. We are NEVER to cut out parts and toss them in the 'waste basket' and call them 'Figurative' or 'Apocalyptical' or 'Symbolic' !

We must stick with the plain meaning of the words! Read them as you would read the cooking instructions on a box of baking flour or the assembly manual of a furniture item. Don't dream up stuff and insert things just to appease the ghost of Augustin(e). Always read the verses in context with the verses above and under that verse , and then cross- reference the Bible passages. Hopefully all Christians can say 'amen!' to that ... ?!

"...then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh!" Luke 21:28

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Exodus20,

I will not respond to your post at #42 because there are so many flaming statements by you.

When you learn to respectfully write about those with whom you disagree, then we will have some basis for discussion. We don't have that now with your approach.

Oz

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yahshua and the disciples said some things, very pointed, in the original languages that no one 'dare' quote as they were so 'vulgar' (or so it seems).
They had no hesitancy when they knew the truth to speak it.
Can't do that here. Or most places for that matter, without being subject to erasure.

However, learning what the original languages said, helps a lot for those seeking to know the truth,
and a lot of these 'arguments' just vanish when the original is read with understanding (Hebrew mostly; even if something later written in greek, Hebrew understanding) ---- yes.... it is so simple. it is that simple. Yhvh made all things simple, man complicated/corrupted it all.

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... I urge you to not to cut off fellowship from those who are genuinely Christian but who adopt a different eschatology to that which you advocate. In my view, eschatology should not be a fellowship breaker among evangelical Christians...
Thanks for putting it that way. there are so many guesses, that even the people who study for a lifetime on these things find significant disagreement amongst each other. The one idea seems to supersede contradictory scripture passages, but still makes sense. One idea seems plausible because of specific interpretations that the human mind seeks to take ONLY ONE WAY, so the scriptures again take a backseat to our opinions.

I prefer to take these things as important, but not a test of fellowship, as OZ has stated here. We are better off leaving certain details to the LORD, and trusting Him. Scripture is ignored if we are not firmly grounded in their authority.

We have been told that "the catching away" is a scriptural term, but even that is NOT found in the Text of the KJV Bible. CAUGHT UP is, and means essentially the same for its use here.

II Corinthians 12
2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3 And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

I Thessalonians 4
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Revelation 12
5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
It is always better to use scriptural terms. As I remember, the first time, and each successive time, I have heard anyone teaching the secret catching away as doctrine, it always came with a disclaimer of terminology not found in scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just looked up what you all mean by "A-Mill." Not something I have or would ever consider.

So no one gets a wrong idea, and thinks I have some off-the-wall belief system I'm pushing, let it be known that I trust the scriptures and The LORD Jesus Christ. If I do not understand the scriptures, I trust the LORD to teach me, or send me to someone who can. It has happened many times before.

At the same time, though, I am not caught up with every wind of doctrine till I am as uncommitted as a weather vane. If someone has a valid point, make your point with scripture, and don't try to send me to some guy's book, especially one written by Dr. So-And-So, DD, ThD, as I'll not purchase it, and not waste any time reading it.

If the scriptures are not clear on a specific thing, it may be that the LORD is using it to sort out who believes Him by faith, and who is so smart, they think they have figured out the puzzle, etc...

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It is always better to use scriptural terms. As I remember, the first time, and each successive time, I have heard anyone teaching the secret catching away as doctrine, it always came with a disclaimer of terminology not found in scripture.

What term are you going to use for the Trinity?

When I am describing the use of the aorist tense in the Greek NT, I'm using language that is not found literally in the Bible, but I'm explaining a tense that is used in the Bible. Do you want me to quit speaking about the aorist tense used in such-and-such a verse?

I don't think we can get away from using language that is not in the Bible.

Oz

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What term are you going to use for the Trinity?

When I am describing the use of the aorist tense in the Greek NT, I'm using language that is not found literally in the Bible, but I'm explaining a tense that is used in the Bible. Do you want me to quit speaking about the aorist tense used in such-and-such a verse?

I don't think we can get away from using language that is not in the Bible.

Oz
Valid Piont, but you can discuss it in a scriptural way. Even Trinity is a convenience of putting much of a Bible verse into one word. If, however, any of us make up a doctrine, and make a name that is not in scripture, and teach it as truth, we enter a questionable area.

I had asked a number of times for scriptural backing for a certain doctrine, and got no response. I asked a simple question that compares the very verse used to establish a doctrine, with ANY scripture or simple answer that explains it. If this happens at the LAST TRUMP, and that is before 7 trumpets that blow during the Tribulation, How many are to blow after the last trump?

You see, I'm not making it my life's work to examine these things, but it is reasonable to expect an answer from someone who seems to have made it a significant part of their biblical studies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Big Scary

Sep 1, 2018
Morgantown
✟7,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I haven't personally found strong Biblical evidence supporting a secret pre-trib rapture and I'm curious why people support it. I'm not looking for a debate, I just wanted to know some supportive or non-supportive arguments.

I was raised Plymouth Brethren, and I recall a few passages being stressed which I never hear about any more from those who believe in a pre-tribulation rapture.

"Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left." (Matthew 24:40-41)

"I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left." (Luke 17:34-36)

These two passages were stressed as to the secretness of the rapture because some people would mysteriously disappear, while their bewildered companions would be left behind to suffer the great tribulation. The Luke passage was especially highlighted as proving this would be a worldwide event, as some places it would be daylight and people are working, while other places it's night and people are sleeping.

"And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming." (2nd Thessalonians 2:6-8)

This passage seems to be neglected nowadays, perhaps because it doesn't go along with the usual rationale given for the rapture these days. The point of the rapture is to give Satan a free hand to work as much evil as possible during the great tribulation, not to rescue Christians from the suffering to be endured during the great tribulation! God has always tasked his people with suffering throughout the ages! This is a passage that takes some interpretation. The lawless one is the Antichrist. The Restrainer is the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit specifically viewed as indwelling each individual Christian as a temple. (cf 1st Corinthians 6:19) The Holy Spirit's presence in the world manifested in the individual members of the church restrains the Antichrist from appearing, so the church must be removed via the rapture to allow the Antichrist to be revealed and for all the evil to begin. This makes a post-tribulation rapture impossible because, seeing that the Antichrist cannot be revealed until after the rapture, he wouldn't have any time to commit all his evil deeds before the glorious Second Coming of Jesus Christ, who will kill him at that time.

"And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" (Revelation 6:9-10)

This one goes a bit more to the Dispensational rationale for believing in a pre-trib rapture. The Church is an institution founded at the day of Pentecost and whose membership rolls close with the rapture. However, people living before and after the Church Age can be saved too, but they are in a separate category from the Church. How does this passage supposedly prove it? Because these martyrs ask God to avenge them, whereas Christians are supposed to forgive and not seek after vengeance. (Cf. Luke 6:28, 1st Thessalonians 5:15, 1st Peter 3:9, etc.)

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I haven't personally found strong Biblical evidence supporting a secret pre-trib rapture and I'm curious why people support it.
Who says it will be a secret? Isn't that an example of the logical fallacy of poisoning the well?

Upvote 0