• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Is the real Mt. Sinai in Saudi Arabia?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Basil the Great, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Marc Munday

Marc Munday Member

+58
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Mount Sinai (Bible) - Wikipedia
    Mount Sinai (Bible) - Wikipedia
    upload_2021-7-21_9-13-31.jpeg
    In the Bible, Mount Sinai (Hebrew: הַר סִינַי‬‎, Har Sinai) is the mountain at which the Ten Commandments were given to Moses by God. In the Book of Deuteronomy, these events are described as having transpired at Mount Horeb. "Sinai" and "Horeb" are generally considered to refer to the same place by scholars. The location of the Mount Sinai described in the Bible remains disputed. The high point of the dispute was in the mid-nineteenth century. Hebrew Bible texts describe the theophany at Mount Sinai in terms which a minority of scholars, following Charles Beke (1873), have suggested may literally describe the mountain as a volcano. Mount Sinai is one of the most sacred locations in Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

To be honest I don't know or care where it is located. I just know and declare for eternity that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior and God in his own right and that's all that matters to myself. I will not let any snake try deceive myself into believing any untruth about Jesus Christ the rest I couldn't care less about arguing over.

2. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,826
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I do not think that anyone here is saying that it matters where the real Mount Sinai is located.

3. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+5,420
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    What matters is wikipedia is not a realisable source of info considering the very people that have first hand knowledge about themselves or events in the free range info arena are not allowed to correct information.

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,179
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I can imagine. however, we still have St Catherine's on Sinai and a deep history with that mountain.

it's in Egypt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,511
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I find it strange that people wish to explain the supranatural with the natural. The mountain described in Exodus 19 and 20 smoked and rumbled because of God's presence, not because it was a volcano. Those who believe it is a volcano are mistaken and are looking in the wrong place.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. Fr. Appletree

Fr. Appletree Priest of The Society of St. Pius V

+305
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    Agreed. It comes off as a gross parody.

7. Lawrence87

Lawrence87 Active Member

+391
    United Kingdom
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I totally agree. People are going along with an atheistic presumption that it must be a volcano because God doesn't exist and the people who wrote the Bible were stupid goat herders who didn't know what a volcano was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Supporter

+7,223
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    In the video called Mountain of Fire (I posted in this thread), the mountain Saudi Arabia that is believed to be Mt. Sinai was burned at the top of the mountain. This fits the biblical description of God burning the top of the mountain. What is even more interesting is that they analyzed the burned fragments of the top of the mountain and it was not from the mountain erupting. If I remember the video correctly, it was crystalized according to the Scientific findings. There was also Elijah's cave and the cleft rock near Mt. Sinai and other artifacts that make it really obvious that this is the location from the Bible.

9. Bible Highlighter

+7,223
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Evidence should outweight tradition.

10. prodromos

+8,511
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Did the mountain burn, or was it like the burning bush in Exodus 3?

11. Bible Highlighter

+7,223
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    In the Scriptures we learn that the Lord literally burned the top of Mt. Sinai (Exodus 19) (Deuteronomy 5). In fact, today, people have witnessed the burned top of Mt. Sinai. A Mountain that is now called "Jabal al Lawz" in Saudi Arabia. A mountain that you can see that is burned at the top.

Exodus 19:18
    “And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the Lord descended upon it in fire: and smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.”
    [​IMG]

The following video below (Mountain of Fire) reveals more of the discoveries made at Mt. Sinai. Such as Elijah's cave, certain artifacts, and the split rock.

Psalm 105:41
    “He opened the rock, and waters gushed out; they ran in the dry places like a river."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. prodromos

+8,511
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The Scriptures do not, in fact, say the Lord literally burned the top of Mt Sinai.

13. ArmyMatt

+16,179
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    that implies that tradition isn't part of the evidence when dealing with ancient history. it pretty much always is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Justin-H.S.

Justin-H.S. New Wineskins

+716
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    This whole thread (with the exception of Orthodox posters): Modern phronema.

15. Lawrence87

Lawrence87 Active Member

+391
    United Kingdom
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    For thousands of years people have held that the mountain in Egypt is Sinai, that is evidence.

16. Bible Highlighter

+7,223
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It was discovered in a certain year by Orthodox and they believed it to be Mt. Sinai, but they are mistaken because it does not match up with the biblical account like the mountain in Saudi Arabia. Watch the videos I presented in my beginning posts in this thread and look at the evidence. If then you decide to hold to your traditions despite the evidence than so be it.

17. Bible Highlighter

+7,223
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Watch the videos and look at the evidence. If after you seen the videos and decide it is not true, then that is your choice. For me, the evidences are overwhelmingly convincing. The mountain the Orthodox claim as being Mt. Sinai just does not fit the biblical description. But watch the video and look at the videos before deciding. If not, it would simply be just burying your head in the sand and seeing what you want to see.

18. Bible Highlighter

+7,223
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It is implied that where there is smoke and fire, there is burning going on.
    But if you do not believe the verse I gave you, there are others.

“The mountains melted from before the Lord, even that Sinai from before the Lord God of Israel.” (Judges 5:5).

How can a mountain melt by fire and smoke and yet not be burned? I am sure all things are possible with God, but the logical conclusion is that the Mt. Sinai was melted (burned) by the fire of God.

“The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein.” (Nahum 1:5).

19. Lawrence87

Lawrence87 Active Member

+391
    United Kingdom
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It was actually believed as early as 100 AD to be Mt Sinai by Jewish sages according to Wikipedia. Predating the Christian monastic period, so it wasn't the Orthodox who claimed it to be so.

Ultimately it doesn't matter so far as my faith is concerned, but I would sooner believe Holy tradition.

20. ArmyMatt

+16,179
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    how is the mountain we claim as Sinai, not the actual mountain?