Is The Mormon Church A Restoration Movement?

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I always found it funny (not in a haha way either), that "Christian" Churches, like the Baptist, Methodist (which I have to tread carefully, my gf is Methodist), Episcopalian etc etc, are just that "Christian" churches, yet, here we have the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints, and they're known as MORMONS, not CHRISTIANS....ummm...huh...weird.

I'm not a MORMON, just something I have noticed...
The term "Mormon" was coined as a pejorative term early in the church's history due to our church's acceptance of extra-biblical scripture (The Book of Mormon). In the writings of earlier LDS (Mormon) leaders, when referring to themselves by the term "Mormon," it was frequently written in quotes " " to indicate that the term was being applied to them by others, and that it was not how they wished to be called. Over time the term shifted to one that was tolerated by the church, and eventually became something to be proud of. I remember Pres. Benson (a past LDS prophet) quoting (he may have been singing it, I don't remember) a song that went "I might be envied by a king, for I am a Mormon boy." In fact, I remember singing that song a few times in my primary days. Today, the church still prefers its official name above all others, but we members are often heard referring to ourselves as "Mormons." As for me, I prefer "Latter-day Saints" or "LDS."

Another contributing element to our not being commonly called "Christian" like other Christian faiths, such as the ones you named (Methodists, Baptists, etc.) is that our extra-biblical scriptures, and some of our core beliefs (such as the nature of the Godhead/Trinity) and practices (vicarious ordinances for the dead) are offensive to many Christians, and we are not actually considered Christians by much of Christianity. Add to that the fact that we evangelize other Christians (the "why" is another discussion altogether), and we are frowned upon by a great many. Even in this forum, discussion of our unique doctrines can only occur in the Unorthodox Theology sub-forum, which is a nasty place most of the time, by the way. (there are a bunch of folks who have been camping there for years, some of them ex-Mormons, who feel the need to "protect the world" from our duplicitous and shifty presentation of LDS theology—they claim that we don't tell "the whole truth," so that we can ensnare people. Of course, we LDS feel that they don't tell the story right, so mortars often get lobbed. :doh:)

Anyway, there's the skinny on why we're called "Mormon" instead of "Christian."

Upvote 0

Libs

Feb 19, 2011
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is my first post and really just a test, but I wanted to add to this conversation.

I am an inactive Mormon (went inactive about three years ago) and the Mormons do not consider themselves polytheists, because they claim to worship only One God, the Father (Heavenly Father). They do, however, believe that Christ and the Holy Ghost are separate Gods. The three, together, (Father, Son & Holy Ghost) makeup the Godhead.

They also do consider themselves Restorationists.

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I could consider myself a politician just by watching the news, but that wouldn't make me a real politician. Or any kind of politician at that.

At the end of the day, what you consider yourself to be, and what the truth actually is, can be and most often is two separate things.

As for the main question, for me to even consider them to be a (or rather, the) restoration movement, I'd first have to consider them as a part of Christianity. Which I do not.

Upvote 0

Mr.SteveSir

Jun 7, 2011
✟7,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One single aspect of LDS theology disqualifies them for the term Christian. The LDS teach that good Mormon men go to the highest level of heaven. There they can advance until they become a god themselves. They are then given a planet to rule by other gods, and they populate the planet with their spirit children born by their earthly wives. The thought that a man could elevate himself to godhood is upsetting to say the least.

Upvote 0

Gozreht

Jun 25, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many "religions" speak of Christ. Even religions that are not compatible with Christianity often speak of Jesus. But this does not mean that these religions are correct. What does the Bible say the main ideas of Christianity are? The following are just small pieces of what Christians believe but are the most important and perhaps explains Christianity:
  1. God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. Now the Bible does not use these words specifically but do not get bogged down with that. There are things called concepts. Psalm 139:7-12 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
  2. Jesus was fully man and fully God. Jesus was God but He was also man. He felt the same things do. He knows what the flesh is all about. But He is also God because only He can forgive sins. John 1:1, In the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God and the Word was God. John 10:30, I and the Father are one.
  3. Jesus was the Son of God (as man) and came to die for all mankind. How could He be the Son of God yet God at the same time? Think of it as when you give something of yours to somebody. It is from you, it is of you, it shows who you are. Now try and put yourself in that place. That is why you are not God (L. Ron Hubbard). You can't do it. But God manifested Himself into the flesh and was called Jesus. The second part is the important part here. 1 Peter 2:24, “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed."
  4. Jesus rose from the dead. Without this, our faith means nothing. If God can not raise the dead then there is no hope. Acts 10:40, but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen.
  5. Jesus will return for those who believe in Him. If He does not return then His promise is a lie. If He is a liar then no one should believe in Him. John 14:2-3, My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
  6. Jesus is the only medium, or mediator, between God and man. Now that does not mean the only messenger of God. It means that there is only one way to God and that is through Jesus, no other being. If someone claims they are the only one to interpret things or the only one who knows God then they are delusional. 1 Timothy 2:5, For there is one God, one mediator also between God and men, himself man, Christ Jesus.
  7. Solo Scriptura. This idea is that the Bible alone is the sole authority by which we live. It trumps tradition and any other liturgical ideas. The Bible was written by the Apostles and fathers of the Church in 1st century AD. When John wrote the final words, the Bible can not be added to.
Beyond these that are mentioned is mostly about comfortability and practice. Such as the type of music or to use music at all is strictly based on opinion. Should leaders be called priests, pastors, ministers, or elders is also another issue that is just based on comfort or opinion (semantics), for all who are called to Christ are ministers (those who serve). Now some issues are based on translation and are open for discussion such as is water baptism necessary or just a sign of obedience. And the answer is, yes. Because as long as someone believes in Jesus then it is a personal relationship with Him. Does communion really become the body and blood of Christ or is it just a symbol of what He did? The answer is, yes. Because it really doesn't matter what you believe. If you take communion with the right heart and mind then God will honor that. If it becomes God then great. If not then you still took it with Him in mind. All that was commanded here it that you do it in remembrance of Him. These issues should not distinguish between a practitioner of Baptist or Methodist or anything else, although people do overstate these differences, and that is a shame. But if one deviates from the seven points above then they could be considered a cult.

With that in mind, Mormans are humanitarians. Pacifists. Great people. But true Christians? Well they have a special book called, the Book of Mormon, written by Joseph Smith. Smith found these writings on a plate in North America. He was the only one who could dictate what the plates meant. The LDS do not say that Jesus is God (as in one with the Father) but only the Son of God. See #2, #6, and #7. They are not part of the Restoration Movement as we are. They may have their own but it deviates from Biblical teachings.

It is funny though as I mention the word cult, someone on another thread here on this forum is calling the Church of Christ and the Restoration movement a cult. http://www.christianforums.com/t7666815/ I have dealt with it but the one guy is distorting what the movement is all about.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Mormon churches have the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants as well as other extra-biblical writings they consider authoritative. This puts them firmly outside the Restoration Movement (as defined in this forum). Christadelphians might also claim to be restorationists as their founder spent some time with Alexander Campbell before he left. The fact that there may have been some interaction between members of the restoration movement and Mormons earlier on does not make Mormonism a Restoration Movement church.

I read it was written by a guy called Solomon Spaulding and was acquired by Joseph Smith.
Refrus
Professor Paul Conkin, of Vanderbilt University, believes that Sidney Rigdon, an associate of Alexander Campbell, wrote the Book of Mormon. He gives his reasons for this in his book entitled, American Originals. Rigdon and the Smith brothers met each other in Kirkland, Ohio.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Does the Mormon church (LDS) see itself as A Restoration Movement? Yes.

Is the Mormon church historically a part of THE Restoration Movement, otherwise known as the Stone-Campbell Movement? No.

There are similarities in terms and practices. This is a result of a group of Stone-Campbell advocates converting to Mormonism through Sidney Rigdon.

Sidney Rigdon was a popular preacher in the early years of the Stone-Campbell Movement. He along with many in his congregation converted to Mormonism in 1830. Among the members of his congregation who converted were future prominent Mormons: Parley Pratt, Isaac Morley and Orson Hyde. Through the influence of these members, the LDS adopted many Restoration Movement terms and even practices.

Rigdon himself essentially became Joseph Smith's right hand man and spokesman for the LDS. However Rigdon and Smith had a falling out over some issues - one of which was that Rigdon opposed polygamy. When Smith died in 1944, Rigdon was believed by many to be in line to be Smith's successor. However through power plays Brigham Young took over instead, resulting in Rigdon being excommunicated.

LDG
Joseph Smith's brother raped Sidney Rigdon's daughter. That may have had something to do with their split.

Upvote 0