Is The Mormon Church A Restoration Movement?

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. It's not, but I appreciate that LDS members think it is. Realistically, many groups believe the same. Some Pentacostals would consider themselves restorationalists in a way. SDA's and Messianics certainly would in another. I don't consider that any of them (ourselves included) truly are, but I'm also not sure that we really need to be.

Of the groups that consider themselves to be a restoration of sorts, there are some valid issues that warrant consideration. Have the spiritual gifts passed? Is the Sabbath eternal? Is our Modern Western understanding consistent with 1st Century Jewish understanding? etc... All of those issues are pertinent to the NT church and can be examined according to the scriptures of that time. For the LDS, this isn't the case. We must assume that certain truths were lost to everyone for nearly 2 millenia and then came to light all of a sudden. We simply can't consider the scriptures or even 1st century historical, cultural understandings to reach that truth. We must rely on a recent "prophet" and his discoveries. No. Noone outside the LDS will consider you to be restorational in any real sense. Though we may acknowledge that you believe yourselves to be as much.

If you want to find an RM/LDS link - it's often been suggested that it was an ex-RM big wig who actually wrote the Book Of Mormon. Check that out.

Peace

Upvote 0

RefrusRevlis

May 25, 2007
Western Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Mormon churches have the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants as well as other extra-biblical writings they consider authoritative. This puts them firmly outside the Restoration Movement (as defined in this forum). Christadelphians might also claim to be restorationists as their founder spent some time with Alexander Campbell before he left. The fact that there may have been some interaction between members of the restoration movement and Mormons earlier on does not make Mormonism a Restoration Movement church.

If you want to find an RM/LDS link - it's often been suggested that it was an ex-RM big wig who actually wrote the Book Of Mormon.

I read it was written by a guy called Solomon Spaulding and was acquired by Joseph Smith.
Refrus

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does the Mormon church (LDS) see itself as A Restoration Movement? Yes.

Is the Mormon church historically a part of THE Restoration Movement, otherwise known as the Stone-Campbell Movement? No.

There are similarities in terms and practices. This is a result of a group of Stone-Campbell advocates converting to Mormonism through Sidney Rigdon.

Sidney Rigdon was a popular preacher in the early years of the Stone-Campbell Movement. He along with many in his congregation converted to Mormonism in 1830. Among the members of his congregation who converted were future prominent Mormons: Parley Pratt, Isaac Morley and Orson Hyde. Through the influence of these members, the LDS adopted many Restoration Movement terms and even practices.

Rigdon himself essentially became Joseph Smith's right hand man and spokesman for the LDS. However Rigdon and Smith had a falling out over some issues - one of which was that Rigdon opposed polygamy. When Smith died in 1944, Rigdon was believed by many to be in line to be Smith's successor. However through power plays Brigham Young took over instead, resulting in Rigdon being excommunicated.

LDG

Upvote 0

khristeeanos

Oct 25, 2007
Front Range, CO
✟7,696.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Ummm. No.

Have you ever read any part of the BOM, DOC, or the POGP?

Here is a quote from Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism:

The Teachings of the Prophet
Joseph Smith, pages 370 and 372:

I will preach on the plurality of Gods.... I have always declared God
to be a distinct personage, Jesus Christ a separate and distinct personage from God the Father, and that the Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit: and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods.... Many men say there is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are only one God! I say that is a strange God anyhow three in one, and one in three! It is a curious organization . . . All are to be crammed into one God, according to sectarianism. It would make It would make the biggest God in all the world. He would be a giant or a monster.

Upvote 0

HappyChicken

Domestic Egg Executive
Nov 11, 2007
Indiana
✟8,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a former Mormon, I can assure you that Mormonism is definitely Polytheistic. What Christians refer to as the Trinity, Mormons view as three seperate Godheads. Also, according to the Mormons, we too become Gods in the afterlife.

This doctrine is not something they advertise. You don't even learn of it until after you are baptized into the LDS church. I can give some web addies if you wish reguarding this matter if it would help you.

Upvote 0
T

Texadelphos

Christadelphians might also claim to be restorationists as their founder spent some time with Alexander Campbell before he left.

As a Christadelphian I can attest to this fact. The pioneer of the Christadelphian movement (John Thomas) was a Campbellite (I do not use this term disrespectfully) who was a friend of Alexandar Campbell. He did indeed leave the movement over doctrinal differences. Another group that sprang out of this time period was the Church of the Blessed Hope, originally the Church of God - Abrahamic Faith. They are very similiar to Christadelphians in doctrine.

One other movement that is traced to this time is the Landmark movement within the Southern Baptist convention. J.R. Graves and J.M. Pendleton are credited as the pioneers of this group of Baptists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ldsmissionary

Apr 11, 2008
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟15,147.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
As a former Mormon, I can assure you that Mormonism is definitely Polytheistic.

That mormons have a curious belief in the plurality of Gods is true, however, they pray to one single God.

What Christians refer to as the Trinity, Mormons view as three seperate Godheads.

To clarify, Mormons believe that the trinity is made up of three separate 'Gods' - God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. One single Godhead, three separate personages.

Also, according to the Mormons, we too become Gods in the afterlife.

To clarify, only those that obtain exaltation in the highest Mormon heaven continue on in eternal progress to become Gods.

This doctrine is not something they advertise. You don't even learn of it until after you are baptized into the LDS church.

That mormons have a curious belief in the plurality of Gods is true, however, they pray to one single God.

Interesting, to me, that they encourage a relationship with Jesus Christ, yet, they never talk with Him. They only direct their prayers to their "Father in Heaven."

Click here for how to pray the Mormon way.

Upvote 0

ParsonJefferson

just LOVES the flagrantly biased moderating here
Mar 14, 2006
✟12,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It really boils down to this: Do you believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and do you believe his words to be inspired and true.

Mormons answer, "Yes."
Christians answer, "No."

Everything else is built up on the answer to that question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did some work comparing Joseph Smith and Alexander Campbell and a few others while I was attending university. I would argue that Mormonism and the other groups that are traditionally associated with Mr. Campbell and the like are all born out of the same movement. There was a fervor to return to the basic, primitive form of Christianity in the early 1800s. Both "groups" (I use the term lightly) have that drive as their basis.

In this respect, they are both restoration groups. The next question, I would argue, is not "Restored to what?" because both groups wanted (at least claim to want) to restore the original church that Christ established. The next question we should ask is "How did they go about pursuing restoration?". I believe that the different answers to that question resulted in the manifold differences that we see today.

Reactions: DerSchweik
Upvote 0

Gypsy76

Aug 12, 2010
✟15,161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I left the Mormon church that I grew up in and truly found and internalized Christ, which is something I never understood how to do in my former church. Christ always seemed more like a storybook character before, someone I learned about second to Joseph Smith. Since becoming a wholehearted Christian, I understand the direct fellowship Christ wishes to have with us. Its an amazing thing to be directly connected to Him rather than seeing him through a blurred window of "ideas".

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I left the Mormon church that I grew up in and truly found and internalized Christ, which is something I never understood how to do in my former church. Christ always seemed more like a storybook character before, someone I learned about second to Joseph Smith. Since becoming a wholehearted Christian, I understand the direct fellowship Christ wishes to have with us. Its an amazing thing to be directly connected to Him rather than seeing him through a blurred window of "ideas".

I have heard others who have left the church say that we do not preach or understand Christ. Or that we place Joseph Smith above Christ. This is so far from the truth. Joseph Smith was just a man and imperfect at that. Christ is the Savior of the world. Because of A restoration, we understand more clearly the importance and purpose of our life, and our intimate spiritual relationship with Christ. I am not saying that those of other beliefs can not have a close relationship with Christ, but that through more ancient and modern revelations we have more truth available to us. We do emphasize Joseph Smith more than other prophets because he is the prophet of the restoration. But certainly not more than teach of Christ and the purpose. Through Joseph Smith many of the revelations and guidelines on the workings of the restoration and function of the Latter Day Church is spelled out. So I guess I am at a loss as to how you could precieve what you do.

Upvote 0

Deacon

Oct 16, 2003
Bartlett, Tennessee
✟3,206.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I always found it funny (not in a haha way either), that "Christian" Churches, like the Baptist, Methodist (which I have to tread carefully, my gf is Methodist), Episcopalian etc etc, are just that "Christian" churches, yet, here we have the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints, and they're known as MORMONS, not CHRISTIANS....ummm...huh...weird.

I'm not a MORMON, just something I have noticed...

Upvote 0