Washington State
✟103,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello! The other day, I was discussing Sabbatarianism on a thread, and @Torah Keeper said that the Acts of John (Apocryphal) supports the view that the Lord's Day is Saturday. Here's the text in question:

And on the seventh day, it being the Lord's day, he said to them: Now it is time for me also to partake of food. And having washed his hands and face, he prayed, and brought out the linen cloth, and took one of the dates, and ate it in the sight of all.

To that, @Leaf473 replied, "To me, it's unclear if it refers to the 7th day of the week or the 7th Day of John's fast." Is @Leaf473's interpretation correct, or does the text support the idea that the Lord's Day is on the seventh day of the week? If the latter, then when was this text written? Thanks!

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello! The other day, I was discussing Sabbatarianism on a thread, and @Torah Keeper said that the Acts of John (Apocryphal) supports the view that the Lord's Day is Saturday. Here's the text in question:

And on the seventh day, it being the Lord's day, he said to them: Now it is time for me also to partake of food. And having washed his hands and face, he prayed, and brought out the linen cloth, and took one of the dates, and ate it in the sight of all.

To that, @Leaf473 replied, "To me, it's unclear if it refers to the 7th day of the week or the 7th Day of John's fast." Is @Leaf473's interpretation correct, or does the text support the idea that the Lord's Day is on the seventh day of the week? If the latter, then when was this text written? Thanks!

"The Lords' day" is not Sunday according to the scriptures and never has been.

So what day is "the Lords day" according to the scriptures or Jesus?

Matthew 12:8 For the son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.

Well there you have it. According to Jesus he is the Lord of the Sabbath day. That is the Sabbath is "the Lords day from the very words of Jesus. Now who should we believe and follow; God or man? (Romans 3:4; Acts of the Apostles 5:29).

Take Care all :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Lord's Day is every day in the New Covenant, where we rest full-time in God's own full-time rest
from our own works to save, and in Jesus' work which saves to the uttermost.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Lord's Day is every day in the New Covenant, where we rest full-time in God's own full-time rest
Sadly that is not biblical or does it make and sense. Revelation 1:10 does not say John was in the Spirit on "the Lord's days" and John does not say he was in the Spirit every day of the week in Revelation 1:10. According to the scriptures no one enters into God's rest (Sabbath) by hardening their hearts in sin and unbelief according to Hebrews 3:8-19.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly that is not biblical or does it make and sense. Revelation 1:10 does not say John was in the Spirit on "the Lord's days" and John does not say he was in the Spirit every day of the week in Revelation 1:10. According to the scriptures no one enters into God's rest (Sabbath) by hardening their hearts in sin and unbelief according to Hebrews 3:8-19.

Can I translate...

'Sadly that is not biblical' - means it doesn't agree with the members theology.

'it doesn't make sense' - means the member doesnt agree with it.

'According to the scriptures no one enters into God's rest (Sabbath) by hardening their hearts in sin and unbelief' - means if you believe in God's everyday rest you are sinning, because you don't believe in a seventh day sabbath as the member does.

There you go... believe what he does or you are under judgement.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can I translate...
'Sadly that is not biblical' - means it doesn't agree with the members theology.
'According to the scriptures no one enters into God's rest (Sabbath) by hardening their hearts in sin and unbelief' - means if you believe in God's everyday rest you are sinning, because you don't believe in a seventh day sabbath as the member does.
. . .:oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I don't think leaf is correct. They are not numbering the days of fast and never say how many days he fasted. The reference makes more sense as indicating that during the fast - he broke the fast for the "Lord's Day". (It was not permitted to fast on Sabbath)

"And on the seventh day, it being the Lord's day, he said to them: Now it is time for me also to partake of food. And having washed his hands and face, he prayed, and brought out the linen cloth, and took one of the dates, and ate it in the sight of all. And when they had ridden a long time they came to the end of their journey, John thus fasting. And they brought him before the king, and said:..."
In any case - the Bible already tells us which day is the Lord's day.

Is 58:13
the Sabbath
13 “If because of the sabbath, you turn your foot
From doing your own pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight, the holy day of the Lord honorable,
And honor it, desisting from your own ways,
From seeking your own pleasure
And speaking your own word,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"The Lords' day" is not Sunday according to the scriptures and never has been.

So what day is "the Lords day" according to the scriptures or Jesus?

Matthew 12:8 For the son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.

Well there you have it. According to Jesus he is the Lord of the Sabbath day. That is the Sabbath is "the Lords day from the very words of Jesus. Now who should we believe and follow; God or man? (Romans 3:4; Acts of the Apostles 5:29).

Take Care all :wave:
Amen! God is the authority of His day and He has clearly spoken.

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God
Isaiah 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable

God tells us this about all other days except the seventh day:
Exodus 20:9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

Sadly so many people harden their hearts from this very plain scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Looking at the text, it is not entirely clear whether the seventh day refers to the seventh day of the week or John's fast. I don't think any conclusion one way or the other is warranted. However, if I absolutely had to go one way or the other, I would guess that it means the seventh day of John's fast. In the early Christian texts I have seen--though I admit I am far from an expert on them--when referring to Saturday, saying "the seventh day" seems very rare outside of when referring to the creation narrative. Normally "Sabbath" is used to refer to Saturday, and when you see "seventh day" (outside of statements regarding the creation narrative) it refers to the seventh day of some other time period. To say "seventh day" without adding "of the week" for specification would therefore be, at least from what I have seen, unusual.

But with what we have, I don't think we can say one way or the other for sure.

What is the other thread you are referring to? It would be useful to have context for this topic.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let's face it - clearly a clash of spirits.

I will not sit back and see folks robbed of God's rest and come under legal obligation.
If one doesn’t want to be robbed of the blessing Christ gives, obedience is something you can choose to do or not do, so one can’t blame others for their own disobedience. We all have free will.

Hebrews 4:6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience

• Winner
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If one doesn’t want to be robbed of the blessing Christ gives, obedience is something you can choose to do or not do, so one can’t blame others for their own disobedience. We all have free will.

Hebrews 4:6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience

Romans 14:6
He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

There is clearly no sin either way.

• Agree
Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

You are reading into scripture to say something it clearly does not. That scripture surely does not say we do not need to obey God’s commandments. Paul tells us what matters and that is keeping the commandments of God. 1 7:19 John tells us For this is the love of God that we keep His commandments 1 John 5:3. Sin is breaking God’s laws 1 John 3:4, Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7 and breaking one of the commandments is like breaking them all. James 2:10-12. Right now we still have time to repent and turn from sin and obey, but Jesus is coming when we least except Him, so we should not harden our hearts from the Truth. God bless

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • You are reading into scripture to say something it clearly does not. That scripture surely does not say we do not need to obey God’s commandments. Paul tells us what matters and that is keeping the commandments of God. 1 7:19 John tells us For this is the love of God that we keep His commandments 1 John 5:3. Sin is breaking God’s laws 1 ohn 3:4, Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7 and breaking one of the commandments is like breaking them all. James 2:10-12. Right now we still have time to repent and turn from sin and obey, but Jesus is coming when we least except Him, so we should not harden our hearts from the Truth.

In obedience we come into the seventh day Sabbath rest with Him - how could this possibly be said to be breaking a command ?

Hebrews 4
King James Version

4 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

• Winner
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Can I translate...

Not at all. That could not be further from the truth. It means exactly what it says it means and that is Revelation 1:10 does not say John was in the Spirit on "the Lord's days" (plural) and John does not say he was in the Spirit every day of the week in Revelation 1:10. According to the scriptures no one enters into God's rest (Sabbath) by hardening their hearts in sin and unbelief according to Hebrews 3:8-19. Now what is it here from the scriptures shared in this post, that you do not believe? Please do not try and re-interpret my posts to try and make them say things they are not saying.

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Your reading the Sabbath into Romans 14. Where does it say that Romans 14 is talking about God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4)? Scripture please. Romans 14 is talking about eating and not eating on days that men esteem over other days. Romans 14 is not talking about the days that God esteems over other days. The things that men esteem over other days is an abomination to God according to *Luke 16:15. An interpretation that Romans 14 is talking about the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment which is nowhere written in the chapter, makes Paul a hypocrite because he kept the Sabbath according to God's 4th commandment (Acts of the Apostles 17:2).

Take Care

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In obedience we come into the seventh day Sabbath rest with Him - how could this possibly be said to be breaking a command ?

Read Hebrews 3 if we continue in known unrepentant sin (breaking Gods commandments) and unbelief (Romans 14:23) no one enters into God's rest/His rest/My rest defined in Hebrews 4:1-5 as Gods' "seventh day Sabbath" created from the foundation of the world. Therefore we do not enter His Sabbath rest by breaking the Sabbath or not believing and following what Gods' Word says according to the scriptures. Hebrews 4:9 Therefore it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

Take Care.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.