IS THE LORD'S DAY REALLY SUNDAY OR GOD'S SABBATH DAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
In regards to REVELATION 1:10 to say this is referring to SUNDAY is reading into the scriptures something that it is not saying or implying.

In Revelations 1:10 "Lords Day κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ does not link to any scripture reference in the NEW TESTAMENT to μιά των σαββάτων (the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK).

κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ used in Revelations 1:10 is in reference to the Lord's ownership of the day. It does not say that this day is in reference to μιά των σαββάτων which means the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.

Your challenge in this OP is to prove that the LORD'S DAY is in reference to the First day of the week and prove it from the scriptures.

The GREEK words used in REVELATION 1:10 is in reference to God's OWNERSHIP of the DAY κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ.

God owns all the days of the week but there is only one that he has BLESSED and made a HOLY DAY of REST and has commanded his people to REMEMBER and keep *GENESIS 2:1-3; EXODUS 20:8-11

ISAIAH 58:13 If you turn away your foot from the SABBATH, from doing your pleasure on MY HOLY DAY [God's ownership of the day]; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words:

WHICH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY?

MATTHEW 12:8[8], FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY

Yep seems like God's SABBATH DAY is the LORD'S DAY alright.

God bless.

The ECF confirm that “The Lord’s Day” is indeed Sunday.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi All,

This thread is for scripture only and friendly christian discussion.

We would like to show that the "LORD'S DAY" that many proclaim is SUNDAY is a false teaching and you will not find any scripture support for this teaching in any of God's WORD.

Let's start by looking at the scriptures that many use to claim SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY"

REVELATIONS 1:9-11 [9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. [10], I was in the Spirit on the LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, [11], Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What you see, write in a book, and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia; to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.

No doubt about it Revelations 1:10 clearly says that John was in the SPIRIT on the "LORD'S DAY"!

NOW the only problem you have is the need to show scripture that says SUNDAY IS THE LORD'S DAY.

Can you please provide scripture that says SUNDAY or the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK is the "LORD'S DAY"?

If you cannot find any scriptures to say that SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY" then you have a problem as your reading into the scriptures something that it is not saying.

Now let's look at the scriptures that give the answer to our question

Q. WHAT DAY IS THE "LORD'S DAY" ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE?
A.
MATTHEW 12:8 [8], For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Which day is the Lord's Day? THE SABBATH DAY (MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28)

God's WORD says that the SABBATH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY!

There is NO scripture that says Sunday or the FIRST DAY of the week is the Lords Day. God's Word says the Lord's day is the Sabbath day. This is the day God rested on, he set apart and made a Holy day at the completion of the creation week and made a memorial for all mankind (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus is the God of creation and he is the Lord of the Sabbath day (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27-28)

Now friend's the SABBATH is the 4th Commandment of God's 10 Commandments and there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that God's 4th Commandment has been ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep SUNDAY as a HOLY DAY. The same as there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that SUNDAY is the LORD'S DAY.

John in the book of REVELATIONS 1:10 was in the SPIRIT on the SABBATH DAY not SUNDAY!

HOW WAS THE LORD'S DAY CHANGED TO SUNDAY?

SUNDAY Worship is a teaching and tradition of men handed down by the Roman Catholic Church that has lead many to break and ignore God's 4th Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11)

ARE YOU FOLLOWING A MAN MADE TRADITION IN SUNDAY WORSHIP?

God's WORD is very clear. If we follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God then we are not following God...

MATTHEW 15:3-9
[3], But he answered and said to them, Why do you also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
[4], For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
[5], But you say, Whoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatever you might be profited by me;
[6], And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have you made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
[7], You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
[8], This people draws near to me with their mouth, and honors me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
[9], But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Who do we believe and follow? The teachings and traditions of men or the WORD of God? Only God's WORD is true and we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

SIN is breaking any of God's 10 Commandments (Romans 7:7; Romans 3:20; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT ENTER the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

In times of ignorance God winks at but when as knowledge of the truth has come God calls on all men everywhere to repent and believe his Word (Acts 17:30-31)

God's is calling his people to come out from following the traditions of men to worship him in Spirit and in truth.

God knows many follow these traditions from ignorance because they do not know any better. He loves all and is calling all who have ears to hear and eyes to see. Seek him in prayer asking for his Spirit to guide and teach you. He promises to be your guide and teacher. (John 14:26; 16:13: 7:17)

What are your thoughts?

Friendly Christian discussion only please
. (It is ok to agree to disagree)

God bless.

Everyday is the LORDS day as He made each and everyday for us. Rejoice in that!

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi All,

We would like to show that the "LORD'S DAY" that many proclaim is SUNDAY is a false teaching and you will not find any scripture support for this teaching in any of God's WORD.

Let's start by looking at the scriptures that many use to claim SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY"

REVELATIONS 1:9-11 [9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. [10], I was in the Spirit on the LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, [11], Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What you see, write in a book, and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia; to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.

No doubt about it Revelations 1:10 clearly says that John was in the SPIRIT on the "LORD'S DAY"!

NOW the only problem you have is the need to show scripture that says SUNDAY IS THE LORD'S DAY.

Can you please provide scripture that says SUNDAY or the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK is the "LORD'S DAY"?

If you cannot find any scriptures to say that SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY" then you have a problem as your reading into the scriptures something that it is not saying.

A.

There is NO scripture that says Sunday or the FIRST DAY of the week is the Lords Day. God's Word says the Lord's day is the Sabbath day. This is the day God rested on, he set apart and made a Holy day at the completion of the creation week and made a memorial for all mankind (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus is the God of creation and he is the Lord of the Sabbath day (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27-28)

Now friend's the SABBATH is the 4th Commandment of God's 10 Commandments and there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that God's 4th Commandment has been ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep SUNDAY as a HOLY DAY. The same as there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that SUNDAY is the LORD'S DAY.

John in the book of REVELATIONS 1:10 was in the SPIRIT on the SABBATH DAY not SUNDAY!

SUNDAY Worship is a teaching and tradition of men handed down by the Roman Catholic Church that has lead many to break and ignore God's 4th Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11)

God's WORD is very clear. If we follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God then we are not following God...

[3], But he answered and said to them, Why do you also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
[4], For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
[5], But you say, Whoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatever you might be profited by me;
[6], And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have you made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
[8], This people draws near to me with their mouth, and honors me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
[9], But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Who do we believe and follow? The teachings and traditions of men or the WORD of God? Only God's WORD is true and we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

SIN is breaking any of God's 10 Commandments (Romans 7:7; Romans 3:20; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT ENTER the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

In times of ignorance God winks at but when as knowledge of the truth has come God calls on all men everywhere to repent and believe his Word (Acts 17:30-31)

God's is calling his people to come out from following the traditions of men to worship him in Spirit and in truth.

God knows many follow these traditions from ignorance because they do not know any better. He loves all and is calling all who have ears to hear and eyes to see. Seek him in prayer asking for his Spirit to guide and teach you. He promises to be your guide and teacher. (John 14:26; 16:13: 7:17)

What are your thoughts?

God bless.

Which day does NOT belong to the Lord Jesus?

On which day are we FORBIDDEN to worship?

The Sabbath commandment in the Decalogue is not about worship, but a rest from labor that extended even to one's employees, slaves, and farm animals.

BTW--The name of the last book in the NT does not end with an S.

Here is the Eastern tradition about the real significance of the Sabbath:

Great Moses mystically prefigured this present day when he said, ‘And God blessed the seventh day’. For this is the blessed Sabbath; this is the day of rest on which the only-begotten Son of God rested from all his works, through the dispensation in accordance with death, he kept the Sabbath in the flesh; and returning once again to what he was through the Resurrection he has granted us eternal life, for he alone is good and loves mankind.

In othe words, the Sabbath was fulfilled 2000 years ago by the Savior, and hence has passed away.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The term "Lord's day" used in Revelation 1:10 is not linked to μία των which is used in the NEW TESTAMENT Greek which means FIRST DAY.

In Revelations 1:10 "Lords Day κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ does not link to any scripture reference in the NEW TESTAMENT to μιά των σαββάτων (the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK).

κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ used in Revelations 1:10 is in reference to the Lord's ownership of the day. It does not say that this day is in reference to μιά των σαββάτων which means the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.

Your challenge in this OP is to prove that the Lord's DAY is in reference to the First day of the week and prove it from the scriptures.

God bless.
I've already expressed (to the wrong person" the Eastern Chritians' understanding of the weekly Sabbath.

However, we also teach that this reference in Revelation (note there is no S at the end of the name, btw) is referring not to a day of the week, but to the period of time called "the Day of the Lord."

Remember when Jesus said, "Abraham rejoiced to see My day." You don't think he was referring to the Saturday sabbath, or any 24 hour period, do you?

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi All,

A.

What are your thoughts?

God bless.

I dunno why you wait for a Saturday to be the Lord’s day, but everyday is the Lords day on my end.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Everyday is the is the day the Lord has made and some of us worship every day, and I rest on Saturday as the Lord had suggested. Sunday is the day I celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus and ensure I celebrate it by going to the Eucharist.

So to argue over which day we should set aside to worship God simply doesn't make sense to me, maybe it is just another way to ignore the teaching of Jesus' inclusion of all brothers and sisters in Christ. After all we are the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0

ToServe

Sep 18, 2018
Sydney
✟29,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi All,

A.

What are your thoughts?

God bless.

The Lord's Day before the Cross was to serve as an illustration to the Lord's day rest after the Cross.

One was a 'type' projecting to the 'anti-type' to come.

The 'anti-type' rest day is no longer applicable in the flesh under the 'type' Mosaic temple construct, but is spiritual under the 'anti-type' Holy Spirit Temple construct.

Read Hebrews 4 and Romans 8 and discern that we entered the 'anti-type' Lord's rest day from Pentecost. We commemorate this day as Sunday which is really the eighth day.

Why Sunday is the eighth day and the restoration of the Garden, which gives us access to the Tree of Life Jesus Christ?

Why we commemorate Sunday as the 'anti-type' rest day that is eternal and separate from the fleshly 24 hours days of the week?

Sunday becomes Christ centred, which points to the Tree of Life in the centre of the Garden.

A Sabbath-Rest for the People of God

1Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. (Hebrews 4)

The promise of entering his rest still stands alluding to the spiritual application of entering and not by a fleshly entering.

3Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ”

The 'type' Sabbaths were not God's rest, for they were made for man as Jesus said.

The 'anti-type' Sabbath in the singular is eternal and it is made for God and is the Present Perfect Tense.

example of this tense is: "have entered." "Have" is the present tense and "entered" is the past participle.

The book of Hebrews is to the Abrahamic Jews and addresses the Jews to whom the Gospel was proclaimed first and did not enter that rest because of their disobedience. The Hebrews writer declares they still have a chance to enter the Sabbath Rest today if they come to the Cross in the centre of God's Garden.

6Therefore since it still remains for some (Jews) to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.”

Therefore, though the unbelieving Jews who rejected the Gospel still observed the Mosaic Sabbaths they still were prevented from entering God's rest day because of their refusal to do so owing to their unbelief. This means that the Sabbath after the Cross is not a fleshly ordenance and is Christ centred at the feet of the Cross.

Observing the 'type' fleshly Sabbath as opposed to the 'anti-type' eighth day Sabbath which is commemorated on Sunday pointing to the Cross in the centre of the Garden is to worship the mark of the beast.

Any observance of a 24 hour day Sabbath becomes a mark of the beast that is of man, for 24 hour Sabbath was made for man, in contrast to the Sabbath made for God on the Cross.

God who is Jesus Christ worked and on His Cross he rested from his works, by giving access to man to eat from the Tree of Life, after making restoration.

The spiritual restoration is the works of God that he completed when he said it is finished and then rested from his works on the Cross.

There are two Sabbaths, one is for man/beast and the other for God.

Mark 2:27
"The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi All,

A.

What are your thoughts?

God bless.

Gathering on the first day of the week is a biblical tradition.

Acts 20:7
On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight.​

1 Corinthians 16:1-3
Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come. And when I arrive, I will send those whom you accredit by letter to carry your gift to Jerusalem.​

Matthew 12:8 / Mark 2:27-28 is not calling the Sabbath "The Lord's Day". The line "the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath" does not equate to the Sabbath is "The Lord's Day". and this is a great as assumption as you are accusing.

why is it called the "Lord's Day"? Because it is the day Christ rose from the grave and it is a celebration of this. which is why we gather together to celebrate the Lord which is not a value of the Sabbath.

Matthew 28:1
Now after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb.​

Mark 16:1-2
When the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. And very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to the tomb.

Mark 16:9
[Now when he rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons.​

John 20:1-2
Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.​

Scripture firmly establishes that Christ rose on the first day of the week and it establishes there was an early tradition to meet on the first day of the week. These things are undeniable but is the first day of the week "the Lord's Day". Well as you have figured out there is no scripture that explicitly says the first day of the week is the Lord's day (as there is no scripture that says the Sabbath is the Lord's Day") . So how do we know what day of the week it is?

Given Revelation is the last book written and the first book that mentioned the phrase "The Lord's Day" it shows us it is a type of a colloquialism where the phrase itself it not self evident which day of the week it is and is contextually based. When John uses it he seems confident enough that his audience knows it's meaning without further needing to explain what it means. No other place in scripture uses it and perhaps it is because the phrase was not yet coined or widely used. This shows us that it is a later developed phrase based on a day that is important to Christians that has strong connections with Christ.

Rev 1:10 doesn't explain it further but biblical cross references often connect it with the aforementioned verses regarding the early value of Christians meeting on the first day of the week. such as ESV, NIV, NASB, NKJV, AMP, EXB and paraphrases just plainly say "Sunday" like the Message or other versions like the New Matthew Bible or the Wycliffe Bible. I was unable to find a single version that references the Sabbath or the Lord of the Sabbath reference. The word used for "The Lord's Day" is Kyriake (κυριακῇ) and this is the regular word of "Sunday" in modern greek, go ahead check it out. I'm sure you would cite corruption but all of history and modern scholars would disagree, the Lord's Day is in fact the first day of the week.

If you ignore all of these and choose to base it upon your own interpretations of scripture then how is this any better than what you suggest you are speaking against? Scripture supports the early Christian value of gathering together on the first day of the week and it has a waning focus for the Sabbath. Without knowing any history it is more logical to choose the first day of the week from scripture alone but using history and scholarly research the matter is indisputable as the first day of the week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToServe

Sep 18, 2018
Sydney
✟29,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God entered His rest day. Please note and underline His Rest Day.

Did Adam enter the Lord's Rest Day?

Yes, because Adam was in a state of peace and harmony with God before the fall and had full access to the Tree of Life in the center of the Garden.

Did Adam have access to the Lord's Rest Day after the fall?

No.

Did the Old Covenant peoples enter the Sabbath Rest Day of God?

No.

Why?

Because man was in a state of disarray and there was no atonement at present that would restore them, so that they can be granted access to the Tree of Life.

What was the Sabbath that the Mosaic Aaronic priesthood applied all about?

It was designated by God for them, so that it would serve them rather than the other way around.

Is the Sabbath that God rested on the same as the Sabbath that the Old Covenant peoples observed?

No.

God would explicitly divorce himself from their Sabbaths, by identifying them as their Sabbaths.

Stop bringing me your meaningless gifts; the incense of your offerings disgusts me! As for your celebrations of the new moon and the Sabbath and your special days for fasting--they are all sinful and false. I want no more of your pious meetings. (Isaiah 1:13)

I will stop all her celebrations: her yearly festivals, her New Moons, her Sabbath days--all her appointed festivals. (Hosea 2:11)

God is saying it is your Sabbaths and her Sabbaths and not his, get it!

Jesus says that these Sabbaths were made for man and not for God. (Mark 2:27)

Scripture explicitly states that their Sabbaths were not God's rest day because God said they shall never enter My Rest.

God's Sabbath is not the Sabbaths that the Ancient Israelites observed according to their priestly customs.

Hebrews 4
Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. 3Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ”

After the Cross the breach in the Garden was restored and the Tree of Life became Christ Jesus who granted access to those who fall at the foot of his Cross, so that we can enter God's Rest Day as Adam had before the fall.

The 24 hour of the day Saturday that the SDA people speak of as the Lord's Day was never God's rest day in the first place and this was the greatest misconception that their prophetess Ellen White had.

Now that Ellen White has been corrected a hundred years later by a simpleton.

• Informative
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yet the writings of the Church fathers are not God's WORD and not in the bible for a reason.

the reason we have the Bible we have today is BECAUSE the Church fathers put it together...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I did read what you provided and none of what you provided is God's WORD. You have provided no scripture showing that Sunday is the "LORD'S DAY" Yet the scriptures teach that God's 4th Commandment SABBATH is the LORD'S DAY *MATTHEW 12:8. How should we believe the WORD of GOD or the teachings of men? *MATTHEW 15:3-9

κύριος γάρ ἐστιν τοῦ σαββάτου ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 12:8 actually doesn’t call the Sabbath “The Lord’s Day”.

κύριος γάρ ἐστιν τοῦ σαββάτου ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In regards to REVELATION 1:10 to say this is referring to SUNDAY is reading into the scriptures something that it is not saying or implying.

Your challenge in this OP is to prove that the LORD'S DAY is in reference to the First day of the week and prove it from the scriptures.

The GREEK words used in REVELATION 1:10 is in reference to God's OWNERSHIP of the DAY κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ.

God owns all the days of the week but there is only one that he has BLESSED and made a HOLY DAY of REST and has commanded his people to REMEMBER and keep *GENESIS 2:1-3; EXODUS 20:8-11

ISAIAH 58:13 If you turn away your foot from the SABBATH, from doing your pleasure on MY HOLY DAY [God's ownership of the day]; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words:

WHICH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY?

MATTHEW 12:8[8], FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY

Yep seems like God's SABBATH DAY is the LORD'S DAY alright.

God bless.

It seems to me that you are arguing that Sunday is not the Sabbath day. You are right, it is not. It never has been nor ever will be. Trying to use Greek terms will not change that one way or the other...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Mark 2:27 - And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

The Sabbath was made for man. All men, not just Israelites. Not to mention God celebrated the Sabbath at creation. I disagree about the Israelite concept though, because as Paul says, we are all Israel.

The Sabbath was made for Adam, Adam was not made for the Sabbath. Adam was created first, on the 6th day, then came the Sabbath on the 7th day.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I definitely don’t think “The Lord’s Day” is Sunday, but I don’t think it’s the Sabbath, either

It makes more sense overall, that John was in the Spirit on the Day of the LORD/Day of Yahweh that we read about in the Prophets, considering what John saw and wrote down.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi All,

We would like to show that the "LORD'S DAY" that many proclaim is SUNDAY is a false teaching

EVERY day is the Lord's day.
He made them all, and if we are serious about him being Lord of our lives, we can't just give him one day to worship, pray, listen to his word and so on.

We belong to Jesus, live in Jesus, testify to Jesus, pray, worship and listen to God's word EVERY day; or should do. Sunday - resurrection day - is just the time that we choose to meet up with other Christians to learn from, and encourage, one another. Meeting on a Friday, Wednesday or whenever would be just as valid.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you consider the day Jesus resurrected important?
The day that Jesus rose from the dead is important but that is not the same as saying the day of the week or month or date in the year is to be set aside as a holy day or something.

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.