IS THE LORD'S DAY REALLY SUNDAY OR GOD'S SABBATH DAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Are you sure brother? Let the scriptures answer the question...

WHICH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY?

MATTHEW 12:8[8], FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY

Yep seems like God's SABBATH DAY is the LORD'S DAY alright.

God bless

No. That’s not what it says.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You’re way off in left field. The writings I provided are valuable writings from church history.

Nowhere in scripture is the sabbath referred to as “The Lord’s Day”.

The only passage that mentions “The Lord’s Day” is Revelation 1:10.

Do they in your view take precedence over God's WORD? I think not.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No. That’s not what it says.

Actually it is exactly what it says. KJV go look it up brother.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The point BTW, is, they all love the lord and are trying to please him. As long as we love the Lord/thank him, and are trying to please him, he knows that and is not going to hold them to a particular day or type of food they eat.

You wanted scripture, but if you refuse to see what is in the scripture, that's on you.

The KJV has now explained it to you, as has the NLT, and myself, and it clearly means what it means and you state it's just about food. Did you not even see the part about worshiping? Or get the fact it was all about trying to please God and not so much about getting things right to the letter of the law?

According to JESUS we only prove our LOVE to him if we keep his Commandments. God's 4th Commandment is one of the 10 Commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172. If we break any one of them we stanf guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:10-11.

JOHN 14:15, IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Read the ECF writings.

Why do they replace God's WORD? JESUS says that if we KNOWINGLY follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God then we are not following God. In times of ignorance however God winks at but when a knowledge of the truth has come God calls us to follow his Word.

MATTHEW 15:3-9
[3], But he answered and said to them, Why do you also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
[4], For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
[5], But you say, Whoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatever you might be profited by me;
[6], And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have you made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
[7], You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
[8], This people draws near to me with their mouth, and honors me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
[9], But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Who do we believe and follow? The teachings and traditions of men or the WORD of God? Only God's WORD is true and we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

ACTS 17:30-31
[30], And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commands all men every where to repent:[31], Because he has appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he has ordained; whereof he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You are misrepresenting Matthew 12:8.

Not at all brother I posted Matthew 12:8 word for word. Here it is again...

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Your challenge in this OP is to prove that the Lord's DAY is in reference to the First day of the week and prove it from the scriptures.

Since there is only one verse that mentions “The Lord’s Day” I would say that proving much of anything from scripture would be an impossibility.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Not at all brother I posted Matthew 12:8 word for word. Here it is again...

God bless

No. You are twisting what is said.

Jesus never calls the sabbath “The Lord’s Day”.

He simply stated that he is lord of that day.

However he is lord of every day so by that line of thinking then every day could be “The Lord’s Day”.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to JESUS however as only LOVE him if we keep his Commandments. God's 4th Commandment is one of the 10 Commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172. If we break any one of them we stanf guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:10-11.

JOHN 14:15, IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.

And the scripture I quoted explains just what the commandment entails, as in any day we wish as long as we are trying to please God. It's as if they saw what was coming/the argument we are having ahead of time and clarified.

As mentioned, it gives further instruction.

If you doubt that concept, remember how the commandments were given in stone as just basics, and the details were later added.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think everyone here knows the Biblical sabbath is the 7th day of the week.

they also know, and you wanted scripture:

Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
That was talking about fasting though. In context, food and eating were mentioned almost 12 times in the verses directly before and after that verse. That and the Sabbath isn't mentioned once in that entire chapter. Not even once in that book.

To top it all off though, if you study into the history of Roman believers at that time they were fighting over which days to regard as fasting days. It was such a huge dispute that people were disbanding fellowship because of it, so Paul was setting people straight, saying it didn't matter. Why didn't it matter? He tells us in the next verse:

Romans 14:6 - 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since there is only one verse that mentions “The Lord’s Day” I would say that proving much of anything from scripture would be an impossibility.

In regards to REVELATION 1:10 to say this is referring to SUNDAY is reading into the scriptures something that it is not saying or implying.

In Revelations 1:10 "Lords Day κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ does not link to any scripture reference in the NEW TESTAMENT to μιά των σαββάτων (the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK).

κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ used in Revelations 1:10 is in reference to the Lord's ownership of the day. It does not say that this day is in reference to μιά των σαββάτων which means the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.

Your challenge in this OP is to prove that the LORD'S DAY is in reference to the First day of the week and prove it from the scriptures.

The GREEK words used in REVELATION 1:10 is in reference to God's OWNERSHIP of the DAY κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ.

God owns all the days of the week but there is only one that he has BLESSED and made a HOLY DAY of REST and has commanded his people to REMEMBER and keep *GENESIS 2:1-3; EXODUS 20:8-11

ISAIAH 58:13 If you turn away your foot from the SABBATH, from doing your pleasure on MY HOLY DAY [God's ownership of the day]; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words:

EXODUS 31:12-18 [12] Then the Lord said to Moses, [13] Say to the Israelites, You must observe MY SABBATHS. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
@EVERYONE guys I have to leave for a while to take my wife out. Nice talking to you all. I will have to try to get back to this latter. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and nice talking to you all. Will be back latter.

God bless. :wave:

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That was talking about fasting though. In context, food and eating were mentioned almost 12 times in the verses directly before and after that verse. That and the Sabbath isn't mentioned once in that entire chapter. Not even once in that book.

To top it all off though, if you study into the history of Roman believers at that time they were fighting over which days to regard as fasting days. It was such a huge dispute that people were disbanding fellowship because of it, so Paul was setting people straight, saying it didn't matter. Why didn't it matter? He tells us in the next verse:

Romans 14:6 - 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Ok, for the moment lets drop the prior argument and not because I withdraw it, but because it may be best to add to it at this point.

At what point in the Bible did it change from this particular commandment being given to the Isrealites specifically, to being given all men/Christians? Remember, it was originally a sign, specifically, between them and Him.

The following clearly says it was intended for the Isrealites, and I quote 2 versions, always starting with the KJV.

Exodus 31:12-18 King James Version (KJV)
12 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Exodus 31:12-18 New International Version (NIV)
12 Then the Lord said to Moses, 13 “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

14 “‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it is to be put to death; those who do any work on that day must be cut off from their people. 15 For six days work is to be done, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”

18 When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, for the moment lets drop the prior argument and not because I withdraw it, but because it may be best to add to it at this point.

At what point in the Bible did it change from this particular commandment being given to the Isrealites specifically, to being given all men/Christians? Remember, it was originally a sign, specifically, between them and Him.

The following clearly says it was intended for the Isrealites, and I quote 2 versions, always starting with the KJV.

Exodus 31:12-18 King James Version (KJV)
12 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Exodus 31:12-18 New International Version (NIV)
12 Then the Lord said to Moses, 13 “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

14 “‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it is to be put to death; those who do any work on that day must be cut off from their people. 15 For six days work is to be done, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”

18 When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.
Mark 2:27 - And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

The Sabbath was made for man. All men, not just Israelites. Not to mention God celebrated the Sabbath at creation. I disagree about the Israelite concept though, because as Paul says, we are all Israel.

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi All,

This thread is for scripture only and friendly christian discussion.

We would like to show that the "LORD'S DAY" that many proclaim is SUNDAY is a false teaching and you will not find any scripture support for this teaching in any of God's WORD.

Let's start by looking at the scriptures that many use to claim SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY"

REVELATIONS 1:9-11 [9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. [10], I was in the Spirit on the LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, [11], Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What you see, write in a book, and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia; to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.

No doubt about it Revelations 1:10 clearly says that John was in the SPIRIT on the "LORD'S DAY"!

NOW the only problem you have is the need to show scripture that says SUNDAY IS THE LORD'S DAY.

Can you please provide scripture that says SUNDAY or the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK is the "LORD'S DAY"?

If you cannot find any scriptures to say that SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY" then you have a problem as your reading into the scriptures something that it is not saying.

Now let's look at the scriptures that give the answer to our question

Q. WHAT DAY IS THE "LORD'S DAY" ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE?
A.
MATTHEW 12:8 [8], For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Which day is the Lord's Day? THE SABBATH DAY (MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28)

God's WORD says that the SABBATH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY!

There is NO scripture that says Sunday or the FIRST DAY of the week is the Lords Day. God's Word says the Lord's day is the Sabbath day. This is the day God rested on, he set apart and made a Holy day at the completion of the creation week and made a memorial for all mankind (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus is the God of creation and he is the Lord of the Sabbath day (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27-28)

Now friend's the SABBATH is the 4th Commandment of God's 10 Commandments and there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that God's 4th Commandment has been ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep SUNDAY as a HOLY DAY. The same as there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that SUNDAY is the LORD'S DAY.

John in the book of REVELATIONS 1:10 was in the SPIRIT on the SABBATH DAY not SUNDAY!

HOW WAS THE LORD'S DAY CHANGED TO SUNDAY?

SUNDAY Worship is a teaching and tradition of men handed down by the Roman Catholic Church that has lead many to break and ignore God's 4th Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11)

ARE YOU FOLLOWING A MAN MADE TRADITION IN SUNDAY WORSHIP?

God's WORD is very clear. If we follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God then we are not following God...

MATTHEW 15:3-9
[3], But he answered and said to them, Why do you also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
[4], For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
[5], But you say, Whoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatever you might be profited by me;
[6], And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have you made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
[7], You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
[8], This people draws near to me with their mouth, and honors me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
[9], But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Who do we believe and follow? The teachings and traditions of men or the WORD of God? Only God's WORD is true and we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

SIN is breaking any of God's 10 Commandments (Romans 7:7; Romans 3:20; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT ENTER the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

In times of ignorance God winks at but when as knowledge of the truth has come God calls on all men everywhere to repent and believe his Word (Acts 17:30-31)

God's is calling his people to come out from following the traditions of men to worship him in Spirit and in truth.

God knows many follow these traditions from ignorance because they do not know any better. He loves all and is calling all who have ears to hear and eyes to see. Seek him in prayer asking for his Spirit to guide and teach you. He promises to be your guide and teacher. (John 14:26; 16:13: 7:17)

What are your thoughts?

Friendly Christian discussion only please
. (It is ok to agree to disagree)

God bless.

There are 7 days in a week, Sunday is the first day of the week, this is fact and also in real old calendars.

If Sunday is the first day of the week then what makes Saturday?

You guessed it, the sabbath day.

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.