Is the Law of Attraction a bad practice?

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I read an article that offered steps on how to find your calling. It recommended recording dreams as one step. When I recorded my dream I started to feel like it was wrong for an Orthodox to do.

I also thought about the Law of Attraction, having been tempted lately to practice it in my own life.

I want to live in accordance with God's commandments. I want to do the right thing. Should I just stop looking at these types of things, including literature on personal achievement and success?

Perhaps I am just in over my head.

Reactions: sparkle123

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Law of Attraction is just straight-up nonsense. I don't know what recording your dreams involves, but it may or may not be nonsense. Personal achievement and success as well as personal development are fine, some of the literature is okay, but be wary of people suggesting "spiritualized" or magic systems around it. The good ones are about finding what you're good at and enjoy doing and what you're bad at and don't enjoy doing as well as finding what personal barriers you have to doing well in your life and what it takes to work with them. Obviously there's going to be some spiritual component to this but there's no magic to it.

Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Law of Attraction is just straight-up nonsense. I don't know what recording your dreams involves, but it may or may not be nonsense. Personal achievement and success as well as personal development are fine, some of the literature is okay, but be wary of people suggesting "spiritualized" or magic systems around it. The good ones are about finding what you're good at and enjoy doing and what you're bad at and don't enjoy doing as well as finding what personal barriers you have to doing well in your life and what it takes to work with them. Obviously there's going to be some spiritual component to this but there's no magic to it.

I am feeling hesitant and somewhat resentful of the Tony Robbins types for promoting 'massive wealth' and obtaining it themselves. Also for believing that God is a woman.

I need to find the proper balance.

There is this exercise called Priming. It is a ten ,inute morning ritual that involves breathing techniques and controlling thoughts, such as thoughts of gratitude. For some reason I feel hesitant to do this.

Do any of you meditate?

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly all of this sounds strange. I would suggest focusing on your Orthodox life, prayer, and values. As gzt said, find what you love and work at a career in that area.

May I ask what kind of results you are seeking? Happiness? Wealth?

• Agree
Reactions: Glaucus
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly all of this sounds strange. I would suggest focusing on your Orthodox life, prayer, and values. As gzt said, find what you love and work at a career in that area.

May I ask what kind of results you are seeking? Happiness? Wealth?
This.

Pray for God's will for your life to be done, and for him to guide you in all that you do, and that you are prosperous.

What you are doing makes me uncomfortable. You're not really seeking God for anything, and it sounds like a different kind of spirituality.

You asked if anyone here meditates. Yes. On Scripture, Psalms and prayers, especially the Jesus Prayer.

Upvote 0

Reno Raines

Dec 30, 2017
Osaka
✟6,075.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is mixing anything with orthodoxy or any other religion a good idea?
That law of attraction thing, is that where you wait until night, go on your roof and turn your back to space (need to wait until night for this), then throw the paper with your wish in it over your shoulder? It's called "the secret" or something.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That law of attraction thing, is that where you wait until night, go on your roof and turn your back to space (need to wait until night for this), then throw the paper with your wish in it over your shoulder? It's called "the secret" or something.

This sounds like some kind of magical thinking.

The doing of it by itself might be harmless (though silly) ...except that probably no one would bother doing it unless they had some degree of belief (faith) in it to accomplish something. And that, IMO, is dangerous - yes mixing something else, whether religion, superstition, or whatever it is - with Orthodoxy.

I don't know if that's what this law of attraction thing is either.

But I would agree, take that time and focus on prayers instead. Read Scripture. Meditate on God, and on the Scriptures. Seek Him as the source of whatever it is you are trying to get. And the outcome would be much better.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

generally no, but the seed of truth is in practically every religion and philosophy, so you can find that. as an example, the ECF used a lot of pagan philosophic terms to clarify Orthodox understanding, but the understanding was always the same.

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I read an article that offered steps on how to find your calling. It recommended recording dreams as one step. When I recorded my dream I started to feel like it was wrong for an Orthodox to do.

Hello there. First let me say that you should talk with your priest.

Second, while there is nothing inherently wrong with writing down one's dreams, remember that not every dream is a vision. Discernment is very important here, as demons may try and lead you away from Orthodoxy one little thought at a time.

I also thought about the Law of Attraction, having been tempted lately to practice it in my own life.

I want to live in accordance with God's commandments. I want to do the right thing. Should I just stop looking at these types of things, including literature on personal achievement and success?

Perhaps I am just in over my head.

There are a great many good motivational books on the market today. I'm sure the good people here could provide you with a few referrals if you asked. But be wary with any of text that would promote an alternative spiritual outlook. Books like "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne, or any of the so-called teachings of Abraham by Hicks should be avoided. These (in my humble opinion) are demonically inspired texts meant to drive a wedge between you and your Savior. Any time you come upon a book that was produced by "automatic writing", be assured that it does not come from God.

Now for the good news. Jesus tells us "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." And elsewhere: "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." You need not look to other sources to discover all the good things Our Lord wishes to give to us. God is good. He has not put you here to fail, nor to wander about listlessly without purpose and direction. Pray, study the gospel, read the Fathers, and wait upon the Lord to show you the way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ovis90

Jun 7, 2015
Vilnius
✟20,552.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I dont know anything about recording dreams. But i just can say from my life it was even before i find out about Law of attraction. What i noticed I was often speaking with my brother how i wish to travel and live around Europe all the time and i was very close to Jesus . After a year i was traveling around europe and I prayed to be a missionary and after few weeks i meet people who helped me to live in italy and i became a missionary I always asked God and he always helped me. I never asked for money. I dont see here no magic. In my point of view its very christian or its Gods law of Faith just The Secret authors made it sound more available for everyone and i dont know in what way they get this things as well,but i dont see no magic. In the bible it say if you ask,believe you can move mountains. It also say that what you speak it has power to give life or death. If you seen experiment with water our words has power. Later there was time when i went wrong ways in life and got more far from God and was very negative speaking all the time and seeing that only bad will come and All I was speaking became reality. In first place its bad to be negative because it show lack of faith in God. In bible say seek first the Kingdom of Heaven and everything else will come as well. Its all in the bible

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I dont know anything about recording dreams. But i just can say from my life it was even before i find out about Law of attraction. What i noticed I was often speaking with my brother how i wish to travel and live around Europe all the time and i was very close to Jesus . After a year i was traveling around europe and I prayed to be a missionary and after few weeks i meet people who helped me to live in italy and i became a missionary I always asked God and he always helped me. I never asked for money. I dont see here no magic. In my point of view its very christian or its Gods law of Faith just The Secret authors made it sound more available for everyone and i dont know in what way they get this things as well,but i dont see no magic. In the bible it say if you ask,believe you can move mountains. It also say that what you speak it has power to give life or death. If you seen experiment with water our words has power. Later there was time when i went wrong ways in life and got more far from God and was very negative speaking all the time and seeing that only bad will come and All I was speaking became reality. In first place its bad to be negative because it show lack of faith in God. In bible say seek first the Kingdom of Heaven and everything else will come as well. Its all in the bible

the Bible says a lot else. St Paul had a thorn in the flesh which he asked God to take away and God said no. so it's not as simplistic as that.

not to mention demons can imitate that as well.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not only can I never remember my dreams but what in the world is the law of attraction? chemicals in the brain when you see someone attractive?

law of attraction in a nutshell says if you focus on good thoughts, good stuff happens. focus on bad thoughts, bad stuff happens. it's bizarre.

Upvote 0