Is the KJV inaccurate/should it be treated as legitimate?

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
AVBunyan said:
The AV came from Greek that was written in koine Greek - the average street Greek of the day.
And yet (unlike Tyndale) didn't even use the street English of the 17th Century, let alone the 21st. Therein lies the problem.

Upvote 0

AVBunyan

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Again - I cannpt prove to you the AV is superior - if one cannot see the AV is more complete and precise in presenting the doctrines of the faith then I cannot show you - God has to show you.

Illustration:
You cannot "prove" to the sinner that Christ died for his sins, was buried, and rose again the third day" - how are you going toprove that? All you can do is show him the scriptures and God does the rest.''

The same here - I can show you the differences between the verses but cannot prove to you it is right - only God can show you that.

There are tons of sites where men have taken the new versions and laid them along side the AV to show clear differences but if you can't "see" the differences then there is nothing more I can do.

If one can't see in Mic. 5:2 in the modern versions where they say Christ was "from ancient of days" clearly declaring that Christ had a beginning then what else can be done.

I can show you hundred's of examples where the AV is more precise in declaring the doctrines of the faith but if you can't "see" these then until God opens your understanding then you'll never "see" such simple things.

Also - the koine Greek being the "street" languge of its day back then is different than the "street" language of today for the "street" language of today is almost a slang as compared to the English of the AV.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It was still a "street" language it related to people, heck Paul calls the Ephesians stupid, to elevate the language of the Bible is to say to God that the language that you inspired is not good enough it should be more formal. The language of the KJV was never a street language it is taking the street language of the Bible and putting it somewhere around legal formalism.

Upvote 0

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I cannpt prove to you the AV is superior - if one cannot see the AV is more complete and precise in presenting the doctrines of the faith then I cannot show you - God has to show you.

I can show you the differences between the verses but cannot prove to you it is right - only God can show you that.

AVBunyan,

I hope you realize that what you are asking of others is no different than a Mormon telling you or us that the Book of Mormon is really God's inspired word and if only we had a burning in our bosom, we would know the truth...or no different than a Charismatic who declares that there's demons doing something to him or to someone else and the only way you or I would know is if we have “eyes to see” like they do...or no different than the Eastern Orthodox church declaring “we are the only church” and the only way you can know it is if you become one of them and believe what they do...etc.

You are appealing to Special Revelation, which cannot be tested or verified by anyone unless they come to believe exactly what you do already. Don't you understand how useless that is to anyone but yourself? It is a non-position because no one else can take your position unless they already have it. The only thing you can possibly do is aggravate others by telling them they are wrong and they don't know it. And that is not helpful at all. The only helpful thing you can do is cease trying to tell anyone anything about the AV other than how much you like it. And then we'll rejoice with you on finding a translation that works well for you (so many people have not) and we'll pray YHWH leads you into all truth whether because of it or despite it.

Upvote 0