• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Is the immune system important in fighting coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by OldWiseGuy, Apr 23, 2020.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    All I've heard is the negative aspects of the immune system i.e. weakened immune systems, autoimmune response, etc. But isn't a healthy immune system the first line of defense against the coronavirus?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,193
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Yes. A healthy immune system will kick it to the curb. It's not special.

3. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+15,523
    Christian
    Married
    it does seem to be one of those things that amps up problems already present in the body:
    Coronavirus, diabetes, obesity and other underlying conditions: Which patients are most at risk?
    My impression is even problems we aren't even aware of at the time.
    tulc(finds this to be a little disturbing) :sorry:

4. OldWiseGuy

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    If true I'd say it's very special. We might want to pay more attention to it. Americans have generally unhealthy immune systems which might account for the high infection rate.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  5. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+2,775
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

Forget the immune system.

I heard from a highly placed, very stable genius, that Corvid 19 can be easily sorted with a Dettol injection and a 10 minute sunbake.

There are some minor side effects like poisoning and potential skin cancer but, apart from that, it works fine. ;)

OB

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Nicolaus Mourer

Nicolaus Mourer Call me Nic. Supporter

+1,592
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    In many patients, the immune system "over-reacts" in a way which leads to further complications, such as what's called "Cytokine storm." But generally, the immune system of any healthy person either younger or older should be able to defend itself against COVID. It's not talked about, but there have been many elderly patients who have recovered thus far.

7. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,061
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Private
    The immune system is incredibly important anyway, as is general gut health.

Incorporating plenty of vitamin c in to your diet is good, things like oranges or better yet, broccoli.

Stuff like Actimel shots or other probiotics are also great.

8. muichimotsu

muichimotsu I Spit On Perfection

+674
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I mean, it can make it easier to deal with, but the major problem is the immunocompromised and more vulnerable populations not being able to deal with it when someone, who may be asymptomatic, gets them infected unknowingly because of how the viral load is initially high and makes the person highly infectious even if they show no symptoms.

Covid-19 is a particularly bad manifestation, but coronaviruses in general (which include the flu) have that pesky aspect of being able to spread even when the individual is not showing explicit symptoms, so the preventative measures are more about keeping a handle on things rather than trying to resist a virus that is not as predictable as we think in how it has mutated and become more dangerous to even people with healthy immune systems (like how you can have great security, but if someone is able to exploit it, then you've basically set yourself up for failure if you don't have backups in place (another lesson that was oddly appropriate from a series I'm almost done with, where a security system was exploited because it had a failsafe that could counter it, a lesson about being too overdependent on technology for security)

9. Monksailor

Monksailor Adopted child of God. Supporter

+432
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, I would agree that is true if one is only concerned about themselves and not concerned about the spread of it to ones with compromise4d immune systems or other deficiencies/sicknesses. One could argue that the virus is good for the species as a medium to allow natural selection to sift out the weak and sick. One could be a deranged, sociopath, also.

10. OldWiseGuy

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Whether or not one is deranged or a sociopath nature will have it's way. :eek:

11. OldWiseGuy

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Shouldn't that prompt us to take better care of our immune systems, so we can defeat the virus and therefore not infect others?

12. OldWiseGuy

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  13. Monksailor

Monksailor Adopted child of God. Supporter

+432
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I am so glad that is an erroneous farce.

14. OldWiseGuy

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    ?

15. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+9,166
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Yes and no. A healthy immune system is generally a good defense against disease, but an overly aggressive immune response can be dangerous unto itself. If the immune system is too aggressive, the release of white blood cells can actually damage the body: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/21176...eaths-china-treatment-cytokine-storm-syndrome

During a cytokine storm, an excessive immune response ravages healthy lung tissue, leading to acute respiratory distress and multi-organ failure. Untreated, cytokine storm syndrome is usually fatal. Patients in other studies who developed cytokine storm syndrome after viral triggers often ironically possessed subtle genetic immune defects resulting in the uncontrolled immune response.
    In another pandemic (Spanish flu) it was this sort of overly aggressive immune response which led to the deaths of primarily young adults compared to other demographics: Spanish flu - Wikipedia

16. muichimotsu

muichimotsu I Spit On Perfection

+674
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    It's not that simple, even if you are fighting it and would appear healthy, there is the thing called viral load that affects how you will still be infectious to others, especially early on when you may not show ANY symptoms, which is why social distancing is important until we have better testing protocol to determine whether you are effectively safe and won't infect immunocompromised or high risk groups

Some people cannot really do much, they are immunocompromised and there's nothing that can be done, especially with HIV/AIDS, which is a pandemic most people, myself included, don't realize is a pandemic, just not epidemic level anymore.

And we're not even certain the virus only has one strain in terms of immunity, one could beat one version of common flu and still catch another, that's virology 101

17. OldWiseGuy

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    So a poorly functioning immune system would be best?

18. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+9,166
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Not what I suggested at all.

19. OldWiseGuy

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    So it would be better if we got sick faster and more severely so we could save others from being infected by us?

20. OldWiseGuy

+8,328
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    What do you suggest?