Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are too many variables to be able to give an answer that would apply in every case, every time.

I do know that I grew up in an emotionally abusive environment, and if some member of my birth family were to speak to me in an ugly way nowadays, my husband would not remain silent. He wouldn't argue about it. He'd just ask that person to please leave our house, and he'd offer them some friendly advice about where they shouldn't let the door hit them on the way out. Whether or not I want to go meet a family member somewhere other than at our house, even knowing that they treat me that way, is up to me, but this house is a drama free zone. He's not going to tolerate anybody mistreating me in our house.

There are some situations in which someone *might* bite their lip and not say anything. That would be mostly in extreme circumstances, though, like someone having a serious mental health breakdown and there is a very real threat of violence. In that case, the best thing to do is call the proper authorities and let the experts handle it.

Of course, you might want to make allowances for your 95-year-old Grandpa who has Alzheimer's, or your Uncle Martin who has schizophrenia, who are shouting random obscenities, if they don't know what they're saying and can't help it. That's if you can tolerate being around that kind of behavior. Because of my own PTSD, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

So yes, a lot of different factors.

Upvote 0

OJR

Weirdo
Jan 24, 2017
United States
✟8,313.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He should defend her in a firm and calm manner if the abuse happens in front of them. The husband should then talk to his wife about his own personal boundaries in the situation. Then, confront the abusers with said boundaries.

Ex: "I'm very uncomfortable being around your family when they treat you like that. If it happens again, I'm going to have to excuse myself from the gathering. If it happens often, I can't have a relationship with your family. I love you very much and want you to be happy and healthy, so I can't sit back watching them treat you like that. While I'd like if we were a united front on this, please feel free to set your own ground rules when it comes to their behavior."

B. is literally emotional abuse, IMHO. I wouldn't want to be married to someone who would think that way.

Forgiveness isn't shutting your mouth or ignoring poor behavior. It's something that happens inside, to make peace with what happened and God. Forgiving does not mean allowing the abuse, staying around the abusers, or just throwing it under the rug.

Individual therapy might be a good start for a wife in this situation, or maybe pastoral counseling. She might have some very messed up views on relationships that might need to be worked through so she can set up healthy boundaries with her family.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi all,

So if a wife is subject to mistreatment and verbal abuse from her own family what is the husband suppose to do?

A. Defend her

B. Tell her to keep quiet and keep forgiving

C. Or both?
Support her to gain the confidence to tell them to get lost.

White knighting can be very undermining for low confidence individuals.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He should defend you as nicely as he can. If they want to argue then cut ties for awhile. He should obviously also comfort you. And of course pray for forgiveness even though the family is in the wrong, we can hold bad feelings inside towards them. As christian we really have to not do that as we are to be like Christ. Not that its easy mind you.

My mom and wife are getting along WAY better now. But my wife still sometimes when she hears my mom "bark" at my dad, she feels annoyed. It sticks with you awhile. Thankfully we have found somewhere to move to be away from the family.

Reactions: OJR
Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Stand by your wife.
Right or wrong, stand by her.

Just personally this is what I'd do.
Cause when they speak like that to her, they speak like that to you as well.
Don't stand idly by while she's getting verbally abused by her own blood.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is very important that a husband should support his wife, afterall he got married to her and not to her family. Genesis 2. 24: "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." I am sure this is probably also about her parents too?

By being quiet as a husband during the times where the wife's family is tearing her down with verbal abuse and mistreatment, then he is just being a weak type of husband. A true husband would defend his wife, and not letting them continue disrespecting her. He is also supposed to protect her, not to let her stand in this all by herself.

Upvote 0

Rachel07

Refineme
Feb 4, 2017
Australia
✟9,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your replies.

My husband hates confrontations and prefers to give the old forgive them. I often tell him, I can but staying silent isn't the answer. His got to man up and defend me! I've gone as far as called him a coward because he won't say anything! But it causes resentment in me. It's all and well to forgive and its concept is not at all wrong, but I don't know what much more I can do to get him to stand up for me.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your replies.

My husband hates confrontations and prefers to give the old forgive them. I often tell him, I can but staying silent isn't the answer. His got to man up and defend me! I've gone as far as called him a coward because he won't say anything! But it causes resentment in me. It's all and well to forgive and its concept is not at all wrong, but I don't know what much more I can do to get him to stand up for me.

I think it also depends on what his own background in his own family is like, how he was raised up, e.t.c...? It isn't always very easy for someone who was raised up in a more common family situation to understand someone who grew up in a dysfunctional family, or he may come from a similiar family himself but still being in bondage and not daring to confront anyone?

I also grew up in a dysfunctional family, and my husband did understand I thought it was very difficult but didn't get it fully untill one time when we experienced my parents ordering a ticket the very same day they felt as he approved them for visiting us just a few weeks away, my husband was very tired at this point and didn't give away a clear answer back to them, he just said that if they could stay at his parents place it might be fine for them to come visiting, but there were no talk about which date they had in mind. And he first wanted to talk to me, but the next day when they called us again and I told them it didn't fit for us for them coming over, they had already ordered the plane tickets. My parents in-law thought that we had already approved of them for coming, this was how my parents made it seem like when calling them, so everything got quite chaotic since my parents in-law heard a different version than what my husband had said to my parents.

And my husband got very shocked learning that they were coming over for a visit just a few weeks away, it didn't really fit with how his work schedule was, but my parents just wanted to order tickets straight away, probably also because they knew that I wasn't afraid of putting them into place as well as putting down boundaries for us. So then they needed to ask a "trick" question for him as their way of approval, as well as not wait for him to ask me first before deciding on this. I remember I wasn't too suprised as they have done this before, but I also felt very disrespected by them. At this time my husband started understanding better how my parents are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

So if a wife is subject to mistreatment and verbal abuse from her own family what is the husband suppose to do?

A. Defend her

B. Tell her to keep quiet and keep forgiving

C. Or both?

The husband is to protect his wife. If that means keeping her away from her abusive family, then so be it. If you are a Christian, God said you will be hated by the world, but that does not mean He said go out and intentionally put yourself in abusive situations. There is forgiveness and there is wisdom.

Priorities in a Christian home for the husband:

1. God
2. Wife
3. Kids
4. Church family
5. Remaining family (his parents, his siblings, his aunts/uncles, etc)
6. The rest of the world.

Priorities or the wife:

1. God
2. Husband
3. Kids
4. Church family
5. Remaining family (his parents, his siblings, his aunts/uncles, etc)
6. The rest of the world.

Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if dysfunction is the correct word for how I was raised or not. But confrontational certainly comes to mind. Her family is a strange cross of full, out dysfunction combined with fine, top shelf people. Before I found Christ (the first seven years we were married) I didn't care about anything or anyone enough to get involved. She dealt with her family, I exploded at mine. In the last six years (and counting) I've gotten pretty protective of her, which has caused me to step in it a time or two. I am a calm, pretty easy going guy with Christ in my heart. But I still have that old German temper and my former self can still rare his ugly head if my bride is being mistreated. I don't blow my stack like I once did, but I have a sometimes loud, robust voice that really captures attention. Couple that with confidence I attained by the nightly blow up I grew up with, and I can accidently white night a situation. And I have a few times. But I'm learning. For the most part, our circle has grown smaller and smaller as we've weeded unreasonable people from our lives. For the most part,mid someone is so behaving, she and I will discuss it in private and come to a mutual decision that person is toxic and therefore brings nothing positive to our world. Such people have no place in our world and are removed. Right or wrong, that's how we do it.

Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do wish to add a scenario I was talking about with a friend recently. His wife's father is an abusive drunk who shows up at family functions intoxicated and openly calls his daughters names such as bxxxh, whxxe, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], tramp, exc. I asked him in what world is this behavior acceptable? He said she doesn't know any different and refused to say (or allow him to say) anything about it. I thought about it a good bit and haven't said anything to him (yet). But I think this situation warrants some white knighting. I would not want my wife to go there without me, but I wouldn't allow anyone to talk to her that way. I'm not so sure I could let that go without showing him the digestibility of his teeth. (I get a little mad as I type this) If she finds this acceptable, she likely needs some kind of counciling and definitely needs to sever ties with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your replies.

Rachel sometimes you need to accept the fact that people may never have the gifts you need them to have. I'm not saying it is easy, but it also is what it is.

Whether it's your family - or his - that is being cruel you need to learn some boundaries. Leave the circumstance even if he won't leave with you. Let him marinate in that uncomfortable circumstance. It's his choice, and your choice is to find calm. I wouldn't invite them over if you left with having to ask them to leave - unless you are that strong. Not having them there is a boundary as well under the circumstances. It's not dishonoring anything, but doing what is healthy.

I understand the resentment, but calling for manning up or coward, etc won't help anything. It could push him further into his shell if anything. That's why you need to do what is best for you under those circumstances, but do give him the head's up out of consideration. You are doing what is best for you mentally, and he needs to sit in what is left if he can't find a way to deal with you using the boundaries that are healthy. You might even show him - by your example - how it won't kill him to do this for himself. Some people do get that scared to NOT stand up for themselves or others. It's not that unusual. After he is left alone to deal with the aftermath (if you leave) he might even consider changing things. If he doesn't? That's on him. Remember you don't have to put yourself in that circumstance at all. No one is going to die if you don't.

Upvote 0

OceanPoet87

Husband 'N Wifi
Feb 7, 2012
Near Lewiston, ID
✟13,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It honestly depends on the situation. I think in ours, my wife would hold it together in the moment and later (once she has processed everything) would tell me how hurt she felt. We would then talk and once taking her temp, it would go from there. Though I think in the moment, I would jump in to defend (but with the in-laws you have to learn how your wife/husband feel about it first).

Upvote 0