Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is clear the Holy Spirit has the functional characteristics of a person.
So I am not questioning whether or not he’s a person.
I am questioning what exactly is our family relation with the Holy Spirit?

God is our Father and we are his children.
Jesus is our husband and we are his bride.

We have clear family relations with the Father and the Son.
But what exactly is our family relation with the Holy Spirit?
Is he our brother, our uncle, our cousin, or is he just a really good friend?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Trinity is our Father and Jesus His Son, and the Holy Spirit. So, if this is a family image, who would the Holy Spirit be?

In a family, usually you do not have a father and son and brother or cousin or uncle, right or close friend in the basic makeup of a family.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Please try to break the habit of thinking of the three persona of the Trinity as three separate individuals. Or as a committee. Or as a family, being analogous to human families. The word (person) in this case does not mean that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Jesus is also our brother. (Hebrews 2:11)

We are part of God's household. (Ephesians 2:19)

We are in fellowship with the Holy Spirit (2 Corinthians 13:14)

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ and the Spirit of the Father, and he dwells in the believer. (Romans 8:9-11)

Beyond that it hasn't been revealed.

Reactions: Gl3nn
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Beyond that it hasn't been revealed.
That's right. We cannot fully comprehend, with our Earthly intellects, the exact nature of God. What we can do is guard against committing to some false description.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Comforter...

• Agree
Reactions: Running2win
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"God is love," we have in 1 John 4:8&16. And there are the Father and Son and Holy Spirit who are of this one love; meanwhile humans can tend to be very separate in how they are and each one's way of loving; but our Father and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all of one love.

And "Father" and "Son" are names of family love-Persons; so this would indeed mean to me that God is about personal and family sharing and caring . . . though humans can tend not to be this way, to say the least.

And the Holy Spirit takes care of us who are God's children, and the Holy Spirit prepares us for our Groom Jesus. These are family love functions. So, I can see this means the Holy Spirit is of family caring and sharing love . . . not only unconditional love which is impersonal and from some a distance. Yes, God loves us unconditionally, but in us. And this love has us become all-loving with personal caring, not distant impersonal and theoretical concern for people.

And this is important for us to know, since God is our example to follow >

"Therefore be imitators of God as dear children." (Ephesians 5:1)

The Holy Spirit in us is so personal with us; so this is part of why I understand He is a Person . . . of "love" > not merely a doctrinal concept. But, of course, God is all three. But I understand the love application is important. This is not merely a doctrinal explanation concern.

So, actually, you are not asking for a doctrinal explanation, but possibly you know we can personally relate with the Holy Spirit. So - - - I offer how the Holy Spirit takes care of God's children, plus He is preparing us for our Groom Jesus.

And the Holy Spirit shares God's own love with us "in our hearts" >

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

And, of course, this love is more and better than we can explain and understand, but we actually do experience God personally sharing His own love with us > "in our hearts", our Apostle Paul does say. So, the Holy Spirit is God so personally sharing with us, right "in our hearts". So, this is involved in personally relating with the Holy Spirit . . . very personally and intimately if this is "in our hearts".

And there are scriptures which can feed us how to be and to love, so we are living in this love >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

and this is in sharing with one another who are God's family >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

And, right before this scripture we are told not to grieve the Holy Spirit > Ephesians 4:30. So, yes it is possible to relate with the Holy Spirit, by grieving Him. I now see how things which can grieve Him are listed in the next verse > "bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking" and "all malice". And the next verse could help us see how unforgiveness or impersonal and unloving forgiveness can grieve the Holy Spirit.

Plus, you can read and feed on Philippians 2:13-16 where our Apostle Paul says to do "all things without complaining and disputing" > so there is arguing and complaining which is also anti-Holy Spirit, not relating well with Him but grieving Him.

So . . . I offer you > the Holy Spirit is the One who in us has us living in God's own love, and this love has us relating as His family with Him and one another, plus this includes how God's love in us has us forgiving each other "even as God", because God in us shares this with us, by means of His Holy Spirit.

And the Holy Spirit changes us so we are more and more like Jesus, so we love like Jesus > 2 Corinthians 3:17-18. This prepares us for our Groom, so we are compatible with Him so we are ready to spend eternity with Him and one another. Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart", we have in Matthew 11:29. And so, His love in us has us relating gently and humbly with one another, the way the Holy Spirit of this love has us relating >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

All of God's word can help us with this; so I have only given you a few basics. Trust God to do all He knows this means, with you :) And He has leaders and others who are His "examples" (1 Peter 5:3) of this, to minister this to us, so we can discover with one another as family. So, be blessed to share with others so you are helping each other.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am questioning what exactly is our family relation with the Holy Spirit?...

Maybe it would be good to start with question, what is spirit generally. I have understood that spirit is like attitude. For example, team spirit, is kind of attitude that makes team members to act better for the team. Bible tells Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth, that leads to truth. I understand it means, when person has the spirit of truth, he has mindset that makes him to think certain way that leads to truth.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13

At the moment I don’t know any Biblical reason to call Holy Spirit a person.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please try to break the habit of thinking of the three persona of the Trinity as three separate individuals. Or as a committee. Or as a family, being analogous to human families. The word (person) in this case does not mean that.
What, then, does it mean?

Does the Holy Spirit have a mind of his own?
Can he think from his own mind?
Can he speak from his own mind?
Can he have a conversation with the Father and Son from his own mind?

The Father does have a mind of his own, and so does the Son.
The Son prays to the Father, and the Father answers the Son.

Does the Holy Spirit speak to the Father?
Does the Father answer the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is that a family term?

It's something mother's and father's both do, siblings as well. so it's a familial action... He is like our conduit on earth, direct access to the Throne via the Spirit of God/Christ.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It's hard to answer that when it's worded so as to suggest three independent entities.

Our God is one...even if triune. Knowing that, we can safely say that there is nothing that any of the three does not know but which the others do.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You are mind body and soul in one body. These are three distinct things that make or equal 1 person...

Think of the Trinity in those terms. There is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Distinct, yet 1 God.

They have the same will, and none speak anything separate from any other... the Son proceeds from the Father who speaks nothing that is not from the Father, and the Spirit proceeds from the Son and again speaks nothing of His own, yet they equal 1 God, much like your mind, body, and soul equals 1 you.

Yet unlike you, are always in perfect accord, perfect harmony of will even though they are distinct One from Another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"God is love," we have in 1 John 4:8&16. And there are the Father and Son and Holy Spirit who are of this one love; meanwhile humans can tend to be very separate in how they are and each one's way of loving; but our Father and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all of one love.

And "Father" and "Son" are names of family love-Persons; so this would indeed mean to me that God is about personal and family sharing and caring . . . though humans can tend not to be this way, to say the least.

And the Holy Spirit takes care of us who are God's children, and the Holy Spirit prepares us for our Groom Jesus. These are family love functions. So, I can see this means the Holy Spirit is of family caring and sharing love . . . not only unconditional love which is impersonal and from some a distance. Yes, God loves us unconditionally, but in us. And this love has us become all-loving with personal caring, not distant impersonal and theoretical concern for people.

And this is important for us to know, since God is our example to follow >

"Therefore be imitators of God as dear children." (Ephesians 5:1)

The Holy Spirit in us is so personal with us; so this is part of why I understand He is a Person . . . of "love" > not merely a doctrinal concept. But, of course, God is all three. But I understand the love application is important. This is not merely a doctrinal explanation concern.

So, actually, you are not asking for a doctrinal explanation, but possibly you know we can personally relate with the Holy Spirit. So - - - I offer how the Holy Spirit takes care of God's children, plus He is preparing us for our Groom Jesus.

And the Holy Spirit shares God's own love with us "in our hearts" >

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

And, of course, this love is more and better than we can explain and understand, but we actually do experience God personally sharing His own love with us > "in our hearts", our Apostle Paul does say. So, the Holy Spirit is God so personally sharing with us, right "in our hearts". So, this is involved in personally relating with the Holy Spirit . . . very personally and intimately if this is "in our hearts".

And there are scriptures which can feed us how to be and to love, so we are living in this love >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

and this is in sharing with one another who are God's family >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

And, right before this scripture we are told not to grieve the Holy Spirit > Ephesians 4:30. So, yes it is possible to relate with the Holy Spirit, by grieving Him. I now see how things which can grieve Him are listed in the next verse > "bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking" and "all malice". And the next verse could help us see how unforgiveness or impersonal and unloving forgiveness can grieve the Holy Spirit.

Plus, you can read and feed on Philippians 2:13-16 where our Apostle Paul says to do "all things without complaining and disputing" > so there is arguing and complaining which is also anti-Holy Spirit, not relating well with Him but grieving Him.

So . . . I offer you > the Holy Spirit is the One who in us has us living in God's own love, and this love has us relating as His family with Him and one another, plus this includes how God's love in us has us forgiving each other "even as God", because God in us shares this with us, by means of His Holy Spirit.

And the Holy Spirit changes us so we are more and more like Jesus, so we love like Jesus > 2 Corinthians 3:17-18. This prepares us for our Groom, so we are compatible with Him so we are ready to spend eternity with Him and one another. Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart", we have in Matthew 11:29. And so, His love in us has us relating gently and humbly with one another, the way the Holy Spirit of this love has us relating >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

All of God's word can help us with this; so I have only given you a few basics. Trust God to do all He knows this means, with you :) And He has leaders and others who are His "examples" (1 Peter 5:3) of this, to minister this to us, so we can discover with one another as family. So, be blessed to share with others so you are helping each other.
Thank you.

I do agree the Holy Spirit loves us and takes care of us.

But is the Holy Spirit our family, since no family term is given to him as is given to the Father and Son.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

The Holy Spirit is our Bridegroom. The Father and Jesus sealed us with The Holy Spirit while we wait for our wedding, our corruption to put on incorruption. Yes we are all the family of God through The Holy Spirit. So yes He is our family. He is our Everlasting Father. Our Emmanuel, God with us. He is also our Savior, our King Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe it would be good to start with question, what is spirit generally. I have understood that spirit is like attitude. For example, team spirit, is kind of attitude that makes team members to act better for the team. Bible tells Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth, that leads to truth. I understand it means, when person has the spirit of truth, he has mindset that makes him to think certain way that leads to truth.
Interesting.

Is that the same as a person being in a good spirit, or good attitude, or good mood?
However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13
Those scriptures are very revealing, as does the verses that follow:

13 However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever things he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you the things that are coming. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take from what is mine, and will declare it to you. 15 All things whatever the Father has are mine; therefore I said that he takes of mine, and will declare it to you. (John 16:13-15)

The Holy Spirit does not speak from himself, nor give from himself, nor does anything from himself; he only expresses what he receives from the Father and Son to express.
At the moment I don’t know any Biblical reason to call Holy Spirit a person.
But the Holy Spirit does have the functional characteristics of a person: he sees, and hears, and commands, and is grieved.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Holy Spirit is our Bridegroom.
Isn't' Jesus the Bridegroom who marries the bride?

Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. (Revelation 19:7)

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Isn't' Jesus the Bridegroom who marries the bride?

Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. (Revelation 19:7)
Yes Jesus, The Father, and The Holy Spirit are one, we become one with them through God's Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Jesus says He Loves the Father and the Father loves Him and loves us. Jesus says "I will ask the Father"..
But Jesus never talks about Love between Himself and the Holy Spirit or between the Holy Spirit and the Father nor does He ask the Holy Spirit any request. Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father but not at the left hand of the Holy Spirit. In fact I don't find any place in the Bible where there is a throne next to the Father that is the throne of the Holy Spirit.

Not sure why that is.

He is a person but He does not manifest as a person -- rather as a dove, as tongues of fire,, etc. Maybe his entire essence is so far above our pay grade that it is right off the charts.

Instead of God's "family member" the Holy Spirit corresponds to "our spirit". Instead of being positioned as a family member He is described as analogous to our spirit within us.

1 Cor 2
10 For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes Jesus, The Father, and The Holy Spirit are one, we become one with them through God's Holy Spirit.

Are one in a way we cannot describe.

It is not the Father that is the baby in Bethlehem. It is not the Father that prays to the Father in John 17. It is not the Father that asks the Father "let this cup pass from Me - nevertheless not My will but Thy will be done"

Upvote 0