Is the Holy Spirit ever worshiped in Scripture?

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Adding to point of reproof for your thread is asking you how do you apply His words to mean?

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

By those 2 verses, did Jesus really meant that? He had testified of the Holy Spirit before and so why isn't He mentioned as another way to come to God the Father by?

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Did Jesus really needed to add that later part of that verse 23 to signify that the only way to honor the Father was by only honoring the Son? There is no other way. We cannot honor the Father by honoring the Holy Spirit since the Spirit of Christ in us would never lead us to put Himself in the spotlight in the worship service but visiting spirits of the antichrist would.
What are your thoughts on the following two songs? The first is "Glorify Thy Name":

Father, we love You
We worship and adore You
Glorify Thy Name in all the earth

Jesus, we love You
We worship and adore You

Spirit, we love You
We worship and adore You

The second is an excerpt from "All Creatures Of Our God And King":

Praise, praise the Father praise the Son
And praise the Spirit three in one
Oh, praise Him
Oh, praise Him
Alleluia
Alleluia
Alleluia

Would either or both of these hymns be wrong to sing, in your view? Thanks for discussing this with me.

Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
That may be true; I'm not sure. Perhaps, could this be considered a "request" to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, perhaps indirectly since the second person (i.e., the ones addressed, the "you") would be the Corinthians?

Since Paul is writing to the church, I'd say it cannot be a prayer given to God, but that is not to say that apart from writing that letter, he was not praying for that church, hoping for their good in the Lord.

Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
What are your thoughts on the following two songs? The first is "Glorify Thy Name":

Father, we love You
We worship and adore You

Jesus, we love You
We worship and adore You

Spirit, we love You
We worship and adore You

The second is an excerpt from "All Creatures Of Our God And King":

Praise, praise the Father praise the Son
And praise the Spirit three in one
Oh, praise Him
Oh, praise Him
Alleluia
Alleluia
Alleluia

Would either or both of these hymns be wrong to sing, in your view? Thanks for discussing this with me.

Since convicted by His words for how the Father wants me to honor Him by and that is by only honoring the Son, I had stopped singing that first song. Not familiar with the second one, but the same applies.

Scripture testify what the Holy Spirit in me has been sent to do; to testify of the Son thru me ( John 15:26-27 ) to glorify the Son ( John 16:14 ). The Holy Spirit will not lead me to honor the Father in any other way when that is the standard of judgment over every believer ( John 5:22-23 ). This is the mind of Christ Paul was stressing us to have in worship in order to glorify God the Father by His Son; Philippians 2:5-13

That is why there are no scripture teaching the practice of worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son. There are scripture testifying to the Holy Spirit as God and One of the 3 Witnesses within the Godhead, but scripture specifically told us how to come to God the Father in anything, worship, fellowship & prayer and that is through His son and if we seek to truly honor the Father, we need to honor only the Son as the Spirit in us & scripture is leading us to do.

It was the modified Nicene creed of 381 A.D. that introduced the unBiblical practice at the expense of scripture telling us how the Father wants us to come to Him by John 14:6 and how we are to honor Him by. John 5:22-23 We need to take heed to His words in these latter days where faith is hard to find.

Upvote 0

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since convicted by His words for how the Father wants me to honor Him by and that is by only honoring the Son, I had stopped singing that first song. Not familiar with the second one, but the same applies.

Scripture testify what the Holy Spirit in me has been sent to do; to testify of the Son thru me ( John 15:26-27 ) to glorify the Son ( John 16:14 ). The Holy Spirit will not lead me to honor the Father in any other way when that is the standard of judgment over every believer ( John 5:22-23 ). This is the mind of Christ Paul was stressing us to have in worship in order to glorify God the Father by His Son; Philippians 2:5-13

That is why there are no scripture teaching the practice of worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son. There are scripture testifying to the Holy Spirit as God and One of the 3 Witnesses within the Godhead, but scripture specifically told us how to come to God the Father in anything, worship, fellowship & prayer and that is through His son and if we seek to truly honor the Father, we need to honor only the Son as the Spirit in us & scripture is leading us to do.

It was the modified Nicene creed of 381 A.D. that introduced the unBiblical practice at the expense of scripture telling us how the Father wants us to come to Him by John 14:6 and how we are to honor Him by. John 5:22-23 We need to take heed to His words in these latter days where faith is hard to find.
Hm, I'm not sure if these points are all true, but neither am I sure they're all false, either. I'll have to think on these things.

• Prayers
Reactions: Hark
Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hm, I'm not sure if these points are all true, but neither am I sure they're all false, either. I'll have to think on these things.

You can always take it to Jesus Christ at that throne of grace in prayer for wisdom & discernment.

• Friendly
Reactions: Kilk1
Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
That was the only one that came to mind. It isnt that the Spirit isnt mentioned in hymns, but rather that the Spirit does not stand on His own.

When we consider the scripture on how the Holy Spirit will speak; not from Himself, but He only speaks what He hears, then with Christ ascended with all power given unto Him, everything the Spirit does in words, gifts, fruits, & ministry, the Spirit gives that credit & glory to the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:.....11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Jesus had warned that false prophets will broaden the way...

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Could the modified Nicene creed of 381 A.D. be the ecumenical means by how most of the churches have gone astray? There is no denying that the Holy Spirit is God and One of the 3 Witnesses within the Godhead, but that is why there are no scripture teaching the practice of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son because the father provided only one way to come to Him and that is by the only way provided; His Son; no exception is given.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If there be any doubt that the Father only wats us to honor Him by only honoring the Son in worship, it is revealed here when a believer stops honoring the Son, then they are no longer honoring the Father.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Since the Holy Spirit is sent to dwell in us since salvation testify of the Son thru us ( John 15:26-27 ) in seeking His glory ( John 16:14 ) then the Holy Spirit will not lead believers in any other way in worship.

Paul stressed this obedience in his absence in having this mind of Christ in worship Philippians 2:5-13

Most believers & churches have overlooked the scriptures testifying to why there are no scripture that teaches believers or churches to worship the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son since the Holy Spirit will only lead us to testify of the Son in seeking His glory in ministry & in worship to the glory of God the Father. Something to go before that throne of grace for help from Jesus to see this truth to depart from that iniquity, because I see a warning here from Jesus regarding this offense.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. 25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. 28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. 29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

Hopefully, the Lord has enabled me to share my concern for the body of Christ as I rely on Him to cause the increase.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello! Since the Holy Spirit is God, are there passages in the Bible where He is shown to be worshiped? If so, what passages could be shown as examples? Thank you!
My opinion is when you worship one, you are worshipping all three,.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Colossians 2:9
For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

• Winner
Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
My opinion is when you worship one, you are worshipping all three,.

Yet the Holy Spirit in us is sent to testify of the Son thru us ( John 15:26-27 ) to glorify the Son ( John 16:14 ) and that has to include worship as He will not lead us in any other way.

God the Father is glorified thru His Son; John 13:31-32

The judgment over every believer is by knowing the only way to honor he father is by only honoring the Son because when we stop honoring the Son, we are no longer honoring the Father. John 5:22-23

Therefore honoring the Holy Spirit is not honoring the Son and thus not honoring the Father. And more importantly, the Spirit of Christ would never lead a believer to do that but the spirit of the antichrist would as in instead of Christ or to be precise instead of the Son as they would take the spotlight off of the Son in worship by seducing believers into chasing after them to receive them for a sign, again and again and again thinking it is the Holy Spirit but it is not. 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 & 2 Corinthians 13:5 & 1 John 4:1-4 & 1 Timothy 4:1-2

Philippians 2:5-13 testify to the obedience to that mind of Christ we are to have in worship.

That is why there are no scriptures testifying to the practice of worshipping the Holy Ghost with the father & the Son but there are scriptures explaining why there are no scripture teaching believers to worship the holy Spirit with the Father and the Son by how the Father wants us to only honor Him by and how we can only come to Him by in worship by His Son. John 14:6 No other way or else an iniquity per John 10:1

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If I can ask another question, I've come across another hymn:

Gracious Spirit, Dwell with Me

Would this song qualify as worshiping the Holy Spirit, or does it fall below the threshold to which you'd have misgivings? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
ZH
✟68,436.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I can ask another question, I've come across another hymn:

Gracious Spirit, Dwell with Me

Would this song qualify as worshiping the Holy Spirit, or does it fall below the threshold to which you'd have misgivings? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Nowhere in any Biblical text do we find instances of the Holy Spirit being addressed, or worshipped separately - it's quite demonstrably an unbiblical practice.

Upvote 0

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nowhere in any Biblical text do we find instances of the Holy Spirit being addressed, or worshipped separately - it's quite demonstrably an unbiblical practice.
Wow, under this view, more songs are affected than I thought. What about this song, which sings against people who are only "almost" persuaded to Christianity?

“Almost persuaded” now to believe;
“Almost persuaded” Christ to receive;
Seems now some soul to say,
“Go, Spirit, go Thy way,
Some more convenient day
on Thee I’ll call.”

Does the assumption that an unrepentant sinner is essentially telling the Spirit to "go Thy way" until a "more convenient day," assume unbiblical theology, or is the song simply parallel to the Scriptural teaching that people, in sinning, can grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30)?

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
ZH
✟68,436.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, under this view, more songs are affected than I thought. What about this song, which sings against people who are only "almost" persuaded to Christianity?

“Almost persuaded” now to believe;
“Almost persuaded” Christ to receive;
Seems now some soul to say,
“Go, Spirit, go Thy way,
Some more convenient day
on Thee I’ll call.”

Does the assumption that an unrepentant sinner is essentially telling the Spirit to "go Thy way" until a "more convenient day," assume unbiblical theology, or is the song simply parallel to the Scriptural teaching that people, in sinning, can grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30)?

To me the hymn certainly seems to parallel the grieving of the HS when someone is sinning; yet calling upon the HS is something unknown to the Biblical texts, and we see official 'recognition' of the HS as an separate 'Lord' only in the creed from the First Council of Constantinople (381 CE); it is missing from the original Nicene Creed (325 CE).

If someone has quotes from early church fathers (< 250 CE) relating to the HS in this regard, I'd be happy to learn about it.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If someone has quotes from early church fathers (< 250 CE) relating to the HS in this regard, I'd be happy to learn about it.

Phos Hilaron (late 3rd century, so prior to Nicea)

O gracious Light,
pure brightness of the everliving Father in heaven,
O Jesus Christ, holy and blessed!

Now as we come to the setting of the sun,
and our eyes behold the vesper light,
we sing thy praises, O God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Thou art worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices,
O Son of God, O Giver of life,
and to be glorified through all the worlds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
ZH
✟68,436.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Phos Hilaron (late 3rd century, so prior to Nicea)

O gracious Light,
pure brightness of the everliving Father in heaven,
O Jesus Christ, holy and blessed!

Now as we come to the setting of the sun,
and our eyes behold the vesper light,
we sing thy praises, O God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Thou art worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices,
O Son of God, O Giver of life,
and to be glorified through all the worlds.

Thanks, though I can't see an explicit invocation of the HS separately here; the second stanza addresses 'God' in His entirety. And I just observed Wikipedia states its earliest mention may also be early 4th century.

Upvote 0

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To me the hymn certainly seems to parallel the grieving of the HS when someone is sinning; yet calling upon the HS is something unknown to the Biblical texts, and we see official 'recognition' of the HS as an separate 'Lord' only in the creed from the First Council of Constantinople (381 CE); it is missing from the original Nicene Creed (325 CE).

Thanks for answering! Would you be opposed to the song's having a person talk to the Holy Spirit, or are you fine with singing this hymn?

Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
No, God is.
Ge:1:1-2:
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form,
and void;
and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Ge:1:26-27:
And God said,
Let us make man in our image,
after our likeness:
and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea,
and over the fowl of the air,
and over the cattle,
and over all the earth,
and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God created he him;
male and female created he them.

Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"
We know that only God should be worshiped (see Exodus 34:14 and Revelation 22:9). Only God deserves worship. The question of whether we should worship the Holy Spirit is answered simply by determining whether the Spirit is God. If the Holy Spirit is God, then He can and should be worshiped.

Scripture presents the Holy Spirit as not merely a “force” but as a Person. The Spirit is referred to in personal terms (John 15:26; 16:7–8, 13–14). He speaks (1 Timothy 4:1), He loves (Romans 15:30), He chooses (Acts 13:2), He teaches (John 14:26), and He guides (Acts 16:7). He can be lied to (Acts 5:3–4) and grieved (Ephesians 4:30).

The Holy Spirit possesses the nature of deity—He shares the attributes of God. He is eternal (Hebrews 9:14). He is omnipresent (Psalm 139:7–10) and omniscient (1 Corinthians 2:10–11). He was involved in the creation of the world (Genesis 1:2). The Holy Spirit enjoys intimate association with both the Father and the Son (Matthew 28:19; John 14:16). When we compare Exodus 16:7 with Hebrews 3:7–9, we see that the Holy Spirit and Yahweh are the same (see also Isaiah 6:8 as compared to Acts 28:25).

Since the Holy Spirit is God, and God is “worthy of praise” (Psalm 18:3), then the Spirit is worthy of worship. Jesus, the Son of God, received worship (Matthew 28:9), so it stands to reason that the Spirit of God would also receive worship. Philippians 3:3 tells us that believers “worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus.” There is one God who eternally exists in three Persons. When we worship God, we naturally worship all three members of the Godhead.

How do we worship the Holy Spirit? The same way we worship the Father and the Son. Christian worship is spiritual, flowing from the inward workings of the Holy Spirit to which we respond by offering our lives to Him (Romans 12:1). We worship the Spirit by obedience to His commands. Referring to Christ, the apostle John explains that “those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us” (1 John 3:24). We see here the link between obeying Christ and the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, convicting us of our need to worship by obedience and empowering us to worship."

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
ZH
✟68,436.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"
We know that only God should be worshiped (see Exodus 34:14 and Revelation 22:9). Only God deserves worship. The question of whether we should worship the Holy Spirit is answered simply by determining whether the Spirit is God. If the Holy Spirit is God, then He can and should be worshiped.

Scripture presents the Holy Spirit as not merely a “force” but as a Person. The Spirit is referred to in personal terms (John 15:26; 16:7–8, 13–14). He speaks (1 Timothy 4:1), He loves (Romans 15:30), He chooses (Acts 13:2), He teaches (John 14:26), and He guides (Acts 16:7). He can be lied to (Acts 5:3–4) and grieved (Ephesians 4:30).

The Holy Spirit possesses the nature of deity—He shares the attributes of God. He is eternal (Hebrews 9:14). He is omnipresent (Psalm 139:7–10) and omniscient (1 Corinthians 2:10–11). He was involved in the creation of the world (Genesis 1:2). The Holy Spirit enjoys intimate association with both the Father and the Son (Matthew 28:19; John 14:16). When we compare Exodus 16:7 with Hebrews 3:7–9, we see that the Holy Spirit and Yahweh are the same (see also Isaiah 6:8 as compared to Acts 28:25).

Since the Holy Spirit is God, and God is “worthy of praise” (Psalm 18:3), then the Spirit is worthy of worship. Jesus, the Son of God, received worship (Matthew 28:9), so it stands to reason that the Spirit of God would also receive worship. Philippians 3:3 tells us that believers “worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus.” There is one God who eternally exists in three Persons. When we worship God, we naturally worship all three members of the Godhead.

How do we worship the Holy Spirit? The same way we worship the Father and the Son. Christian worship is spiritual, flowing from the inward workings of the Holy Spirit to which we respond by offering our lives to Him (Romans 12:1). We worship the Spirit by obedience to His commands. Referring to Christ, the apostle John explains that “those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us” (1 John 3:24). We see here the link between obeying Christ and the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, convicting us of our need to worship by obedience and empowering us to worship."

Your arguments depends on developed theology (and whether that is acceptable is another matter); yet I'd like to make two observations:
  • the OT/NT do not contain any instances where the Holy Spirit is addressed; do you happen to know the earliest example in Church history of believers addressing the Holy Spirit?
  • in the 21st century it is problematic from a linguistic point of view to refer the the Holy Spirit as a 'person' because any dictionary will tell you that a 'person' nowadays always refers to a human being, which cannot be true for the Holy Spirit. Neither is God the Father a person; as He also is a spirit.
I realise the word 'person' has of bit of history here in the Theological realm, but to use this word now for either the Father or the HS is incorrect and confusing any theological discourse. You probably can live with 'being' or something like that?

Upvote 0