Is the gospel more than 1 Corinthians 15:1-4?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing,

The gospel exclusively centers around the person of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I would lean towards Ro 1:16 in essence and 1 Cor15 in detail. I didn't fully understand the death, burial, and resurrection: atonement, justification and other details when I was saved. I believed in Jesus after reading the John's gospel multiple times. I experienced the power of God to salvation. God knows when we have genuine faith rather than a formula or gospel pill we swallowed. These could be combined, but genuine faith is needed.

"because (the gospel of his son Ro 1:9) is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes"

[Mat 24:14 NIV]... gospel of the kingdom

[Rom 15:19 NIV] ... the gospel of Christ.

[Rom 16:25 NIV] ... my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ

[1Co 15:2a NIV] By this gospel you are saved

[Eph 1:13 NIV] the gospel of your salvation.

[Eph 6:15 NIV] the gospel of peace.

[Phl 1:27 NIV] the gospel of Christ.

[1Th 3:2 NIV] gospel of Christ,

[2Th 1:8 NIV] the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

[2Ti 2:8 NIV] Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead,.... This is my gospel,

[1Pe 4:17 NIV] the gospel of God

[Rev 14:6 NIV] the eternal gospel.

I whole heartedly agree that the gospel centers around Jesus Christ. Thanks for sharing that.

Upvote 0

setst777

Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟350,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The gospel is clearly defined for us in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

But there are three aspects of the gospel that appear to teach that there is more to the gospel than just 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

#1. Galatians 2:14
Galatians 2:14 says, “But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?”

A person can walk not according to the truth of the gospel.

#2. Romans 2:16
Romans 2:16 says, “In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.”​

There will be a day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to the gospel.

This could potentially mean that Romans 1:16-17 may be in reference to refer how righteous living is also included in the gospel.

#3. Romans 1:16-17
Romans 1:16-17 says,
16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”​

When we live by faith, we are doing more than just believing God’s Word, but we are doing God’s Word (See Hebrews 11). For 1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light (i.e. to love our brother) the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin (See: 1 John 2:9-11 for the definition of walking in the light).​

Granted, I am not claiming to know with 100% certainty what Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16 are saying. But they appear to teach an aspect of the gospel that is not in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. The gospel means good news. So it is good news being presented in Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16. What is your take on these verses? Is your interpretation supported by the context? Can you point out other cross references to back it up, too? I am looking for clarity on these three verses in what they plainly say in the English (Preferably the KJB).

Thank you all, and may God bless you greatly.

Side Note:

I did not bring up the gospel of the kingdom because I believe that is in reference to Jesus Christ (Who is the head of the body or the kingdom).

Greetings,

The entire New Testament is the Gospel Revelation and Covenant in Christ Jesus.

Regarding 1 Corinthians 15:1-4...

The Apostle Paul was careful to state that he was referring to only one part of the entire Gospel Doctrine that he taught them ("of first importance NIV," or "first of all" WEB - verse 3). Paul was addressing part of the Gospel that concerned the topic of the resurrection of the dead.

If the part of the Gospel Paul was addressing as "first of all," then what else did Paul not mention here? You have to read the rest of the New Testament to find out.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (WEB)
1 Now I declare to you, brothers, the Good News which I preached to you, which also you received, in which you also stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold firmly the word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.

Blessings,
Steven

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

But there are three aspects of the gospel that appear to teach that there is more to the gospel than just 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

#1. Galatians 2:14
Galatians 2:14 says, “But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?”

A person can walk not according to the truth of the gospel.

#2. Romans 2:16
Romans 2:16 says, “In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.”​

There will be a day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to the gospel.

This could potentially mean that Romans 1:16-17 may be in reference to refer how righteous living is also included in the gospel.

#3. Romans 1:16-17
Romans 1:16-17 says,
16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”​

When we live by faith, we are doing more than just believing God’s Word, but we are doing God’s Word (See Hebrews 11). For 1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light (i.e. to love our brother) the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin (See: 1 John 2:9-11 for the definition of walking in the light).​

Granted, I am not claiming to know with 100% certainty what Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16 are saying. But they appear to teach an aspect of the gospel that is not in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. The gospel means good news. So it is good news being presented in Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16. What is your take on these verses? Is your interpretation supported by the context? Can you point out other cross references to back it up, too? I am looking for clarity on these three verses in what they plainly say in the English (Preferably the KJB).

Thank you all, and may God bless you greatly.

Side Note:

I did not bring up the gospel of the kingdom because I believe that is in reference to Jesus Christ (Who is the head of the body or the kingdom).

Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17-23) and the Mosaic Law is how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral part of the Gospel of the Kingdom, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to the nations (Matthew 24:12-14). The same goes for Acts 2:38 for how Peter’s audience knew what sin is when he told them to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins. In Romans 15:4, Paul said that OT Scripture is written for our instruction and in 15:18-19, his Gospel message involved bringing the Gentiles to obedience in word and in deed, so he was on the same page as Jesus about teaching repentance from our sins. Furthermore, Romans 10:16, 2 Thessalonians 1:8, and 1 Peter 4:17 all speak against those who do not obey the Gospel. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is what it looks like to believe everything in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (Acts 21:20). So yes, the Gospel does involve doing God's word, and the Mosaic Law is God's word (Deuteronomy 5:31-33).

Upvote 0

Magnanimity

Dec 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟17,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Hi there! I’m not sure I fully understand what makes verse 4 a natural stopping point. The entire chapter (all of 1 Cor 15) is a prolonged thought-sequence. It can be (sort of) divided into mini-sections, but each one naturally flows from the one before it. It’s a sustained reflection on the entirety of the gospel message.

The appearances are most certainly part of the gospel message—that he was raised from the dead and appeared to many others—even lastly to St Paul. Think of it this way. If you stop at v.4 and don’t continue to the appearances section, then your gospel is about Christ dying, being buried, then raised on the third day. And then what? Why do we think he was raised? Just because of an empty tomb? If that’s the whole message, then the body could have been stolen for all anyone knows. No, the appearances of the resurrected Christ are crucial to the message.

When the gospels record the risen Christ, we get a glimpse into the mystery of resurrection life—the new creation, since he is the first fruits of the resurrection. He is the beginning of the new created order! And we will eventually follow. That’s all part of the gospel.

Again, I don’t see how v.4 is any sort of natural stopping point. The appearances of the risen Christ are profoundly important. It wasn’t just an empty tomb. It was the first fruits of the new creation. The entire chapter is a totality—one sustained reflection on the gospel and the future of God’s creation.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

In regards to certain verses (below) that refer to the gospel: This would not be the case.

While Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16 appear to teach additional details for the gospel at first glance, this is simply not the case.

I was reading the context of Galatians 2:14 and Romans 2:16 and I figured it out in what they are saying. These are not different aspects (or new additional details) of the gospel being described in these verses. 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is still the gospel. The context of Galatians 2:14 is verse 16.

For Paul said,
“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.” (Galatians 2:16).

Peter and Barnabas were trying to be justified by the works of the Law of Moses by trying to compel the Gentiles to live as the Jews (See Galatians 2:14). So when Peter and Barnabas did not walk according to the truth of the gospel, it was in their trying to be justified by the Law.

As for Romans 2:16:
This also is dealing with those who are trying to be justified by the Law. Jesus will judge the secrets of men according to Paul’s revealed gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Which men? Those who are trying to be circumcised instead of trusting in Jesus.

Romans 2:26 says
“Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?”

Romans 3:1 says
“What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?”

Romans 1:16-17 is now an easy one to figure out. It is talking about Justification (Which is our Initial and Foundational Salvation). It is being saved by God’s grace without the works of the Law. For when a person accepts the gospel and is broken, they are changed. They will have a new heart with new desires. They will be guided by the Holy Spirit to obey God’s Word. To love God and others will truly be possible. But it is only by the gospel mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. It is only by God’s grace and mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Biblehighlighter brother hi again, thank you for being clear. Your Goal is to understand Romans 1:16-17; Romans 2:16; Galatians 2:14 in response of it pertaining to the Gospel?

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—the Jew first and also the Gentile. 17 This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.”

Walking in the spirit : You go from Romans 1 - 8. Romans 2 talks about people who are judgemental of others while confessing believer then it progresses from there talking about the spirit and living by it.

Romans 2:16 16 And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.

The day of death will come for each individual and every secret in the heart will be revealed.

Galatians 2:14
14 When I saw that they were not following the truth of the gospel message, I said to Peter in front of all the others, “Since you, a Jew by birth, have discarded the Jewish laws and are living like a Gentile, why are you now trying to make these Gentiles follow the Jewish traditions?

When you progress on down to verse 20 it starts talking about how Christ Jesus live with in us. Jesus Christ did say he would send the comforter. God send the holy spirit, and we also have the Spirit of Christ with-in us along with a spiritual body.

This message is also trying to make people follow Jewish traditions and put them back into slavery rather than the freedom found in Christ Jesus walking by the spirit of him with-in them.

I do not know everything but have studied the new testament a lot in my life. Just never finished books of acts.

so no connections? To help you obtain your goal of understanding?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
so no connections? To help you obtain your goal of understanding?

Unfortunately not. I just read the context on my own to get the answer I was seeking.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It should be know to not take verses out of context. If you read books fully all the New Testament books you will see what they all mean full and wholesomely. Only book I never finished in the New Testament was acts, it’s the fulfillment of things the apostles would suffer as predicted by Jesus in Matthew when talks about the dreaded things they would suffer about persecution. I don’t hold on to doctrines all that much and just tried to learn what most of the books had been saying. It is about the life, death, resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. Progressing in faith and trust towards God loving him, because he loved us, and loving others. We gain a new spiritual life walking by the spirit and The world becomes less and less worrisome as we trust and rely on God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It should be know to not take verses out of context. If you read books fully all the New Testament books you will see what they all mean full and wholesomely. Only book I never finished in the New Testament was acts, it’s the fulfillment of things the apostles would suffer as predicted by Jesus in Matthew when talks about the dreaded things they would suffer about persecution. I don’t hold on to doctrines all that much and just tried to learn what most of the books had been saying. It is about the life, death, resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. Progressing in faith and trust towards God loving him, because he loved us, and loving others. We gain a new spiritual life walking by the spirit and The world becomes less and less worrisome as we trust and rely on God.

I can say the same in regards to taking verses out of context, but we both cannot be right. The gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Period. Being born again is a result of a person obeying this gospel. The gospel is never defined as anything else other than 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Sure, there is grace in the gospel because it is called the gospel of grace. It is the gospel of peace. It is an eternal gospel. These are attributes of the gospel, but these would not be the defined details of what the gospel actually is. Getting the gospel correct is vitally important (See: Galatians 1:8). I don't want to go beyond what is written and define the gospel outside of what the Bible says plainly and clearly.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Biblehighlighter I respect you for however you decide to go about your own belief system, it’s been known for me to be very unorthodox. :p Thankful for the Lord Jesus Christ and his love, mercy, forgiveness, and love being the expressed image of God dying on the cross for all of us and our trespass against our Father. God raised him up again, and gives us new life, from the dead after being buried for three days. That when we believe there is no more condemnation for us as believers who trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. The mercy of God is what lead us to repentance, the renewing of our mind by the word of God and looking towards the light of all men Jesus Christ. What a great blessing it to have the scriptures that can allow us to be built up in the faith as we walk this earth and show our thankfulness to God and have joy, and peace in this world by the Holy Spirit that he gives to us now, from the simplicity of having faith. What a wonderful joy and experience that can be shared with others as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,848.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can say the same in regards to taking verses out of context, but we both cannot be right. The gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Period. Being born again is a result of a person obeying this gospel. The gospel is never defined as anything else other than 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Sure, there is grace in the gospel because it is called the gospel of grace. It is the gospel of peace. It is an eternal gospel. These are attributes of the gospel, but these would not be the defined details of what the gospel actually is. Getting the gospel correct is vitally important (See: Galatians 1:8). I don't want to go beyond what is written and define the gospel outside of what the Bible says plainly and clearly.

Gospel means good news.

God has various good news given to different audience during different time periods

God told Abraham the good news he will have many descendants like the stars of heaven and the sand in the shore in genesis 15

God told David the good news that a descendant from him will be ruling from his throne in 2 samuel 7

God told Israel the good news, after about 400 years of complete silence, that this descendant from David is finally here in the flesh, to usher them into that promised kingdom of heaven on earth in Luke 1

Finally after Israel the nation rejected the messiah for the final time by stoning Stephen, God announced to the whole world the good news thru the apostle Paul that, all of us, gentiles or Jews can be saved thru believing in Jesus death burial and resurrection (Romans 11:11, 1 Cor 15:1-4)

Upvote 0

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 Thessalonians 1:8 "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:"

The gospel must be obeyed else one be lost in flaming fire and from 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 the gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Christ. Since the gospel must be obeyed and the gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Christ, how does one obey the events of Christ's death burial and resurrection? Romans 6:3-6 when one is water baptized, the old man of sin "dies", one is "buried" with Christ by baptism and one is "raised up" to walk in newness of life. This death burial and resurrection does not take place at any time but at water baptism...no death burial or resurrection in faith only or in saying some kind of 'sinner's prayer'. Acts 2:41 "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:" The ones who were baptized were the ones who received the gospel as preached by Peter, those that rejected baptism were the one rejected the gospel message.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Biblehighlighter I respect you for however you decide to go about your own belief system, it’s been known for me to be very unorthodox. :p

Right, I don't adhere to the popular sin and still be saved Protestant view. Note: When I say “sin and still be saved" I am talking about how Protestants don't believe they lose their salvation when they fall into committing a grievous sin (i.e. mortal sin) before they get a chance to confess of such a sin to the Lord Jesus Christ (1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1). While many Protestants will say that they will not live a sinful lifestyle, they also contradict themselves and misinterpret 1 John 1:8 as saying that they are always in some kind of sin (But they never say what that sin is). So they believe they can sin and still be saved on some level. Many of them told me that King David was saved WHILE he committed his sins of adultery and murder. This is teaching others that they also can go out and do these sins and still be saved. Men like George Sodini had believed his Pastor that he could do horrible sins and be saved while doing so. So that is exactly what he did. George Sodini killed a bunch of people and then took his own life and wrote in his own suicide note that salvation did not depend on works and Jesus paid for all his future sins. So yes, my following of God's Word is unorthodox to the popular view of Christianity today.

You said:
Thankful for the Lord Jesus Christ and his love, mercy, forgiveness, and love being the expressed image of God dying on the cross for all of us and our trespass against our Father. God raised him up again, and gives us new life, from the dead after being buried for three days. That when we believe there is no more condemnation for us as believers who trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. The mercy of God is what lead us to repentance, the renewing of our mind by the word of God and looking towards the light of all men Jesus Christ. What a great blessing it to have the scriptures that can allow us to be built up in the faith as we walk this earth and show our thankfulness to God and have joy, and peace in this world by the Holy Spirit that he gives to us now, from the simplicity of having faith. What a wonderful joy and experience that can be shared with others as well.

God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12). But God does not force us to live holy against our will. Yes, He gives us a new heart with new desires, but we also have free will.

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

There is no more condemnation to those in Christ Jesus WHO WALK NOT AFTER THE FLESH BUT AFTER THE SPIRIT (Romans 8:1). For Romans 8:13 says if we live after the flesh, we will die (die spiritually), but if we put to death the misdeeds of the body by the Spirit, we will live (live eternally).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2 Thessalonians 1:8 "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:"

The gospel must be obeyed else one be lost in flaming fire and from 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 the gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Christ. Since the gospel must be obeyed and the gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Christ, how does one obey the events of Christ's death burial and resurrection? Romans 6:3-6 when one is water baptized, the old man of sin "dies", one is "buried" with Christ by baptism and one is "raised up" to walk in newness of life. This death burial and resurrection does not take place at any time but at water baptism...no death burial or resurrection in faith only or in saying some kind of 'sinner's prayer'. Acts 2:41 "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:" The ones who were baptized were the ones who received the gospel as preached by Peter, those that rejected baptism were the one rejected the gospel message.

After we are saved by God's grace (without the deeds of the Law alone), I believe Sanctification (living holy by God's power working in us) is the next step or stage in the salvation process (2 Thessalonians 2:13). Sanctification of the Spirit is the call of the gospel (2 Thessalonians 2:14), but it is not the gospel. I believe we obey the gospel by believing that Christ died for our sins, and that He was buried, and He was risen three days later on our behalf for salvation (i.e. that we will one day be saved in the bodily resurrection by the hope of what Christ did for us with His death, burial, and resurrection).

Paul says, “But they have not all obeyed the gospel.” (Romans 10:16).
This is in context to Israel being saved.

“Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved." (Romans 10:1).

The gospel that many Israelites did not receive was in accepting Jesus Christ and what He did for us with His death, burial, and resurrection.

As for baptism: I believe there was a transitional period of the apostles trying to catch up with God's new program vs. John the baptist's Old covenant way of water baptism. It was hard for the Jewish apostles to let go of the Old ways. It was not an overnight thing. Even the inclusion of the Gentiles was a new change that they had to learn and discover. While I am not against a believer wanting to water baptize, I believe the new form of baptism today is being baptized by the Holy Spirit, which can sometimes include the laying on of hands to receive the Spirit if a person did not naturally receive the Spirit (See: Acts of the Apostles 19:1-7 for the new change in God's program involving baptism).

Side Note:

I believe when we obey the gospel by believing that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen on our behalf for salvation, we will receive a new heart with new desires. We will receive the Holy Spirit. So we are given power to overcome grievous sin (i.e. mortal sin) in this life (Which I believe is a part of our Sanctification or salvation). But we must endure. We must do our part. God is not going to force salvation upon us. Anyways, I personally do not want to make assumptions on the gospel that are not clearly spelled out in the Bible point blank because of the warning given to us in Galatians 1:8.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God told Abraham the good news he will have many descendants like the stars of heaven and the sand in the shore in genesis 15

Yes, thank you. I was already thinking about Galatians 3:8 yesterday before I seen your post this morning.

“And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.” (Galatians 3:8).​

I think the heart of Abraham's descendants being like the stars of heaven is tied to us being the first fruits of the resurrection (Which is a part of believing the resurrection in the gospel). I see the gospel more clearly defined as 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, or 1 Corinthians 15:1-8. The fleshing out of details or the benefit of this good news can be seen in other parts of Scripture. But yes. The good news would include believers being like that of the stars of Heaven. So beautiful that truth is indeed. Surely that is good news that many will live when we all deserved to die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is the gospel more than 1 Corinthians 15:1-4?...

To me the Gospel is what Jesus taught and what was the reason he came on earth:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."
Luke 4:18-19

Upvote 0