The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's not about religion ..... it's about relationship with Jesus ... and one forms a relationship with Jesus by spending time with Him .... through prayer and through learning from His written Word that has the power to change the heart.

As @CryptoLutheran says, the way we have a relationship with Jesus is by being, according to the Epistle of St. Paul to the Corinthians, and other Epistles, grafted onto the Body of Christ by being born again through Baptism, and then entering into Communion with our Lord by partaking of His Flesh and Blood as He explained in John 6 (and in 1 Corinthians 11:27-34).

The Statement of Faith for ChristianForums includes the Nicene Creed, in which we confess a belief in “One holy catholic (universal) and apostolic Church,” which different Christians from different denominations define differently, that being the subject of Ecclesiology, but the Church is clearly defined in the New Testament.

Now some people like to say the Church is not a religion, as opposed to being the only true religion, and to a certain extent I sympathize with that, in that it is regrettable that Christianity is put in the same category as false belief systems like Islam and Buddhism. Although conversely, Atheists also embrace a false belief system, an absurd superstition, and get away without being labelled a religion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What's that, Lassie? It's not a religion, it's a relationship? Oh noooo! You mean to tell me that your ecclesiology and respect for God and the Church that He has established has fallen down into the bowels of the earth yet again?! Well okay...I suppose I can rally the townsfolk one more time to come help, but we really can't keep doing this. It's a waste of everyone's time, and sooner or later you are going to be expected to know better than comment such hackneyed tripe around serious people who believe in our religion and are not amenable to pop-culture repackagings of it that could just as easily be said by or about everyone from the Dalai Lama to Oprah, with virtually no change needing to be made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,214.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is incorrect. There is no "huge production". The term transubstantiation is merely an apt word to be used in explaining the real presence, it is not a formal definition of a fundamentally mysterious and miraculous process that God (the Holy Spirit) effects in the Holy Eucharist.

And the inevitable conclusions to which you refer are nothing more than the erroneous speculations of protestants offered up as a protestant attempt to ridicule the Holy Eucharist.
What evidence is there that any Protestants have ridiculed the Holy Eucharist?
We may not agree with some of the things you say, or practice; that does not mean that we do not follow, observe and love Holy Communion. It does not mean that we don't eat and drink Christ's body and blood, knowing that we are doing it in memory of him, as he said. It does not mean that we don't receive Christ in the elements and are blessed and strengthened by his Spirit.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
We may not agree with some of the things you say, or practice; that does not mean that we do not follow, observe and love Holy Communion. It does not mean that we don't eat and drink Christ's body and blood, knowing that we are doing it in memory of him, as he said. It does not mean that we don't receive Christ in the elements and are blessed and strengthened by his Spirit.

Unfortunately, while some Protestants such as Lutherans, such as my friends @MarkRohfrietsch and @ViaCrucis , and Anglo Catholics, and yourself, celebrate the Eucharist with utmost reverence, there historically have been some who have ridiculed it.

For example, the phrase “hocus pocus” was originally used by iconoclastic low church Protestants to mock the Roman Catholics and High Church Anglicans; the phrase is a distortion of the words of institution in Latin “Hoc est corpus meum” or “Hoc est enim corpus.”

Similar acts by members of the Radical Reformation such as Anabaptists in Germany infuriated Martin Luther, and rightly so.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟126,360.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jack Chick had death cookies; surely that is ridiculing the holy Eucharist.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,214.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, while some Protestants such as Lutherans, such as my friends @MarkRohfrietsch and @ViaCrucis , and Anglo Catholics, and yourself, celebrate the Eucharist with utmost reverence, there historically have been some who have ridiculed it.
That's sad.
For example, the phrase “hocus pocus” was originally used by iconoclastic low church Protestants to mock the Roman Catholics and High Church Anglicans; the phrase is a distortion of the words of institution in Latin “Hoc est corpus meum” or “Hoc est enim corpus.”
That's pretty outrageous.
Whether someone agrees with another denomination's practice or not, they have no right to mock, or belittle, their practices.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It might be - if I knew what that meant.
Jack Chick was a publisher of ridiculous cartoon tracts. You'll still find them being put on cars or in doctors offices or random places. "The Death Cookie" featured this:

1679415872446.png

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It might be - if I knew what that meant.

It means that you should thank the Lord that you have somehow managed to not be exposed to Jack Chick's inanity and horribleness. Maybe I'm showing my age here, but when I was younger, it seemed like his tracts were everywhere -- and I did not grow up on a heavily Evangelical environment, either (California), though I did go to a Baptist church for about a year at one point, so I know that his message was accepted by some in that community.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,214.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jack Chick was a publisher of ridiculous cartoon tracts. You'll still find them being put on cars or in doctors offices or random places. "The Death Cookie" featured this:

View attachment 329262
Oh; thanks.
I had a number of cartoon tracts when I was a teenager. I can't remember any of them now, but they were mostly along the lines of "if you don't accept Christ you'll go to hell/a fiery barbeque". I didn't know they were by Jack Chick.
I was amazed to find some of them being given out in my town, only recently.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,214.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It means that you should thank the Lord that you have somehow managed to not be exposed to Jack Chick's inanity and horribleness. Maybe I'm showing my age here, but when I was younger, it seemed like his tracts were everywhere -- and I did not grow up on a heavily Evangelical environment, either (California), though I did go to a Baptist church for about a year at one point, so I know that his message was accepted by some in that community.
Well if he wrote some of the cartoon tracts that I had as a teenager, I probably was. In fact, I gave a few of them out - unless they were particularly gruesome/disturbing/judgemental.

I read one recently - 40 years later - and wondered what I was thinking of. :blush1:

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As @CryptoLutheran says, the way we have a relationship with Jesus is by being, according to the Epistle of St. Paul to the Corinthians, and other Epistles, grafted onto the Body of Christ by being born again through Baptism, and then entering into Communion with our Lord by partaking of His Flesh and Blood as He explained in John 6 (and in 1 Corinthians 11:27-34).

The Statement of Faith for ChristianForums includes the Nicene Creed, in which we confess a belief in “One holy catholic (universal) and apostolic Church,” which different Christians from different denominations define differently, that being the subject of Ecclesiology, but the Church is clearly defined in the New Testament.

Now some people like to say the Church is not a religion, as opposed to being the only true religion, and to a certain extent I sympathize with that, in that it is regrettable that Christianity is put in the same category as false belief systems like Islam and Buddhism. Although conversely, Atheists also embrace a false belief system, an absurd superstition, and get away without being labelled a religion.
in that it is regrettable that Christianity is put in the same category as false belief systems

Christianity is following in the teachings of Jesus .... we are to follow in His steps .... He is our example.

His blood is referring to His death ... He died (shed HIs blood) so we may have life.

The church is the body of Christ—all the people who accept Christ's gift of salvation and follow Christ's teachings.

Romans 12:5,1 Corinthians 12:12–27, Ephesians 3:6, 4:15–16 and 5:23, Colossians 1:18 and 1:24. Jesus Christ is seen as the "head" of the body, which is the church, while the "members" of the body are seen as members of the Church.

Mark 10:45​

For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

It's all about Jesus and one's relationship with Him, those in Christ are His church.

Many beliefs out there ..... Catholicism is just another denomination ... a religion among many and just as others have different beliefs about many things.

No passage in the New Testament says that water baptism is essential for entering into heaven. Therefore, baptism is not necessary as a means of obtaining eternal life.

When Christians are baptized, we publicly declare our faith and obedience to Jesus. We are openly declaring our new found commitment to following Jesus. “I know I am a sinner in need of a Savior and I choose to be a follower of Christ today.”

Those in Christ is the true church and transcends earthly church systems .... it's a condition of the heart/mind and only God knows the heart/mind.

The main responsibility of the church (all believers) is to get the good news out about Jesus ... what people choose is up to them.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jack Chick managed to help convince me that Halloween was evil when I was a child, because his tracts were sold in our local Christian book store and I would read them when we went. My parents weren't anti-Halloween, so the year we handed out Chick Tracts instead of candy for Halloween was all because I convinced my parents.

In spite of my parents' warnings I imbibed a bit too much of the Fundamentalist Conspiracy Theory kool-aid in my adolescence, the stuff peddled by Jack Chick, Tex Marrs, and a few others. And it took me doing my own homework to realize just how insane that stuff was. And to realize that what people like Jack Chick were peddling was toxic and antichrist.

The great tragedy here is that there are many Christians who have, to varying degrees, believed the things these people said. While you won't find it here on CF too often, because the rules tend to filter the worst of the worst, out there in the big big world of Fundamentalist Protestantism there's no shortage of tales of Jesuit conspiracies to pervert the Bible, or how the Eucharist is actually some secret Egyptian or Babylonian mystery ritual that worships Nimrod or Ra.

Mr. Chick himself passed away a number of years ago, and I do pray that the Lord have mercy on his soul. But his legacy is one that is nothing short of the doctrine of demons.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some people claim that not viewing things the same way as they do - is to ridicule the entire doctrinal topic or to insult Mary or ...

Upvote 0