Is the epistle of James part of Christian Canon Scripture?

Should the Epistle of James be part of Christian Canon Scripture?

• I find the letter of James to be helpful but not Canon Scripture.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
NOTE: I have rewritten this post, after ones have already quoted it. The quotes of people below can be accurate, but not of how this post is now :)

Albion and Fire Dragon have indicated that I have misunderstood how certain groups understand having Canon Scripture.

I am asking, what were people's theological reasons for having any issue with the Epistle of James being inspired?

And I hope that we will discuss people's reasons.

Thank you :) And God bless you :)

Bill

Last edited:

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The misquoted & misunderstood Book of James

Who’s the writer? To whom is he writing?

James 1:1 James, a servant of God & of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the 12 tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting

Ok, James is the writer & he's writing to the 12 tribes of Israel. When James writes this epistle. The Temple in Jerusalem hasn't been destroyed & is operating in full swing.

James a Jew, is writing to Jews, BEFORE the Counsel at Jerusalem. James is preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom

The Gospel of the Kingdom was a collevtive message for God's chosen people = The Nation Of Israel Only

James the 1/2 brother of Jesus, head of the Jerusalem assembly & moderator for the Counsel at Jerusalem (Acts 15)

Counsel at Jerusalem took place in 51 AD & is a key transitional inflection point in NT history. The book of James is written 2-12 years BEFORE the Counsel at Jerusalem.

Prior to John the Baptist, Jewish salvation (collectively) was based upon the Mosaic Law & the Levitical sacrifices. Since the time of Moses, the prophets had proclaimed a kingdom in which Israel would be the head & not the tail (Deut 28:13) God would set them above the nations of the earth (Deut 28:1). Messiah would rule from Jerusalem over the entire earth (Zec 14:9)

Luke 16:16 Jesus said, The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached

Matt 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and """preaching the gospel of the kingdom""", and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

The earth would under go a regeneration (Matt 19:28) a return to Edenic wonder. The animal kingdom would be at peace (Isa 11:6-8) A world without war (Isa 2:4) When John the Baptist appears, the gospel of the kingdom is added to the Law & the Prophets. The promised Messiah/King had arrived.

After the Jerusalem Council & destruction of the Temple. Paul’s gospel of by grace thru faith doctrine becomes the message for salvation. (Acts 20:24, 1 Cor 15:1-4).

This new gospel (Gal 1:11-12) is given to Paul by the RISEN Christ. Pauls gospel of grace doctrine supplants the gospel of the kingdom doctrine. Preached by John the Baptist (Matt 3:2), & preached by Jesus & the 12 during His earthly/fleshly ministry (Matt 4:23)

Its focus was not upon the identity of Messiah and His Kingdom promises to the Nation of Israel. But, upon the sin atoning, sacrifical work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul’s gospel of grace was that Christ died for our sins & rose from the dead (1 Cor 15.1-4). This gospel of salvation was not preached during Messiah's earthly ministry by Messiah's or His 12 chosen

Paul referred to this gospel as "my gospel" (Rom 2:16, 16:25, 2 Tim 2:8, Gal 2:2)

Matt 10:5-7 Read the text here: Jesus say's; PREACH ONLY: """To the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel"""

Jesus Kingdom message was for Jews only!
Matt 15:24 Jesus tells the gentile woman from Canaan:
"I am only sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel"

Paul teaches Rom 15:8:
"Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision"
for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision:
THATS TO JEWS ONLY!

The Jewish leadership rejected Jesus as their Messiah & had him killed

Pre-Cross: until the destruction of the Temple
The Gospel of the Kingdom was a collective message for the Nation of Israel only

Post-Cross:
The Gospel of Grace is an individually targeted message. Available to ALL, Jew or

The Book of James is written by a Jew under the law, to Jews under the law. Before the gospel of grace is implemented.

There is nothing in the Book of James, Peter, John or Jude that speak of the Body of Christ, the Church. Nothing of the power of the Resurrection, as found in Paul’s writings.

There all addressed to Jewish believers who had been scattered. All epistles steeped in Old Testament doctrines & prophecies laid out for the Nation of Israel.

Counsel at Jerusalem
Acts 15:
7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up & said unto them, Men & brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

13 And after they had held their peace, """James""" answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

22 Then pleased it """the apostles & elders""" with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul & Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas & Silas, chief men among the brethren:

23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; """The apostles, elders & (JEWISH) brethren""" send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria & Cilicia:

24 We have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised & keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment.
(THE APOSTLES LETTERS SAY: WE NEVER SAID YOU MUST BE CIRCUMCISED. NOR THAT YOU MUST KEEP THE LAW OF MOSES!)

All the Apostle's agree & send letters to ALL the Churches:

YOU DON'T NEED TO BE CIRCUMCISED OR KEEP THE LAW OF MOSES!

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace & truth came by Jesus Christ.

• Winner
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
James a Jew, is writing to Jews, BEFORE the Counsel at Jerusalem.
Actually, most scholars place it later, but prior to the destruction of the Temple in 70 ad.
Of course James himself was killed circa 66 ad.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All the Apostle's agree & send letters to ALL the Churches:
YOU DON'T NEED TO BE CIRCUMCISED OR KEEP THE LAW OF MOSES!
Only if you are a Gentile convert. It did not apply to Jews.

Go re-read Acts 21. (several years AFTER the Acts 15 council)

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't get to decide whether James' epistle is in the canon. It's in the canon because early Christians said it was. That's what the canon is: that body of writings that early Christians agreed were Scriptures accurately representing the ways that Jews and Christians had encountered God. I can agree or disagree with what James wrote, but the canon isn't mine to decide.

I actually like the book of James quite a bit. It's a good balance to Paul's emphasis on grace. It's very important to understand that we are saved by God's grace, but it's also important to remember that, having been saved, we're not supposed to take that as a license to mistreat the people around us. James is a reminder of that: We're saved so that we can do what is good.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It looks like there are denominations which do not consider the Epistle of James to be Canon Scripture.

If this is the case, I would appreciate if ones would share why you do not believe the letter of James needs to be included in the Canon.

And since we are in the "General Theology" place, I am asking you to give your theological reason > what do you find to be the theological meaning of James, which you would have a problem with?

Bill
The only ones that don't are those who can't reconcile that faith without works is dead when alone. However, when you read Hebrews 11, the great 'faith' chapter... what you find is Noach hearing that God will destroy the world and then him building. Abraham hears God tell him to move to a foreign land and then he gets up and moves. Every example is the same... they hear and then they DO. So James was simply sharing that concept and when we add it to what Paul said, it makes complete sense.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God

Faith without works is dead being alone

So we hear and then we do. And you know what, it has ALWAYS been this way. When we read back in Deut. "Hear O Israel" the word for "hear" is shema. Look it up in a lexicon and it will define it as "hear." Ask any serious Hebrew language "teacher," and without hesitation they will tell you that it means "hear and do."

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It looks like there are denominations which do not consider the Epistle of James to be Canon Scripture.
My first reaction is "Why limit the question to James?"

When considering Biblical canon, various other groups of honest and genuine Christians omit certain books and add others. Both James and Revelation were 'almost' left out of what mainstream (protestant) Christians consider the Bible. Martin Luther would rather James be left out.

The Roman Catholic Church opines the Apocrypha is part of the Bible. It is not in the 'protestant' Bible, as the books were not part of the Jewish canon of the Tanakh, nor do they have any additional theological or doctrinal information to impart. Obvious, the RCC differs in that conclusion.

The Book of Enoch is included in some canons.

Here's my thought: Does God effectively direct His followers in following Him? Secondarily, does God deal with all His followers in identical fashion? As I understand, the answers are "Yes" and "No", respectively. And I'm not going to tell God His methods and what He allows are faulty.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you misunderstand what I said, when I said that Lutherans do not have a strictly defined canon. That doesn't mean we don't consider James to be part of the Scriptures or that's it's not inspired. But we do not have a magisterium like in Roman Catholicism that defines these things dogmatically, we have creedal and confessional symbols and we have scholarly and theological debates about the merits of various books.

James is read in our churches regularly. We just consider it Scriptures upon the merits of the book within its properly understood context (as Law), and also because it has traditionally been so.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I can't think of any denomination that uses a Bible that omits the Epistle of James. If that's correct, I'd say that the whole idea behind this thread is mistaken.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is there a list of denominations that do not consider the Epistle of James to be in the canon of Scripture? Or is it just some people on the fringe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟35,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If this is the case, I would appreciate if ones would share why you do not believe the letter of James needs to be included in the Canon.

And since we are in the "General Theology" place, I am asking you to give your theological reason > what do you find to be the theological meaning of James, which you would have a problem with?

Bill
I have no problem with anything James spoke.
Some people are so sure it's easy to understand what Paul wrote, even when their understanding of his epistles contradicts the clear writings of other Apostles, such as Peter and James.
But Peter is clear, that it is the writings of Paul that contain things that are hard to be understood, and some people twist what Paul wrote, to their own destruction.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Are there even some on the fringe? Is such a Bible translation even in print?
Well they might have to pull a Jefferson and cut the offending parts out with a scissors.

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well they might have to pull a Jefferson and cut the offending parts out with a scissors.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
(PETER CALLS PAUL HIS BELOVED BROTHER. AND CONFIRMS PAULS WRITTINGS AS WISDOM.)

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
(HERE PETER CONFIRMS PAULS WRITTINGS ARE SCRIPTURE!)

JEWISH EPISTLES:
The epistles of James, Peter, John, Jude. Are each part & parcel of the Old Testament prophetic program laid out collectively for the Nation of Israel. Written primarily to Jewish believers of the Kingdom economy.
(FOOTNOTE: THE BOOK OF JAMES IS WRITTEN BEFORE THE COUNCIL AT JERUSALEM Acts 15. JAMES MESSAGE TAKES A MOMENTIS CHANGE AFTER THE COUNCIL AT JERUSALEM)

There is nothing in the Jewish epistles about the resurrection, which is central to our salvation. Or about Body of Christ, which NT believers have been baptized into via the Holy Spirit.

The Jewish epistles are preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom. Taught by John the Baptist, Jesus during His earthly ministry & by the Twelve. Thier salvation was collectively based upon believing that Jesus was Israel’s promised Messiah, coming to begin His Kingdom reign.(Matt 16:16; Jn 11:27; Acts 8:37).

Paul is CHOSEN & SENT to the GENTILES (Acts 26:16-17) by the RESURRECTED LORD JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF!

THE HEAVENLY MESSAGE THE RISEN LORD GIVES TO PAUL
Paul's message; is that FAITH in Jesus Sin Atoning Death, Burial & Resurrection leads to salvation (1 Cor 1:18, 15:1-4, 1 Tim 1:11)

The RISEN Lord gave Paul "a new gospel" (Gal 1:11-12). "Paul’s gospel of grace" (Acts 20:24) was different from the gospel of the Kingdom preached by Jesus & the 12. Rom 2:16, 16.25)

Its focus was not upon the identity of Messiah and His Kingdom promises to the Nation of Israel. But, upon the sin atoning, sacrificial work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul’s gospel of grace was that Christ died for our sins & rose from the dead (1 Cor 15.1-4). This gospel of salvation was not preached during Messiah's earthly ministry by Messiah's or His 12 chosen

Paul referred to this gospel as "my gospel" (Rom 2:16, 16:25, 2 Tim 2:8, Gal 2:2). It was different from the gospel Jesus & the 12 preached. Luke’s Acts account of the Council of Jerusalem make's this clear (Acts 15)

Paul revealed that his gospel was a "secret" (Rom 16:25). Again: The 12 had "NO" understanding Jesus would die & rise from the dead. Lk 18.31-34; Jn 20.3-10

HERE'S WHY GOD KEPT THE GOSPEL OF GRACE, A SECRET:
1 Cor 2:7 We speak the wisdom of God in a mystery (secret), even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world

8 No prince of this world knew: if they had known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory
(IF SATAN, THE PRINCE OF THIS WORLD HAD KNOWN. JESUS WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CRUCIFIED)

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS NEXT SCRIPTURE:
Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel
(God will judge men according to Paul's Gospel of Grace. Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
JEWISH EPISTLES:
The epistles of James, Peter, John, Jude. Are each part & parcel of the Old Testament prophetic program laid out collectively for the Nation of Israel. Written primarily to Jewish believers of the Kingdom economy.
(FOOTNOTE: THE BOOK OF JAMES IS WRITTEN BEFORE THE COUNCIL AT JERUSALEM Acts 15. JAMES MESSAGE TAKES A MOMENTIS CHANGE AFTER THE COUNCIL AT JERUSALEM)

There is nothing in the Jewish epistles about the resurrection, which is central to our salvation. Or about Body of Christ, which NT believers have been baptized into via the Holy Spirit.

The Jewish epistles are preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom. Taught by John the Baptist, Jesus during His earthly ministry & by the Twelve. Thier salvation was collectively based upon believing that Jesus was Israel’s promised Messiah, coming to begin His Kingdom reign.(Matt 16:16; Jn 11:27; Acts 8:37).

Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel
(God will judge men according to Paul's Gospel of Grace. Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith)
So have you taken out your scissors and cut out James, I and II Peter, the epistles of John, and Jude? Sounds like it.

• Agree
Reactions: PollyJetix
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So have you taken out your scissors and cut out James, I and II Peter, the epistles of John, and Jude? Sounds like it.

May I suggest Hooked-On-Phonics. When you've armed yourself with basic reading comprehension skills. Perhaps then we can try and have an adult conversation. Good luck & best wishes.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you misunderstand what I said,
Thank you, Fire Dragon for stopping in :)

@Albion Where I am coming from is I heard that Martin Luther, maybe earlier on, did not feel James is inspired or something like this; and so he did not want James to be in the Bible. But it seems then he became more open about it. In any case, by my question, I mean why would any Christian leaders or others have a concern about the letter of James?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Fire Dragon for stopping in :)

@Albion Where I am coming from is I heard that Martin Luther, maybe earlier on, did not feel James is inspired or something like this; and so he did not want James to be in the Bible. But it seems then he became more open about it. In any case, by my question, I mean why would any Christian leaders or others have a concern about the letter of James?
Well, that's right. We often say that all the Bible is God's word and no one should say that it's only partially so. But that doesn't make every part of it as powerful or as instructional as every other part.

Luther was deeply impressed by the Book of Romans which is a powerhouse by any reckoning. The Epistle of James, on the other hand, has one simple, almost obvious, point to make. So this is why Luther took his view about that. But I have also to point out that he didn't remove it from the Bible; all Lutherans use the same 66 book Bible as do almost all other Christians.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James is read in our churches regularly. We just consider it Scriptures upon the merits of the book within its properly understood context (as Law), and also because it has traditionally been so.
But didn't Martin Luther have problems with or questions about the Epistle of James? If so, what were his theological concerns?

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
(PETER CALLS PAUL HIS BELOVED BROTHER. AND CONFIRMS PAULS WRITTINGS AS WISDOM.)

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
(HERE PETER CONFIRMS PAULS WRITTINGS ARE SCRIPTURE!)

JEWISH EPISTLES:

Paul is CHOSEN & SENT to the GENTILES (Acts 26:16-17) by the RESURRECTED LORD JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF!

THE HEAVENLY MESSAGE THE RISEN LORD GIVES TO PAUL
Paul's message; is that FAITH in Jesus Sin Atoning Death, Burial & Resurrection leads to salvation (1 Cor 1:18, 15:1-4, 1 Tim 1:11)

The RISEN Lord gave Paul "a new gospel" (Gal 1:11-12). "Paul’s gospel of grace" (Acts 20:24) was different from the gospel of the Kingdom preached by Jesus & the 12. Rom 2:16, 16.25)

Its focus was not upon the identity of Messiah and His Kingdom promises to the Nation of Israel. But, upon the sin atoning, sacrificial work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul referred to this gospel as "my gospel" (Rom 2:16, 16:25, 2 Tim 2:8, Gal 2:2). It was different from the gospel Jesus & the 12 preached. Luke’s Acts account of the Council of Jerusalem make's this clear (Acts 15)

Paul revealed that his gospel was a "secret" (Rom 16:25). Again: The 12 had "NO" understanding Jesus would die & rise from the dead. Lk 18.31-34; Jn 20.3-10

HERE'S WHY GOD KEPT THE GOSPEL OF GRACE, A SECRET:
1 Cor 2:7 We speak the wisdom of God in a mystery (secret), even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world

8 No prince of this world knew: if they had known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory
(IF SATAN, THE PRINCE OF THIS WORLD HAD KNOWN. JESUS WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CRUCIFIED)

C.I. Scofield taught me that too...didn't buy it, put his bible on the shelf.

Upvote 0